Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

weirdojace posted:

From the New York Times...

I'm glad it had a happy ending after all.

What's weird is it sounds like there should have been no confusion to begin with. They double checked, explained the whole charity aspect, and got a confirmed "No" from her manager:

NYTimes posted:

Q. Did you get any explanation of why Lady Gaga said no?
A. No. We’ve been asking. After she said no initially, we went back to her and explained the whole charity thing. I even said that I’d be willing to revise my lyrics if there was anything in there that was potentially really offensive to her. I kind of feel bad that I even did that, because that sounds kind of pathetic. But I really wanted this parody to come out, and I was willing to bend over, even further than I had already. But we got no response, and after a week they just confirmed that the answer was still no. At that point I decided that I would leak it out there.
So unless she actually is backpedaling (which I doubt she'd do), then the manager must have just lied to him and said no without ever getting Gaga's input. I'm glad it's all resolved but it should have happened before it all went public because it just makes everyone involved look silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

wa27 posted:

What's weird is it sounds like there should have been no confusion to begin with. They double checked, explained the whole charity aspect, and got a confirmed "No" from her manager:

So unless she actually is backpedaling (which I doubt she'd do), then the manager must have just lied to him and said no without ever getting Gaga's input. I'm glad it's all resolved but it should have happened before it all went public because it just makes everyone involved look silly.

Yeah, something about all of this just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's backpedaling on her part (but like you said, backpedaling isn't really like her), so that means that either the manager lied or Al is full of poo poo.

Or the manager lied AND Al is just being really whiny.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dancingthroughlife posted:

That's an awful parody and Weird Al should be ashamed of it. The whole thing basically attacks her, instead of making light fun of a song like 'Eat it.'

Weird Al songs frequently poke fun at the artist.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It sounds alot like what happened with Isaac Hayes and South Park where his Scientologist managers quit for him and he was the last to find out or when the Ventur Bros writers tried to get Colbert back for some voicework after he'd got famous and his manager just told them Colbert wasn't interested without asking him.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

TOOT BOOT posted:

Weird Al songs frequently poke fun at the artist.
My husband was just telling me that. Oh well. :blush:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dancingthroughlife posted:

My husband was just telling me that. Oh well. :blush:
He would be the first to poke fun at himself as well.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
http://alyankovic.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/gaga-update/

Gaga's manager admitted never showing her the song, now that she's aware of what's going on she approves of it, everyone's happy.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Yep. All is well. Here's the blog post:

Weird Al's blog posted:

Well, this was a strange day.

After putting my Lady Gaga parody on YouTube this morning – and announcing that it wouldn’t be on my next album because Gaga didn’t approve it – there was a huge outpouring of disappointment from the Internet.

Apparently the fact that she didn’t approve it was news to Lady Gaga herself!

Gaga’s manager has now admitted that he never forwarded my parody to Gaga – she had no idea at all. Even though we assumed that Gaga herself was the one making the decision (because, well, that’s what we were TOLD), he apparently made the decision completely on his own.

He’s sorry.

And Gaga loves the song.

I’m thrilled on many levels to hear this, because 1) I truly respect and admire Gaga as an artist and it pained me to think of her as having less than a great sense of humor, and 2) it means I GET TO PUT OUT MY ALBUM!

As promised, all my proceeds from the song (and the MUSIC VIDEO… I can’t wait…) will go to the Human Rights Campaign.

Thank you, Gaga. And thanks to everybody who had my back.

Whew!

Your pal,
Al

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
Swing your swift sword now
What a douchey thing the manager did.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I'm sure the manager makes tons of decisions a day on her behalf, as I'm sure she hired him to do. He probably should have used more caution in his decision with something like this, though.

It's good it all worked out in the end, though. :)

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 21, 2011

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'd probably sack someone if they got in the way of Weird Al parodying me.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Legs Benedict posted:

Yeah, something about all of this just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's backpedaling on her part (but like you said, backpedaling isn't really like her), so that means that either the manager lied or Al is full of poo poo.

Or the manager lied AND Al is just being really whiny.

Where is he being whiney? I'm not an Al fan, it's kinda silly humour at best but every single time I've seen him referenced he seems like such a stand up guy, so nice, willing to donate all this money from this song that will probably sell a shitload like the last one did to charity just because. He jumped through hoops just to get this done, and I'd be frustrated too. I know it's gaga and she can DO NO WRONG but maybe take off your blinders with this. Although it all turned out to be gaga's stupid manager anyway.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

teacup posted:

Where is he being whiney? I'm not an Al fan, it's kinda silly humour at best but every single time I've seen him referenced he seems like such a stand up guy, so nice, willing to donate all this money from this song that will probably sell a shitload like the last one did to charity just because. He jumped through hoops just to get this done, and I'd be frustrated too. I know it's gaga and she can DO NO WRONG but maybe take off your blinders with this. Although it all turned out to be gaga's stupid manager anyway.

Well, it is a little dodgy that even though Weird Al won't release a parody without an artist's permission, if he doesn't get the permission he'll publicise that, thus leading to bad PR for whoever says no to him.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Well, it is a little dodgy that even though Weird Al won't release a parody without an artist's permission, if he doesn't get the permission he'll publicise that, thus leading to bad PR for whoever says no to him.

