Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Lobok posted:

Is your avatar Picard about to sneeze or does he need his glasses?

A random screencap I managed to get one day that I found hilarious. I think it's his dissatisfaction that there will never be a TNG Bluray set.

I just finished watching the Tron Blu Ray, the original film has fantastic transfer, some of the effects really look crisp and fresh. More effective than Tron Legacy in someways as I expect that to look amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Buster Keaton Shorts Collection, July 12th.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Buster Keaton Shorts Collection, July 12th.

:aaa:

Already calling it: release of the year. Just put it on pre-order on Amazon for $35.00.

I initially balked at this being three discs, but there's 6 1/2 hours worth of shorts, but it looks like there will be at least 2-3 hours of extras.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 21, 2011

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Alien Anthology Amazon UK - $33 shipped to US

This is region free and an absolutely ridiculous deal.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm glad I got this for Christmas and didn't have to rage at the fact I would have payed 2.5x as much for it.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

when i went to purchase the Anthology it actually came up as 」16.65... 」19.73 total shipped here to Canada.. $31.07 CAN!

thanks again for letting us know. much appreciated!

i've held off on the Alien films and i'm not really sure why.. I suppose now i'm being spoiled watching these as my first experience.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

sportsgenius86 posted:

In addition to this, they also have the Dirty Harry and Matrix boxed sets consistently cheaper than their US counterparts as well. Both are WB releases so they're all region free.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Deep Red currently $14.99 at Amazon

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Monty Python and the Holy Grail up for pre-order on Amazon for $14.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this - I got that deal and the Dirty Harry box set that was linked on there for 」15.97.

I've been watching that Anthology for some time now, just waiting on the moment it'd come down on a sale.

e: only the Dirty Harry set was 」15.97. Just wanted to clarify. The Alien Anthology came to $33.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

idoliside posted:

It's not that they couldn't its more that they wouldn't. Plus I wasn't aware that the earlier seasons were broadcast in HD.

Well, TNG was one of the most successful sci-fi shows out there, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are planning on getting around to it, especially for the 25th Anniversary of the show next year, or maybe when the next Trek film comes out. They were talking about how easy it would be for them to do the show in HD since it was:

A) All shot on film requiring no new CGI effects like the HD Trek remaster

B) All really easy to recompile and re-edit and recomposite.

In this case, an HD remaster would be really cheap since most of the hard work is done. It's the same process they've used for Seinfeld.

The only things I think that could be putting this project on hold was when they did the original series, not a lot of stations picking it up on syndication knew that it was anything different or that it was going to be in HD, so a lot of them put it in their late-night slots. So if CBS were to do something like this, they'd probably want to ensure that it is going to get decent treatment by some network.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Life (the real one narrated by David Attenborough) is Amazon's deal of the day today.

$27.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002UXRGM0

------------

The Holy Mountain review is up at Blu-Ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Holy-Mountain-Blu-ray/20463/#Review

------------

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, TNG was one of the most successful sci-fi shows out there, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are planning on getting around to it, especially for the 25th Anniversary of the show next year, or maybe when the next Trek film comes out. They were talking about how easy it would be for them to do the show in HD since it was:

A) All shot on film requiring no new CGI effects like the HD Trek remaster

B) All really easy to recompile and re-edit and recomposite.

In this case, an HD remaster would be really cheap since most of the hard work is done. It's the same process they've used for Seinfeld.

The only things I think that could be putting this project on hold was when they did the original series, not a lot of stations picking it up on syndication knew that it was anything different or that it was going to be in HD, so a lot of them put it in their late-night slots. So if CBS were to do something like this, they'd probably want to ensure that it is going to get decent treatment by some network.

Actually, that isn't true. It would be more difficult than the original Star Trek remaster.

quote:

All three seasons of the original Star Trek are now available in HD, but what about TNG? In a response to a question about TNG on Blu-ray, CBS Consumer Products VP John Van Citters told the crowd in Las Vegas that releasing Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-ray was much more "problematic" than the original Star Trek, due to how the TNG original effects shots were composited, and how that makes the transfer to HD "incredibly difficult without making them look awful." However, he also said that there is "a lot of conversations going on" within CBS on how to convert TNG to HD, and Van Citters expressed optimism noting "It is being worked on and I expect it will happen, it is just a technical challenge."

