Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

A drat FOG posted:

1) What's the cheapest hard liquor in terms of price-to-alcohol ratio? Looking for a specific brand if possible. I'm in the Chicago area if that matters.

Fosnoff 110 is what we used to use for punch when we were kids. A half gallon of 110 proof vodka for around $15, usually.
I don't know how much "Everclear" costs or if you can get it, but that is well over 170 proof I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

A drat FOG posted:

1) What's the cheapest hard liquor in terms of price-to-alcohol ratio? Looking for a specific brand if possible. I'm in the Chicago area if that matters.

http://www.getdrunknotbroke.com/

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Wow, way better answer than mine.

1024X768TheMoreYouKnow.JPG

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There are at least 3 places on the forums I could have asked this but decided this was the best one.

There is $2,500 coming my way from work for some training in programming for either java, javascript or php (or some combination). I originally went to school for computer science in the late 90s and worked in IT for about 5 years after that. I haven't programmed much of anything since then.

This money must be spent towards this purpose, and in the near future, like before the end of summer. Does anyone have any particular recommendations on the best way for someone with programming experience but who is very rusty to go about getting this training? Community college course(s), college course(s), online course(s), a tutor, vendor training, something else?

I would prefer something with some type of structure. I have the capability to teach myself via just buying a bunch of books but without something like a scheduled class, homework or evaluation to force me to read and practice I know I won't actually do anything about this. Suggestions? I am in the Philadelphia area if anyone knows of local options that would be good for this.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Cool, thanks for the answers. Now as a follow-up I want to ask almost the exact opposite question, what's a nice semi-fancy (not connoisseur fancy but something nice) hard liquor I can get to celebrate my 21st? I'm not a booze virgin but I've never had anything nice before, only stuff to get me loaded.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

A drat FOG posted:

Cool, thanks for the answers. Now as a follow-up I want to ask almost the exact opposite question, what's a nice semi-fancy (not connoisseur fancy but something nice) hard liquor I can get to celebrate my 21st? I'm not a booze virgin but I've never had anything nice before, only stuff to get me loaded.

Chivas Regal is considered decent by most standards and is definitely not considered connoisseur. Runs about 30 bucks for a half-gallon around here.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

A drat FOG posted:

Maker's Mark is a pretty good bourbon, although the flavor is kind of strong and it's 90 proof so it's pretty stiff. An ice cube or 2 can help dull some of the flavors and dilute it a bit if you're drinking it straight. Around here, a pint will set you back about $12.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Insurance question.. I already talked to my insurance company and this is what I understood but I'd love to hear someone else say it's true.

On my plan, an individual has to pay up to $1000 in a year period. And after that, you only pay 10%, and they cover 90%, until another $1000 has been spent, afterwards they would cover 100%. Does this sound right?

So you could say that at the very most, you'll have to spend $2,000 in a year.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Yes, most of the time that is identified as your yearly out-of-pocket maximum. Qualifying expenses towards the maximum and the amounts should be in your benefits signup documents.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

nesbit37 posted:

This money must be spent towards this purpose, and in the near future, like before the end of summer. Does anyone have any particular recommendations on the best way for someone with programming experience but who is very rusty to go about getting this training? Community college course(s), college course(s), online course(s), a tutor, vendor training, something else?

If you have a community college nearby with a decent reputation, an intro course in Java or Javascript would be good. I hesitate to recommend taking PHP unless your company really needs you for actualy PHP development or maintenance.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

nesbit37 posted:

If you already went to school and got your CS most of the CC/like courses are going to be a bore. Look for a boot camp type course that will get you certified in something as the best bang for your buck. Check out your local craigs/classified/etc and see what certs are commonly preferred/required.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Why would you advise avoiding php? If it helps, the main reason they want me to learn this stuff is for some minor development with plugins, editing, and tweaking of open source software and some web and cross-application utilization of MySQL databases. The applications I will be working with are library based, specifically Archivists' Toolkit:
http://archiviststoolkit.org/

Collective Access:
http://www.collectiveaccess.org/

and VuFind:
http://vufind.org/

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

If you already went to school and got your CS most of the CC/like courses are going to be a bore. Look for a boot camp type course that will get you certified in something as the best bang for your buck. Check out your local craigs/classified/etc and see what certs are commonly preferred/required.

