Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They'll also be ten feet tall, and easily defeated by girls singing.

B-but Rick Hunter has already been taken prisoner... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Because of this post I now love you, PTN.

I'm imagining Lynn Minmei Katherine Steiner-Davion singing j-pop and a bunch of Mad Cats and Thors grinding to a halt all around. :neckbeard:

Edit: poo poo, wrong era. Hrmm, who's an appropriate female love interest in the early 3030s?

W.T. Fits posted:

B-but Rick Hunter has already been taken prisoner... :ohdear:

Hahahahaha... Rick Hunter as a big-boned college frat boy maybe.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

WarLocke posted:

No no, Rick Hunter was actually piloting a thing in that last scenario. I don't remember what, but he was captured while piloting it one legged and blind. The clanners decided to make him dinner a bondsman. I think.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm fine with that as long as I get to say "Glorious." as one of my last words. And be able to breathe in space.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Veyrall posted:

No no, Rick Hunter was actually piloting a thing in that last scenario. I don't remember what, but he was captured while piloting it one legged and blind. The clanners decided to make him dinner a bondsman. I think.

Then who is Max Sterling?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Defiance Industries posted:

Gray Noton. Or, in 3050-era, Phelan.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Defiance Industries posted:

He's not making a reference or comparison. Go look. The Wolfhound pilot's name was in fact Corporal Richard Hunter.

If it turns out that that wasn't an intentional reference I will laugh like hell.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
It's kind of sad that I never noticed my namesake was one of the scrappiest MechWarriors this side of the Draconis March.

But as it stands he's probably telling the clanners not to rough him up because his dad owns a dealership and calling them faggots because they run a dry campaign.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Have you seen that Rebecca Black video? Being defeated by pop music isn't as bad as it sounds considering that I'm sure "Friday" is banned by the Geneva Convention under the same clause that bans torture. Every Great House probably has a strategic stockpile of terrible pop songs to deploy in the event that not even nuclear weapons are enough.

Anyways, I think the main thing to do is set up so that you're in a good strategic position the moment you open up on the statue and defenders start crawling out of the woodwork.

More importantly, the original plan called for a false-flag op against the Kuritans, this new one is a false-flag op against the Clans. I think whatever the op's attempting, it's probably got something to do with keeping the Lyran Commonwealth together against the Clans. Maybe guys are trying to get their individual peace instead of fighting to the bitter end?

It seems like an operation to smash a big shiny symbol might be just the thing to look like a Clan psyops operation gone horribly, horribly wrong. And the IS doesn't know how pathetically bad Clan Watch is, so this might even be reasonable to believe as a Clan op. Surely Clan SF wouldn't be so bad as to not use recovered enemy mechs to attempt an operation like this, right?

But that makes me wonder about the Clan emblems on the mechs.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 23, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, that's the Second Donegal for you. We drink hard. We fight hard.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I'm imagining Lynn Minmei Katherine Steiner-Davion singing j-pop and a bunch of Mad Cats and Thors grinding to a halt all around. :neckbeard:

Edit: poo poo, wrong era. Hrmm, who's an appropriate female love interest in the early 3030s?

Lynn Minmei is Chinese, right? Wouldn't a more proper choice be...wait for it...

Romano Liao? :v:
Suddenly, I feel very bad for suggesting that...

*is sitting in his Archer mech glancing at the ejection seat handle*

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

KnoxZone posted:

This is Duke Aldo Lestrade. The statue is obviously built like an Atlas.

Oh dear. It's an Atlas in covered in bronze paint, isn't it?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

TildeATH posted:

Oh dear. It's an Atlas in covered in bronze paint, isn't it?

The duke is in the atlas... waiting for you... try to attack it mwahahah!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

This exact possibility (statue is really a mech) is exactly what I was thinking. I only regret that I am about a page too late in broaching it. Think about it: you shoot that thing first to "lure out" or whatever whoever is in the nightclub (as per the scenario objectives I vaguely recall reading earlier). Ok, you shot a loving statue, grats, real hardcore, not even any drat people around it, some terrorists you are. Hell, if you decide to go melee it to "death," how would anyone at the club even know? Answer: there's a pilot sitting in it, because Heimdall has been infiltrated and the plan's been leaked, but last minute orders managed to go out to kill the statue because the counter-intelligence within Heimdall has managed to find the plant and ferret out his last report. If you had ignored the statue, it would have started mowing you down through your rear armor while you were faffing about at the nightclub. But NOW you have a fighting chance, because I seriously doubt those tanks are going to make it to you anytime soon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I hope this isn't the surprise, because if it is it's utterly far-fetched. How would you sneak an Atlas anywhere? If the Duke is aware of Heimdall's involvement, why would he stand there waiting to be attacked? If the target is a nightclub, why smuggle a 100-ton death machine into a major urban area to take it out, when a truck bomb would do the job just as well?

Hope you're wrong on that one.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Maybe I just skimmed the last update or two, but do we really know this is Heimdall and Loki? Are we sure it isn't, like, Space PETA after some snooty model who can afford "light" security by Lyran standards?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Arglebargle III posted:

I hope this isn't the surprise, because if it is it's utterly far-fetched. How would you sneak an Atlas anywhere? If the Duke is aware of Heimdall's involvement, why would he stand there waiting to be attacked? If the target is a nightclub, why smuggle a 100-ton death machine into a major urban area to take it out, when a truck bomb would do the job just as well?

Hope you're wrong on that one.

