Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Mahoshonen posted:

I discovered this take on the Imperial March while wasting time on TvTropes. It is...glorious.

Looks like hippie Rebellion propaganda to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Found this gem on Wookieepedia:
"Did you know that Order 64 came before Order 65?"

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

who are mistaken.

VaultAggie posted:

Did you know that yesterday was Thursday, Thursday? And today is Friday, Friday!

The goddamn internet has broken me. :psyboom:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

Someone linked to this on TFN:

Wookieepedia posted:

Halmere was prone to screaming out in pain when bitten on the arm by large Selonians. He also registered surprise when disarmed by his sparring partners.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

Someone linked to this on TFN:

The Inquisitorius?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Were there any Imperial programs in place that weren't designed to inspire fear?

For example, naming all your ships things like "Intimidator" and "Devastator" all seem fairly jingoistic in terms of the military industrial complex.

Was Palpatine really doing much day-to-day control of the Empire, or was he content to let each sector moff handle their own affairs with fairly little oversight? Most of the people who moved to positions of power were simply bureaucrats that rode his coattails I'd imagine.

Was there really a anti non-human policy in the Empire, or was the prevalence of cloning and efficiency (i.e. one size uniforms, cockpits, etc.) the reason for the overwhelming homo-sapiens presence?

According to the Star Wars wiki, Jar Jar remained a huge supporter of Palpatine throughout the Empire. Was this because he was so simple-minded that he was a virtual zombie in the presence of Vader and Sidious?

RE: Dark Side - is there an actual intoxication that happens when relying on your emotions to use the force instead of meditation and focus? Do you feel more in-tune with the force when using your emotions instead of "light side" stuff? Anakin for instance was talking gibberish in Episode III about overthrowing the Emperor and ruling the galaxy, never-mind the fact he'd be laughed out of the senate and shot by stormtroopers. Or does that have less to do with the dark side and more to do with Anakin being a whiny bitch.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Warhammer what-now?

Actually looking it up, the Imperial Inquisitors originated in the first WEG Star Wars roleplaying game, which came out the same year that Warhammer 40K debuted, so it's possibly not out of the question.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Were there any Imperial programs in place that weren't designed to inspire fear?

For example, naming all your ships things like "Intimidator" and "Devastator" all seem fairly jingoistic in terms of the military industrial complex.
Not very many, no.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Was there really a anti non-human policy in the Empire, or was the prevalence of cloning and efficiency (i.e. one size uniforms, cockpits, etc.) the reason for the overwhelming homo-sapiens presence?
There absolutely was.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

LLJKSiLk posted:

According to the Star Wars wiki, Jar Jar remained a huge supporter of Palpatine throughout the Empire. Was this because he was so simple-minded that he was a virtual zombie in the presence of Vader and Sidious?

You're talking about the guy who was so retarded that he introduced legislation to give Palpatine unlimited power because some blue guy he didn't know said something about Amidala approving. It's pretty safe to say that all Vader/Sidious would have to do is mention the name "Amidala" to get Jar Jar to do anything for them. Hell, Palpatine probably used Jar Jar to propose legislation he wanted. Take him aside, tell Jar Jar "Padme would have totally wanted a law saying that non-humans and chicks are second-class citizens," and watch the magic happen. All Palpatine would have to do is use his numerous contacts made when he was Naboo's senator to make sure the retard kept getting elected.

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 24, 2011

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

LLJKSiLk posted:

RE: Dark Side - is there an actual intoxication that happens when relying on your emotions to use the force instead of meditation and focus? Do you feel more in-tune with the force when using your emotions instead of "light side" stuff? Anakin for instance was talking gibberish in Episode III about overthrowing the Emperor and ruling the galaxy, never-mind the fact he'd be laughed out of the senate and shot by stormtroopers. Or does that have less to do with the dark side and more to do with Anakin being a whiny bitch.