From the statements/interviews I gathered that he released it only because it was already recorded anyway. Which in turn it was because "Lady Gaga" in form of her manager insisted on hearing the finished song.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Mr. Flunchy posted:

He explained all of this. He has a personal point of not making money if someone isn't going to give permission. But he's well within his rights and the law to release this. He didn't have to ask at all. He could release an entire album of parodies abusing her and it'd probably be fine.

She (her management team) wasted his time and potentially money and charities money in the end with this so I think he's in the clear. I really don't see how anyone can look at this and see him as whiney when all he was trying to do was have some fun.

This is from a totally hetero but gay for gaga guy who isn't a fan of Weird Al so you know :)

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
Nuh uh.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 3, 2017

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Contemplating Jazz posted:

Wasn't a huge fan of Born This Way (still dance to it in the car though, not gonna lie) but I am really love Judas. It seems to be getting a lot of hate, and a lot of people are saying it sounds like Bad Romance. Is that only because they can't see past the JuDAH ju-da-ahs in the beginning? I can't hear any other similarities, and to be honest I didn't even think of Bad Romance when I heard that.

I heard it on the radio for the first time the other day and the first thing I thought of was Bad Romance. The song seems to have similar transitions and when I heard it again yesterday I could basically sing the chorus to Bad Romance over the chorus of Judas and it fit pretty well.

Then you throw in the Judah-ah-as part and that furthers the comparisons.

It honestly reminds me more of Bad Romance than Born This Way did with Express Yourself... but I had never heard Express Yourself before Born This Way so I had nothing to go on for that and still don't think they sound that similar.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Glad is was a miscommunication. I figured Gaga would love that poo poo.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Meanwhile, here's Glee's lovely cover of Born This Way. They sound really loving bored.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

I made it exactly 41 seconds into that. Jesus Christ.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

sonicice posted:

Meanwhile, here's Glee's lovely cover of Born This Way. They sound really loving bored.

Yeah I heard this today holy poo poo. I'm sure some of them can sing but whoever is engineering the Glee kids over-produces it so much that it sounds like what a computer would create as a simulation of pop music.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
Yeah I remember when I heard their version of Bad Romance, I was like "hey! It's singing robots!"

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

CiandiMarie13 posted:

aye lady gaga...I've heard that ur a christian or catholic? anyway u sing on ur church...u love god but when u went famous u became a demon...i dont know why ur  making demon songs...one advice STOP STUPID SONGS LIKE THIS! u know JUDAS is a demon a guy who sold jesus pfor a piece of gold...

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
CiandiMarie13 does bring up a few good points.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

sonicice posted:

They sound like they get cut off slightly at the end of every line, they all end so sharply. I dig Glee and I love Gaga but the two should never mix ever again.

SilverThread
Jun 18, 2004

Kick the Emo
I've lately been reflecting on my Lady Gaga concert experience, and I became obsessed with watching the concert interlude videos. I don't think anyone's mentioned these in the thread so far.

While the concert itself was amazing, these films were the most memorable part of the show.

Intro- "Dance in the Dark"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9PlX1tXXU&feature=related

"Vomit/Puke/Exorcist"
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe4ydq_lady-gaga-the-puke-vomit-exorcist-i_music

"The City"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4SSUcUqvc8&feature=related

"Put Your Paws Up"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6fyhl-A1AQ

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

SilverThread posted:

I've lately been reflecting on my Lady Gaga concert experience, and I became obsessed with watching the concert interlude videos. I don't think anyone's mentioned these in the thread so far.

While the concert itself was amazing, these films were the most memorable part of the show.

"Vomit/Puke/Exorcist"
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe4ydq_lady-gaga-the-puke-vomit-exorcist-i_music

"The City"

"Put Your Paws Up"

Hell yes, the overall production values of the concert were more than anything I had ever seen before. It all blew me away. I won't say it was the best song backdrop in the entire concert, but the one for Teeth was my favorite.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

SilverThread posted:

"Vomit/Puke/Exorcist"

"The City"

"Put Your Paws Up"

These things made the concert go from "great concert" to "one of the best experiences in my life", seriously. The crowd went completely mad when these were on.

edit: drat you, now I REALLY want to go to another show. Hope she visits Europe again soon.

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 24, 2011

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Dance in the Dark is a Gaga-ified Careless Whisper, but that's okay because Careless Whisper owns

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Sulk posted:

Dance in the Dark is a Gaga-ified Careless Whisper, but that's okay because Careless Whisper owns

I've always heard a bit of ABBA's Super Trouper in there too.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Does someone know how to view a board member's past avatars? I know there is a way. I had a Gaga one before I was banned, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to access it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

angerbot posted:

?

Thank you, angerbot!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Ellen performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaDOmH_kpns&feature=feedf

HumanCropcircle
Sep 26, 2005

Sounds like poo poo.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is she... lipsyncing?

Boner Calhoun
Jun 15, 2005

Silence in the studio!
Seems more like she's singing to a backing vocal track.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Boner Calhoun posted:

Seems more like she's singing to a backing vocal track.

Which is nothing new; it just seems like the mix was way, way off for that performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
They released a different version of the video which is supposed to be better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Xbzmw3d11Pg

• Locked thread