Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

silversiren posted:

Monday at work was HELL. My 3rd night in a row closing, and when I got there, the one jackass bagger that literally has asperger's, everyone hates him, was bagging for the cashier I was taking over for. Right as I was about to sign in, the fucker spills 5lbs of flax seed all over the place. And I do mean all over the place. It was all over the register, all over the bags, all over the card machine, all over the floor. It was everywhere.
So what does he do?
HE WALKS AWAY. And makes me clean up the mess. Do you know how hard it is to clean up flax seed? 5 lbs of flax seed? I had to close my register at the busiest part of the day to find some lovely broom and non functional dustpan to try and clean up his mess, while the managers glared at me because all of the other registers were backing up because I had to close. We have like 11 registers and all of them were open except for mine.
I finally got the mess cleaned up and he suddenly appears right soon after, and another bagger, bless him, kept asking, "Dude why the gently caress didn't you help her clean up?" and the other guy just couldn't say anything.

Then later, I was ringing up a lady and he was helping her unload her cart. I started asking her all the questions we go through, "Hi, how are you? How was your weekend? Did you find everything?" and he stops what he's doing, turns to me, and says in some snarky tone, ".. I already asked her that." Dude, she's more than capable of answering the question more than once, just shut the gently caress up.
I have never wanted to punch someone in the face more than this guy. I'm not even a violent person, I just cannot STAND him.

What were the managers doing during all this other than glaring at you? Do they not realize that they're paid to, you know.. MANAGE?! You know, step in and help, or at least get the fucker who did this to come back and help, or send him on his merry loving way if he doesn't? Sweet tap-dancing Christ, stories like this make me rage. It makes me wonder why I bust my rear end as a manager to get ABSOLUTELY loving NOWHERE when apparently I can stand around and glare at people and be a prick to anyone who speaks to me at a different store and still pick up a paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
A Gamestop story:

Apparently, this dude had come in the night before and tried to trade in video game drumsticks. We take them in, or something, I honestly have no idea, but V my assistant manager chose not to take them because it was obvious he had opened the package just to trade them in - which is a pretty clear sign that they've been stolen.

I'm working with V the next day when he comes in with his girlfriend, and someone trades in some kind of game apparatus (a Wii gun attachment, iirc) that we do take in, and he just gets completely enraged. V tries to explain to him why we couldn't take them in the day before, and his girlfriend gets totally embarrassed.

"I'm going to call corporate and tell them you get paid so much to be rude to customers! With your $8 an hour job, you could stand to be a little nicer!"

All I could think was man, I wish I got paid $8 an hour. I got a whole $0.11 raise from minimum wage ($7.25) when I was moved from a holiday temp to part time. A job that pays $8 sounds... glorious...

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

tentawesome posted:

All I could think was man, I wish I got paid $8 an hour. I got a whole $0.11 raise from minimum wage ($7.25) when I was moved from a holiday temp to part time. A job that pays $8 sounds... glorious...

Though I work nonstop during the few lovely hours I get, I make about $9.50 an hour at my job. Someone like Joe makes $20 an hour standing around bitching-out people. There really isn't anything else to say other than "life sucks for us".

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

miscellaneous14 posted:

Though I work nonstop during the few lovely hours I get, I make about $9.50 an hour at my job. Someone like Joe makes $20 an hour standing around bitching-out people. There really isn't anything else to say other than "life sucks for us".

I cannot IMAGINE how you guys manage to live on even $9.50 an hour, to be honest. I'm lucky because I'm in college and I still live with my mother so quitting a week ago isn't going to kill me, but I still had to borrow gas and food money from her while I was still working. I just hope the job market is a lot better when I graduate :(

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

TShields posted:

What were the managers doing during all this other than glaring at you? Do they not realize that they're paid to, you know.. MANAGE?! You know, step in and help, or at least get the fucker who did this to come back and help, or send him on his merry loving way if he doesn't? Sweet tap-dancing Christ, stories like this make me rage. It makes me wonder why I bust my rear end as a manager to get ABSOLUTELY loving NOWHERE when apparently I can stand around and glare at people and be a prick to anyone who speaks to me at a different store and still pick up a paycheck.

