Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Been a while since I last posted, unfortunately I haven't really had the chance to play much. Been feeling run down and sickly for the past 6 weeks or so.

I've modified my categories on Steam to reflect which games I'm currently focused on. I've only bought 2 or 3 more games since I made the thread, so I'm slowing down. One of those was my 3 focus games (Portal 2, the others 2 being DNF and Deus Ex 3)

I started playing Plants vs Zombis on and off. Metro 2033 I'm stuck at the library. AvP 2k I'm just not feeling like playing it, so I might abandon it for the time being.

I've updated the second page. I'm sorry if I skipped anyone. I'm also going to look for a semi-decent replacement for the Backloggery since signups are still down. There is RaptR, but I'm not sure of the whole social engineering feeling behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
Started Red Faction: Guerrilla, then after 8 hours, dropped it with no desire to finish. Running around being Space rear end in a top hat is fun for a while, but the missions are a pain in the rear end,the game is buggy as hell, and even though it boasts and auto-save, I lost 20 minutes of progress somehow after its third CTD today which is completely unacceptable. The best part is to even start, I had to read the Steam forums to discover that it has to be forced to DX9 mode to even work for a lot of people (including me). Oh yea, and infinitely spawning enemies always pisses me off to no end.
In turn, I started Devil May Cry 4, and talk about a drastic difference. Much more personality, far more interesting graphics, and a blast to play.

That said, I'm not getting anywhere because even with my increased progress, I'm still not improving because of Steam's ridiculousness this past week I'm getting games just as fast as I go through them.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

SixOhSix posted:

Started Red Faction: Guerrilla, then after 8 hours, dropped it with no desire to finish. Running around being Space rear end in a top hat is fun for a while, but the missions are a pain in the rear end,the game is buggy as hell, and even though it boasts and auto-save, I lost 20 minutes of progress somehow after its third CTD today which is completely unacceptable. The best part is to even start, I had to read the Steam forums to discover that it has to be forced to DX9 mode to even work for a lot of people (including me). Oh yea, and infinitely spawning enemies always pisses me off to no end.
In turn, I started Devil May Cry 4, and talk about a drastic difference. Much more personality, far more interesting graphics, and a blast to play.

That said, I'm not getting anywhere because even with my increased progress, I'm still not improving because of Steam's ridiculousness this past week I'm getting games just as fast as I go through them.

I hear ya. RFG is one of those games that are fun to play around for a few hours, but really stale after a while. The gameplay is extremely thin propped up by being able to destroy buildings and bridges. There were various times I nearly quit playing, but I decided to keep going. And let me tell you: you're not missing anything. Overall, it took me 16 hours to beat (I stuck it on easy and plowed through).

I'm going to try and truck through Assassin's Creed 1 because I want to play the others since they're supposedly much improved... although, I somehow doubt that. I don't know if I'll ever finish it, especially with Portal 2 coming soon.

Migishu posted:

I've updated the second page. I'm sorry if I skipped anyone. I'm also going to look for a semi-decent replacement for the Backloggery since signups are still down. There is RaptR, but I'm not sure of the whole social engineering feeling behind it.

Raptr is nothing special... and really only tracks what you're currently playing. It's no better than looking at a steam profile and looking at the counted hours. The only difference, mainly, is that they count your 360 playtime as well (but not PS3).

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 18, 2011

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Far Cry has been added to the "Completed, or close enough" category now that I've been stuck at the end of a level, trying to shoot down a helicopter on on a sinking ship, that takes at least 6 rockets to down. What a bunch of poo poo. After 13 hours, and 75% of the way through the game, I'm done with it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Half-Life 2 is finished, as is the Lost Coast tech demo, because what the heck, it's like 15 minutes. I'm a few hours into Deus Ex: Invisible War and it isn't nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe, though some of the technical jackassery is hilariously incompetent.

I'd mind the constant zoning a lot less if zoning didn't look like a crash to desktop, guys. Seriously, have some pride in your work.

