Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

goatface posted:

I just can't be bothered watching it anymore. The section overcrowding makes them cut some people off just as they're getting going in the interview, and then they have roundtable debates with the most moronic loving individuals I've seen outside of a question time audience. When they're not doing that, Charlie Brooker spends half his time ranting about the things he normally bemoans people ranting about and Jimmy Carr does some poo poo sketches where he has to mug for laughs. When I do bother to watch an edition on 4od I just end up skipping chunks because they don't do anything other than piss me off.

If they cut Jimmy Carr completely and removed Lauren Laverne's loving awful slideshows (she's good at the table debates/ linking segments/ generally holding the show together), then gave all that time to the interviews, the show would be much much better.

But no, the 18-30 market will clearly get bored with a show that doesn't have a comedy dress-up sketch every 5 minutes. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
How many episodes are left of Ten O'clock live? By now they really should have brought it to an end and be discussing how to make the next season less of a train wreck.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 22, 2011

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Iannucci is working on a US version of The Thick of It for HBO starring Julia Louise Dreyfus. It's going to be based around the role of the Vice President, and will either be brilliant or terrible.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

cloudchamber posted:

How many episodes are left of Ten O'clock live?

One more, it's a 15 episode run

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

keep punching joe posted:

Iannucci is working on a US version of The Thick of It for HBO starring Julia Louise Dreyfus. It's going to be based around the role of the Vice President, and will either be brilliant or terrible.

It will also be called veep.

It's interesting they've picked someone so high up as the main character, I always thought that advantage of The Thick of It was that they mainly use people who are either behind the scenes or not well known public figures.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

cloudchamber posted:

How many episodes are left of Ten O'clock live? By now they really should have brought it to an end and be discussing how to make the next season less of a train wreck.

Next week is the last one.

I've enjoyed the series overall, but my frustration is that the tone of it is too mocking and not satirical enough - satire is good when it points out folly or finds some hypocrisy but open mocking is nothing more than "politicians lol they're all scum! If only we could throw them all out maybe things would be better somehow!"

What i'm saying is ditch Jimmie Carr.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

cloudchamber posted:

Yesterday was the 14th of the 15 week run. And I disagree it's been a train wreck that should have been ended early; it's been highly flawed, but the Brooker and Mitchell rants have been worth it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
woohoo, dead baby pass-the-parcel has finally been resolved, I can start watching Eastenders again

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Jawidar posted:

In an excuse to use a load of fish-based puns, I once wrote in talking about Sega Bass Fishing on the Dreamcast. Mr Biffo said he knew "eggs-actly what I meant" :3:. On another occasion he called me "daddy cynical" :v:.

Digi :(

I wrote in saying how Bits was missing an 'N' from the title and instead of printing it, he just used the joke in a review a few days later.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Fatkraken posted:

woohoo, dead baby pass-the-parcel has finally been resolved, I can start watching Eastenders again

That a brilliant summary of all that madness that made me snort in real life.

So got around to watching Time Commanders series 2, why the gently caress is Richard Hammond presenting it? he doesn't even do a good job just stands at the sidelines and goes 'hurrr fight guyz fight'.

It is painful to watch.

Also, Burnistoun is quite brilliant.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Time Commanders was brilliant and we should get more clueless businessmen to play Total War and lose badly for our amusement.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Fatkraken posted:

Are you kidding? It's gonna be weeks of Kat looking sad then stubborn then happy and so much acting!Plus the trial and Jack's meltdown are going to take weeks. You probably won't be safe til September when they start the storylines that explode on xmas day.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Balloons with Bill Bailey.
Baboons. I was most disappointed when I tuned in

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Balloons with Bill Bailey.

It could have been his balloon modelling history of the British Isles :(

Chapter One: the Celts come to Britain. *puff* *sqeeeek* *phhrp*

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Time Commanders was brilliant and we should get more clueless businessmen to play Total War and lose badly for our amusement.

I'm amazed at the people who can pull off some stunning and just made it victories with the thing.

They should really consider bringing it back.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm amazed at the people who can pull off some stunning and just made it victories with the thing.

They should really consider bringing it back.

They could use the Napoleon one now, to make it stand out from the old series. Although there's not so much obvious variety of units and army composition as there was in Rome, in my opinion, so it may not be as interesting when converted to a TV series.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

sebzilla posted:

They could use the Napoleon one now, to make it stand out from the old series. Although there's not so much obvious variety of units and army composition as there was in Rome, in my opinion, so it may not be as interesting when converted to a TV series.

They should try and get a licence with all the new ones since Rome really and to shake things up a bit do a versus style match by splitting the team up every couple of episodes.

They should bring the Historians whos excitement for the whole thing is excellent. Try and pull in Tony Robinson or Rory McGrath as presenters as they show equal enthusiasm.

