Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Chappy posted:

Feel free to put this info in the OP. My info for eprp is as follows :

Clinton.Chapman@sprint.com 530.

They are actually wanting us to give this info out to anyone that wants it now, so feel free to use it for anyone you want. Give it to your loving mailman if he wants eprp.

But please use mine and not that dude from the blog. They are giving prizes and stuff for people with the most referrals.
Any particular reason? That sounds like pretty much the opposite of what I would expect Sprint to want. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

It is no old school SERO promotion now since EPRP is fairly close to the standard everything plans, so I think it is a fair way to bolster their subscriber numbers. The TEP thing pisses me off, but then again Sprint's whole service since about August 2010 has been pissing me off. There is just so much involved in fighting to get out of contract and :effort:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Switched to the 4G MiFi a few moments ago. So far everything about it seems better than the Overdrive Pro. Ping times are lower, speeds are faster, and even the web interface is about twice as responsive. It also boots up in a matter of seconds instead of minutes. No complaints aside from going from 8 connected devices to 5, but eh, what can you do.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

io_burn posted:

Ugh, yeah, I'm going to swap for the new 4G MiFi. The last 24 hours with the Overdrive Pro has involved about 12 pull the battery power cycles. How the hell do they think people are going to use these for their home internet access?

To be fair, I have to pull the battery on my 3G Mifi all the loving time. Not 12 times in a day, but 5 times a day sometimes. I just don't think portable hotspots in general are good for main internet access.

That being said, I would still rather have a Mifi than an Overdrive.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

Any particular reason? That sounds like pretty much the opposite of what I would expect Sprint to want. Weird.
On the other hand it looks like a fairly typical price discimination maneuver.

For one, the kind of folks who would pursue single-line EPRP at $70/mo are the same kind of folks who would do Verizon LTE at $70/mo with GV-SMS. Sprint has to have an option that doesn't allow Verizon to undercut them while making it hidden enough to not complicate their standard high-value, but otherwise potentially expensive plan offerings. It's true that anymobile is an advantage specific to Sprint and not Verizon, but voice is becoming decreasingly-relevant for a lot of folks.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

ddogflex posted:

To be fair, I have to pull the battery on my 3G Mifi all the loving time. Not 12 times in a day, but 5 times a day sometimes. I just don't think portable hotspots in general are good for main internet access.

That being said, I would still rather have a Mifi than an Overdrive.

Really? I had a Virgin MiFi and that thing was a loving CHAMP. It could go for days at a time without any intervention, and the only issue I ever had with it was it rolling over to 1xRTT for some unknown reason and the only way I found to get it back on EVDO was by either power cycling it or going in to the admin area and having it disconnect and reconnect to the network.

Here's hoping the 4G MiFi works just as well.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

io_burn posted:

Really?
My experience with a MiFi was great when used as a broadband modem over USB. But the routing/NAT functionality of it was pretty awful for anything beyond regular web browsing.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Anyone know what the deal is with the MiFi apps/widgets or whatever the gently caress? All the wording about them makes it sound like there's all this functionality but as far as I can tell it just comes loaded with a little iframe that shows Google Maps and weather and there isn't anything else beyond that?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

io_burn posted:

Really? I had a Virgin MiFi and that thing was a loving CHAMP. It could go for days at a time without any intervention, and the only issue I ever had with it was it rolling over to 1xRTT for some unknown reason and the only way I found to get it back on EVDO was by either power cycling it or going in to the admin area and having it disconnect and reconnect to the network.

Here's hoping the 4G MiFi works just as well.

Mine is through Comcast (same network as Virgin/Sprint)... I dunno, it will just say "disconnected" on the admin page. I can reset it through the page, but a battery pull is actually faster. I'm on a free account with it and maybe that's has something to do with it, I don't know why it would, but maybe. It could be when I'm using a a lot of data through it (as I have no limit) and they are telling me to gently caress-off.

On the other hand, sometimes I will leave it on for a couple weeks straight and it works great the whole time. When it's bad it's insanely frustrating though.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Steve Moore posted:

TEP increasing to $8 on July 1st.

What's the other company that does cell phone protection?

snKestren
Jun 25, 2008

thisdude23 posted:

What's the other company that does cell phone protection?

SquareTrade?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Chappy posted:

Feel free to put this info in the OP. My info for eprp is as follows :

Clinton.Chapman@sprint.com 530.

They are actually wanting us to give this info out to anyone that wants it now, so feel free to use it for anyone you want. Give it to your loving mailman if he wants eprp.

But please use mine and not that dude from the blog. They are giving prizes and stuff for people with the most referrals.

