Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
First mission objective is to deface a landmark in order to draw attention? That's just awesome.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I wonder; if your 'mechs go passive sensors, could they sneak up to the statue and topple it with melee?

It's time for some :black101: raiding.

That'd be fun to see, just saunter up and give the Aldo statue a nice uppercut. But I think in order to grab LOKI's attention they're going to need to light it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

goatface posted:

Don't tell me, night vision and thermals are lostech right?

No, actually.

They're advanced rules, which means they might as well be unless PTN is planning to dig out TacOps sensor rules.

Angry_Ed posted:

First mission objective is to deface a landmark in order to draw attention? That's just awesome.

That'd be fun to see, just saunter up and give the Aldo statue a nice uppercut. But I think in order to grab LOKI's attention they're going to need to light it up.

Actually, what would be even more fun would be if someone called a Death from Above attack on the statue.

Crash down on that sumbeech with 40 tons of Assassin.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Presumably not to completely obliviate the need to purchase the TRO books and hence, not get their asses hit with some kind of legal-jitsu by whomever currently holds the BTech tabletop rights.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I thought all the rules were more or less published at this point, but of course they just released a new box set so obviously that's wrong.

also the word is 'obviate', I only mention it because you said you're a writer and I thought you'd want to know

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

goatface posted:

Don't tell me, night vision and thermals are lostech right?

Flashlights are also lostech.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Felime posted:

And yet, lasers aren't.

So I suggest the players use them. Torch the park. Throw up some smoke for cover. Maybe torch a few non-residential buildings, too.

Spread some chaos and confusion! Collateral damage? I think you misspelled the phrase Bonus Damage!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Spread some chaos and confusion! Collateral damage? I think you misspelled the phrase Bonus Damage!

Wait, so this mission we're playing Cappellans? :v:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I thought all the rules were more or less published at this point, but of course they just released a new box set so obviously that's wrong.

also the word is 'obviate', I only mention it because you said you're a writer and I thought you'd want to know

It's more of the razor blade model; they have rules on their website for download but if you want the stats for all the new mechs they come out with you'll need to buy more books for that. (or download solaris skunk werks )

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

So I suggest the players use them. Torch the park. Throw up some smoke for cover. Maybe torch a few non-residential buildings, too.

I thought this was Muk's gimmick? :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Felime posted:

Some 'Mechs are equipped with searchlights; but typically only the really big ones.

Thermals etc do exist, but they're magic 1980s see-through-walls rainbow predator-vision thermals. They're not very useful for targeting, since there're a lot of things that can give off a high heat signature and a 'Mech will be superheating the air around it pretty well, too; which makes it even harder.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Since the players have two mechs with LRMs (and the OPFOR don't) one option would be to snipe the statue from the other side of the park while the Javelin and Commando sneak around the flank. That way when the enemy moves into the park to investigate they can get hit with cross-fire without worrying about hitting that nightclub or civilians.

Of course, they can also go with the tried and true Capellan BURN EVERYTHING approach...they loaded that Javelin up with Infernos, right? :flame:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I thought about giving that option, but that'd be a great way to fail the mission.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

(I'm annoyed that the sarna wiki pages doesn't have in-game stats like tons of armor or speed in hexes. Why is that?)

Translating the given stats is pretty easy, though. 91.6 km/h max speed equals a 6/9 movement curve and 180 meters jump capability make that 6/9/6.

As for searchlights, IR, nightvision etc., all that stuff is advanced rules. TacOps and Co have rules for just about everything. And don't let me start about some of the advanced construction rules. LOL, Rattler Mk II.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
If that's a city park - and it is - then damage to the trees may well count as collateral damage.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

quote:

I thought this was Muk's gimmick?

Go with God, my sons. I endorse burning it. Burning it all. Cleansing the park with holy fire. BURN IT ALL. AHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Sorry.

So, anyone think they know who is in that nightclub that we will be murdering if we try to run, slip, skid, and have a 30 ton machine bellyflop into a brick facade at 80 km/hr? :v: (please be Melissa trying to enjoy a night out on the town away from her handlers)

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 22, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I thought about giving that option, but that'd be a great way to fail the mission.

It sounds like a great way to have a hell of a roasting good time, too! :)

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Mukaikubo posted:

Go with God, my sons. I endorse burning it. Burning it all. Cleansing the park with holy fire. BURN IT ALL. AHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Sorry.

So, anyone think they know who is in that nightclub that we will be murdering if we try to run, slip, skid, and have a 30 ton machine bellyflop into a brick facade at 80 km/hr? :v: (please be Melissa trying to enjoy a night out on the town away from her handlers)

None of the mechs can skid more than 2 hexes so they'll be going a bit slower than 80kph.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If that's a city park - and it is - then damage to the trees may well count as collateralbonus damage.

I'm counting on it.

Mukaikubo posted:

Go with God, my sons. I endorse burning it. Burning it all. Cleansing the park with holy fire. BURN IT ALL. AHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

:jihad: + :flame: = :keke:

quote:

Sorry.

No you're not. Don't even lie. You love it.

quote:

So, anyone know who is in that nightclub that we will be murdering if we try to run, slip, skid, and have a 30 ton machine bellyflop into a brick facade at 80 km/hr? :v:

It's probably either Melissa Steiner, who needs an extraction from an agonizing night being courted by that oval office Lestrade, or Lestrade, who needs to be kidnapped, tied to a plank and given the Jack Bauer treatment because we suspect him to be a collaborator.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Longinus00 posted:

None of the mechs can skid more than 2 hexes so they'll be going a bit slower than 80kph.