In other news, I've lent my parents my Snuffbox DVD and they think the show is excellent.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Brian Blessed would be amazing on Time Commanders. He loves his history.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Brian Blessed would be amazing on Time Commanders. He loves his history.

I just thought that after my post, it'd be especially awesome if he dressed up for whatever game they used.

He has dressed up as a Samurai Warrior and Knight before after all.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I watched a documentary in school about the battle of Thermopolae once which he narrated, then halfway through he pops up in full greek armour shouting about how he was there to witness the glory and the honour, it was amazing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

I watched a documentary in school about the battle of Thermopolae once which he narrated, then halfway through he pops up in full greek armour shouting about how he was there to witness the glory and the honour, it was amazing.

Seriously, why not him instead of Richard Hammond?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Blessed was probably too busy climbing Everest or walking to the magnetic north pole or exploring a jungle somewhere, you know, the usual stuff guys in their mid 70s do.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
Stewart Lee wrote a good thing in the FT http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a8066bc2-6b9e-11e0-93f8-00144feab49a.html#axzz1KLIkmVUH

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Tsaedje posted:

This simple addition could improve 90% of all TV content currently being churned out. Imagine a Homes under the Hammer where every once in a while the winning auction bid is made by a fired-up Brian Blessed in full Greek battle dress. The country would come to a standstill as people skipped work to tune in to daytime TV.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

MisterLizard posted:

This simple addition could improve 90% of all TV content currently being churned out. Imagine a Homes under the Hammer where every once in a while the winning auction bid is made by a fired-up Brian Blessed in full Greek battle dress. The country would come to a standstill as people skipped work to tune in to daytime TV.

Anne Robinson is leaving The Weakest Link, isn't she? Imagine Brian Blessed fronting that show :allears:

"YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK! GOODBYYYYYEEE!"

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13176198

Bah, John Sullivan's died.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Why do the BBC even bother getting the snooker rights? Half a dozen channels and they can't spare one to show Murphy/O'Sullivan, it's not even on the red button, just an Internet feed with tinny sound.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Dunno about anyone else but I've noticed 4oD have really started laying on the ads lately.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Now the coverage starts, but instead of, you know, actually showing the match, they're showing a loving trailer... They're making ITV's 'cutting to ads during a goal' look professional.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

pisshead posted:

Why do the BBC even bother getting the snooker rights? Half a dozen channels and they can't spare one to show Murphy/O'Sullivan, it's not even on the red button, just an Internet feed with tinny sound.
You're a Freeview Bitch that why. It's on one of the seven BBCi satellite feeds.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Metrication posted:

Dunno about anyone else but I've noticed 4oD have really started laying on the ads lately.
They disappear if you install AdBlock Plus; it took me years to realise it even had adverts! Once I did, I care enough about C4* that it's one of the sites that I exempt from ad blocking.

(* it's basically the Beeb and C4 in the war with BSkyB over the soul of British telly.)

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I'm pretty sure Freeview viewers pay the same licence fee as anyone else. Nearly ten minutes into the coverage and they're still not showing the loving match. It's not like it's a technical issue, I've no idea why one of the red button feeds was the same post-match coverage of QPR/Cardiff that was on BBC1.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

They disappear if you install AdBlock Plus; it took me years to realise it even had adverts! Once I did, I care enough about C4* that it's one of the sites that I exempt from ad blocking.

(* it's basically the Beeb and C4 in the war with BSkyB over the soul of British telly.)

Is there a version of ad-block for IE? Firefox video has a tendency to freeze up every few seconds. The problem with 4od is that once you've been through the archives there's not really any new content worth watching compared to iplayer.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

pisshead posted:

Write to the BBC trust and ask. They'll probably say "to stop sky getting it", but at least they might say something.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

On Freeview, at this time of day they have the choice of BBC1, BBC2, CBBC, Cbeebies, News, Parliament and one BBCi/Red Button. I think we can agree that the childrens channels, news and parliament are all non-sta.. Wait a minute. Turn on BBC1 right now; what's that they're showing? That looks like a Mr O'Sullivan with a cue in his hands.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I never really understood why the bbc took up huge blocks of air time to show darts and snooker instead of the world's strongest man (which is on challenge all of this weekend I think).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Didn't Strongest Man used to be a Christmas/New Year thing, until Five poached it, before losing interest?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pablo Bluth posted:

I've got Adblock+ and I still get them, or is it just because I switched to Crome over Firefox.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

justcola posted:

I never really understood why the bbc took up huge blocks of air time to show darts and snooker instead of the world's strongest man (which is on challenge all of this weekend I think).

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought of Alan Partridge everytime that certain program is mentioned.

Also woo, Smoking Room DVD arrived. I've missed Cliff and Barrys antics so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
'Don't Scare The Hare' on BBC1 right now.

I don't loving know either .