Really, all they were doing was standing around. On a semi-regular basis, they are pretty good about helping people but I guess for some reason they found it entertaining to watch an already extremely stressed cashier clean up a mess that wasn't even her fault.
I don't have any managerial experience and I could've done a better job at fixing the situation.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

tentawesome posted:

A Gamestop story:

Apparently, this dude had come in the night before and tried to trade in video game drumsticks. We take them in, or something, I honestly have no idea, but V my assistant manager chose not to take them because it was obvious he had opened the package just to trade them in - which is a pretty clear sign that they've been stolen.

I'm working with V the next day when he comes in with his girlfriend, and someone trades in some kind of game apparatus (a Wii gun attachment, iirc) that we do take in, and he just gets completely enraged. V tries to explain to him why we couldn't take them in the day before, and his girlfriend gets totally embarrassed.

"I'm going to call corporate and tell them you get paid so much to be rude to customers! With your $8 an hour job, you could stand to be a little nicer!"

8 an hour isn't enough to put up with any kind of bullshit, I'm not sure what that dude was thinking. I recently got a 15 cent (!) raise so now I make 9.40/hour and it STILL isn't enough to put up with the bullshit I deal with each and every day.
The managers, it is rumored, make over $100k a year. If I were making that much, maybe I could stand to be a little nicer.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Ugh my grandma has gotten in a bad habit of throwing her money on the counter instead of giving it to the cashier. I finally picked it up off the counter and handed it to the lady and my grandma just stared at me.

This is the woman who taught me my manners. She talks about social graces.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I really wish I had quit already. Next week is more laden with hours than any other I've worked, which is a real dick-move to follow the worst weekend I've ever worked up with. I sincerely hope my next interview is before it, rather than after, so I can actually plan around this bullshit. And look who's still working as a supervisor this weekend! I'm gonna raise hell about this, even if it gets me fired.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I'm getting phone calls from the alarm company at 1 a.m. that the alarm is going off in the store. I just got back from Planet Fitness, so I'm loving zonked. The first one went to voicemail while I was working out. I ignored the second. I'm the furthest employee from the store- 30 minutes away with traffic lights. There's no loving WAY I'm driving out there because some goddamn balloon got out of the moronic cage that they put up on the ceiling to display them right beside an air vent. As soon as one starts to lose lift, it catches it and blows it in a circuit around the entire store. Logic should dictate that if the motion censor at the front of the store, the emergency exit, or stockroom aren't the ones going off that it's probably a false alarm and they don't need me driving out in the middle of the night to say "Nope, no burglars!" Nobody is "Mission: Impossible"-ing their way into the center of the store from the ceiling with cables.

tentawesome posted:

I cannot IMAGINE how you guys manage to live on even $9.50 an hour, to be honest. I'm lucky because I'm in college and I still live with my mother so quitting a week ago isn't going to kill me, but I still had to borrow gas and food money from her while I was still working. I just hope the job market is a lot better when I graduate :(
Edit: For the record, since we're counting here- 5 years of retail/customer service experience, 3 solid years of retail management, and a Bachelor's degree, and I make $9.25 an hour.

gently caress. My. Life. :smith:

TShields fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 21, 2011

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I put my two weeks in at RadioShack on Monday. I seriously can't motivate myself to actually work these next two weeks, since I know I'll be out of this hellhole in 5 more shifts.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I put my two weeks in at RadioShack on Monday. I seriously can't motivate myself to actually work these next two weeks, since I know I'll be out of this hellhole in 5 more shifts.

I was a Manager-in-Training with RadioShack for a while. I really enjoyed the job until the economy fell apart! Before that, it wasn't uncommon for me to get $400 in commission a week. And good loving lord, Black Friday? I think I had $8000 in sales, easily. Ahh, the good old days...

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

TShields posted:

I was a Manager-in-Training with RadioShack for a while. I really enjoyed the job until the economy fell apart! Before that, it wasn't uncommon for me to get $400 in commission a week. And good loving lord, Black Friday? I think I had $8000 in sales, easily. Ahh, the good old days...