I am afraid this might happen, but on the other hand I worry that I am so rusty that I really do need to get back to some basics. I haven't coded anything since probably 2004, unless you want to count XML, HTML and CSS (I don't).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

Why would you advise avoiding php? If it helps, the main reason they want me to learn this stuff is for some minor development with plugins, editing, and tweaking of open source software and some web and cross-application utilization of MySQL databases.

From a pure education standpoint, PHP has the least to offer. I would regard it, of the 3 you mentioned, the one that you could make the most headway into without taking classes. Javascript, by contrast, has some succint but deep concepts in it, that might be better taught in the classroom. You might never end up using those things, but it'd be good to have a memory of what you were taught should you ever need to remind yourself.

I didn't look too closely at those frameworks, but it seems the first is Java based. If so, it wouldn't hurt to take a Java class, even though intro classes can have a lot of unsatisfying boilerplate. What was the last OOP language you learned?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

kimbo305 posted:

What was the last OOP language you learned?

The last one was C++. I feel so old when it comes to programming, I was the last class in my university to learn with Object Pascal as our primary language.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

The last one was C++. I feel so old when it comes to programming, I was the last class in my university to learn with Object Pascal as our primary language.

I feel like Java wouldn't be too bad, then. In most respects it's much simpler than C++, especially if you learned/used it in the era before stuff like Boost got really big. Depending on your schedule, one class a week might get you back in the zone. The thing is, proficiency and comfort come not from homework, projects and such, but from being really familiar with tools and common procedures. Knowing Java wouldn't say much about how quickly you could build and deploy that Archivist's toolkit to a staging machine at your company, for example. I imagine you're decently prepare on that front just from work experience.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

I'd suggest grabbing one of those Java in 24 hours books to gauge your level. If you can't make through then a Java 101 class would be very helpful. However, if Java mostly "clicks" then one of the boot camp style classes would be a better fit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do not pick C++ as your first step (back) into the world of programming. Java is probably the best choice.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'll be staying away from C++. I want to get up and useful as quickly as possible, and re-learning old languages I won't be using isn't going to help much. Thanks for the suggestion on the book, I might pick one of those 24 hour ones up and try it out. I have a feeling its going to be slow to get back into but once I am it will be fine. Still need to spend the money on some sort of training though. I think a class may be better than one of those bootcamps, assuming you mean something like this:

http://www.traininghott.com/CityCourses/Philadelphia-PA-Java-Programming-Hands-On-Training-Course-Class-Seminar-JDK-EJB-JSP-Swing-AWT.htm

My main concern there is realizing I am over my head on the first day and then its just too late.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

I'm looking for some decent DVD authoring software. I've tried DVDFlick and DVD Styler and they just don't do what I need. I need something that'll allow me to have videos as the backgrounds to menus.

I'm willing to spend a bit of money if that's what it takes.

Would a Roxio or Nero product meet these needs?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

A drat FOG posted:

Redbreast Irish Whiskey. http://www.wallywine.com/p-13908-red-breast-irish-whiskey-12year-750ml.aspx

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

DELETED posted:

Maker's Mark is a pretty good bourbon, although the flavor is kind of strong and it's 90 proof so it's pretty stiff. An ice cube or 2 can help dull some of the flavors and dilute it a bit if you're drinking it straight. Around here, a pint will set you back about $12.

I second this. Maker's Mark is quality. You can drink it straight, on the rocks, or cut with water and it'll taste great (and different) every time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

I'm looking for some decent DVD authoring software. I've tried DVDFlick and DVD Styler and they just don't do what I need. I need something that'll allow me to have videos as the backgrounds to menus.

I'm willing to spend a bit of money if that's what it takes.

Would a Roxio or Nero product meet these needs?

I used Sony Vegas a while ago, and their DVD architect program that came with it seemed pretty nice.

