Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Gay Abortions posted:

I chose a poor time to go on a week-long vacation. Which upgrade would you like and where should I send it?

hob_gadling(at)hotmail.com, archives or plat are both fine.

It was goddamn close, I was afraid until the last turn that you'd win. A full-on salvo at turn 18 could have made all the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mukaikubo posted:

I actually thought Exodus Road was far and away the best of the 'Twilight of the Clans' books detailing, well, what the name says. It was kind of oddly touching, especially after the end of the series when you get to see the payoff Trent got for spilling the beans. It also did a lot to... I do not know if this is the word I want, but 'humanize' the Clans in my eyes as being full of- well- people. With petty politics, stupid bullshit, and all that stuff.

Also, the dick <reacted> getting blown to poo poo at the end was pretty damnit satisfying.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

There were people talking about the Awesome earlier and I got to thinking about Steiner Rules and how the clans might react to its widespread adoption, so I made a thing.

code:
Clawsome Prime

Mass: 80 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-D
Production Year: 3036
Cost: 21,214,050 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,597

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 400 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    3  ER Large Lasers
    3  ER Small Lasers
    1  Retractable Blade
    1  Flamer
    1  ECM Suite
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                   122 points                4.00
    Internal Locations: 1 CT, 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             400                      26.50
    Walking MP: 5
    Running MP: 8
    Jumping MP: 0 
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             18(36)                    8.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT
Gyro:               Standard                                               4.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA    R: SH+UA+LA
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 230                 12.00
    Armor Locations: 1 CT, 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     25           36        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  9         
                                           L/R Torso     17           25        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  9         
                                             L/R Arm     13           24        
                                             L/R Leg     17           30        

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ECM Suite                                    HD        0         1         1.00
Targeting Computer                           RT        -         3         3.00
3 ER Small Lasers                            LT        6         3         1.50
3 ER Large Lasers                            RA        36        3        12.00
Retractable Blade                            LA        -         5         4.50
Flamer                                       LA        3         1         0.50
                                            Free Critical Slots: 11

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      8    Points: 26
5          5       5       3       0      4     0   Structure:  4
Special Abilities: ECM, MEL, SAW, ENE, SRCH, ES, SOA

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

hob_gadling(at)hotmail.com, archives or plat are both fine.

It was goddamn close, I was afraid until the last turn that you'd win. A full-on salvo at turn 18 could have made all the difference.
Yeah. I was pulling for Sam to eek out a victory with her justice fist.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dominus Caedis posted:

So as far as actual tactics for pulling this off go: spotting for LRMs is pretty terrible, especially with the night penalties. Does the Assassin want to spot for me or do we want the Javelin/Commando to spot for both of us? Or are we just gonna rush the statue and do DFA? Let's get some kind of plan in here guys.

A plan? Teamwork??

Sorry, man, my mechwarrior is a lone wolf with a troubled past who doesn't curry to the chain of command; he's the kind of iconoclast who feels the need to do things according to his own special idiom. That's why I had the techs replace my coolant with Mad Dog 20/20 and my targeting system with a bitching Lostech ghetto blaster salvaged fron an old Star League cache.

In short, my guy is the Weirzbowski of the mission..

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Other people also have the option of not trying to use rear end-pulls to rationalize it when they know I'm going to argue it. I'm not arguing against PTN's planning from a narrative standpoint, I'm arguing against the people who try to claim it's realistic or perfectly rational from a military standpoint. When generally, whatever I'm arguing is not. If people would accept that narrative handwaves occur and that they make no rational sense rather than trying to shout it down, you wouldn't have to read my oh-so-intrusive bouts of logic and reasoning.

It takes at least two people to have an argument.

So let me get this straight: you're going to go ahead and nitpick the reality of various details, but anyone who suggests there might be a reasonable explanation for things is picking the fight, and you obviously have no choice but to show them that they are indisputably wrong?

You're not getting what I'm saying, then. I'm saying you're acting as though just because you cannot think of a reasonable explanation for a detail in a scenario, no such explanation could exist. Especially in fiction, that's pretty foolish, and I find it really annoying.

If I'm alone in that opinion than I'll be happy to shut up, though. I don't want to derail things. I just wanted to suggest that actually Poptarts is being really drat lenient with you and if I were running the thread, I'd be far less accommodating by now.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You clearly do want to derail things, or you wouldn't be arguing about it.

You clearly don't understand my point, and it's unlikely I could ever explain it to you when you're so blinded by anger. So keep on bitching about it if you want, and looking down on me from on high.

But you'll be as much a part of the "problem" as I allegedly am. Because you're doing roughly what you accuse me of doing, except you replace logical arguments with white knighting for "the sake of the thread".