You must have had a better DM than I do - that guy makes this place absolutely miserable to work for, even though the money is pretty good otherwise.

On that note, the DM called me not 5 minutes ago and told me that if I didn't reconsider leaving he would terminate me. :psyduck:

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

On that note, the DM called me not 5 minutes ago and told me that if I didn't reconsider leaving he would terminate me. :psyduck:

What a sad, sad guy. Although a great reason to say "You can't fire me... I quit!"

Abercrunchie
Jun 9, 2009
Ugh, working as a cashier has made me lose most of my hope in humanity. As soon as a customer does something that restores my faith, something else happens that completely strips it away. A good example is what happened last night at work:

It's pretty dead and a customer comes to my register to buy one of our ready-made BBQ chickens. The packaging on them is pretty terrible though, and it's not uncommon to have grease leaking out and getting all over everything unless you're really careful. That's exactly what happened with this guy, but hey, he didn't know. This happens all the time.

I grab some paper towels and start wiping up the mess and he grabs some too and actually ends up HELPING me instead of just standing there. It's not a requirement to help me when stuff like this happens but it's always nice. The guy even apologises for making a mess. I say there's no need, everything's cool, we get it all cleaned up and he's on his way.

...then as he's leaving he dumps the big wad of greasy paper towels he had into our food donation bin. :argh: :bang:

HOW COULD YOU??? There are signs EVERYWHERE around there saying that it's not a garbage. It doesn't even remotely resemble a trash bin you fuckhead!

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

That's when you get really excited and say, "so that means I can collect unemployment too? That's fantastic! Thanks, <DM>!"

It doesn't matter whether you really can or not. It'll still make him think, for the briefest moment, that his grand plan to assert his dominance was completely miscommunicated. And he'll have no one to blame but himself, provided your acting skills are good enough. :)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sonic Dude posted:

That's when you get really excited and say, "so that means I can collect unemployment too? That's fantastic! Thanks, <DM>!"

It doesn't matter whether you really can or not. It'll still make him think, for the briefest moment, that his grand plan to assert his dominance was completely miscommunicated. And he'll have no one to blame but himself, provided your acting skills are good enough. :)

He sounds like an abusive spouse in a way. Also, I'm pretty sure you could collect that unemployment, since there is no cause to fire you. Normal companies would just pay you for those two weeks, but obviously retail exists in a parallel universe where employees aren't human beings.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Abercrunchie posted:

..then as he's leaving he dumps the big wad of greasy paper towels he had into our food donation bin. :argh: :bang:

HOW COULD YOU??? There are signs EVERYWHERE around there saying that it's not a garbage. It doesn't even remotely resemble a trash bin you fuckhead!

You work at a Publix, don't you? It absolutely breaks my heart and enrages me all at the same time when I pass by the food donation bin and it reeks of garbage.
People are loving idiots.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Anyone with a brain (i.e. not your management, clearly) would have set up something like that behind the counter and have it to where people couldn't put anything in there unless an employee had seen it first. And also write-up dumb ones for using it as a trash-can anyway; everyone at my job always throws their trash in the glass-recycle bin.

Abercrunchie
Jun 9, 2009

silversiren posted:

You work at a Publix, don't you? It absolutely breaks my heart and enrages me all at the same time when I pass by the food donation bin and it reeks of garbage.
People are loving idiots.

Food Basics, actually. The store's located on kinda the ghetto side of town so unfortunately this happens quite a lot.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I have to go back into work in an hour after 2 glorious days off. I think I'm going to cry.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

miscellaneous14 posted:

Anyone with a brain (i.e. not your management, clearly) would have set up something like that behind the counter and have it to where people couldn't put anything in there unless an employee had seen it first. And also write-up dumb ones for using it as a trash-can anyway; everyone at my job always throws their trash in the glass-recycle bin.