Looks like they sell it separately for $40. They also have a free trial you could play with and see if you like it.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Would this work with the Samsung Evergreen:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-AAET503CBEBSTD-Handset-cable-mini-phone/dp/B0012GWTQE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I know it's not listed in the product description, but I can't find any product anywhere that DOES list the evergreen and it can't be that the evergreen has some special jack that no other samsung phone has in the universe.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

BorderPatrol posted:

I used Sony Vegas a while ago, and their DVD architect program that came with it seemed pretty nice.

Looks like they sell it separately for $40. NThey also have a free trial you could play with and see if you like it.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio

Thanks. I had actually looked in to this but for some reason couldn't find it sold separately from Vegas.

Getting the trial now, if it works out I'll drop the 40 for it.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
Do astronauts receive any training for what to do if they encounter intelligent life while in space?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm not totally clear on how sleep debt actually works: If I took a 3 hour nap from 8-11pm, does that count toward a full night's sleep that night if I go back to sleep from 3-8? Or do I still need a full night's sleep to feel rested in the morning?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Sleep happens in cycles. I am not a sleep scientist, but by examining this chart from wikipedia, I can tell you that it's going to take maybe an hour for the cycle to really get going.

Four two-hour naps are going to leave you less rested than 8 hours of sleep. You'll probably be okay with two 4-ish hour sleep chunks, but your body is really optimized for one solid chunk of sleep, so you shouldn't make a habit of it.

Sleep debt is actually something a little different. It describes how, after a week of getting 5-6 hours of sleep, you're going to be groggy on the same level as if you'd had one day where you only got 2 hours of sleep.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

tentawesome posted:

Do astronauts receive any training for what to do if they encounter intelligent life while in space?

Aside from 'turn the video camera on', I don't think there's much other training you could give. I mean, how do you train a person for something that no one knows anything about?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

tentawesome posted:

A friend of mine worked mission control for the ISS and routinely trained astronauts on various tasks. He had all sorts of awesome stories and unusual knowledge about training and procedures (e.g. the manual has a procedure for how to deal with someone who has gone crazy). I'm pretty sure he would have mentioned alien training if it existed.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

a computer posted:

Aside from 'turn the video camera on', I don't think there's much other training you could give. I mean, how do you train a person for something that no one knows anything about?
It's an awful movie, but the initial premise of Sphere is that Dustin Hoffman's character and the others are called in because Hoffman was once paid to write a government paper of some sort on the suggested course of actions during a first contact scenario (although he admits that he didn't really know what he was doing). I couldn't say for certain, but it's no stretch of the imagination to suppose there really may be such documents. After all, it takes virtually no effort to come up with action plans, and it'd be nice to have them no matter how unlikely the chances of the scenarios occurring. The plan calls for a mathematician to be present (since that will be our common language since math is universal, as well as physics and chemistry), and a marine biologist (since they are the people most familiar with what is, for us, the most different life forms from us on Earth). That sounds pretty sensible to me.

But it's not like astronauts are any more likely to run into aliens than we are. We haven't sent any people past low Earth orbit (which is barely in space, the ISS is only 350 miles up) since the moon landings. If aliens did want to visit us, there's no real reason their first stop would be with them.

I recently watched a Neil Degrasse Tyson talk, and he had some fun things to say on the matter. Paraphrasing here "I need more than eye witness testimony, and since this is the 21st century, I need more than your photograph. Photoshop probably has a button for 'insert UFO.' So here's what you do: the next time you get kidnapped by aliens, and you're lying on the probe table, point behind the aliens and say "What's that?" When they're not looking, grab whatever is in reach and shove it in your pocket. I don't care if it's just the ash tray, ANYTHING that has crossed the galaxy is going to be interesting."

dox
Mar 4, 2006

RaoulDuke12 posted:

It might have something to do with blood flow, though a brief internet search could provide anything to corroborate that. I know when I have headaches if I hang my head off the edge of the bed it goes away until I stop. There's supposedly a couple accupressure points to the sides of your spinal column right where it meets your skull, perhaps leaning back activates them.