Following his talk, I confirmed with Van Citters that even though he is optimistic that the challenges will be met, as of now there is no specific plan or budget for the project within CBS. So this is still something that is a long-term project.

http://trekmovie.com/2010/08/09/veg...er-shaker-more/

quote:

The Digital Bits goes into further detail as to why a high-definition remaster of The Next Generation is much more problematic than of the older Star Trek: The Original Series. TNG was shot on film, but all post-production and visual effects were done on standard-definition analog video. As Bits editor Bill Hunt states, "if they just simply digitally upconverted from 480i to 1080p, there's NOBODY who would want to buy that on Blu-ray". Therefore, the only solution left is to scan all the original camera negatives, edit it again in HD, and redo all FX using computer graphics, like CBS did with the remastered versions of The Original Series.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4993

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 22, 2011

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, I don't know where anyone would've heard that TNG is an easy transfer. It's basically the most difficult transfer possible. I'm glad they're actually talking about doing it, though, because for a while I thought it'd be one of those "in my dreams" things.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sporadic posted:

Actually, that isn't true. It would be more difficult than the original Star Trek remaster.

http://trekmovie.com/2010/08/09/veg...er-shaker-more/

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4993

Well thank you for that.

For a while, all the information I could find was from 2007, when they wrapped up TOS in HD. There was a posting detailing the work that would go into it, and they had said that since everything was shot on film, a lot of the basic work was done. But hey, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

For the record: here's a copy of what I was going on for information before: http://www.dvdtown.com/messageboard/topic/8274/3/0.

I still have hopes though. TNG is considered one of the biggest sci-fi shows, and if it could help keep the show in syndication for years to come and make them profit, I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

Edit: Of course, who knows. Maybe my source was also just a bad source (that is not the website I originally got it from, by the way).

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 22, 2011

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Correct me if I am wrong, but lets assume they do TNG on blu ray and redo the effects like it sounds like they will have to do. Wouldn't this mean they would be charging ridiculous amounts(even more ridiculous than the prices the sets were when they originally came out on dvd)?

I just remember each TNG season being way over $100 dollars when they came out on dvd which I thought was ridiculous. Not even HBO is that greedy. I shutter to think how how much they will cost if they actually have to do a lot of real work to redo the effects for HD.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

sportsgenius86 posted:

How do you know it's region free? I don't see any mention of its region

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

It is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ok I'll take your word for it. Been holding out on Aliens far too long

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Talking of the UK Aliens set and also its packaging, I was really happy to see that they'd replaced the digipak version with a Blu-ray case today when I was looking around HMV, so hopefully this is what you get if you ordered it through Amazon, unless they still have old stocks left?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Blodskur posted:

Talking of the UK Aliens set and also its packaging, I was really happy to see that they'd replaced the digipak version with a Blu-ray case today when I was looking around HMV, so hopefully this is what you get if you ordered it through Amazon, unless they still have old stocks left?

For what it's worth my UK Aliens set is the larger one on the right. I actually didn't know there was a packaging difference between that an the US release though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

ApexAftermath posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but lets assume they do TNG on blu ray and redo the effects like it sounds like they will have to do. Wouldn't this mean they would be charging ridiculous amounts(even more ridiculous than the prices the sets were when they originally came out on dvd)?

I just remember each TNG season being way over $100 dollars when they came out on dvd which I thought was ridiculous. Not even HBO is that greedy. I shutter to think how how much they will cost if they actually have to do a lot of real work to redo the effects for HD.

Well, TOS was only about 100 dollars for a season on the highend.

Remember, they won't just do a full-scale HD remaster just for Blu-ray. It's too limited a market to justify spending the kind of money it would take to redo all of the show's effects. Part of that cost would also have to be supported by syndication and streaming rights. I can't imagine them being able to charge more than 100 dollars for the set anyway, just because if you look at the prices of other season sets, too many people wouldn't justify spending that kind of money on TNG to recoup the costs.

Hopefully, we'll hear some details about a remaster soon. I imagine with the new film coming out next year, they'll want to have something for us to look forward to. It would be the perfect time to release a product like this.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Steve Yun posted:

All WB films are region free since they were on the HD-DVD bandwagon first which didn't allow region coding. When they switched to Blu-Ray (and all but ended the format war in one fell swoop), they kept the region-free system.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Island Nation posted:

All WB films are region free since they were on the HD-DVD bandwagon first which didn't allow region coding. When they switched to Blu-Ray (and all but ended the format war in one fell swoop), they kept the region-free system.

The Alien boxset is from Fox :ssh:

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The Alien boxset is from Fox, but we're sure it's region free because it was tested like the day it came out and then a million people imported it because it has always been so much cheaper in the UK.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Sporadic posted:

The Alien boxset is from Fox :ssh:
I'm a bloody idiot obviously. The Amazon page had WB box sets recommended along the Fox films so I wasn't paying attention.
Outside of BD+, I'm not sure why they are inconsistent but a very rough guess would be that they only put region coding for most new releases and most legacy titles like the Alien series get none. There are exceptions in both cases but I don't work at News Corp. to know what they are.