That would make perfect sense to put it behind the counter at my store, since customers aren't the ones who put the food donation bags together anywhere. Someone else does it and places it in the bin.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Why won't my coworker quit talking to me about her sex life? :gonk:

Editing to say how loving much I hate my life once again. A guy I went to high school with just got a new job without even looking, THEY came to HIM. He was already making 3x my income, easily. Now he's making more. I really want to go out the roof hatch and swan dive into the parking lot right now..

TShields fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 22, 2011

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Whoo hoo, two day weekend! Thanks Easter!

It's pretty sad that I think a two-day weekend is exciting and unusual.

I've worked in retail for going on 7 years now, and I am definitely in the minority when I say that I actually really love it. It's certainly always exciting at least! Though I work in midtown manhattan, so maybe I've just built a shell for customer bullshit.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
How can you people like having two days off in a row? It goes by so quick as if it was just one day. To me it sucks because then I'm going to have to work at least 5 days in a row which is too much.

I prefer having 1 day off, work 2 days, another day off, work 3 days and repeat. At least this way it doesn't feel like I'm there too much.

TShields posted:

Editing to say how loving much I hate my life once again. A guy I went to high school with just got a new job without even looking, THEY came to HIM. He was already making 3x my income, easily. Now he's making more. I really want to go out the roof hatch and swan dive into the parking lot right now..
I know this feeling too well. This happened to me twice and both those people shop where I work :(. The sad part is that I was getting better grades then them back in college. Not to say that good grades = job, but I was taking life more seriously then them.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

TShields posted:

Why won't my coworker quit talking to me about her sex life? :gonk:

I hear positions are limited in heaven...

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
To those of you working in retail that don't like it (presumably 95% of you), I would highly recommend getting an office job of some kind. After five years in supermarket hell I got a lovely job in a call centre, but it was miles loving better. After four months I got wind of another job opportunity which put me on a career path and 10 years later I'm living the high life (comparatively).

Honestly, if all you've ever known is retail, you don't know what you're missing.

EDIT: To elaborate, I worked in Safeway/Morrisons from ages 16-21. Part-time through high school and uni, until I dropped out and went full-time and into a supervisory role. When I worked out that I'd have to work another five years or so there to make £12,000 (about US$20,000) a year, I realised that I was busting my hump for no good reason. A 15c raise was the straw that broke the camel's back, so I started to look elsewhere and got wind of this call centre position. I have to say, selling insurance on the phone 9-5 beats the poo poo out of cleaning floors at 6am, making pizza and stocking shelves.

modeski fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 23, 2011

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

modeski posted:

To those of you working in retail that don't like it (presumably 95% of you), I would highly recommend getting an office job of some kind. After five years in supermarket hell I got a lovely job in a call centre, but it was miles loving better. After four months I got wind of another job opportunity which put me on a career path and 10 years later I'm living the high life (comparatively).

Honestly, if all you've ever known is retail, you don't know what you're missing.

Do you honestly think most of us haven't tried? loving hell, all I want is $20k.. just $20k.. Where the hell did I go wrong..?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
To those following my story of my friend working 40 hours a week for free: she's getting paid now, she says. She still gets picked up and dropped off from work by her friend-boss but she says at least now she's getting paid. She also has upped her work hours to seven days a week, 10 to 12 hours a day.

Not because the pay is great. Because he is OMG her awesome friend who is doing her SUCH a huge favor letting her work for him! Oh, and she doesn't want to deal with her parents, who ask her for rent money. So her plan, so far, it seems is to barely be at the house, work nonstop, and at some point....move out? No, no, she can't move out. But apparently working 60 hours a week now and getting paid for at least some of it is a step up, right?

She says I just don't understand how utterly insanely awesomely important this store is. Apparently I don't. And no, I have no desire to leave my job to work with and for her totally awesome friend.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

TShields posted:

Do you honestly think most of us haven't tried? loving hell, all I want is $20k.. just $20k.. Where the hell did I go wrong..?
Well it boils down to what you want to do, and what you need to do to get there.

So, what do you want to do? Maybe some of us ex-retailers can offer some advice?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Rohaq posted:

Well it boils down to what you want to do, and what you need to do to get there.

