Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

For the two main grappling arts, who in MMA history has had the best credentials/pedigree? As far as wrestling goes, it would be Coleman, right? Are there any other Olympic wrestlers turned mixed martial artists? BJJ, my knowledge is more limited. I would assume either Roger Gracie or Ricardo Arona?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Rulon Gardner has the best wrestling pedigree, he is an NCAA All American and won the Gold Medal in Greco :downs:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
determining who has the best 'pedigree' is a fickle topic and in my opinion you're best off just saying 'there's a bunch of really high level dudes who have won a lot of prestigious events.' you have different styles of wrestling at the Olympic level (well, two of them, hopefully Funk Wrestling is added soon) and while Coleman is as far as I know the freestyle wrestler who placed the highest, Matt Lindland won a silver medal at the 2000 games in Greco Roman. I don't think that means that one of them has a better pedigree than the other based on a medal or that the aggregate of their amateur careers could determine that, they're both really good and competed at the highest levels in different styles. Off the top of my head Chael Sonnen was an Olympic alternate and Joe Warren would've competed in 2008 but he popped for marijuana because he is Joe Warren and gives no fucks. I'm likely forgetting some people.

Arona winning the ADCC absolute class means yeah, the guy is a loving phenomenal submission grappler, but is that better than Werdum because Werdum just won his weight class, albeit twice? how does the ADCC stack up against the Mundials or other international BJJ competition for gauging where BJJ players stack up against each other pedigree wise? Cassio Werneck has won a ton of international competitions with Jiu-Jitsu in the name but only fought in MMA twice, there's other guys who smash competitions but haven't fought MMA much, should they go in front of guys who have won less stuff but have more fights?

Roger Gracie has definitely Run poo poo when it comes to competition though, but again there are just a ton of highly decorated guys in wrestling and BJJ so trying to pinpoint best credentials when, especially with wrestling, they come from different styles and levels of competition before jumping into MMA that I think it's more headache than it's worth to go past 'There's a ton of really good dudes and they can all kick my rear end'

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 19, 2011

Vegard
Mar 20, 2011
Matt Lindland has a silver medal but Mark Coleman's trading card is worth 4 bonus points sooo

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I think a better question is what high level amateur wrestler has the least child like balls or which Brazilian grappler has the best excuses

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

maffew buildings posted:

I think a better question is which Brazilian grappler has the best excuses

Obviously Big Nog. "I got run over by a truck as a child; this explains how the rest of my life unfolded."

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

answer: this kid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQnsQSRVZno and either of one these guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzBb2xQZ4O0

Nog getting run over was an inspirational source of strength though, the guy never used it as an excuse, like 'I got jungle fever chasing a rogue pitbull through the Amazon so yeah' or 'I kind of had roofie withdrawals and Jesus made passes at me in the cage'

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

maffew buildings posted:

I think a better question is what high level amateur wrestler has the least child like balls or which Brazilian grappler has the best excuses

Do testicles scale with body size? In proportional terms at least I'm sure Joe Warren's balls are immense, but I'm not sure if they stack up to heavyweights who are literally twice his mass.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

maffew buildings posted:

Nog getting run over was an inspirational source of strength though, the guy never used it as an excuse, like 'I got jungle fever chasing a rogue pitbull through the Amazon so yeah' or 'I kind of had roofie withdrawals and Jesus made passes at me in the cage'

jokes.jpg

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

maffew buildings posted:

'I got jungle fever chasing a rogue pitbull through the Amazon so yeah'

How else is a reward hunter going to make a living?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

jokes.jpg

did you look sad when you posted that?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Roger's BJJ/NO-Gi record is second to none. He's won his weight class at the Worlds every year since 2004, and he has 4 absolute titles(and was screwed out of at least one more). He's won both his weight class and the absolute at ADCC(including finishing everyone at ADCC 2005). Werdum and Arona are amazing, but if you include gi results they don't have nearly the same pedigree as Roger does.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
is roger in the cool gracie group with the renzos of this world or is he a bit of a dick/annoying like most of them?

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Paul Pot posted:

is roger in the cool gracie group with the renzos of this world or is he a bit of a dick/annoying like most of them?

He's an entertaining can crusher in MMA, so there's that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Paul Pot posted:

He trains out of England and really doesn't seem to do all that much with the other Gracies. He's also related on his mom's side, his real name is Gracie-Gomez or something like that. Roger plays very simple (at least appears simple) bjj and sticks to fundamentals, he also eschews making money from sponsors or selling books/DVDs, but he's not always bitching about "The Decline and Fall of Bjj" or claiming to be better than everyone, like some of his relatives.