I see the Dark Side as being like anabolic steroids - they're both great if you need a short-term boost, but also they screw with your health and appearance and can easily turn you into a crazy rear end in a top hat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm having mental images of that stupid scene at the end of ROTS when they stuff Anakin in the suit he is just wrecking poo poo screaming ROOIIID RAGE.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Pththya-lyi posted:

I see the Dark Side as being like anabolic steroids - they're both great if you need a short-term boost, but also they screw with your health and appearance and can easily turn you into a crazy rear end in a top hat.

To be fair, the analogy would only work if one could use the Dark Side in moderation and live your life as an upstanding, moral-bound citizen and all-around good guy. They really only cause health issues (long term and most of the short term sides) if they are used in excess, without a proper cycle (including post cycle to get your natural hormones kick-started again), or too early (before the endocrine system fully develops ie past 25 at the least).

Fitness nerd derail over, and I am sure you're playing on the stereotype and know better, but I'm scared of the news media scaring people into banning hormone replacement therapy before I get old enough to need it, I can't help myself :patriot:

So according to Jorge, Dark=Bad and Light=Good...so I think it would be more like Methamphetamine. I've only met one person who used Meth in moderation, the rest succumb to it at one point or another.

The more I think about it, I like that analogy.

Dark Side = More power, more stamina, more energy, very emotional, basically puts your body's "normal" functions into overdrive.
Meth = Unlimited energy, no need for sleep, boundless stamina, euphoria (very emotional...usually positive but can go both ways), basically puts your body into overdrive as well.

It also covers why Dark Siders, after long-term use (or a massive amount of "dark side energy" or whatever) turn horrible disfigured and evil looking...sort of like meth. I think Sidious was using the Palpatine identity to slowly buy mass quantities of Iodine and Ephedrine, dude was building the world's biggest meth lab in the death star. It can move, so hard to bust...it's in space, so if it explodes not a huge deal and blowing up planets on a whim is sorta the impulsive stuff meth-heads would do.

Wow, I feel like I just wrote the nerdiest thing I have ever written.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
So what's the current official reason for Obi-Wan leaving Anakin to burn? Did he think Anakin was dead or are they still going with the book's weak "Don't kill an unarmed enemy, not the Jedi way, etc."?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

So what's the current official reason for Obi-Wan leaving Anakin to burn? Did he think Anakin was dead or are they still going with the book's weak "Don't kill an unarmed enemy, not the Jedi way, etc."?

I believe the Dark Lord book said that Obi-Wan thought Anakin was dead. At any rate, it covers his reaction to hearing about Vader for the first time and he's shocked that Anakin survived.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

McGann posted:

Meth/Dark Side stuff

Hey, you're right! You made the best analogy, you win the thread in my eyes. :allears:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Obi-wan had to listen to Anakin blather on about sand and Padme for like 10+ years. It was just very cathartic for him, okay?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pththya-lyi posted:

They also shrink your balls and is the reason why Palps wanted the Death Stars built.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Obi-wan had to listen to Anakin blather on about sand and Padme for like 10+ years. It was just very cathartic for him, okay?

Obi-Wan must have had patience of a saint. I would have stabbed Anakin in the genitals after the first hour with a lightsaber.

That and a slowly developing drink problem. Shut up Anakin none of the other Jedi get laid you socially retarded idiot.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

That and a slowly developing drink problem. Shut up Anakin none of the other Jedi get laid you socially retarded idiot.

Every time Obi-Wan has a drink he cuts someones arm off.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

PlasticPaddy posted:

Every time Obi-Wan has a drink he cuts someones arm off.

