Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
miscellaneous14 will be my official in-thread representative from now on. Any basic questions can be directed to them. ;)

But yeah, that's exactly it. There's only 3 of us- store manager and two shift supervisors. The store manager is a snake, just like the DM, but the other supervisor is a saint and I don't want to make her suffer for me. She knows how I feel about the job. Honestly, when I told her, I thought I'd be out of there a lot sooner than this..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
Ah I love public holidays. 2.5x pay! 5 hours today, so that's ~$220! Not bad! If only I got more of them.

Also I've been searching for jobs, got some interviews, but so far have turned up nothing. Oh well. I'll keep on searching. I really want an office job 9-5, but they are hard to come by. If any of you need someone in the office 9-5 and you live in Melbourne, Australia, let me know. :)

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Invis posted:

Ah I love public holidays. 2.5x pay! 5 hours today, so that's ~$220! Not bad! If only I got more of them.

Also I've been searching for jobs, got some interviews, but so far have turned up nothing. Oh well. I'll keep on searching. I really want an office job 9-5, but they are hard to come by. If any of you need someone in the office 9-5 and you live in Melbourne, Australia, let me know. :)

Holy crap, that's almost what I make in a week! :psyduck:

What do you get an hour, and what does that translate into real (i.e., American)(kidding) money?

Edit: And what holiday is this?

supernothing
May 18, 2004
Buy me a custom title
I've been reading your story, TShields, and as a fellow retail shift supervisor, I feel for you, brother. The pay is lovely, and I want to get married and start a family but its impossible to escape this lovely job.

I work for an auto parts store, and we are forced daily to rip off customers, lie to them, and full timers regularly have their hours cut. I am making $10.80 an hour, and even though the raises weren't TOO bad for retail at first (0.35 an hour), our district manager changed and this clown gave me not only $0.10 this year after getting the 0.35 my first two years there, but transferred me to a store 3 times further away than my old one, but I'm also making less due to the horrible raise and gas.

As far as ripping people off goes, I was told by the store manager about little packets of grease and other stuff they are forcing us to sell that I should "just ring the packets up because the customer will never notice anyway", and when the customer does notice, I look like a complete rear end, so I don't do that anymore, and I get wrote up about once a week.

Also, apparently, according to one of my CSR's, the store manager told him that this is "nothing but a big hustle. we ain't doing nothing but hustling these people." So the guy is apparently hustling these people, for 7 loving 50 an hour.

I wish I could get out of this place so bad. I don't have a degree like TShields does, but isn't there something I can do?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

TShields posted:

What do you get an hour, and what does that translate into real (i.e., American)(kidding) money?

The holiday is the Easter weekend, I'm pretty sure. Not sure if the whole weekend is counted as a public holiday here in WA, though.
Also while our dollar is currently doing pretty drat well against the American, things cost a bit more. Average wage in retail can range between $11 and $25 depending on if you're fulltime, part time or casual, what kind of job you're doing and how old you are (I earned $10 per hour when I was 16 years old and working at Coles).

Invis: I feel for you mate, I only got my current office job because of my friend who already works there - the first time I applied I got rejected because 300 other, more qualified, people applied.

froglet fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 23, 2011

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Good Friday and Easter Sunday basically mean I have to work at least two, if not three ten-hour shifts this weekend, with no additional pay for the workload. Yeah, there's the whole $9.50 an hour thing, but there's still never a point where I'm not working my rear end off during shifts.

At a rough average, I make around six to seven hundred a month, possibly less, given how little I actually work right now. Imagine having your work hours condensed to about double the work an hour, but at 1.5 the pay.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Oh, yeah.. I kinda forget about holidays unless they involve me having to buy something for someone. I've literally worked every holiday since I started this job- July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve/Day, New Years... We're always open.

Edit: VVV Twice what I do, and you're not even management. That's.. really loving special. :suicide:

TShields fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 23, 2011

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
TShields: It's Easter Saturday! I make $17.46 an hour (AUD) which translates into $18.21 USD. I'm a Sales Assistant/Cashier at a major Australian retail chain.

throwrocks
May 6, 2007
Tshields I have been reading through this thread and have read about what your going through and when I see you post I cross my fingers it's a post about you finding a new job!

You have a degree, and I know that you want to get out of retail...but with your experience have you thought about applying to a large department store? With a degree and with some background retail experience it's not unreasonable to make 12-15 / hr as an assistant sales manager or 40k + salaried as a sales manager. 10/hr is what most associates pull in at these stores, part time or full time.