I spent most of my gaming time messing around with the Portal 2 ARG silliness, though. I had all of those indie games on my list anyway, so I messed with the bonus levels, experimented with the games I hadn't tried at all, and then let it idle on the games that needed it.

As a result of that experimentation, I'm a lot more excited about eventually getting to Defense Grid and The Ball.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

ManxomeBromide posted:

Half-Life 2 is finished, as is the Lost Coast tech demo, because what the heck, it's like 15 minutes. I'm a few hours into Deus Ex: Invisible War and it isn't nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe, though some of the technical jackassery is hilariously incompetent.

Invisible War is a 7/10 or 8/10 game. It was never really really bad just it wasn't anywhere near as good as the first one (a bit like DA:O/DA2). I read an interview that tried to explain why it went so bad... Apparently they weren't sure if they would still be using the Unreal engine or not so some of the levels are smaller and designed with that in mind and some are a lot larger and designed for the engine that they actually went with.

It doesn't explain why the story isn't as good as the first one, but that answers one of the many questions that you find yourself asking when playing. I still don't know why they went with some design choices... Like one type of ammo? :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
From what I heard they had originally planned on using the Unreal engine but someone internally convinced them that they could do better making and using their own engine. Well it turns out he was full of poo poo and was shitcanned after churning out a garbage product leaving the rest of the development team to try and make the best of it with not a whole lot of time to work with. That and having to get it working on the OG Xbox.

But besides the horrendous optimization problems (the game still doesn't run smooth on some modern machines) the absolute worst thing about the game is that characters' eyes are just painted onto their faces, something that games had risen above like five years prior. Everyone just looks goddamn bad.

Thankfully they managed to get their poo poo working a hell of a lot better for Thief 3.

PandasEVERYWHERE
Feb 16, 2009
Guys, I fell of the wagon and bought the GTA series and Killing Floor. Oh, and Portal 2 got released. :smith:

The good news is I have beaten III and Vice city on the PS2.

I also got most of the way through Serious Sam, I'm stuck on the bull running part. Honestly I think I'm just gonna put that into the finished pile, since the games is getting tedious. It's a good game, but it's starting to get repetitive.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
The Invisible War is over.

Lurchibles posted:

It doesn't explain why the story isn't as good as the first one, but that answers one of the many questions that you find yourself asking when playing.

Honestly, I was a conspiracy buff as a kid, so the first game's story didn't blow me away - I'd seen it all before, but I could at least admire the craft. I think Invisible War managed a similar level of craft, but it's kind of hard to loot the entire world of conspiracy theories for a new setting when you already looted it all for the first game. So I came into both with about the same level of jadedness one would expect for, oh, Mass Effect and its mishmash of sci-fi cliches.

So I can see where Deus Ex could be a revelation that no sequel could hope to match, but the craft in Invisible War was pretty good too - I think it did a decent job of running the "what happens next?" part. Was there anything in particular that offended you about the plot here? Genuinely curious because outside of the (many) technical issues, everything in Invisible War was acceptable-to-great.

The final level's design was well-done, too; I liked the setup, in which everything's going down at one place, so every major named conspiracy shows up and brings an army - it's up to you to pick a side and have them win. Mega bonus points for the fact that if you flip out and try to kill everyone, the psychopathic cyborg gun runners take over because now there's nobody left to oppose them. I dub this the "You Missed A Spot" ending.

I was also greatly amused by the sidequest chain whose terrible secret was that Starbucks and Seattle's Best Coffee are actually the same company, not to mention how much they didn't file the serial numbers off. One of the major players is named after the first name seriously considered for its real-life equivalent.

The technical problems still make it a hard game to recommend unless you happen to own it already for some reason, though. Short game, was absolutely worth the time I spent playing through it.