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Zaodai posted:

You clearly do want to derail things, or you wouldn't be arguing about it.

You clearly don't understand my point, and it's unlikely I could ever explain it to you when you're so blinded by anger. So keep on bitching about it if you want, and looking down on me from on high.

But you'll be as much a part of the "problem" as I allegedly am. Because you're doing roughly what you accuse me of doing, except you replace logical arguments with white knighting for "the sake of the thread".

Can we please focus on my Mad Dog 20/20 fanfiction, please?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zaodai posted:

You're still suggesting they somehow psychically know whether the statue is destroyed by mechs or if it was destroyed by infantry/vehicles/whatever.

Actually, they'll probably figure out it was mechs because the PC's mechs are broadcasting fake comm chatter.

PoptartsNinja posted:

As his ‘Mech powered up, he knew his comm. system would start occasional broadcasts, simulating battlefield communications. It was encrypted—it was also garbage. He wouldn’t be speaking with the other members of Gulltoppr Lance. They all had a mission, however vague, and would fulfill it—or die in the attempt.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

So let me get this straight: you're going to go ahead and nitpick the reality of various details, but anyone who suggests there might be a reasonable explanation for things is picking the fight, and you obviously have no choice but to show them that they are indisputably wrong?

You're not getting what I'm saying, then. I'm saying you're acting as though just because you cannot think of a reasonable explanation for a detail in a scenario, no such explanation could exist. Especially in fiction, that's pretty foolish, and I find it really annoying.

If I'm alone in that opinion than I'll be happy to shut up, though. I don't want to derail things. I just wanted to suggest that actually Poptarts is being really drat lenient with you and if I were running the thread, I'd be far less accommodating by now.

I know you're trying to improve things for everyone, but I think this particular case is a lost cause, and pursuing it further will only bog down the thread. Fortunately, there is an option that provides us with the best of both worlds.

More relevantly, I'm going to go ahead and call it now: Massive enemy reinforcements will show up the second we touch that statue.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Vox Nihili posted:

More relevantly, I'm going to go ahead and call it now: Massive enemy reinforcements will show up the second we touch that statue.

Yeah, Heimdall reinforcements in the form of a Kell Hounds 1st Regiment Heavy lance :colbert:

Incidentally, if it is Melissa Steiner in that night club, all we have to do is sacrifice Patrick Kell and it will immediately be Mission Success.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

Actually, they'll probably figure out it was mechs because the PC's mechs are broadcasting fake comm chatter.

I'm glad someone noticed that. The 'destruction of the statue' objective could've easily been 'shoot at an enemy'; but this way is more spiteful since it's a direct blow to Duke Lestrade's ego.

It's simply there to get the guards to start paying attention to their surroundings rather than bullshitting playing Chess over their comms.

Edit: That's the problem with guard duty in a city as safe as Tharkad City. The guards stop paying attention, especially if they have infantry on the ground.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 22, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Bad Moon posted:

Yeah, Heimdall reinforcements in the form of a Kell Hounds 1st Regiment Heavy lance :colbert:

Incidentally, if it is Melissa Steiner in that night club, all we have to do is sacrifice Patrick Kell and it will immediately be Mission Success.

Only problem with that is in PTN's rewritten history, the Kell Hounds were blamed for the death of Archon Katrina Steiner, probably by Duke Lestrade or someone associated with him... The Kell Hounds are currently in Davion space, as shown in the first mission, and likely to stay there for the foreseeable future, at least according to my reading of events... So they unfortunately will probably not be riding in as the cavalry... At least, not with the set up PTN has now.

Looks to me like this mission will have some sort of reckoning for Lestrade. At least, I hope so...

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, who killed off the Grey Death legion again? That was so long ago I can barely remember them even being fought :(

Edit: If it was the clans (what with the notion of the periphery in the OP), I will be very sad. Why're you all about giving those guys trouble, huh? :(

In all seriousness though, this will make the C option a lot more interesting the next time around :D

Edit: Huh, oddly enough it hadn't updated my page properly. So it most certainly is the Clans.

Edit 2:Let's hope noone believes them! That'd give the Grey Legion a useful role in the war and we don't want that.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 22, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

evilmiera posted:

Wait, who killed off the Grey Death legion again? That was so long ago I can barely remember them even being fought :(

Edit: If it was the clans (what with the notion of the periphery in the OP), I will be very sad. Why're you all about giving those guys trouble, huh? :(

In all seriousness though, this will make the C option a lot more interesting the next time around :D

Edit: Huh, oddly enough it hadn't updated my page properly. So it most certainly is the Clans.