Granted it's still the same bullshit retail game...but at a much higher pay.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

TShields posted:

Wait, you make $220 a week? I make that in about half a day. Jesus, man. :frogout:

Granted, I live in SF (and am not in retail - though I am doing work that is 100% unrelated to my degree, like you), but still.

If you are interested in computers and don't mind working a lovely shift (many of these are overnight/require holidays/both edit looks like that wouldn't be a problem), look around for technology companies that have an open NOC position - those generally don't require much more than a pulse, knowledge of how to move a mouse, and the ability to show up on time. It's a good entry level position with a lot of advancement potential if you're motivated and eager to learn. If you have any local ISPs, they are probably almost always hiring a NOC person.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

My paycheck for last week came in at $257 after taxes and insurance. That was for about 36 hours of work or so.

And you guys don't understand- Every week I apply for almost anything I'm qualified for in the first 15-20 pages of the Indeed.com email I get every few days. That's about an hour/hour and a half a day before or after work. In the past month or so, just what I can remember off the top of my head- basic administrative positions, mail room, clerical, entry level U-Haul/public storage management, 3 different shifts of specimen accessioners for LabCorp, entry-level tech support for a half dozen companies, data entry, loving Waste Management garbage truck dispatcher for two different shifts, a slew of local government jobs, multiple bank teller positions for various branches/companies, and yes, I've applied at Best Buy and Target on multiple occasions. My resume is right there- other than moving from lovely retail job to lovely retail job, I look loving fantastic on paper, and it's not like I'm asking for much. I never get contacted back. Ever. When I call and inquire about a job (assuming they have someone listed to inquire to), I'm always told that they'll have to get back to me, then nothing. I'm not annoying on the phone- people tell me my voice is so deep and soothing that I should be a radio DJ, but they want loving experience too. I've networked, I've called in every favor I have. My credit is solid- in the low to mid 700's. My background check is squeaky clean. There is no loving reason that this should be so hard..

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

TShields posted:

My paycheck for last week came in at $257 after taxes and insurance. That was for about 36 hours of work or so.

And you guys don't understand- Every week I apply for almost anything I'm qualified for in the first 15-20 pages of the Indeed.com email I get every few days. That's about an hour/hour and a half a day before or after work. In the past month or so, just what I can remember off the top of my head- basic administrative positions, mail room, clerical, entry level U-Haul/public storage management, 3 different shifts of specimen accessioners for LabCorp, entry-level tech support for a half dozen companies, data entry, loving Waste Management garbage truck dispatcher for two different shifts, a slew of local government jobs, multiple bank teller positions for various branches/companies, and yes, I've applied at Best Buy and Target on multiple occasions. My resume is right there- other than moving from lovely retail job to lovely retail job, I look loving fantastic on paper, and it's not like I'm asking for much. I never get contacted back. Ever. When I call and inquire about a job (assuming they have someone listed to inquire to), I'm always told that they'll have to get back to me, then nothing. I'm not annoying on the phone- people tell me my voice is so deep and soothing that I should be a radio DJ, but they want loving experience too. I've networked, I've called in every favor I have. My credit is solid- in the low to mid 700's. My background check is squeaky clean. There is no loving reason that this should be so hard..

You mentioned that you worked at RadioShack - have you tried applying to a cell phone carrier? Yeah, it's sales, but the pay is a LOT better and, at least with T-Mobile, the benefits ROCK compared to what I'm used to at normal lovely retail jobs.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

You mentioned that you worked at RadioShack - have you tried applying to a cell phone carrier? Yeah, it's sales, but the pay is a LOT better and, at least with T-Mobile, the benefits ROCK compared to what I'm used to at normal lovely retail jobs.