So C) None of the Above.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 20, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

Roger trains with Renzo and Almeida to prep for fights and he is a pleasant, chill guy.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
cool, always liked his minimalist approach in terms of technique and the plain gi, but you never know (i once believed rogan that anderson was "so deep into this bushido spirit" and that randy was a classy guy)

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
do you mean eschews or am i confused about how commerce works

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Gomi Pile posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress.

LIKE TEN DICKS
Feb 25, 2009

Gomi Pile posted:

Why not both

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
eschews. Did not even notice that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There was a clip I saw recently of Dana White yelling about how Steve Mazagatti is a terrible ref, shouldn't be watching fights, etc. What was the event that provoked that? Is there some consensus on which refs are good and bad?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

There was a clip I saw recently of Dana White yelling about how Steve Mazagatti is a terrible ref, shouldn't be watching fights, etc. What was the event that provoked that? Is there some consensus on which refs are good and bad?

I think it's a case of events plural, he occasionally stops fights early and I think stopped a fight declaring it a sub when one fighter didn't tap or quit. He might have been responsible for that really awkward moment in the drago fight ages ago too.

Either way he's not inherently terrible just quick to stop fights.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

BlindSite posted:

I think it's a case of events plural, he occasionally stops fights early and I think stopped a fight declaring it a sub when one fighter didn't tap or quit. He might have been responsible for that really awkward moment in the drago fight ages ago too.

Its not just that he is quick to stop fights... dude is just like half the other MMA officials and has no clue whats going on in the fights. He's better than the John Schorle's of the world but the guys is an idiot.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
his badness does not approach that of dan miragliotta yet seldom is heard a discouraging word about big dan

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Someone post the .gif. of Carwin beating Mir's lifeless corpse as Dan watches.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

BlindSite posted:

for most of mazzagatti's career he was the most blood thirsty ref in the business. he was steve let um die mazzagatti. things are so different now :(

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

attackmole posted:

Someone post the .gif. of Carwin beating Mir's lifeless corpse as Dan watches.

poo poo, Big Dan's not in that one.

and the long form too big to embed which is way uglier.

LIKE TEN DICKS
Feb 25, 2009

BlindSite posted:

that was yves lavigne with a relatively uncharacteristic gently caress up that had hilarious consequences and was appreciated greatly, by me

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LIKE TEN DICKS posted:

that was yves lavigne with a relatively uncharacteristic gently caress up that had hilarious consequences and was appreciated greatly, by me

i think it was the brown/sell fight that yves lavigne hosed up really really badly where "the immortal" had to tell him that continuing was FUBAR.

LIKE TEN DICKS
Feb 25, 2009
pete drago sell

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
Why do people hate on Tim Sylvia? Was he just a boring champ?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Pretty sure Dana's disdain for Mazzagatti stems from the first Lesnar/Mir fight where he docked Lesnar a point for punching Mir in the back of the head a bunch, which allowed Mir to recover and eventually submit him. There was some question over whether Mazzagatti had given Brock any warnings before he elected to stop the action and deduct a point.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Lazy like a Fox posted:

He had boring fights but his biggest problem was whenever someone put a microphone near him he was obnoxious at best

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lazy like a Fox posted:

His fighting style consisted almost entirely of throwing jabs and 1-2 combos from as far away as possible, and listlessly hugging anyone who got too close. His gameplan was based completely on capitalizing on his size and reach. His skillset is barely two-dimensional; even as a striker he's not well-rounded, as he's been knocked silly by guys who weren't shy about rushing in and brawling with him.

As to why I've bothered to devote this much text to why Tim Sylvia sucks: I'm doing you a favour. This way, you get an answer to your question without having to watch any Tim Sylvia fights.

He's also an awkward guy with low self-esteem. And unfortunately, he's the kind that is just too annoying and ingratiating for you to feel totally sorry for him.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I cheered for Timy Sylvia when he fought Pudz, am I a bad person?

moww
Jan 16, 2005

Can Type the Hype and Post the Most.
You should be institutionalized.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

fawker posted:

I cheered for Timy Sylvia when he fought Pudz, am I a bad person?

No because the outcome was funny.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Sylvia literally pooped his pants during a fight. He also bragged about wearing his champ belt during sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

Pretty sure Dana's disdain for Mazzagatti stems from the first Lesnar/Mir fight where he docked Lesnar a point for punching Mir in the back of the head a bunch, which allowed Mir to recover and eventually submit him. There was some question over whether Mazzagatti had given Brock any warnings before he elected to stop the action and deduct a point.

Dana was bitching about Mazzagatti long before the Lesnar/Mir fight.