Rohaq's right. It's a matter of setting goals and working towards them. The problem is that it's not easy. It is easy to stay in a lovely retail job, though - I did it for five years. The only person who's going to improve your lot in life is you.

EDIT: I don't mean to poo poo on anyone still in retail, especially in the current economic situation. I got out 10 years ago, way before the GFC etc.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

modeski posted:

Rohaq's right. It's a matter of setting goals and working towards them. The problem is that it's not easy. It is easy to stay in a lovely retail job, though - I did it for five years. The only person who's going to improve your lot in life is you.

EDIT: I don't mean to poo poo on anyone still in retail, especially in the current economic situation. I got out 10 years ago, way before the GFC etc.
I'd just like to make the point that I never claimed that it was going to be easy :)

But then nothing worth having ever is. Sometimes you've gotta make plans, take risks, and sometimes you fall on your rear end in the process.

I've done some really lovely, sometimes low paid jobs between my retail days and today just to gain experience in my field, and now I'm on the verge of completing my degree as a mature student, with some good job prospects on the horizon. I've worked my rear end off to get here and always strived to be the best at whatever I'm currently doing, but it's been totally worth it.

EDIT:- Also not making GBS threads on anyone in retail here, but it pains me to see people who feel like they're stuck in retail forever, when they really don't want to be.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
After completing four tests for art studios, the first two companies stopped hiring when they realized they couldn't take on any more artists, and the most recent two are looking like a no. :(

I applied for some retail jobs today. :smithicide:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Cowslips Warren posted:

To those following my story of my friend working 40 hours a week for free: she's getting paid now, she says. She still gets picked up and dropped off from work by her friend-boss but she says at least now she's getting paid. She also has upped her work hours to seven days a week, 10 to 12 hours a day.

Not because the pay is great. Because he is OMG her awesome friend who is doing her SUCH a huge favor letting her work for him! Oh, and she doesn't want to deal with her parents, who ask her for rent money. So her plan, so far, it seems is to barely be at the house, work nonstop, and at some point....move out? No, no, she can't move out. But apparently working 60 hours a week now and getting paid for at least some of it is a step up, right?

She says I just don't understand how utterly insanely awesomely important this store is. Apparently I don't. And no, I have no desire to leave my job to work with and for her totally awesome friend.

Honestly, I still think you should report this store to the department of labour. Just call in a tip and say there's a person who works there 7 days a week every week and you're concerned she's being forced to work against her will. The department of labour will probably check to make sure she's getting paid accordingly, discover he doesn't have her on the books at all or is underreporting her hours worked, and make sure she gets paid. That or he'll lie through the teeth about the whole deal and realise he's either going to have to start paying her properly, or cover it up better.

Seriously, that guy sounds like either a scumbag or a supreme idiot. It doesn't matter whether she wants to work there for free or not, the department of labour's job is to ensure people get compensated for services rendered (and it's doubtful he can get away with it by saying 'she really wants to work for me for free!').

Your friend needs to have reality check - her parents need rent money, they can't support her forever, and what her "friend" is doing is most likely against the law. It doesn't matter how much she enjoys the job, she has to realise that her "boss" needs to pay for labour and she's being (willingly) taken advantage of, and ultimately it's her and her parents who are losing out in this situation.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 23, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

You must have had a better DM than I do - that guy makes this place absolutely miserable to work for, even though the money is pretty good otherwise.

So tell him to gently caress off and quit. Honestly, I am all for two week notices, but at this point I NEVER see employers give the benefit when they fire someone, so why the hell should you?

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Rohaq posted:

So, what do you want to do? Maybe some of us ex-retailers can offer some advice?

Any regular of this thread can tell you all about me. I want to do anything- ANYTHING- that will pay me more than I'm making now and isn't retail (given), sales (I hate pressuring people into buying more than they need/can afford, which is all sales is these days), custodial (meh), or maintenance/construction (bad shoulder and I'm out of shape, but I'm actively dieting/exercising... still no desire to work in North Carolina heat/humidity during the summer. Oh, and little to no related experience or skills. I don't like working in my own yard. I'll be damned if I'm going to work in someone else's). I search daily on Indeed.com, but I do have CareerBuilder and Monster accounts that haven't really netted me anything worthwhile.