I left RadioShack for Sprint, right after the first major signs of the recession starting in 2009. I had been a "Manager-in-Training", which meant I was a key holder who got paid more, assisted with district inventories/resets, and had to attend training sessions. But after the first big drop in sales, they cut the training program from 12 of us to 3 "managers-in-waiting". I was not one of the 3. I kept my job as a full-time key holder, but they dropped my pay by $1.50 an hour. At the time, it seemed like a good idea to jump ship for Sprint. Since I'm obviously the unluckiest person on the face of the planet, Sprint over-hired and I was jobless 2 months later. I left a full time position for 2 months of Sprint training, then unemployment. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

My problem with sales is that it's all so slimy- trying to upsell poo poo people don't need, tack on pointless extended warranties, etc. I tell people how it is at CVS, and I feel better for it. We get in these HORRIBLE "Craig" brand laptops and tablets, and whenever people who look like they should know better want to see them, I let them know that every single one we've sold has come back in less than a week. No skin off my nose- I don't make a penny more for selling those stupid things.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Has anyone here worked for Aldi before? The one near me is hiring, so I might drop in an application. Full time, afternoons only from what I heard.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

TShields posted:

And you guys don't understand- Every week I apply for almost anything I'm qualified for in the first 15-20 pages of the Indeed.com email I get every few days.

You're not going to get jobs by browsing the newspaper, which is basically the equivalent of this. I don't know a single person that ever has.

What I would recommend that you do is slow down and don't blast your resume out to everyone you can think of. You're worth more than just applying to any job 'to get another job'.

Take some time to think about what you'd want to do. Refactor your resume to stand out for those types of jobs. Then, use a domain-specific search tool (like Dice for IT) to find postings. Write a succinct, clear cover letter that expresses your enthusiasm and eagerness, and don't just bomb your resume out. I can tell a mass-sent resume every time and I just ignore them all when doing hiring unless the person is a total superstar, and not to sound blunt, but your resume does not indicate you are a superstar.

You should tailor your resume and cover letter for each job, which suggests you should not be applying for hundreds of jobs at a time. Narrow down what you want -- you can survive on what you're making now, so spend the time to try going for quality, not quantity. I've done a fair bit of hiring and I will almost always contact someone who I can tell took the time to customize their cover letter or tweak their resume to match the posted requirements -- in fact, I can't think of a time I've not called someone that has done those things. It's much more rare than you'd think.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

TShields posted:

Edit: VVV Twice what I do, and you're not even management. That's.. really loving special. :suicide:

Yeah, but as said before, things are MUCH more expensive in Australia.

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
I've actually just moved (temporarily) from the US to Australia, and started my first retail job.

I worked for the government back in the US. My background is in the outdoors and such, so I snagged a job at an outdoor shop here to get some cash together on a working holiday. It's going pretty okay, and I attribute that to three things.

One, it's not a chain. The owner's always on site and happy to intervene. No issues with DMs or Corporate or any of those scary terms.

Two, the pay's great. I worked professionally for state/local governments in the US. I'm making more as a shop assistant down here, and it's not all just cost-of-living adjustments. My expenses aren't that much more (I'm renting with a local and I live pretty cheaply) than they were in the US. I'm socking aside money pretty well. This may have something to do with WA's mineral boom, though, so who knows how long it will last.

Three, and this is the big one: It's temporary. By necessity. I'm on a visa - I know I'll be moving on, and be forced to move on, in the next couple of months. I'm not staring down the barrel of a retail career. It's a job so I can keep vacationing.

But yeah, still, gently caress people who can't put poo poo back onto hangers. Don't they realize someone's gotta pick up after them?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

TShields posted:

Any regular of this thread can tell you all about me. I want to do anything- ANYTHING- that will pay me more than I'm making now and isn't retail (given), sales (I hate pressuring people into buying more than they need/can afford, which is all sales is these days), custodial (meh), or maintenance/construction (bad shoulder and I'm out of shape, but I'm actively dieting/exercising... still no desire to work in North Carolina heat/humidity during the summer. Oh, and little to no related experience or skills. I don't like working in my own yard. I'll be damned if I'm going to work in someone else's). I search daily on Indeed.com, but I do have CareerBuilder and Monster accounts that haven't really netted me anything worthwhile.

:words:
I didn't ask what you were willing to do, I asked what you wanted to do.

If your only objective is 'anything else', then you can't really plan towards going in any particular direction, because you haven't even picked a direction yet.

One thing I'll say about your resume: It's a tad generic. CV/resumes should be written and targeted towards the industry you're applying for, with skills being highlighted towards the type of positions you're applying for. Back when I was straddling the retail/bar work/IT line, I had multiple versions of my CV, each one written to highlight my skills in each of these fields.