I guess I'll be taking on the HL2 Episodes next.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I have not touched PC games in a while, serious sam 2 hasn't been beaten yet. As the other guy says, these games get repetitive. I think those games are meant to be played in coop. I've been focusing on my many console games lately with good progress. Link to the past and ff13 are finally beaten and now I'm working on Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 2.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

PandasEVERYWHERE posted:

Guys, I fell of the wagon and bought the GTA series and Killing Floor. Oh, and Portal 2 got released. :smith:

Did almost the exact same thing. At least I'm over halfway done with Portal 2 already. :unsmith:

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

ManxomeBromide posted:

Was there anything in particular that offended you about the plot here? Genuinely curious because outside of the (many) technical issues, everything in Invisible War was acceptable-to-great.

It's been a while so sorry if I get names wrong. The "twist" where you find out that "The Order" and "Unatco" (was it Unatco in this game? The other guys) were "on the same side" was so poorly delivered it just felt pathetic. There was a great build up, but I felt like I was going to have to make a decision to stand with one or the other, to find out that my actions aligning myself with one side up to that point were irrelevant just ruined the mid-point of the game (for me).

The ending was a bit bizarre as well, it made JC and Paul seem like they were some sort of great messiahs coming to save us. Which isn't how I felt about them after the first game.

It wasn't a bad game, those are the points that ruined it for me and knocked it short of greatness.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Currently doing: Borderlands.

After that likely back to HL2 and Sam and Max.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I started Half Life 2: Episode 2 yesterday, and I'm almost onto the 6th chapter. It has gone fast, and has been fun. Way too much antlion killing for my tastes though.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

americanzero4128 posted:

Way too much antlion killing for my tastes though.

That section definitely felt drawn out, it's not enough that you evade that crazy guard for ages but you have to defend Alyx for ages! Just too drawn out, but the game is still fantastic.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lurchibles posted:

That section definitely felt drawn out, it's not enough that you evade that crazy guard for ages but you have to defend Alyx for ages! Just too drawn out, but the game is still fantastic.

It's like you read my mind. I really wish I could have left Alyx to die but "Gordon, you always find a way" :swoon:

mrbo
Apr 4, 2008
update time!

FarCry: Mostly fun, but the difficulty spikes and no quicksave make it pretty frustrating. Also guys could see/shoot me through walls sometimes (?)
Darksiders: Pretty cruisy, would recommend it but wouldn't play it again.
Alpha Protocol: Awesome, really dug it - but I seemed to skip most of the bugs.
Quake II: Somehow aged worse than Quake 1? A lot easier than I remember as a kid.
Rogue Trooper: I want to like it, the chatter from your gear makes it pretty engaging but feels a bit unfinished. Also drat short, steam says 5 hours.

Was trying Mirrors Edge next, but it made me a bit seasick, so going for Tomb Raider: Legend.

I've finished 9 games since I started this, so feeling better about the size of that list.

mrbo
Apr 4, 2008

americanzero4128 posted:

Yeah, Far Cry has been added to the "Completed, or close enough" category now that I've been stuck at the end of a level, trying to shoot down a helicopter on on a sinking ship, that takes at least 6 rockets to down. What a bunch of poo poo. After 13 hours, and 75% of the way through the game, I'm done with it.

What worked for me here was wandering out to the back of the ship to trigger the heli spawn, then hauling rear end back to the room with the steering wheel and using the walls as cover. All the ammo/health in there despawns (wtf cryteam?) so you have to be careful with your rockets. Takes about 6 hits yeah.

I reckon you're a bit less than 75% through by content though, that's the first real tough part and there are three or four big ones coming.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
So I guess I should throw my hat in the ring. My Steam collection is 138 games large. I haven't finished a fifth of that. I have barely played a quarter of it. I have about 15 games I juggle, and a few staples such as Team Fortress 2 or The Sims 3 just for when I feel like playing something for the sake of playing, not to complete it.

Recently dropped Crysis 2. It is very pretty, and I am sure I will get back to it soon enough, but the story was unremarkable and the art direction is dull. Portal 2 time!