Will update next chance I am at a computer.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Well I'm one step closer to google controlling everything. I got invited to the Google Voice integration. Now I just need to get an Android phone. I really want the Nexus S but after waiting and waiting I'm half tempted to wait for the EVO 3D

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
How much data d you 4g people tend to use. I was pretty sure I was going to jump onto my sister's family plan at ATT once the new iPhone came out, but the 2 gig limit is worrying me more and more. Especially if the new iPhone has HSPA+, those 2 gigs will get used up pretty quickly. This is making me lean toward getting a 3D Evo, despite me not really liking Android as a platform. The monthly cost of each will be within $5 of each other, so pricing isn't really an issue. My main concern is that data usage for me is only going to go up, especially considering faster internet, more applications that use it, and higher quality streaming video. I really like Apple's hardware,and iOS just seems so much smoother. Any suggestions or comments to help me make a decision?

Oh, I also tend to thing that ATT is an evil company.

If you switch to Sprint there is no data cap. That might help.

mars
Apr 5, 2005
quick question about the google voice + sprint integration. Is this something you have to do? I see lots of people like this, but I actually really like the setup I have now with two separate numbers.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So the voice service at my apartment has gone to poo poo. We've always had strong signal and still do, but when actually making a call the sound cuts in and out all the time pretty much rendering both sides of the conversation unintelligible. It happens to both my and my wife's phones, and happens within a good radius of our place. However, if I drive far enough down the street (likely to another cell) voice service is fine.

The suddenness of this makes me think there's a basestation equipment problem. Is this something Sprint likely "knows about", or otherwise, is there a way to file a trouble ticket of some sort that doesn't involve sitting on the phone with a CSR? (Whom I wouldn't be able to hear anyways.)

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

mars posted:

quick question about the google voice + sprint integration. Is this something you have to do? I see lots of people like this, but I actually really like the setup I have now with two separate numbers.

You don't have to do it, but you can either use your Google Voice number with Sprint, or your Sprint Number with Google Voice.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Entered my email for Voice on Monday and got invited today. They certainly aren't letting people in early based on how much they've used it since I've done 3 text messages and 3 phones calls since I signed up for it years ago.

Biggest thing I don't like about it is having to enter my contacts for Voice, even though I already have them on my phone.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 22, 2011

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

Entered my email for Voice on Monday and got invited today. They certainly aren't letting people in early based on how much they've used it since I've done 3 text messages and 3 phones calls since I signed up for it years ago.

Biggest thing I don't like about it is having to enter my contacts for Voice, even though I already have them on my phone.

Do you have your contacts on gmail? I didn't have to re-enter any of mine.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

god this blows posted:

Do you have your contacts on gmail? I didn't have to re-enter any of mine.

Nope. I just have contacts setup on my phone but I've never done any syncing for them. Guess I'll need to get around to doing that.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
I've been playing around with the GV integration for the last hour. It is awesome.

Also, when you call people from your gmail account now it actually uses your cell #. This means you could drop your phone in a toilet and call people and text people from any web browser.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
Yeah but you could always do that, just now you can do with with your sprint number.

I actually like having two numbers. I give the GV number to people I really don't want to talk to, since it's so easy to filter them out.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

heat posted:

If you switch to Sprint there is no data cap. That might help.

It doesn't. I already have Sprint.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Chappy posted:

Yeah but you could always do that, just now you can do with with your sprint number.

I actually like having two numbers. I give the GV number to people I really don't want to talk to, since it's so easy to filter them out.

Right, but it was worthless for me before. None of my friends/contacts would pickup a call from some random number (I never gave my GV number out), now it's actually useful since it comes from my cell #.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I'm probably going to have to pass on the Google Voice integration. I got my invite tonight, but when I looked, I saw what I was afraid to see. If I choose to make my Sprint number my Voice number, I'll lose my existing Voice number (it stays active for 90 days). I don't want that, and I don't want all my Sprint calls to show up as my Voice number either (I want to keep things separate), so this isn't for me.

Ideally, I'd like to just have two separate Voice numbers, one of which happens to be my Sprint number, but it doesn't work that way.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Can you assign a secondary email to one of the numbers?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So the voice service at my apartment has gone to poo poo. We've always had strong signal and still do, but when actually making a call the sound cuts in and out all the time pretty much rendering both sides of the conversation unintelligible. It happens to both my and my wife's phones, and happens within a good radius of our place. However, if I drive far enough down the street (likely to another cell) voice service is fine.

The suddenness of this makes me think there's a basestation equipment problem. Is this something Sprint likely "knows about", or otherwise, is there a way to file a trouble ticket of some sort that doesn't involve sitting on the phone with a CSR? (Whom I wouldn't be able to hear anyways.)

This seems to be my solution for anything signal related, but why not just get a signal booster? Otherwise I am actually looking into a similar issue tomorrow and may have a phone number for you to call. May.