Until you pick a direction to head in though, writing a resume/CV for your field might be a little difficult, so I'd probably start by having a long hard think about what you actually want to do, beyond just 'getting out of retail'.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010

TShields posted:

I hate to mention this but I also get 15% extra per hour that I work above my contracted amount per week. For example, I'm only contracted to work 9 hours a week, so if I work 12 hours I get 9 hours pay at my normal rate and 3 at the 15% extra rate. Sundays are 50% extra. I also get sick leave, paid leave and superannuation.

To the Aldi guy: I haven't worked there but I've heard the pay is nice ($25/hr). I say go for it. Actually there's an Aldi near me, maybe I'll see if they're hiring too...

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

TSheilds, probably a redundant point here but have you tried applying at other retail outlets?

Sure its not what you want to do long term, but clearly just from reading this thread some retail is more lovely than others and you seem to have got the wrong end of the poo poo stick.

Worst case, you gain nothing you lose nothing, best case you get into somewhere they pays more and offers a decent chance of promotion to an actual management position with an actual paycheck.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

TShields posted:

Tales of employment woe

I'd suggest subbing for teachers, but you're in Wake, and from what I hear from my wife and people from my cohort when I was doing the teaching thing, it's a drat nightmare. Orange county is better, but then you'd be looking at an awful commute.

Have you thought about applying for things that you might tangentially be qualified for? Writing/editing, that kind of thing? Or applying at a temp agency? Temping might not bear fruit right away, but if you're not a moron, you should be able to get on somebody's shortlist at the agency. After I got laid off about a year ago, it took them a couple of months to match me up, but they were in touch with me a few times. I think I applied with Ablest Staffing. Even if it pays the same, though, it'll be a change of scene for you, which it sounds like you need.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I've tossed around the idea of a temp agency, but I'd lose my insurance, and I can't do that.

And, for the record- if they didn't want people to apply online, then why put the job posting online? I know I can't use my job as the foil for everything else, but we don't have paper applications, and we don't even speak to people who walk through the door to apply. We tell them it's all online and wave them off and go back to whatever soul-crushing exercise in futility they have us toiling away at that day.

I don't "want" to anything. I "wanted" to teach. It was a loving nightmare, and to be quite frank, I was pretty pathetic at it. After that, I "wanted" to kill myself.

I could do the writing/editing thing, but I have no real, concrete background in it other than the dozens of "A" papers I've written for history classes. I have also applied to a couple local newspaper jobs for basic writing positions, like obits and little "X community had a bake sale last week!" type stuff. No calls on that one either. And yeah, it is a very generic resume. I didn't build it. Someone built it about me from one of my old resumes, and it's rather nice. I wouldn't be applying to anything and everything if I wasn't desperate. I wanted out before the new year. That was my goal. I took the time, talked to people, had a couple interviews pre-Jan 1st. Then my new goal was "out by Feb!".. then "out by March!".. Now it's nearly May. I'll be married in September, and I really don't want to be at CVS by then.

The problem is, for every "me" looking for basic, entry level work, there's a thousand other people who are out of work or looking to move out of their current positions who actually have experience in the dozens of various fields I'm applying for. Look at a job listings for my area- zip code 27545. Everyone wants experience that I just don't have.

Edit: Hey, the UHaul management team thing sent me an e-mail this morning and said that they "wanted to know more about me" and linked me to another application/test/references site. It's a good start, at least...

TShields fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 23, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Keep on trucking.

When looking at things to apply for, just go whole hog, ask 1 question and 1 question only, is this going to be worse than my current job\situation? If you answer no or about the same, just apply, who knows what the hell you might end up doing! You might find a new passion!

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Well, I just quit GameStop today. gently caress that company.

We've had a new temporary manager the last few weeks, and no one likes the guy. He's one of those "I want to see that fire/woah Bundy" corporate boot lickers that no one can stand, but, he asked to see us perform, so we did. Today, I go in to open, and he's there. "Great", I think. After a few minutes, he says that he wants to speak frank with me, and starts going into how I'm not working hard enough and that I'm not doing what needs to be done, I don't walk around and greet customers and I don't process the day's shipments. I call him out, asking "So which is it? If I'm helping customers, and my numbers reflect that, I can't do shipments. Which is it?" He deflects with the standard non-answer of "everyone knows what needs to be done" and then starts in that I go to the bathroom too much. Now, I have stomach problems. Everyone in the store knows this. My old roommate had IBS, and he said that based on my symptoms I probably have it too. None of my coworkers say anything, because they know it can't be helped. This guy is basically suggesting that I'm just trying to duck work, and that I need to go to a doctor because he's "just concerned about my health". That was my breaking point. I said "You know what man, that is really loving insulting." He then says that everyone is going to need be taught how to do things right, and such, and I just thought, gently caress this.