Yeah, the GDL got killed off in Political Vote 1 by Clan Widowmaker. Unsurprising, since PTN has said that he hates them. Borrowing a TvTropes term, we Worfed them, in effect killing them off to show in universe just how serious the Clans were this time around, I guess.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

Only problem with that is in PTN's rewritten history, the Kell Hounds were blamed for the death of Archon Katrina Steiner, probably by Duke Lestrade or someone associated with him... The Kell Hounds are currently in Davion space, as shown in the first mission, and likely to stay there for the foreseeable future, at least according to my reading of events... So they unfortunately will probably not be riding in as the cavalry... At least, not with the set up PTN has now.

Looks to me like this mission will have some sort of reckoning for Lestrade. At least, I hope so...

Something just occurred to me: if Simon Johnston wasn't replaced by Melissa as Chancellor of the LIC (not that I think he would be; the guy was appointed by Alessandro and left in place by Katrina), then with Morgan Kell out of the picture he is probably the highest-ranked member of Heimdall.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
That depends. Is Arthur Luvon still dead?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's simply there to get the guards to start paying attention to their surroundings rather than bullshitting playing Chess over their comms.

Is that an X-Wing book series reference? Because if so - awesome. And I can't wait to see light mechs tearing it up and hopefully the Urbanmechs getting their killing on.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Preechr posted:

That depends. Is Arthur Luvon still dead?

He died shortly after Melissa was born.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Whoever's in that nightclub can't be too important if the Lyrans, of all people, can't spare any assault mechs to guard them!

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Polaron posted:

Whoever's in that nightclub can't be too important if the Lyrans, of all people, can't spare any assault mechs to guard them!

Perhaps that's what the person in the nightclub wants people to think. You want a semi-covert night on the town, you wouldn't bring an assault mech as a bodyguard.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

This looks like it's going to be interesting, insofar as nobody knows anything about what's actually going on. Good luck, guys. Hope you don't cause the IS to implode as an inadvertent result of your actions.

On a related note to the Clan invasion, I was rereading the background on Triple-Strength Myomer, and how its prototype version was invented before 3030. The prototype didn't require any additional heat to run at max power, although it blew up when exposed to a special catalytic agent.

I'm wondering if this could be a useful tool against the Clans if we ever play as an elite Davion unit. I mean it's +2 walk speed for the production model (technically +1, but that's due to heat penalties) and doubled melee damage-and I think the prototype keeps both bonuses. Refit a mech with Prototype TSM, and you can do pretty nice things with it, like move an Atlas at 5/8 (or 4/6, I'm not precisely sure on the rules?).

Outside of ComGuard's giant SL-era stockpile, prototype super-TSM is probably the only other way to get something resembling parity against the Clans.

landcollector posted:

Perhaps that's what the person in the nightclub wants people to think. You want a semi-covert night on the town, you wouldn't bring an assault mech as a bodyguard.

It's the Lyrans. The Lyrans consider the 80-ton Zeus a good weight for a scout mech.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

landcollector posted:

Perhaps that's what the person in the nightclub wants people to think. You want a semi-covert night on the town, you wouldn't bring a mech as a bodyguard.

Fixed.

One of the reasons I voted for this mission was the location: Steiner appreciates the advantages of big 'mechs, and this is their capital. So here's hoping.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

No, you're not alone. And no, I don't know why he keeps posting in this thread at all, seeing as he appears to be extremely unsatisfied with the way it's going, and has been feeling that way since just about its beginning.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

landcollector posted:

Nah, the assault mechs are guarding the bar on the other side of town. So that those drat terrorists think the VIP is there! :ninja:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Fixed.

One of the reasons I voted for this mission was the location: Steiner appreciates the advantages of big 'mechs, and this is their capital. So here's hoping.

I maintain one could get away with a light mech or two as bodyguards in the Lyran capital city. I guess we will see who is in the nightclub as the mission progresses.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

AJ_Impy posted:

Fixed.

You must have been sorely disappointed that the players got a recon lance in the last battle. The Second Donegal are failures as Lyrans.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

You must have been sorely disappointed that the players got a recon the 2nd Donegal's command lance in the last battle.

I corrected your statement.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

landcollector posted:

I corrected your statement.

The joke was that the lance wasn't nearly heavy enough for Lyran tastes, even though it sported some huge 80-ton mechs.

Unless this too is a joke and I have also missed it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

KnoxZone posted:

You must have been sorely disappointed that the players got a recon lance in the last battle. The Second Donegal are failures as Lyrans.

The Unwearied Second predate the Lyran Commonwealth: They get a pass for fielding a buch of underweight designs because it harks back to their roots before decently-sized 'Mechs were available.

Dolash posted:

The joke was that the lance wasn't nearly heavy enough for Lyran tastes, even though it sported some huge 80-ton mechs.