And I was working with Sprint support on a signal issue and they were saying that there was a nationwide issue with Android phones recently (personally I would take it with a big grain of salt). More accurately, I do know signal in Nashville is a bit weird right now because 3 crazy Tornado level storms can knock over towers fairly well. Unfortunately for the customer I was helping, he is currently in Florida so the explanation did not help him.

Hdip posted:

You probably could, but you can only logon to one account at a time for the Android Google Voice app.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Hdip posted:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cjlWRDFTWERkZEIxUzVjSmNsN0ExU1E6MA

There's where you can do it, I've used it 3 times so far, maybe 4th time is the final.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=2d70d04e6241089f&hl=en

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

This seems to be my solution for anything signal related, but why not just get a signal booster?
Well right now my signal strength is -76 dBm, 5/6 bars at idle. That's typical. I really don't think it's a signal issue.

It feels like a backhaul problem, like massive packet loss on their backhaul links. I suppose it could be saturated, but I doubt it. We live a few blocks from a concert venue and I've never had problems making calls during event nights and there wasn't a show in the past few days. So no reason to believe there's been a sudden jump in the number of folks making calls.

Also, it seems to be limited to our cell site, works fine a ways down the road. So it's not a widespread problem in our area.

Duckman2008 posted:

Otherwise I am actually looking into a similar issue tomorrow and may have a phone number for you to call. May.
Cool, thanks. I'm heading out of town for a little while anyways, but if it stays bad for my wife I might have her look into it.

I just didn't know if there was a "report your problems here" page or something.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

You probably could, but you can only logon to one account at a time for the Android Google Voice app.
Yeah, which again doesn't help my circumstances.

uapyro posted:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cjlWRDFTWERkZEIxUzVjSmNsN0ExU1E6MA

There's where you can do it, I've used it 3 times so far, maybe 4th time is the final.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=2d70d04e6241089f&hl=en
This wouldn't help me because of the above. My Sprint number is my personal number and my Voice number is my work number. I'd like to convert my Sprint number to a Voice number to take advantage of all the cool Voice features on the line all my friends and family already know, but not if it means I have to lose my work number.

I just wish there was a way to have multiple lines associated with a single account, but that could get confusing to manage (or even use) pretty quick. At least I can set my wife up with one, though.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

brc64 posted:

I just wish there was a way to have multiple lines associated with a single account, but that could get confusing to manage (or even use) pretty quick. At least I can set my wife up with one, though.

I'd love this too. I'd like my normal number and then a GV number for work that also goes to my phone so I can differentiate between work and personal calls a bit better. If I just do this now, everytime I get a call on that work line it will use minutes. I might eventually do it anyway if it looks like I'd stay under the 450 minutes a month, but it'd be cool to GV enable my normal line and then add a second number and not have to worry about that. I don't know how special of a circumstance this is that google would even consider adding that option in the future.

Edit: I'd pay something like 5-10 a month extra for that as well, since that'd more then likely what I'd pay in minute overcharges or bumping my plans minutes up. I don't think it'd be that confusing either, just add a color coded system, say red for primary line and blue for secondary line..and audio only stuff just say received by #___ preceding anything

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 22, 2011

Mr. Fossey
Mar 31, 2003

Fresh bananas for the whole crew!
Has anyone found a way to reduce the font size in GV? It is so large I can only read the last line of the previous text. Or a way to have different notifications between VM and TXTs?

For being an all inclusive app there is not much customization.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I am currently on a Everything Data 1500 plan with my wife. According to Sprint.com site it shows my line as having completed contract on 03/04/10, but my wife's line won't be up until 06/07/12. Does that mean if I wanted to port my number off and switch to another carrier I can without paying the termination fee?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
e/n: Went to sprint stores the last 3 days only to get runarounds, and finally was going to get my broken Pre looked at today. It was about to be fixed, then the tech pulled the battery and declared it corroded and that they wouldn't repair it, even for the $35 fee.

When is the Nexus S coming out :smith:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

mastershakeman posted:

e/n: Went to sprint stores the last 3 days only to get runarounds, and finally was going to get my broken Pre looked at today. It was about to be fixed, then the tech pulled the battery and declared it corroded and that they wouldn't repair it, even for the $35 fee.

You can get a new Pre Battery for like 3 dollars shipped on ebay.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TLG James posted:

You can get a new Pre Battery for like 3 dollars shipped on ebay.

He said the leads in the pre itself were corroded and that it wasn't servicable due to that. The battery works fine, it just seemed like an excuse to try to get me to upgrade early (which I would if the nexus s was out) and not fix the phone :I

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have a Pre with some minor cosmetic damage on the corners, want to buy it?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
So day two trip report with the Sprint MiFi 3G/4G- Still very impressed with the device, especially when compared to the Overdrive and Overdrive Pro. It's been rock solid since I initially set it up yesterday, and I've been using it as my primary internet connection without issue for the past 24 hours.