A Breakdown of releases in Europe can be found here:

http://blurayregioncodes.com/index.php?region=b (Studio: Fox)

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

Blodskur posted:

I got the Blu-Ray case one when I ordered the anthology from Amazon UK back in February.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And I got the larger one from them when I ordered it in March. Luck of the draw I guess?

(I like my packaging, think I prefer it to the new one based on that shot)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, TOS was only about 100 dollars for a season on the highend.

Remember, they won't just do a full-scale HD remaster just for Blu-ray. It's too limited a market to justify spending the kind of money it would take to redo all of the show's effects. Part of that cost would also have to be supported by syndication and streaming rights. I can't imagine them being able to charge more than 100 dollars for the set anyway, just because if you look at the prices of other season sets, too many people wouldn't justify spending that kind of money on TNG to recoup the costs.

Indeed. They will undoubtedly be as high-priced as possible, but there's a ceiling on that. I can't imagine them going beyond $100.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
So has there been any word at all of Nashville (or any Altman for that matter) on blu-ray? I want that movie so bad.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
After finding out about that Alien Anthology deal (and subsequently finding the Dirty Harry set deal) on UK Amazon, I'm addicted to checking in on there almost daily - and they always seem to have better deals than the US one.

Planet Earth: Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray][Region Free] (David Attenborough)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000SKNIWE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
RRP: 」49.99
Price: 」14.99 (price dropped to 」12.49 after checkout)
You Save: 」35.00 (70%)

Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology 1989-1997 [Blu-ray][Region Free]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001MUK7GY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
RRP: 」39.99
Price: 」17.99 (price dropped to 」14.99 after checkout)
You Save: 」22.00 (55%)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Prisoner: The Complete Series dropped down to $33.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002C68WOG

American Lost & Found: The BBS Boxset also dropped down to $52.99 ($7.52 a movie)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003ZYU3SC

A bunch of Criterion titles also dropped down to $17.49-$19.99

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Planet Earth: Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray][Region Free] (David Attenborough)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000SKNIWE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
RRP: テつ」49.99
Price: テつ」14.99 (price dropped to テつ」12.49 after checkout)
You Save: テつ」35.00 (70%)

Skip that one, the Special Edition is only a few テつ」 more, and its apparently a better set.

Edit: the UK version is 50hz though so you might have issues importing it and using on your equipment. Be careful.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 26, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The regular UK edition of Planet Earth is not 50Hz (the feature is 1080p24 and the bonus disc 5 is 1080i60).

But Planet Earth Special Edition and Life are 1080i50.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 26, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sporadic posted:

The Prisoner: The Complete Series dropped down to $33.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002C68WOG

American Lost & Found: The BBS Boxset also dropped down to $52.99 ($7.52 a movie)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003ZYU3SC

A bunch of Criterion titles also dropped down to $17.49-$19.99

Nice. I went ahead and got the BBS set. At least I can resell it easily if it's not a big rewatch. Easy Rider is a great film and I've wanted to see Head, The Last Picture Show, and Five Easy Pieces for a while.

The Prisoner is one of the best TV releases ever. The show itself is fantastic, but the remasters are even more mind-blowing. The color pops off the screen and the image is nearly spotless.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Nice. I went ahead and got the BBS set. At least I can resell it easily if it's not a big rewatch. Easy Rider is a great film and I've wanted to see Head, The Last Picture Show, and Five Easy Pieces for a while.

It's a nice set for the money (I paid $62.50 for mine from Criterion). Seven movies plus a good size paperback and it is completely packed with special features.

I still need to sit down and tear into it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

The pHo posted:

Skip that one, the Special Edition is only a few テつ」 more, and its apparently a better set.

Edit: the UK version is 50hz though so you might have issues importing it and using on your equipment. Be careful.

Yeah I actually did change it to the special edition before checkout. It's one more BD with a booklet, worth another $3 or so.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I know this isn't the sales thread, but I figured I'd mention it here:

Amazon is having a Criterion sale on specific Criterions, listed here.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Murnau's Nosferatu is coming out in Italy on June 28th from Ermitage. They seem to have Italian rights to the Transit Film/Murnau Foundation library, so it's definitely a licensed edition.

I'm hedging my bets on Kino releasing their edition next year for the 90th anniversary.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Speaking of sales, I've got most of my collection up in SA-Mart now. Good prices on hundreds of Blu-Rays.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3405524

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

So good that I've blown 461 dollars on them.

• Locked thread