If the weight is less than three digits, it's a scout. :colbert:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Dominus Caedis posted:

So as far as actual tactics for pulling this off go: spotting for LRMs is pretty terrible, especially with the night penalties. Does the Assassin want to spot for me or do we want the Javelin/Commando to spot for both of us? Or are we just gonna rush the statue and do DFA? Let's get some kind of plan in here guys.

Actually, the plan to jump the LRM-capable Mechs up onto non-light buildings (e.g. 1124, 1620) to avoid terrain penalties is a good one . Even with the poor lighting, statues tend to be immobile targets (-4 TH), so you'll plink it down in time. You'll also be able to see over the woods to gently caress up the approaching enemy once they come a'lookin.

TildeATH posted:

A plan? Teamwork??

In short, my guy is the Weirzbowski of the mission..

Is your Javelin retrofitted with a flamer, as well?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm seriously pondering if some badly painted mechs are going to be proof enough to someone investigating the things when they somehow managed to sneak into the city undetected, probably via bribes or a hijacked train, and then manage to zero in on a VIP despite being this big, so far unknown enemy. Especially since the mechs aren't exactly up to clanner specification.

Then again getting a good bead on them is going to be tricky in this weather.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

I maintain one could get away with a light mech or two as bodyguards in the Lyran capital city. I guess we will see who is in the nightclub as the mission progresses.

You guys are really enamored with that 'bodyguard' idea.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

Actually, the plan to jump the LRM-capable Mechs up onto non-light buildings (e.g. 1124, 1620) to avoid terrain penalties is a good one . Even with the poor lighting, statues tend to be immobile targets (-4 TH), so you'll plink it down in time. You'll also be able to see over the woods to gently caress up the approaching enemy once they come a'lookin.

Me? I'd stick to the energy weapons until the real party starts. I can't imagine a statue being harder to knock over than a mech, and besides, wrecking the statue is supposed to be what causes the ruckus. Pride issues aside, if you get interrupted halfway though the process, hey, spirit of the objective complete.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

You guys are really enamored with that 'bodyguard' idea.

Loki are about the last people you want as bodyguards. Apart from the hilarity of having easily-bored orphaned bloodthirsty killers following you around on boring routine, there's a whole division of the LIC whose job it is to guard VIPs.

E:

the JJ posted:

Me? I'd stick to the energy weapons until the real party starts. I can't imagine a statue being harder to knock over than a mech, and besides, wrecking the statue is supposed to be what causes the ruckus. Pride issues aside, if you get interrupted halfway though the process, hey, spirit of the objective complete.

You'll have to get pretty close to the statue to hit with MLAS, though, between the woods in the way, the bad lighting, and the fog (and Regular gunners). Being on the buildings lets you immediately jump into cover whenever you like, as well, preferably after banging on a Stinger or a tank with LRMs as they deploy. (Just don't hit the nightclub!)

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 22, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Loki are about the last people you want as bodyguards. Apart from the hilarity of having easily-bored orphaned bloodthirsty killers following you around on boring routine, there's a whole division of the LIC whose job it is to guard VIPs.

In my defense, I am merely providing some discussion should the mechs indeed be bodyguards. I don't know why Loki operatives are here, and I'm interested in finding out why.

v v v The obvious solution isn't always the right one.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 22, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

landcollector posted:

In my defense, I am merely providing some discussion should the mechs indeed be bodyguards. I don't know why LOKI operatives are here, and I'm interested in finding out why.

The simplest solution that seems to fit the facts (i.e. Loki are nutso attack dogs and Heimdall is under orders to let no harm come to the nightclub) is that Loki is here to blow up the nightclub, no?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The simplest solution that seems to fit the facts (i.e. Loki are nutso attack dogs and Heimdall is under orders to let no harm come to the nightclub) is that Loki is here to blow up the nightclub, no?

Er, no. It means that there is a VIP in the nightclub who is meant to watch the show and escape unharmed physically. How they fit into this is up for debate. My guess is that this is meant to impress upon someone the true danger that the DC clans impose and force an even stronger military budget/military presence at some location/something else

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Er, no. It means that there is a VIP in the nightclub who is meant to watch the show and escape unharmed physically. How they fit into this is up for debate. My guess is that this is meant to impress upon someone the true danger that the DC clans impose and force an even stronger military budget/military presence at some location/something else

That's not very Heimdall, though. And it leaves unsolved the rationale for Loki's presence. They're just not anyone's idea of bodyguards. If they're not here for wanton (wow, I spelled that wonton, time for lunch) destruction, they're probably guards in the sense of a prison. Then we're back to Melissa (or someone) being under loose house arrest.

Of course, the whole point of Gulltoppr's role could be to cause reinforcements to be summoned from some other deployment, thus enabling the success of THAT mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Edit: Nevermind, i'm dumb.

• Locked thread