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mrbo posted:

What worked for me here was wandering out to the back of the ship to trigger the heli spawn, then hauling rear end back to the room with the steering wheel and using the walls as cover. All the ammo/health in there despawns (wtf cryteam?) so you have to be careful with your rockets. Takes about 6 hits yeah.

I reckon you're a bit less than 75% through by content though, that's the first real tough part and there are three or four big ones coming.

I had tried hiding in the room with the steering wheel, but I kept getting shot by the chopper when I popped my head out to shoot it. The despawning poo poo really pissed me off too. I read and saw I had 5 levels left after I beat it, that's where I got the 75% from. Thought it was close. I guess I'm not a good enough gamer to beat this game. I uninstalled it in a fit of rage.

Horse Pro
Mar 25, 2007

Social Activist, Philanthropist, Youtube Extraordinaire
The summer's coming up, which means valve is probably going to do their semi-annual two-week sales. I'm assuming this thread is going to be the crisis center for those addicted?

I think I really found I had a problem when I bought Flatout on christmas last year. It's been over a year since I bought red faction: guerilla and I haven't even installed it. I'm only two chapters into dead space 1 and I'm afraid of starting it up because people will see on my friends list and they'll be like "HAHAHH why are you playing that old-rear end game!??!" I know I can go invisible, and I do, but the irrational fear is still there.

I have a problem.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Horse Pro posted:

The summer's coming up, which means valve is probably going to do their semi-annual two-week sales. I'm assuming this thread is going to be the crisis center for those addicted?

I think I really found I had a problem when I bought Flatout on christmas last year. It's been over a year since I bought red faction: guerilla and I haven't even installed it. I'm only two chapters into dead space 1 and I'm afraid of starting it up because people will see on my friends list and they'll be like "HAHAHH why are you playing that old-rear end game!??!" I know I can go invisible, and I do, but the irrational fear is still there.

I have a problem.

I'm hoping for an Easter Sale... I guess we'll see :D

As for your friends judging you for playing old games, it doesn't matter what they think. I regularly fire up Mysteries of the Sith and Deus Ex over Steam, if anyone asks me why I respond with: "Just reliving the glory days."

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Portal 2 :negative:

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
I own 218 Steam games. I think I've finished maybe 30 of them, started around 100. I have two weeks off so I'm trying to finish at least a half dozen games, starting with Bully because once R* announces GTAV I will have no more motivation to finish a lovely outdated R* game. It's pretty fun so far. Planning on starting Sanctum next, though I don't know if that game has a campaign mode.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Starting to put my library in virtual shelf form. It is actually pretty depressing.

http://darkadia.com/member/TheVelvetAnt/library

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Horse Pro posted:

I have a problem.

Anyone who gives you poo poo for playing an awesome game like Dead Space should not be your friend. And, that game is only a few years old - I regularly play stuff originally released 5 or more years ago. If a game is fun to play, why feel any shame about it?

Anyway, I finished Zeno Clash a few weeks ago, and then moved on to F.E.A.R. Goddamn did that game get boring quickly. I only played an hour or two, but it seemed like it was all endless warehouses punctuated by not-really-scary jump cut scenes with the girl from Ring. So, I deleted that and then got distracted by the Potato pack games. I already had most of them, but typically, hadn't played much (only AaaaAAaa, Toki Tori, Rush and Cogs in any serious way.) I'm now really digging Defense Grid and I will finish that shortly.

In addition, I replayed Portal 1 and finished Portal 2 last night. Holy poo poo, it really is one of the best games ever. I'm a full-out Steam sale addict and I hate paying retail for any game, but it is easily worth the $40 I paid (it's worth twice that, at least). Once I finish the co-op and a second single player run, I'll move on to Hitman: Blood Money.

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...

Thewittyname posted:

I'll move on to Hitman: Blood Money.

You will not be disappointed.