Where Obi-Wan goes, a cantina called the Aqualish Arm shorty opens up after.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
A bit retarded, but I thought people here would appreciate this:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/etymology.png

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A falcon is a sitting duck that Captain Panaka screams about!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Who's got that .gif with Anakin and Obi-Wan just spinning and whiffing their sabers at the end of Ep 3?

vvvvv Well done, that man.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 25, 2011

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That is so stupid. Even in the old Swashbuckler films of Errol Flynn somebody would get booted in the stomach for doing that on screen.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

My take on it is Obi-Wan believes Anakin is, ahem, toast anyway, so from a strictly pragmatic viewpoint, there's no need. Now, from a psychological standpoint, I've heard a lot of people claim Obi-Wan is a vengeful hypocrite and wants Anakin to suffer, but I like to think he just can't bring himself to do it because they're like brothers, etc. The book sort of fits this if we recognize Obi-Wan thinking he'll leave it up to the Force as a convenient rationalization for shirking the tough part. And I think it's kind of nice to see "mercy" that damns Anakin opposite from Luke's mercy, which save Vader.

Like poetry...

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Duckman2008 posted:

A bit retarded, but I thought people here would appreciate this:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/etymology.png

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bat-falcon

Wookiepedia posted:

The bat-falcon was a swift species of flying creatures. It inspired the name of the starship Millennium Falcon.

Wookiepedia posted:

Appearances:

I love it when it's apparent that they just make poo poo up to answer difficult questions.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Just spotted this on Topless Robot, there is a officially sanctioned Dark Side coffee brand where Vader is holding a mug of coffee on the packet and please tell me I'm not the only guy who thought of Blue Milk.

star wars 3D
Apr 26, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Who wrote the "Nub nub" song or whatever it's called? You know the one, the song the Ewoks sing at the end of The Empire Strikes Back.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just spotted this on Topless Robot, there is a officially sanctioned Dark Side coffee brand where Vader is holding a mug of coffee on the packet and please tell me I'm not the only guy who thought of Blue Milk.

In the script of ANH, I believe the Death Star conference room scene originally had Vader intimidating the Imperial officers by using the Force to levitate a coffee cup and drink from it, but Lucas had to abandon it because he couldn't film it (also, how exactly would Vader drink coffee?)

I know this sounds like I'm joking but I'm not.

Actually, I wonder if the Mr. Coffee scene in Spaceballs was spoofing this?

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

who are mistaken.

star wars 3D posted:

Who wrote the "Nub nub" song or whatever it's called? You know the one, the song the Ewoks sing at the end of The Empire Strikes Back.

Who wrote it in the real world, or in-universe?

According to Wookieepedia, John Williams wrote the music, Ben Burtt (sound designer for all the SW movies) wrote the Ewok lyrics, and John Williams' son wrote the English lyrics.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ewok_Celebration

In-universe, it was written by a random Ewok named, oh, let's say... "Moe".

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sith Happens posted:

Who is also force sensitive and helped the rebellion steal a portion of the Death Star plans. Get your back stories right! :goonsay:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Chairman Capone posted:

In the script of ANH, I believe the Death Star conference room scene originally had Vader intimidating the Imperial officers by using the Force to levitate a coffee cup and drink from it, but Lucas had to abandon it because he couldn't film it (also, how exactly would Vader drink coffee?)

I know this sounds like I'm joking but I'm not.

Actually, I wonder if the Mr. Coffee scene in Spaceballs was spoofing this?

Whether or not it is a spoof, knowing this makes that scene so much better.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pope Mobile posted:

Whether or not it is a spoof, knowing this makes that scene so much better.

"Witness the power of the Dark Side!"

He then proceeds to draw a dick with a stream of coffee in the direction of all the Moffs.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sith Happens posted:

I just want you to know, I appreciate this reference.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

SeanBeansShako posted:

"Witness the power of the Dark Side!"

He then proceeds to draw a dick with a stream of coffee in the direction of all the Moffs.

Which then sullies their cups of tea.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Sith Happens posted:

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh boy. Yet another character who has been everywhere and done everything.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

star wars 3D posted:

It was Return of the Jedi. Don't go anywhere, I'm going to write a 200 page spergy rant that will put stardestroyer.net to shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
You just made me go look up stardestroyer.net. That's quite a... thing :psyduck: