Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
brb hanging self

Forest, meet the trees. Oy.

<3 you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Starbux posted:

Can anyone shed some light for me? I want to switch to the Das BAMF 1.5 remix ROM for the Thunderbolt, but I don't know if the ROM includes the new upgraded radio or not. I've heard really great things about the new leaked radio, but I know nothing about how to flash a radio and I hear it's risky.

You install the radio first, then the rom. Two separate files. It isn't really any more risky than rooting.

Starbux
Jul 25, 2009

The Three Smugmigos
:smug::hf::mmmsmug::hf::smug:

WeaselWeaz posted:

You install the radio first, then the rom. Two separate files. It isn't really any more risky than rooting.

Ah, thanks. I assume flashing a radio is easy as flashing the .zip file in the clockwork mod bootup menu? Or is it more complicated?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Starbux posted:

Ah, thanks. I assume flashing a radio is easy as flashing the .zip file in the clockwork mod bootup menu? Or is it more complicated?

You have to update the radio through Hboot. Do this by putting the radio .zip on your SD card, turn off the phone, hold the down volume button and then press power until it boots up. This will boot your phone into Hboot and then you will have to select "upgrade" or something along those lines.

To install the rom, you use clockwork like always.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

WeaselWeaz posted:

Well, a corrupt ROM image just forces you back into recovery to wipe and restore a nandroid or flash again, while a corrupt radio image can make your phone an expensive brick. Check your md5 sums!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

heat posted:

Check your md5 sums!

ALWAYS check md5 sums on anything that isn't a ROM.

Starbux
Jul 25, 2009

The Three Smugmigos
Thanks for clarifying, I installed the new radio with no issues. Although I'm not fond of Das BAMF. Just because of the god awful Sense skin. Fortunately, Tesla Coil 1.7 was just released, so I'm going to give that a go.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
CM7 & my EVO are no longer friends. I have been having issues with staying on 3G at work (on the fringe of coverage) and it has gotten so bad I can't stream no more at work. This is in comparison when I was running WarmZ I never had an issue streaming at work. Now I have been having issues with menu screens being a black screen when I go to them and other loading issues. I have tried wipes and reinstall with no luck.

I love CM7 but I can't live without streaming at work. So is MIUI pretty much the next big thing in ROMs? or should I try Fresh? I really don't want to go back to a Sense ROM but I will if I have to.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

ALWAYS check md5 sums on anything that isn't a ROM.

Literally never done this, since CWM checks CRCs of the images themselves, soooooooo

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

nate fisher posted:

CM7 & my EVO are no longer friends. I have been having issues with staying on 3G at work (on the fringe of coverage) and it has gotten so bad I can't stream no more at work. This is in comparison when I was running WarmZ I never had an issue streaming at work. Now I have been having issues with menu screens being a black screen when I go to them and other loading issues. I have tried wipes and reinstall with no luck.

I love CM7 but I can't live without streaming at work. So is MIUI pretty much the next big thing in ROMs? or should I try Fresh? I really don't want to go back to a Sense ROM but I will if I have to.

Are you able to connect to Wifi at work? I've had spotty 3G coverage in my office on every ROM I've tried with my EVO so I just started connecting to Wifi. If you need to switch from CM7, Fresh has a new Gingerbread beta out for donors. I tried it out and it seemed pretty decent but I'm sticking with CM7 for now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whoever it was that was having issues where their apps disappeared and they couldn't redownload them from the Market, I saw this and thought of you.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Are you able to connect to Wifi at work? I've had spotty 3G coverage in my office on every ROM I've tried with my EVO so I just started connecting to Wifi. If you need to switch from CM7, Fresh has a new Gingerbread beta out for donors. I tried it out and it seemed pretty decent but I'm sticking with CM7 for now.

I work at a National Lab so WiFi is not a option. It is weird that my 3G is worse on CM7. Even when I am driving in good 3G areas it drops a lot more than it did on other ROMs.