Only negatives so far-

The MiFi OS "widgets" or whatever they're calling them seem like a cool idea but I spent a considerable amount of time looking for more of them and haven't been able to come up with anything. I have no idea how flexible the widget API is (or if even such a thing exists) but I can see tons of potential especially if the widgets are capable of accessing the micro SD slot. Something like a DAAP or other media server that served up files from the micro SD slot would be incredibly hot, as would something like a basic bittorrent or usenet client that could download to the micro SD slot. (Wishful thinking, I'm sure.)

Transfer speeds between local devices on the MiFi's wireless network seems shockingly low. I'm not sure if this is because I'm just used to using all the amped up MIMO poo poo that has become standard in most wireless routers/hotspots or what but with my MacBook Pro and Xbox 360 both connected to the MiFi weren't able to transfer fast enough between the two of them to stream HD video. Closer inspection almost made it seem like my MacBook's upstream was limited to 1mbit up (like it was being routed through 4G up then back down to my 360) this seemed like a pretty insane possibility and traceroutes and pings between the two devices didn't show anything out of the ordinary, so I'm not sure what's up. There aren't many settings you can change for the local WiFi network it serves up, and I've tried making it 802.11n only but it didn't fix this.

It doesn't support UPnP (as of this current firmware revision) but it has some basic port forwarding so this isn't that much of an issue. One thing I wish it had was DHCP reservation so I could just set up forwarded ports and forget it, but whatever, no big deal. I also wish I could associate more than 5 devices to it because between my fiancee and I we've got 2 laptops, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, a 360, and a PS3. Needing to use all of the devices at once isn't ever a problem but most things are designed to just connect to WiFi whenever they feel like it, and the MiFi doesn't really handle things very gracefully when you've got 5 associated devices and a 6th tries to join. I'd love it if you could set up some kind of priority list that basically says "The MAC addresses of our two laptops always get priority, followed by consoles and iPads, but feel free to kick iPhones off whenever you need to."

Of course these "negatives" are kind of nit-picky I suppose, but that just goes to show how great of a device this MiFi is if I can get nit-picky about it. I could write a loving laundry list of poo poo that sucked HARD about the Overdrive (and pro) in comparison.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Geekslinger posted:

I am currently on a Everything Data 1500 plan with my wife. According to Sprint.com site it shows my line as having completed contract on 03/04/10, but my wife's line won't be up until 06/07/12. Does that mean if I wanted to port my number off and switch to another carrier I can without paying the termination fee?

Your line is month to month so no fees for you to switch. If you switch your wife you would have a prorated termination fee, although its pretty close to being over so I would be it wouldn't be that much, maybe $60-80 to switch her line.

mastershakeman posted:

Its gotta be soon, they even have Otterbox cases available for Sprint stores to stock. Early May hopefully.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm heading out of town for a little while anyways, but if it stays bad for my wife I might have her look into it.

I just didn't know if there was a "report your problems here" page or something.

This is a new area for me, so hopefully what I have here is right. My instructions on a area with bad coverage complaints is to email OKCQueueControl@sprint.com (they apparently process those complaints in OKCity). There is also a phone number to call, but only for store coverage issues and you need a Sprint ID code (direct or indirect) for them to talk to you. It does say they need at least 3 customers complaining in an area to really do anything about it.

If it stays bad I guess your option would be to try emailing that address, or having your local Sprint call the phone number (I can give it to you if needed). Other option could be to call Advanced Tech Support and see if they can forward you to the right department.

Again, no idea if going through those channels will actually help, but we will see since I am about to try and help a friend with a coverage problem and no home internet.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Hey Duckman2008 (or any other Sprint dudes), here's a question for you-

Apparently if you get a certain Droid you're eligible for some kind of "pro" data plan (no clue what they actually call it) where you're able to do hotspot tethering with both unlimited 3G AND 4G. I have absolutely no problem paying more for a plan, having a voice plan that I can't even use, and whatever other ridiculous baggage I need to take on in order to get this plan on my 3G/4G MiFi. Sprint's 4G coverage is getting substantially better, but often times indoors you get kicked down to 3G inside of large buildings. That 5GB cap is hilariously low when you're actually using your device for anything other than casual web browsing once in a while.

Are there ANY balls that can be cupped on any level of Sprint to get my account switched to this kind of plan? I've tried asking at Sprint stores and by calling customer service but what I'm trying to do doesn't seem to process through their brains to even figure out if it can be done or not. If this is even remotely possible I can PM you all my account details or whatever if that helps.

It seems kind of silly that they'd offer this service on a phone capable of acting as a hotspot, but not the actual hotspot device itself. Can I get on that plan with like a dummy Droid, then do an ESN swap to my MiFi?

io_burn fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 22, 2011