They can skid a lot further than that, since the MP penalty for fog can be ignored with a piloting check. Of course, jumping ignores both skidding and fog entirely.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

They can skid a lot further than that, since the MP penalty for fog can be ignored with a piloting check. Of course, jumping ignores both skidding and fog entirely.

Right.

Shooting a statue = meh.
Toppling a statue with an uppercut = cool.
Death from Above on a statue = awesome.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or maybe Great White is playing there and everyone will be pissed at our terrorists "freedom fighters" if they get the nightclub burned down and kill everyone inside.

But more likely there's someone important in there, yeah.

e. Uprooting a statue and using it as a club to bludgeon another mech with: priceless.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I was just hoping one of the characters goes out yelling FOR THE ARCHON, but since they are rather inadvisably pretending to be Clanners that seems unlikely.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

ZeeToo posted:

Hey, guys, you know what could make Urbanmechs really deadly to you all?

The right weather conditions. :toot:

This IS what you had in mind, right?

Right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mastigophoran posted:

Hahaha, that is fantastic!

the Urbanmech will never move fast enough to force a skidding roll :ssh:

Sair
May 11, 2007

Oh, those poor tanks are going to suffer.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
All the urbie has to do is turn around to force a pirouette check.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Der Waffle Mous posted:

All the urbie has to do is turn around to force a pirouette check.

Nope, it has to run, turn, and move into an adjacent hex. It simply can't perform that feat.

Agent Interrobang has passed her turn due to RL issues; Kaboom Dragoon is now the pilot of the Commando!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

First, I wholly endorse DFAing the statue. Make it happen people.

Second, PTN? Please please please have an Urbie be in the reinforcements wave. (C'mon folks, look at the OpFor. There ARE gonna be more of them.) It needs to kill Tilde.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Ah, what the hell. Put me on the list.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope, it has to run, turn, and move into an adjacent hex. It simply can't perform that feat.

Agent Interrobang has passed her turn due to RL issues; Kaboom Dragoon is now the pilot of the Commando!

If you turn in the hexes before you "run" into another hex then it forces a skid check. If it didn't you could get away with doing all your turning before running which implies that you move slower in the first part of movement than the latter.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I was about to say.

But I forgot about the "move into a hex" prerequisite, so no pirouetting urbanmechs.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

Gay Abortions, if you're reading this we have a small matter of a bet to settle.
I chose a poor time to go on a week-long vacation. Which upgrade would you like and where should I send it?

Also, I'm getting a vaguely-Exodus Road vibe off Drang and Samantha's budding relationship. This bodes ill.

Gay Abortions fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 22, 2011

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
As far as real tactics go we want to pull them away from the nightclub so I suggest booking it up the road to around 0518 and unleashing holy hell on the statue from that area, keeps us relatively far away from the baddies and a bunch of L/SRMs should wake up the neighborhood.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Let me just say that "To Tha Extreme" is my favorite disco on Tharkad so don't damage it god drat it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ZeeToo posted:

Hey, guys, you know what could make Urbanmechs really deadly to you all?

The right weather conditions. :toot:

This actually made me laugh out loud when I read it. Then I saw you picked relatively tame atmospheric conditions that cripple the enemy. For shame. :saddowns:

Also, you guys should have swung by the Caballeros offices and picked up some of their sappers. They'd sneak in and blow up the statue completely undetected compared to 50 foot tall flying robots. =P

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

"the only truly visible patch was the black spider adorning each ‘Mech"

Well this is mysterious.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Gay Abortions posted:

Also, I'm getting a vaguely-Exodus Road vibe off Drang and Samantha's budding relationship. This bodes ill.
Hey :mad: Exodus Road is awesome.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Also, you guys should have swung by the Caballeros offices and picked up some of their sappers. They'd sneak in and blow up the statue completely undetected compared to 50 foot tall flying robots. =P

The whole point of the objective is to create a distraction. :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Vox Nihili posted:

The whole point of the objective is to create a distraction. :colbert:

No, the entire point is an objective that has yet to be revealed, which will make use of a distraction. Having some sappers come in, especially drunken Mexican sappers that will use way, WAY too many explosives, will be a far better distraction than having to keep your mechs there to blow it up.

Since, you know, it lets you actually be somewhere else besides the location you're pulling the enemy to.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Zaodai posted:

No, the entire point is an objective that has yet to be revealed, which will make use of a distraction. Having some sappers come in, especially drunken Mexican sappers that will use way, WAY too many explosives, will be a far better distraction than having to keep your mechs there to blow it up.

Since, you know, it lets you actually be somewhere else besides the location you're pulling the enemy to.

You don't send a tank to investigate a carbomb. You send a tank to stop another tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gothsheep posted:

You don't send a tank to investigate a carbomb. You send a tank to stop another tank.

You generally don't send a tank and some mechs to guard a night club, either. But here we are.

If destroying the statue is what pulls them away from the night club, then presumably the explosion is what draws them. They won't know whether it was a mech, a tank, or a few hundred pounds of explosives. If it's that they identify the attackers as being mechs, then the statue objective is completely superfluous and the point is moot. You could just have one mech jump in on top of a building and shoot one of the tanks then run off into the city.

• Locked thread