I have downloaded Fresh, MIUI (wow what a different experience), and MikFroYo. I have the day off so thought I would try all 3.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Someone in another thread posted that stock Evos only report 3g and don't show 1x even when it doesn't have 3g.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

big mean giraffe posted:

Someone in another thread posted that stock Evos only report 3g and don't show 1x even when it doesn't have 3g.

It is not what it is reporting it is what it is doing. CM7 will not keep a data connection for me on the outskirt areas of 3G. It drops data all the time. Other ROMs I used do not do this.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Casao posted:

Literally never done this, since CWM checks CRCs of the images themselves, soooooooo

We aren't talking about Clockwork. You flash a radio in the bootloader, it does not confirm the md5.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Casao posted:

You're exempt from this rule because your laziness transcends anything this dimension has ever witnessed.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You're exempt from this rule because your laziness transcends anything this dimension has ever witnessed.
Pretty sure I could give him a run for his money as I also never have checked a single one and flashed plenty of radios and even the "deathspl" on my old adp1.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

WeaselWeaz posted:

We aren't talking about Clockwork. You flash a radio in the bootloader, it does not confirm the md5.

Is this something specific to the Thunderbolt? I've been in the bootloader on my Evo all of twice, both times to flash a new recovery. Always did radios just from recovery without a problem.

I still don't think it's a smart idea to depend on the recovery to do a check, I recall seeing some posts in the past indicating that certain recoveries have checking disabled by default due to a lot of the half-rear end skin "ROM" developers being lazy fucks who don't package things right and fail the check.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

WeaselWeaz posted:

You flash it in either. Radios are available as update.zips for both phones I've had, and seen plenty of others.

(It passes it to the bootloader after a reboot to actually flash, but it checks the CRC before doing so).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

big mean giraffe posted:

This is not the case with CM7. CM7 on an Evo will correctly report on the signal bar when you only have a 1x connection.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone help me out? I've rooted my mytouch 4g, but I wasn't too sure about the engineering bootloader, I didn't know why it was needed so I didn't do it. (as per http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=858996)

I think I'm going to put a rom on, I don't like sense. The genius button is a piece of poo poo, and my battery life is really poo poo (about 20 hours or so with juice defender and the cpu adjuster). Is cyanogenmod the best option? I went out with colleagues last night, all of whom had the orange san francisco, and one said that he'd got double battery life from flashing a rom. I'm not expecting double but I just want some kind of improvement.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

redreader posted:

Can someone help me out? I've rooted my mytouch 4g, but I wasn't too sure about the engineering bootloader, I didn't know why it was needed so I didn't do it. (as per http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=858996)

I think I'm going to put a rom on, I don't like sense. The genius button is a piece of poo poo, and my battery life is really poo poo (about 20 hours or so with juice defender and the cpu adjuster). Is cyanogenmod the best option? I went out with colleagues last night, all of whom had the orange san francisco, and one said that he'd got double battery life from flashing a rom. I'm not expecting double but I just want some kind of improvement.

CM7 is probably the best rom for your phone, it's terrific on battery life, especially compared to sense. And yeah, you don't need an engineering bootloader, as long as you already have s-off.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Casao posted:

You flash it in either. Radios are available as update.zips for both phones I've had, and seen plenty of others.

(It passes it to the bootloader after a reboot to actually flash, but it checks the CRC before doing so).

For the Tbolt radio the threads with it have explicitly said to use the bootloader.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Weird issue with CM7/Evo. After a few days of running, if I reboot my phone, it will come up to the bootloader menu, from there I can select fastboot and then I get the menu with the recovery option (I may have switched the names of the menus, they're they white screen menus).

Choosing reboot at any point from any menu or recovery sends me back to the bootloader. No amount of wiping or clearing things helps. All I can do is reflash CM7, and everything comes up just fine, exactly like it was.

