Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

doomisland posted:

All the Disney rips look amazing. I was watching Beauty and the Beast and it looked amazing too. I'll probably actually pick that up and Nausicaa. Also Eva is out in a week~

I ordered Nausica and Eva from anime corner store and they shipped already. In case you don't want to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

doomisland posted:

All the Disney rips look amazing. I was watching Beauty and the Beast and it looked amazing too. I'll probably actually pick that up and Nausicaa. Also Eva is out in a week~

Eva is actually out right now if you bought from the right places. It's already shipping from Rightstuf.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

The Black Stones posted:

Eva is actually out right now if you bought from the right places. It's already shipping from Rightstuf.

And if you haven't ordered it yet, preorders from Amazon for Eva 2.22 are down to $20 now.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Volfogg posted:

And if you haven't ordered it yet, preorders from Amazon for Eva 2.22 are down to $20 now.
And if you have, Amazon automatically drops your price down to the lowest value it has between the time you order it and when it ships.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Sweet. Amazon uk has started shipping the preorders for the Summer Wars + Girl Who Leapt Through Time bundle now :)
Mine shipped yesterday, release date is on Monday.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summer-Wars-Leapt-Through-Blu-ray/dp/B004AFUJFM/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1301152393&sr=1-1

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Summer Wars was amazing, I really really liked it.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I like both movies, and less than $30 for them together is a steal :)

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
My Summer Wars/GWLTT Box set arrived yesterday from amazon and it is really nice :) The slip case seems to be the same as the american version aside from a little bar on the bottom with information about FWLTT. I have seen the bluray rip of Summer wars before so I am most keen to watch GWLTT to see how that looks in HD, every rip of that online is the standard definition version. Its already a beautiful film so I tentatively have high hopes.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Quick question about East of Eden. I've been watching the show (and loving it)on netflix and will probably buy the blu ray set. I noticed there's a movie as well available on amazon. It comes out next week, I was wondering without spoiling anything if it was a continuation of the series or a stand alone thing?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Quick question about East of Eden. I've been watching the show (and loving it)on netflix and will probably buy the blu ray set. I noticed there's a movie as well available on amazon. It comes out next week, I was wondering without spoiling anything if it was a continuation of the series or a stand alone thing?

There are two movies, both continuations of the series. Personally, I found them to be a pretty poor conclusion, but still worth watching if you enjoyed the series (which I did).

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

DeepDiscount.com is currently doing a sale on Bandai releases, including a couple BDs with some Pre-Orders. It ends on April 30th.

Eureka Seven: Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers: $19.99
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: $19.59
Sword Of The Stranger: $19;99
K-ON! Vol. 1: $17.49
K-On! Vol. 2: $17.49
Kurokami Vol. 1: $12.49
Kurokami Vol. 2: $12.49
Kurokami Vol. 3: $12.49
Kurokami Vol. 4: $12.49
Kurokami Vol. 5: $12.49
Kurokami Vol. 6: $12.49

And while it's not a Blu-Ray release, they have Pre-Orders for the Bandai+Crunchyroll release of 5 Centimeters Per Second for $12.49. Just thought it'd be worth a mention.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
King of Thorn is coming out in Blu-Ray in EU.
What is the general consensus on it?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Question: I know it hasn't been released over here, but is it safe to assume the Japanese Eureka Seven Blu-ray Collection is simply upscaled HD?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Hatter106 posted:

Question: I know it hasn't been released over here, but is it safe to assume the Japanese Eureka Seven Blu-ray Collection is simply upscaled HD?

Correct. The series is too high motion for DVD though (there's a ton of bitrate starvation that's really obvious), so it's not a complete waste. It's times like this that I wish the BD spec did not forbid SD content.

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 22, 2011

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

AzraelNewtype posted:

Correct. The series is too high motion for DVD though (there's a ton of bitrate starvation that's really obvious), so it's not a complete waste. It's times like this that I wish the BD spec did not forbid SD content.
Why would they do this?

On a related subject, I know that anime movies aren't hard to convert to HD due to the nature of the fact that it was made for bigger screens with more relative detail than television, but I was wondering if this only applied to movies or all traditional cel animation? Could they for example convert Bebop or Ranma to HD by taking highe resolution scans of the original analog masters? Or does it not work like that?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Ice Blue posted:

On a related subject, I know that anime movies aren't hard to convert to HD due to the nature of the fact that it was made for bigger screens with more relative detail than television, but I was wondering if this only applied to movies or all traditional cel animation? Could they for example convert Bebop or Ranma to HD by taking highe resolution scans of the original analog masters? Or does it not work like that?

Works fine for tv series as well as long as there's a good analog master.
See the Japanese Lain bluray release for a good example...

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
It does work like that, but not for Bebop. Bebop has too much CGI poo poo that was composited in direct to the video masters, and there's not a chance in hell Sunrise has those assets sitting around still.

Which part of my previous post were you questioning in horror?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Presumably the 'forbidding SD content' which honestly makes some sense to keep the Blu-Ray market a bit less saturated with poo poo and keep the format regarded somewhat highly.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

AzraelNewtype posted:

Which part of my previous post were you questioning in horror?
I was just wondering why they'd make it a part of the Blu Ray spec to now allow SD content. You'd think higher quality transfers of SD content would be great on Blu-ray since it'd allow for many many more eps per disc, if not a whole season on a disc.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Presumably the 'forbidding SD content' which honestly makes some sense to keep the Blu-Ray market a bit less saturated with poo poo and keep the format regarded somewhat highly.
Ah. That makes sense. I guess it would be confusing if someone said they had so and so show on blu-ray and it ended up being in SD.