I have a Bachelor's in History Education. Teaching made me suicidal- even more so than retail. If you suggest that I go back and teach, this conversation is over. Period. I worked 5 years of retail cashiering/clerking in high school and the first part of college, taught high school for a year, then I have 3 years of retail management at various locations, with 4 months of unemployment mixed in just for fun. I've been applying to anything and everything that has caught my eye since last October. No dice. Not even a phone call. No offer of interviews when I call to check up. Just rejection letters. My resume has been updated and re-updated by goons. It looks great. Better than great. Amazing. Still no calls. Right now I make $9.25 an hour as part of the management team and work about 35-40 hours a week. This breaks down to a take-home income of just under $14k. Even though my paycheck is loving pathetic, I'm expected to work just as hard as the head manager, who makes $60+k a year. There is no opportunity for promotion. The DM did away with that as of Jan. 1st. Raises are locked at 2% a year on your hiring date. Assuming I get a raise this year, I'll be making a big loving $0.19 more an hour. Horay... That will be coming up soon though, so I guess that's something to look forward to. Wonder what I'll do with that extra $6 a paycheck?

Here's an edited version of what I'm working with now. It was entirely goon-made: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-KJor8Oti6Q4jneXH0WkZ-mDNzdTfcTmW2NZ6f0N1QU/edit?hl=en&authkey=CKOM2aQD

TShields fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 23, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

TShields posted:

Any regular of this thread can tell you all about me. I want to do anything- ANYTHING- that will pay me more than I'm making now and isn't retail (given), sales (I hate pressuring people into buying more than they need/can afford, which is all sales is these days), custodial (meh), or maintenance/construction (bad shoulder and I'm out of shape, but I'm actively dieting/exercising... still no desire to work in North Carolina heat/humidity during the summer. Oh, and little to no related experience or skills. I don't like working in my own yard. I'll be damned if I'm going to work in someone else's).

I have a Bachelor's in History Education. Teaching made me suicidal- even more so than retail. If you suggest that I go back and teach, this conversation is over. Period. I worked 5 years of retail cashiering/clerking in high school and the first part of college, taught high school for a year, then I have 3 years of retail management at various locations, with 4 months of unemployment mixed in just for fun. I've been applying to anything and everything that has caught my eye since last October. No dice. Not even a phone call. No offer of interviews when I call to check up. Just rejection letters. My resume has been updated and re-updated by goons. It looks great. Better than great. Amazing. Still no calls.

Here's an edited version of what I'm working with now. It was entirely goon-made: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-KJor8Oti6Q4jneXH0WkZ-mDNzdTfcTmW2NZ6f0N1QU/edit?hl=en&authkey=CKOM2aQD

Would it be possibly for you to take night classes in something else and work up the chain? Here in Australia major retailers like Coles and Woolworths actively encourage their staff to work up the chain and try to put forward the idea that retail isn't a dead-end job. E.g. somebody might start out on the shop floor, complete a pre-apprenticeship at TAFE (community college) then get an apprenticeship within the bakery of the same store where they become a fully fledged baker.

While it would be still retail, if you did a few classes in accounting, bookkeeping, and possibly any software that is commonly used for payroll, they might want to put you in the accounts or payroll department. Hell, they might want to even pay you to take the classes and at least then you won't have to deal with the :byodood:s and :btroll:s of the area. However, if you're not into that sort of thing this might not be a good idea.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 23, 2011

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

froglet posted:

Would it be possibly for you to take night classes in something else and work up the chain?

