Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egie4ApwoUg

Not that I am using this to advance any kind of argument. Just thought a guy typing at 75wpm on a mobile phone (Blackberry) is kind of fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zegnar posted:

It's a bit of a slow day here...

That looks awkward as hell. And yeah, some people have crazy dexterity but that's far from the norm. This is probably some young spergy guy who had a lot of loving free time whereas the Blackberry is primarily targeted at slothy old businessmen with fat sausage fingers.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Swype owns : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYi5k2AjjQ&feature=related.

Bonus : looks like they filmed this commercial on some 5ds.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That looks awkward as hell. And yeah, some people have crazy dexterity but that's far from the norm. This is probably some young spergy guy who had a lot of loving free time whereas the Blackberry is primarily targeted at slothy old businessmen with fat sausage fingers.

That's me... had the camera on a tripod so I thought I may as well.

Not trying to prove a point, just showing another way of using the keyboard, cause yes that two thumbs thing is awkward as gently caress.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The BB is vertical so you can use it with one hand.

TBH the usability of a particular interface has less to do with the HID type and more with how good the interaction design was. The choice of hardware is only part of that, but two devices of the same type could have wildly different interfaces and both would work fine.

Touch-focus (on a capacitive screen) works just fine on a P&S, because people expect to have to pose. Wouldn't work so well with a 300/2.8 aimed at college football players.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egie4ApwoUg

Not that I am using this to advance any kind of argument. Just thought a guy typing at 75wpm on a mobile phone (Blackberry) is kind of fun to watch.

Should get that guy on the tonight show, and repeat the test of texting vs morse code.

According to this page:

http://www.rogerwendell.com/morsecode.html

The world record for morse code is 75.2 wpm, so it'd be quite a contest (the page also has the Jay Leno video of the texting vs morse contest if you want to watch it).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah having a touch screen on a DSLR is a terrible idea. I just thought the UI was cool and polished.

I tried swype for awhile but it's just way too slow, ironically.

I find that tactile feedback in a phone isn't really necessary. I can type 40wpm accurately with my iphone without looking. :smug:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with touch screens. It opens the potential for infinitely customizable UIs. I only lament the loss of an optical viewfinder. Yesterday I was working in the bright harsh sunlight, and could barely see my histograms, so a viewfinder was 100% necessary. Of course, if all your controls are on an lcd screen, and you can't see it in sunlight, then I guess it's not the best idea. Let's just skip straight to the retina implant control technology eh?

Ooh, ooh! I know how to fix this one!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Ooh, ooh! I know how to fix this one!

I would imagine that doesn't work so well in the paranoid world we live in today. Try to picture some guy taking pictures of poo poo in a city with his head covered; he would get tased and temporarily restrained so drat quickly.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

I would imagine that doesn't work so well in the paranoid world we live in today. Try to picture some guy taking pictures of poo poo in a city with his head covered; he would get tased and temporarily restrained so drat quickly.

Nah, not at all. I took my 4x5 kit around Vancouver last year and got nothing but interested and curious onlookers. Then again :canada:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
It's being reported that photojournalists Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros were killed in Libya today.

Hetherington was co-director of "Restrepo" and Hondros was a Robert Capa Gold Medal recipient for his coverage of the conflict in Iraq. Apparently other PJs were injured in the same attack but their names haven't been released yet. Sad news.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PREYING MANTITS posted:

It's being reported that photojournalists Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros were killed in Libya today.

Hetherington was co-director of "Restrepo" and Hondros was a Robert Capa Gold Medal recipient for his coverage of the conflict in Iraq. Apparently other PJs were injured in the same attack but their names haven't been released yet. Sad news.

Times just picked it up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/world/africa/21photographers.html?hp

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap
Hetherington's photo book "Infidel" was really incredible. :(

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Came here to post that, some sad news. He did some amazing work, just goes to show you that even if you have been doing that job for years it is still a matter of luck.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Awkward Davies posted:

Times just picked it up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/world/africa/21photographers.html?hp

Looks like they updated their article, unfortunately Hondros succumbed to his wounds and passed away. Good to hear Guy Martin has stabilized though.

I guess it's an accepted reality those guys have to face, since you're covering a conflict and generally photojournalists are usually the first on the scene so as Dread Head said, it all comes down to a matter of luck.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Sucks :/

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Nah, not at all. I took my 4x5 kit around Vancouver last year and got nothing but interested and curious onlookers. Then again :canada:

Vancouver is basically a city of photographers. You've got a big Asian population, a ton of people here for art and film school, a big movie industry and we're the closest big city to a lot of hippie towns full of artists.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

PREYING MANTITS posted:

These guys did some really phenomenomal work. I suggest everyone go check out some of their photos. Theres stuff they only just shot in the last few days :(

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2011/04/20/2-great-photographers-lost-today-in-libya-doing-what-they-loved-to-do/

Sad stuff

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 21, 2011

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Same here, it was Toronto, so still Canada, but generally the bigger the city, the more likely you are to be ignored.

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Looks like they updated their article, unfortunately Hondros succumbed to his wounds and passed away. Good to hear Guy Martin has stabilized though.