See, the problem here is that your assuming anything in the Battletech universe makes any amount of goddamn sense at all. I think this thread has pretty thoroughly proven that it kinda doesn't. Also, Cardassians are well known for their wily war game shenanigans.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

WarLocke posted:

Kym Sorensen or Riva Allard, perhaps?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In the 3030s? Melissa Steiner, duh.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

paragon1 posted:

See, the problem here is that your assuming anything in the Battletech universe makes any amount of goddamn sense at all. I think this thread has pretty thoroughly proven that it kinda doesn't. Also, Cardassians are well known for their wily war game shenanigans.

Nah, I have confidence that whatever PTN comes up with will hang together fairly well. There are scenarios where I could see a mech being smuggled into a statue (would probably have to have the statue built around it actually.) But those scenarios are less for taking out nightclubs and more for, say, launching a surprise attack on the Steiner throne, which of course has the most hardass royal guard in the Inner Sphere. You would actually need an Atlas to assassinate a Steiner sitting in the Lyran throne room.

But for a nightclub I really don't see the point. Then again, risky covert operations in real life often get hosed up beyond all belief before they even get started. Maybe PTN has decided to let fiction follow truth and engineered some kind of giant clusterfuck of an operation where an Atlas could conceivably be hiding in a statue for entirely unrelated reasons and burst out like the Kool-Aid man to the surprise of everyone involved.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Arglebargle III posted:

You should shut up because it would be awesome.

Awesome.

:black101:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Don't kick the statue you morons. you will get too close to the residental area and there might be infantry in the buildings.

also dude i supposed to buy plat to check your email and send me the right email.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Oh duh.

Edit: Edited for stupidity.

cafel fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Update: The Commando just cannot catch a break, Kaboom Dragoon has also passed. Terror Storm is up to bat!

Additional Update: Wargames is very close to 'timing out', so Capskye (and potentially Uberjew, just in case) should stand by.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 23, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Alright, sign me up. Maybe enough people will ditch or be too busy.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
SO.. I just realized that blue poo poo in the middle of the map is a park? Way to think it was a blue residental area. Is the blue poo poo ice then?

PTN :argh:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Griffin is a pretty chill mech I would not want to take one on.

also Please update the sign ups and put me on it... I do have pms... I think, I know I paid money for them, but I have never used them.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Affi posted:

SO.. I just realized that blue poo poo in the middle of the map is a park? Way to think it was a blue residental area. Is the blue poo poo ice then?

The blue poo poo is stuff you're not allowed to damage. Which the statue is right in the middle of. So don't melee the statue or stuff you're supposed to protect is going to get collateralled.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

DatonKallandor posted:

The blue poo poo is stuff you're not allowed to damage. Which the statue is right in the middle of. So don't melee the statue or stuff you're supposed to protect is going to get collateralled.

But this is an ice planet, how do we know this isn't a snow park?

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

DatonKallandor posted:

They only have to avoid damaging civilian buildings. Those would be the rather well defined parallelograms you see in some places of the map that are not the statue.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Affi posted:

quote:

quote:

But this is an ice planet, how do we know this isn't a snow park?

I hope you people don't depend too much on maps in your daily life.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Vox Nihili posted:

I hope you people don't depend too much on maps in your daily life.

Most of the maps I deal with in daily life don't divide poo poo into hexes, bro :colbert:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The objective did say to avoid shooing anything blue, I saw the blue in the middle and figured that was part of it. On closer inspections the darkblue rectangels are likely the residental buildings.

I don't want to be nitpicky but that was inherently obvious :(

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Affi posted:

The objective did say to avoid shooing anything blue, I saw the blue in the middle and figured that was part of it. On closer inspections the darkblue rectangels are likely the residental buildings.

I don't want to be nitpicky but that was inherently obvious :(

Different shade of blue though... The darker blue parallelograms are definitely the residential buildings that you guys are supposed to avoid damaging. The hexagon and triangle of lighter blue is probably snow on the ground in a park or something of that nature. We are on an ice planet, after all... Common sense, people!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm colourblind. There is no blue on that map. Burn everything.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GhostStalker posted:

Different shade of blue though... The darker blue parallelograms are definitely the residential buildings that you guys are supposed to avoid damaging. The hexagon and triangle of lighter blue is probably snow on the ground in a park or something of that nature. We are on an ice planet, after all... Common sense, people!

I think what tripped me up is that the buildings don't correspond to the hexes 1:1 - which is the way it's presented in the BT manuals.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

GhostStalker posted:

The darker blue looked sorta grey and I just focused on the easily identified lightblue.

This changes a lot though. We should probably try to stay around the middle fighting. Use jumpjets liberally (they dont slide on ice right?) and keep the commando outside, move from cover to cover and try to nail people with a backshot.

Also.

NEVER.

Stand next to a fellow mech. If he gets killed you will suffer 20dmg.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

goatface posted:

I'm colourblind. There is no blue on that map. Burn everything.

Hmmmm...

Would Heimdall be stupid enough to take a MechWarrior who suffers from the inability to see certain shades that he normally compensates for by driving a 'mech whose HUD is adjusted to display all colors in shades he does recognize, then put him in a 'mech which has not been color-adjusted and color-code the map?

Probably not. What about LOKI? :)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Hmmmm...

Would Heimdall be stupid enough to take a MechWarrior who suffers from the inability to see certain shades that he normally compensates for by driving a 'mech whose HUD is adjusted to display all colors in shades he does recognize, then put him in a 'mech which has not been color-adjusted and color-code the map?

Probably not. What about LOKI? :)

It's not stupidity, it's equal rights. Jerk. =P

(It worked out even more poorly for the completely blind unit they sent to defend the refugee camp from the initial Clan attacks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zaodai posted:

It's not stupidity, it's equal rights. Jerk. =P

(It worked out even more poorly for the completely blind unit they sent to defend the refugee camp from the initial Clan attacks.)

"If you could let me touch your face, I could 'see' who I'm talking to... wow, that's a lot of metal!"

• Locked thread