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 23, 2011

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Keyboard Kid posted:

Which is too bad because you could save a lot of shelf space with a series on a single disc.

efb

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's times like this that I wish the BD spec did not forbid SD content.
It doesn't. 1280x720 and 720x480 are explicitly listed as a valid resolutions in the BD spec. Everything is upscaled to 1080p for marketing reasons, not technical.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Plorkyeran posted:

It doesn't. 1280x720 and 720x480 are explicitly listed as a valid resolutions in the BD spec. Everything is upscaled to 1080p for marketing reasons, not technical.

That's HD 720p and "Enchanced Definition", which would still be de-interlaced, upscaled and/or pillarboxed/stretched to 16:9 from SD source material.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Bluray supports soft telecine so it'd only be deinterlaced if the player is retarded, and I'm not sure why the video being upscaled to the display device's native resolution on playback is supposed to be a problem.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Thank you for the deepdiscount info, I was a day or two away from paying $35 for Sword of the Stranger, now I don't have to :)

EDIT: Oh man, Escaflowne is on here too. Is the movie a condensed version of the show or a continuation of it?

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 25, 2011

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Kingtheninja posted:

Thank you for the deepdiscount info, I was a day or two away from paying $35 for Sword of the Stranger, now I don't have to :)

EDIT: Oh man, Escaflowne is on here too. Is the movie a condensed version of the show or a continuation of it?
I think it's supposed to be a reanimated retelling with condensed elements, not unlike the Rebuild of Eva movies, except made closer to the time the show was airing, thus not insanely awesome looking.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Kingtheninja posted:

It's a very condensed version. Unfortunately, while I enjoyed the series, I really hated the movie. Among my biggest pet peeves are abrupt scene transitions, and this movie is jam-packed with those. I think the plot and characters also suffer a good deal from the condensed time. Maybe others liked it more than I did, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Escaflowne movie is very pretty but it is otherwise awful in almost every single way.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Thanks for the info about Escaflowne. I ordered Sword of the Stranger, very excited about it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So, anyone else really bothered by the fact that Eden of the East: The King of Eden came in a DVD case? Now it won't match up with my bluray set.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there a reason that Summer Wars is "Under Review" on Amazon? Link: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Wars-Blu-ray-Michael-Sinterniklaas/dp/B004DMIIOG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1303851860&sr=8-6

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a reason that Summer Wars is "Under Review" on Amazon? Link: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Wars-Blu-ray-Michael-Sinterniklaas/dp/B004DMIIOG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1303851860&sr=8-6

The only thing I can think of is that the picture of the case is showing it comes with a slipcover which apparently was only a first run only thing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

So, anyone else really bothered by the fact that Eden of the East: The King of Eden came in a DVD case? Now it won't match up with my bluray set.

Seriously? That's really weird. I mean, I'll probably end up getting it still but that is a bit off putting.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Aren't the Eva blu-ray boxes taller than blu-ray cases too?

Edit: NM. They aren't. I must have been thinking about how similar the DVD 1.11 looks compared to the blu-ray one.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kingtheninja posted:

Seriously? That's really weird. I mean, I'll probably end up getting it still but that is a bit off putting.

Yeah, I mean if it'd be nice if they did it like Disney and had a bluray box and a dvd box, but they were still both a bluray/dvd combo pack, you just got to choose your size.

It's the only way to get the movies as of right now, either in DVD or Bluray. I just find it such a change from Eden of the East: the series being available in DVD or Bluray. I probably would have gotten bluray only if they did give you an option.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ineffiable posted:

It's the only way to get the movies as of right now, either in DVD or Bluray. I just find it such a change from Eden of the East: the series being available in DVD or Bluray. I probably would have gotten bluray only if they did give you an option.

They did this for 2 reasons

1) Save on packaging costs

2) Location. In places like Best Buy. They have an anime section, however, if you put out anime on Blu-Ray, they will shove it in with all the other Blu-Ray titles instead of putting it into the anime section and thus it lowers visibility of the title. Put the Blu-Rays in a DVD sized case, and then it's back into the anime section.

Sakamoto
Oct 4, 2004
Summer Wars (anime) on Blu-ray for $16.49

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Picked up Eva 1.11 and 2.22 today. Absurdly pretty! I'll have to go back and snag an FLCL too, once money is available.

Noticed the Ga-Rei Zero box set at Fry's today, and my interest was piqued. What is the word around these parts about that show?

I keep looking for news of BluRay collections for Patlabor in all of its forms here in the states. I guess that's too much to hope for, sadly :sigh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

From December 10th

Infinitum posted:

You know what else would look awesome on bluray? Rurouni Kenshin

Rurouni Kenshin is seeing a BRD release!

Using the original negatives!
With English subtitles!
Including both OVAs!

There is not a big enough :woop: for this.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I know Ruroni was a tv series, but I remember seeing previews all the time for Samurai X. How are the two related, because Samurai X looked pretty mature/violent compared to the Ruroni series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first Rurouni Kenshin OVA (because seriously loving "Samurai X" is one of the worst title changes ever) was a Darker And Edgier prequel to the story in the TV series detailing Kenshin's life while he was still an assassin. It occurred in the manga during a flashback arc a bit after the Kyoto arc, which consequently was the last arc in the Kenshin TV series that followed the manga as the two arcs that followed Kyoto were anime-only filler arcs. Filler arcs designed to keep the ball rolling while the manga got further along, but back fired by being so massively terribly it got the series canceled.

• Locked thread