I think he actually mentioned something along the lines of "I'm already overworked enough by my current job, I couldn't stand the idea of having to do this and college", which I would really agree with, though in my case I had the misfortune of being raised with incompetent home-tuition attempts by my parents. :(

Unexpectedly, I went ahead and told my managers I "might need to move away on short-notice, I won't know for sure until Monday", and they pretty much said "that's fine, we'll keep you on the schedule for next week until then, just let us know on Monday if we need to take you off". Shame their nice-attitude has to compensate for their constant tolerance of lazy employees. It wouldn't be nearly as difficult around here if only a few slackers would pull their own weight.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

I think he actually mentioned something along the lines of "I'm already overworked enough by my current job, I couldn't stand the idea of having to do this and college", which I would really agree with, though in my case I had the misfortune of being raised with incompetent home-tuition attempts by my parents. :(

That's about the size of it. I'm far too poor to go back to school. I told you my income. I'm not living with the folks anymore, I'm out on my own. My fiance pulls in a mighty $10.50 an hour, so the technically makes more, but she's amassed more bills than me, including car payments and student loans. I dodged that since my folks were doing alright when I went to school and my car is paid off. (Now, though, my family is broke- Dad was a sales manager at a builder's supply company, and when the economy tanked, they used his team's poor sales as an excuse to fire him. He was a scapegoat, plain and simple. Looking back, I'm sure they feel like morons for getting rid of him because he's a drat good leader and salesman, but... so it goes. No more college help from them, but they are helping with the wedding.) Oh, and there's really no night classes post-10 p.m., and even if there was, if I had to work the next day? No thanks.. They're really opposed to making "set" schedules for some loving reason.. I'd kill for the ability to work the same thing from week to week, at least then I could plan for poo poo.

My store is open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., and occasionally I work that crazy-rear end 15 hour shift as the only manager. 35-40 hours a week doesn't SEEM like much compared to what some people work, but sometimes it's in stretched of 7-12 days in a row with no days off. Like, I had yesterday off, but I worked today, and my next day off is Saturday of NEXT week. Even if I work from 7 a.m.-1 p.m., my day is kinda shot.. I'm dead tired, since I probably didn't leave the building until 10:30 p.m. before, I still have to go to the gym every night (finally getting married in September, really pushing myself to get in shape), so I'm not in bed until midnight-1 a.m., up by 5:40 a.m. to get ready for work... It's a mess.

And it's not like I'm just standing around there. There are weekly plan-o-grams that involve basically ripping a section apart and rebuilding it from scratch, crawling around on the floor for hours checking out-of-dates, stocking shelves, carrying my overstock up and down stairs (yay me, I got the overstock section in the loft that's up 26 stairs. Couldn't be light stuff like paper towels- oh, no! I get 50 pound crates of shampoo...), so it's pretty physically demanding every day. By the time I get to get off work, I'm zonked. It's all I can do to get an hour of elliptical time at the gym every night.

TShields fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 23, 2011

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

TShields posted:

Any regular of this thread can tell you all about me. I want to do anything- ANYTHING- that will pay me more than I'm making now and isn't (pretty much everything but office jobs)

I've been rooting for you a lot earlier in the thread, but jesus christ man, poo poo or get off the pot. Your work place will never give you a raise. At this point, it'd be better for you to stop working so hard that you have no energy to do anything other than min wage slave labour. Your work place does not give a poo poo about you - Yeah, don't slack off and smoke weed every shift but dude, stop working yourself to death. If you're too tired and stressed you can't even get proper job searching done, so you're really burning yourself at both ends of the wick. I hope things get better soon for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Aculard posted:

I've been rooting for you a lot earlier in the thread, but jesus christ man, poo poo or get off the pot. Your work place will never give you a raise. At this point, it'd be better for you to stop working so hard that you have no energy to do anything other than min wage slave labour. Your work place does not give a poo poo about you - Yeah, don't slack off and smoke weed every shift but dude, stop working yourself to death. If you're too tired and stressed you can't even get proper job searching done, so you're really burning yourself at both ends of the wick. I hope things get better soon for you.

Remember that bit in Office Space where he basically goes, "the only motivation I have for working harder is not being lectured by my bosses"? It's kind of the same thing. Whether they can fire you or not is fairly-irrelevant, it's just having to deal with constant bitching from higher-ups.