I guess it's an accepted reality those guys have to face, since you're covering a conflict and generally photojournalists are usually the first on the scene so as Dread Head said, it all comes down to a matter of luck.

This is terrible news, it seems like the fighting in Libya has been really bad in terms of friendly fire incidents. There was a clip of some of the rebels firing at Geraldo when he was with another group of rebels :psyduck:

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2dx0ajxCdY

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
oh god, I spoke to the owner of the local camera store today and my X100 is supposed to arrive late next week.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

surgical scar posted:

oh god, I spoke to the owner of the local camera store today and my X100 is supposed to arrive late next week.

Get it. it's soooo good. Firmware 1.01 is already out (minor fix, but it seems they will be much more responsive with firmware updates than canon or nikon), and Lightroom support in 3.4 is very likely.

vikingtravels
Jul 13, 2006
Experienced life-enjoyment executive

poopinmymouth posted:

Get it. it's soooo good. Firmware 1.01 is already out (minor fix, but it seems they will be much more responsive with firmware updates than canon or nikon), and Lightroom support in 3.4 is very likely.

I just know I'll end up with one of those, just because of your posts here.

That's not a bad thing. :D

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Echoing again that everybody really needs to check out Chris and Tim's work. Phenomenal stuff, shame to see them pass.

I read a report that said that group of journalists was specifically targeted as they attempted to escape the front lines. :(

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

vikingtravels posted:

I just know I'll end up with one of those, just because of your posts here.

That's not a bad thing. :D

I keep trying to find shorter summaries of my experience, right now the best I've come up with is this: "5D+35L quality in a body slightly larger than a bar of soap."

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I almost want to get an X100 just to take into concert venues that don't allow cameras with interchangeable lenses.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

poopinmymouth posted:

I keep trying to find shorter summaries of my experience, right now the best I've come up with is this: "5D+35L quality in a body slightly larger than a bar of soap."

I think a short summary of your experience would be:

'Pass me a kleenex, please'

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I was planning to post this earlier, but unfortunately I was on probation. I got into NYU's photo and imaging program. Going to be a fun four years, I hope.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
http://www.slate.com/id/2291603/pagenum/all/

I hate listening to old average photographers whine about this poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rear end is my canvas posted:

http://www.slate.com/id/2291603/pagenum/all/

I hate listening to old average photographers whine about this poo poo.

Same arguments have been coming from programmers and musicians over the last 10 years. Internet has created a new economy, and the old guard is unhappy their business model is crumbling.

Adapt or die. :black101:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think digital has a large part to do with it. Before you didn't have as much of an opportunity to experiment and play around because you couldn't see the results immediately and make adjustments and learn. Can you imagine learning about things like lighting ratios or whatever back in the film days? Digital has made it so anyone can learn by doing with imagination being the limitation more than anything else.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just saw this on Canon Rumors today:

quote:

Oh Joy
The IDC reported yesterday on the marketshare of the camera makers for 2010.

Canon remains the #1 camera maker in the world if you included PowerShots. Sony is in 2nd place.

However, in DSLR marketshare for 2010. Canon kicked the butt of pretty much everyone out there.

DSLR Global Marketshare 2010

Canon 44.5%
Nikon 29.8%
Sony 11.9 %
I always attach a grain of salt to marketshare research, everyone seems to come up with a different number. However, IDC is pretty well respected.

The interesting thing about this to me is not how well Canon and Nikon are doing, but how Sony is coming up in the world. Though I doubt I'll ever switch, I think Sony has some cool ideas and I hope they do well so they'll push Canon to innovate more.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Haggins posted:

Just saw this on Canon Rumors today:

The interesting thing about this to me is not how well Canon and Nikon are doing, but how Sony is coming up in the world. Though I doubt I'll ever switch, I think Sony has some cool ideas and I hope they do well so they'll push Canon to innovate more.

That's really interesting considering the fact that Nikon has the best DSLR out there right now. I bet most of Canon's huge revenue comes from the middle market though and really, having the King of DSLRs in your line doesn't do much when it's $8000 and the 60D is $1000.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Moist von Lipwig posted:

That's really interesting considering the fact that Nikon has the best DSLR out there right now. I bet most of Canon's huge revenue comes from the middle market though and really, having the King of DSLRs in your line doesn't do much when it's $8000 and the 60D is $1000.
Are you referring to The BOSS

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
See, I feel like as a Canon user I'm in the minority with all the photographers I know.

Maybe it's just in the wedding photography area Nikon is more prevalent.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I just wanted to plug lensrentals.com. Not only do they get you quality stuff fast, but they take their special requests section of the order form very seriously.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So I just wanted to plug lensrentals.com. Not only do they get you quality stuff fast, but they take their special requests section of the order form very seriously.

AMAZING

pwn posted:

Are you referring to The BOSS

:lol: wasn't THE BOSS a 5DII? I meant the D3X.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Moist von Lipwig posted:

AMAZING

:lol: wasn't THE BOSS a 5DII? I meant the D3X.

I'm pretty sure THE BOSS was a 1DIII.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Wooten posted:

I'm pretty sure THE BOSS was a 1DIII.

Oh, you're right :ohdear:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
That's a really small front element for f/1.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
Not really, it just looks that way because the 50/1.2's body is loving huge compared to its slower brethren.