Anyway, as for me, I don't really have a problem buying games I don't want when it comes to Steam. I mean, even if the deal is really good, I won't buy the game unless I'm sure I want to play it.... Although I have a few titles I need to get through. PS3, however...

I decided to do 2 games at a time, one PC and one PS3, doing an RNG for unbeaten games.

for my PC, first one up is Zeno Clash

I bought the game thinking it looked fun but never got around to playing it because I was obsessed with Team Fortress 2 at the time. So hopefully this will be fun

for PS3 it's Assassins Creed: Brotherhood.

god damnit... Don't get me wrong, the AC games are fun, but they're loving massive games

Cryptobotanist fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 21, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I plowed through AC:B taking my time dicking around killing guards and getting in chases and everything in about 20h.
That was doing enough stuff to get 88.61% overall sync and I did everything except getting flags and 100% on all missions.

So I wouldn't say it is a massive game to beat the storyline off, I could have done that in 12h without rushing and enjoying it. I just like to pretend a 12h singleplayer isn't considered massive nowadays. :(

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Portal 2 :negative:

Fear not, it won't take long to get it beaten, I just finished it this morning!

seriously!
Jun 27, 2010

by angerbeet
So I too have developed this steam problem. Since last fall, I've been snatching every game that interested me which was cheap or steeply discounted. Nearly every item I bought was usually in the $2.5 to $10, disregarding a few careless splurges when I first got a gaming computer. Given my cheapness, the result is that the calculator yields something $250 invested in Steam games, but a backlog of 40 games I've yet to play.

One problem is that the sheer choice of having so many games to play means I'm reluctant to choose to play any of them. After all, maybe I could be having more fun with any of the 39 other games than the one I'm currently playing? I sit down to play, say, Torchlight, but I'm certain at the same time that there are those big outrageous battles going on in Battlefield Bad Company 2, which I occasionally dabble in. And of course I get similar thoughts about other games when I do play BFBC2!

I think it's a Paradox of Choice situation I'm in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice:_Why_More_Is_Less

I incidentally also had the same habit with books, having consistently gone to local library book sales over the last five years and acquiring something like 200 books I haven't really had the time to read.

Another issue people (and myself) may need to realize is that since gaming has become so popular over the years, with the number of games released growing every year, you will simply not have the time to play all the good games just as you don't have the time to read all the good books, and considering that about 2k games are released every year, if even 5% of them are good, that's a shitload of good games to get through.

For that reason, I will not buy another game period until I finish all the ones I have:

quote:

Max Payne Bundle

Borderlands GOTY

GTA IV Complete Bundle

Super Meat Boy

Mass Effect 2

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box

Everyday Genius: SquareLogic

Winterbottom

Peggle Deluxe,

Oddworld Abes Exoddus

Trine

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition,

F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition,

Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands,

Flight Control HD

Just Cause 2

The Orange Box

Tropico 3 Gold

Dawn of War II Gold

Defense Grid: The Awakening

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Dogfighter

Titan Quest Gold

Left 4 Dead Bundle

Droplitz

Monkey Island:SE Bundle

Star Wars: KOTOR

Company of Heroes

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete

Mass Effect

Torchlight

Geometry Wars

Crysis Complete (NA)

Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition

Plus a bunch of PS3 games and the Starcraft 2 campaign.

seriously! fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 21, 2011

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
^^^^^
You can finish Flight Control HD and PB Winterbottom in a few hours each.
Also, Geometry Wars has no end to my knowledge.

--

Personally, I've been playing through the F.E.A.R. series, already completed F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin and F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn, and am now onto F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point.

Plus I beat the single player of Portal 2, obviously.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

seriously! posted:

For that reason, I will not buy another game period until I finish all the ones I have:

Super Meat Boy is designed to test you to destruction, and SquareLogic has, at minimum, around 100,000 puzzles. You may want to redefine "finish" in both. (Your "maximum" minimum for SMB should probably be "Beat the Light World", and a decent endpoint for SquareLogic is "complete all Challenge Puzzles".)