My question: is there any website that tracks what TV shows are currently airing new episodes/shows dates when new episodes air? I'm getting sick of checking every network website.

myepisodes.com might be what you're looking for. they have just about every television show (even the daily ones)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread:

How can I tell the difference between a Korean, a Chinese, and a Japanese person? Are there actual differences in facial features, skin tone, etc? I can understand the difference in languages, at least between Mandarin and Japanese (I don't really remember what Korean sounds like) but often times when I meet someone I try to guess what their country of origin is (just in my head, not confronting them) and with Asians it tends to get more difficult, at least for me.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

SIHappiness posted:

A friend of mine worked mission control for the ISS and routinely trained astronauts on various tasks. He had all sorts of awesome stories and unusual knowledge about training and procedures (e.g. the manual has a procedure for how to deal with someone who has gone crazy). I'm pretty sure he would have mentioned alien training if it existed.

I was hoping for something out of X-Files, but that makes sense :( Thanks!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

the posted:

I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread:

How can I tell the difference between a Korean, a Chinese, and a Japanese person?

Not really. Things are so blended now that it's really hard to tell, unless you have a "stereotypical" ethnic sample. Japanese would be high cheekbones, Chinese would be round face and pale (well, Han, I suppose), and Korean would be similar. Stereotypically.

In real life? Good luck.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So, why can't you use rit dye for your hair? I know nothing about rit dye except that it makes my clothes pretty. While dyeing something, that thought crossed my mind. So I'm kind of curious. "It's a different chemical you moron" is kinda obvious and I'd imagine if it took it'd be permanent, right? No?

So if you want blue hair, why can't you set up a bucket full of blue rit dye and flop your hair in it for ten minutes?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I've looked through the forums and used a bit of google-fu and havent found any threads about Deaf Education. In particular, becoming a teacher of the deaf, an interpreter, which colleges have good BA/MA programs, and all the questions those entail. I am just beginning my venture into this and I'd love a solid idea of what I would be in for.

If there is no thread for this kind of thing, where would I start one? I thought about A/T, but its more of a Academics thing. Theres also the teachers megathread listed in the OP, but I don't think that'd be a good place.

Help :ohdear:

If the OP is still being updated, GWS has a 2011 Gardening Thread

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 22, 2011

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Anyone have any advice about insurance? I've never actually had to purchase or shop for any before. Work takes care of health, and my car insurance is just the same policy my parents originally had in place for me that I've kept renewing since I took it over. But I think it's too expensive, as they probably selected a really comprehensive policy (doesn't help that I had a lot of fender benders when I was younger either). I'm also interested in a Home Owners policy to protect my possessions from theft/damage. As I understand it, that's going to involve me cataloging all my valuables and providing some sort of account of their worth and providing proof for that (which is gonna be tricky). I have a pretty extensive art collection, as well as a lot of silver/golden age comics. I am assuming I can value them highly for insurance purposes to get a large policy that will ream me annually, or undervalue them so I can get a more reasonable policy. But, in general, can anyone give me a ball park figure for homeowners insurance?

It's been mentioned that I can probably get both policies from the same company, although which I don't know. The extent of my knowledge of insurance companies is pretty much being able to name a few because I've seen their commercials. Aside from asking here and doing some basic google searches, my next step is just gonna be to call Allstate or somebody and ask a bunch of questions. If anyone has any tips or advice, I'd appreciate it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

the posted:

How can I tell the difference between a Korean, a Chinese, and a Japanese person? Are there actual differences in facial features, skin tone, etc? I can understand the difference in languages, at least between Mandarin and Japanese (I don't really remember what Korean sounds like) but often times when I meet someone I try to guess what their country of origin is (just in my head, not confronting them) and with Asians it tends to get more difficult, at least for me.

Visually, you'll never get it right going by national templates or anything. If they have names in their native language, it's usually distinguishable.

Fun fact: this is the same surname:
Kin - Japanese
Kim - Korean
Jin - Chinese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

kimbo305 posted:

Kin - Japanese

So rare.

2508084 posted:

In particular, becoming a teacher of the deaf, an interpreter, which colleges have good BA/MA programs, and all the questions those entail. I am just beginning my venture into this and I'd love a solid idea of what I would be in for.

I would imagine that Gallaudet University is THE place to go for Deaf Education.