Any ideas? It's more of a pain than anything, but a bit annoying since I can't quickly reboot. After I flash I can reboot just fine for a bit, so it's not like it's every single time I try to reboot.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Cm7 final for og droid isn't finished yet so I'm running nightly 41. No real issues so far only thing is that when I plug the usb in to my computer the mount option doesn't come up on the phone. Anyone ever have this issue before? If so what'd you do to fix it?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

rotaryfun posted:

Cm7 final for og droid isn't finished yet so I'm running nightly 41. No real issues so far only thing is that when I plug the usb in to my computer the mount option doesn't come up on the phone. Anyone ever have this issue before? If so what'd you do to fix it?

Last time I checked there were a myriad of mounting apps on the Market.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Last time I checked there were a myriad of mounting apps on the Market.

Is there a way to launch the android mount app?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

redreader posted:

You don't need the engineering bootloader, just use the Gfree method and flash Clockwork. That's what I did.

I had CM7 flashed within the first hour I had the MyTouch 4G. You can try MIUI which is fully functional and a whole different taste, but a performance hit is definitely noticeable even with a moderate overclock. Otherwise, CM7 is the best. It turns the MT4G into an alright phone bogged down by a terrible software layer into a great phone.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
To anyone who has a MyTouch Slide (Espresso): CM7 build 42 has the newly open sourced Wifi drivers compiled natively.

Starbux
Jul 25, 2009

The Three Smugmigos
To anyone who has a thunderbolt: The new radio is twenty times better than the stock. My battery was at 75% when I unplugged it at around 5:30 PM last night, and was in a 4G area til 6 in the morning. It's now almost 2 PM the next day and I'm at 15%. So yeah, just the radio pretty much makes this phone flawless.

Tesla Coil 1.7.1 is my ROM, if anyone is wondering.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I'm running an EVO with Myn's Warm Z, and it's perfect, except I really wish I had 4G. Is there a similar ROM with Myn's polish (running Sense) that has 4G?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

CM 7.0.1 is coming out right now.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Actually n/m, now that I've been looking through the 'Show off your desktop' Android thread I've been convinced I can live without Sense:

:fap:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone with a Desire flashed their radio? It says you should in the CM wiki but mine seems to work fine without flashing. Any advantages to flashing it?

Schizo
Sep 9, 2001

Oh shit, Robotech lawyers!

Skeezy posted:

CM 7.0.1 is coming out right now.

And it's making my Shift automatically reboot into recovery a few minutes after startup. :( Back to 7.0 for me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Red_Fred posted:

Has anyone with a Desire flashed their radio? It says you should in the CM wiki but mine seems to work fine without flashing. Any advantages to flashing it?

It depends, I think the last radio update was from September? You should really only do that if you seem to have signal or gps issues though.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Schizo posted:

And it's making my Shift automatically reboot into recovery a few minutes after startup. :( Back to 7.0 for me.

cmsrc posted:

vendor_cyanogen/gingerbread - @cyanogen * 79e906 - cm: Bump to 7.0.2 because we are stupid.... http://kan.gd/ejs

They accidentally introduced a couple show-stopping bugs in 7.0.1, so they fixed it and bumped it to 7.0.2.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Always wait for the .1
And if not literally, than in spirit.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
So I managed to get my Droid X into a bootloop and it won't let me into the stock recovery. (Pressing search hardkey after holding home while booting does nothing.) I'm planning on SBFing when I get home from work. My question is: After I SBF, root, and bootstrap, can I go straight to restoring the working Gingerbread backup I made before doing all this? Or do I have to install Gingerbread as if I was installing the leak for the first time? Then can I restore the backup? When can I restore the backup is all I'm really asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizo
Sep 9, 2001

Oh shit, Robotech lawyers!

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

They accidentally introduced a couple show-stopping bugs in 7.0.1, so they fixed it and bumped it to 7.0.2.

And it didn't fix the automatic reboot either. :(