That said, there is some very solid stuff on that list and you're in for a good ride.

If you want suggestions, I'd suggest either Deus Ex or Mass Effect for your first "full-size game" go, and to space Civ III and Civ IV far apart. There's heavy discussion of Civ IV earlier in this thread, but Civ IV is actually designed to punish players who attempt Civ III strategies. (Also: only bother installing Civ IV: Beyond the Sword; it has all the previous expansions in it and the best-receieved version of Civ IV is the BtS version).

Deus Ex: Invisible War spoiler discussion continued below:

Lurchables posted:

to find out that my actions aligning myself with one side up to that point were irrelevant just ruined the mid-point of the game (for me).

That actually worked surprisingly well for me, because in Deus Ex 1, I had split the endings into 'become more than human to make a better civilization possible', 'build a civilization around humanity as we know it to be', and 'destroy civilization as a corrupting influence'. Both The Order and the WTO fit that middle option, and I'd actually observed to someone who'd played it "gee, both options match my reading of the Illuminati, so I've just been selecting options from case to case" and they understandably started biting their tongue really hard.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dorepoll posted:

Starting to put my library in virtual shelf form. It is actually pretty depressing.

http://darkadia.com/member/TheVelvetAnt/library

I did this. How did I get so many games?

http://darkadia.com/member/americanzero4128/library

Onto Chapter 6 in Episode 2. Nearly done. After I get through this I am going to keep going in Burnout Paradise and Freedom Force. Once I finish those two I think I might try an RTS.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Lost track of the thread for a while. I finished my Mass Effect game, as well as a few other games on the 360 after my PC died. Luckily Puzzle Quest has Steam cloud, so I was able to access my save file to finish it on my laptop.

Completed 360:
Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition - Holy poo poo was this game long. Really enjoyed it.
Vanquish - Picked this up during a Gamefly 50% off month trial. Beat it in two days. Really short, but a whole lot of fun.

First game I played and finished on the new PC was Portal. Wasn't able to run it well enough before. Just in time for Portal 2, but I haven't picked it up yet.
Playing through Borderlands now. Finishing the second playthrough tomorrow, and then giving the DLC a once through and done with it.

I'll be starting my Mass Effect 2 playthrough on the 360 in the next week or so. Just waiting for my Gamefly month sub to be over, still waiting to see what the next game they are sending. Not sure what I'll be starting next on the PC.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Okay, Persona 3 Portable is goddamn interminable. Every time I think I'm near the endgame, it turns out that "endgame" consists of dozens of floors more Tartarus. I'm over 100 hours total playtime now.

I'm going to have to play something else for a change. If I see another dark floor, or some other waste-of-time crap, I swear I will break something.

I don't want to begin another 100+ hour RPG though. Can anyone throw an estimate which would be shorter, Uplink or Darwinia?

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

StoryTime posted:

Okay, Persona 3 Portable is goddamn interminable. Every time I think I'm near the endgame, it turns out that "endgame" consists of dozens of floors more Tartarus. I'm over 100 hours total playtime now.

I'm going to have to play something else for a change. If I see another dark floor, or some other waste-of-time crap, I swear I will break something.

I don't want to begin another 100+ hour RPG though. Can anyone throw an estimate which would be shorter, Uplink or Darwinia?

I recommend you keep going but only while listening to podcasts or something other than the game while not in a cutscene, trust me it helps and the final part of the game is really cool!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Vince Videogames posted:

I recommend you keep going but only while listening to podcasts or something other than the game while not in a cutscene, trust me it helps and the final part of the game is really cool!

I'm not planning to let it hang for long, couple of days max. I just don't want to ruin the ending for myself by blowing through it while kind of pissed off at the game.

seriously!
Jun 27, 2010

by angerbeet

ManxomeBromide posted:

Super Meat Boy is designed to test you to destruction, and SquareLogic has, at minimum, around 100,000 puzzles. You may want to redefine "finish" in both. (Your "maximum" minimum for SMB should probably be "Beat the Light World", and a decent endpoint for SquareLogic is "complete all Challenge Puzzles".)

I could've sworn there was some sort of progression menu in SqaureLogic after you hit "play." You mean the puzzles you encounter after hitting "play" basically go on forever? At least it's good to know I can be playing this game ten years from now. I've also played the early levels of SMB (and beat the first boss) so I'm familiar with the difficulty of the game (or maybe not.)

quote:

If you want suggestions, I'd suggest either Deus Ex or Mass Effect for your first "full-size game" go, and to space Civ III and Civ IV far apart. There's heavy discussion of Civ IV earlier in this thread, but Civ IV is actually designed to punish players who attempt Civ III strategies. (Also: only bother installing Civ IV: Beyond the Sword; it has all the previous expansions in it and the best-receieved version of Civ IV is the BtS version).

I have actually been playing Mass Effect since August. There's a good chance I'm halfway done.

I think it's good time to mention that I do spend a fair amount time playing games, but that 95% of that time is spent on Starcraft 2 multi-player. For some reason, everything else in comparison feels insubstantial, including that game's single player, which I haven't touched.

And I think a goal that can work in "Forever" type games like Civ is to perhaps aim to beat the AI at a certain level. I've actually played some Civ III but have not managed to even beat the AI on the second level difficulty. But boy do I love that game's aesthetic and music (especially the modern era music).

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

StoryTime posted:

Can anyone throw an estimate which would be shorter, Uplink or Darwinia?

Probably Darwinia. There's a very obvious and natural progression, and the game itself isn't too difficult. I haven't played Uplink in a while, but from what I remember, it's possible to screw yourself over and be unable to finish the game, requiring a restart. It's also a bit more sandboxy, and you might spend some time early on just messing about, but not actually driving the story forward. That said, I've never actually completed Uplink (it's on my list) so I don't know how long the main story really is. Then again, I have completed Darwinia, so that probably says something too.

As for myself, I would like to participate in the thread here, as I've just taken inventory of all my digitally distributed games. I have 105 in all from Steam, GOG, and D2D, and have completed very very few. Right now, I'm focusing on Alpha Protocol, trying to complete the game at least once - although I might play through a second time to see at least some of the extra paths available.

I've also got a Morrowind GOTY save that I pop into every now and then. I've completed the main quest once before, but I've still never gone anywhere near the expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

seriously! posted:

I could've sworn there was some sort of progression menu in SquareLogic after you hit "play."

Yeah. There are a 7 or 8 regions, each of which has ten or so zones. Each zone has 12 practice puzzles, which you do in order, and then a "Challenge puzzle". At any point you can skip to the Challenge puzzle. Once you complete the Challenge puzzle, the next zone unlocks, and then about 900 additional puzzles in that zone are unlocked. The "100,000" was sort of a back-of-the-envelope calculation.

So yeah, not only will it probably still be there to play ten years later, it's even fairly reasonable. It's the only Sudoku variant I've ever actually enjoyed messing with.

londonmoose posted:

I've never actually completed Uplink (it's on my list) so I don't know how long the main story really is. Then again, I have completed Darwinia, so that probably says something too.

I didn't do anything abusive and I beat Uplink in 14 hours. You do need to take a little initiative to make the plot start, I think, but it might start forcing itself on you later on. Once you've started the main arc, there are only a very small number of missions that are truly "main plot arc" missions. There are a few other "arc" missions but I believe every single one is optional.

(Uplink is very sandboxy. You can pull off some insanely profitable but very difficult optional hacks and use the proceeds to utterly break the game.)

Also, if you're playing for "winning", keep backups of your saves. Get caught by anyone important not only will your game end, your profile will be destroyed.

(Meanwhile, I haven't completed Darwinia, but it's on my list.)