So I said that. "gently caress this", pulled out my keys, threw them across the store and started to walk out. He goes "So what's this? Gimme something, you gotta gimme something." I replied "Do yourself a favor, and don't put me on the loving schedule anymore".

I called all my coworkers and told them what went down, and the assistant manager basically told me that he's going to tell everyone to cancel their preorders, and he's calling our regulars to tell them to cancel theirs as well. We're all friends outside of work, so that store is going to be very interesting to see this week.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Bisty Q. posted:

You're not going to get jobs by browsing the newspaper, which is basically the equivalent of this. I don't know a single person that ever has.
You raise a point, but I would say this applies specifically to entry-level jobs. If you're even a little bit experienced (let's say 1-2 years in any industry) you will get much better results by "browsing the newspaper". I have definitely gotten (about five, I think) interviews from Indeed.com/careerbuilder/monster, and while I personally haven't received any offers, I can name four people that have, within the last two years (Great Recession talk here). I've also received "scouting" interviews for two positions off Monster within the last 3 months - direct from hiring managers, not temp agencies/recruiters, but I have industry-specific experience (not much, 2-3 years depending on how you count it). I didn't get offers for either position, and one was basically just my job at a different company, but I'm just saying it's not useless.

I agree with the advice of TShields targeting a specific industry, forming a resume that suits that industry, and going for entry-level jobs in that. This will result in much better-written cover letters. While firing off your resume to every online job app will waste your time and get you nowhere, I wouldn't say it's a waste of time to check Indeed even if you're looking for an entry-level job.

Also you guys are being a little hard on him for having difficulty deciding finding direction. The "I picked the 'wrong' major and don't know what the gently caress to do/what I want to do" situation is much more prevalent among young people than society would have you think. The guy busts his rear end for slave wages for quite possibly the worst paying and most humiliating industry in this country (the people packing bottles into boxes on our production line get paid $10-12$/hr and don't have to clean bathrooms, upsell worthless junk, or take abuse from stupid customers, although their work is probably more repetitive). It is very easy to become overloaded with stress and depression in such a difficult situation. At least he's being independent trying to make it on his own instead of sitting in his parent's basement mooching food/rent, being depressed and whining about how useless his useless degree is.

seacat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 23, 2011

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
"Hey, even though you weren't scheduled for a volume today (basically an invariably 10+ hour shift), some people didn't come in, and even though we already cut someone who was scheduled a half-hour before you, now we need you to stay another two hours"

The scheduling at this place is so completely hosed. If the shift is a nightmare, you're likely to stay extra hours, but if it's easy, you'll be sent home after 2 hours or less. I really wish corporate weren't goddamn cheapskates to where they can't hire an appropriate level of staff and have hard-hours instead of coming in with absolutely no clue of how long you'll need to stay. I just want a moderately-normal work schedule, that's all.

I actually miss AMC. :gonk:

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
TShields, get a job at a major grocery chain. Even if you have to start as a bagger to get your foot in the door, you'll be able to move up into a better position soon enough.

There are jobs in retail that don't require having to deal with customers, such as book keeping, secretary, and receiver. It may take some time to get these positions, but ya gotta work for them. If you don't like your current position, chances are you can switch positions. If you work for a BIG grocery company, there's a good chance you can have the option to transfer to stores closer to you should you move. Most grocery stores I know of top out at about $13/hr for non-management positions. There are some bone-head management positions that pay more if you're willing to deal with some blockhead employees.

I realize you want totally out of the business, but if things should continue to not go your way for a while, at least you'll be working towards something that will pay off better in time.

I think miscellaneous14 should take this advice too while you try to get out of retail. Your job sounds like it sucks rear end thrice as bad as mine.

Invis, how many holidays are there where you get paid 2.5? That's crazy. I get 1.5 if I work Thanksgiving, New Years, Independence Day, and Christmas. Not Easter :( like you apparently. On the bright side, I get paid 1.5 every Sunday I work. Unfortunately I'm one employee out of eight people in my department that gets scheduled off every Sunday :( .

Invis
Apr 26, 2010

ijii posted:

Invis, how many holidays are there where you get paid 2.5? That's crazy. I get 1.5 if I work Thanksgiving, New Years, Independence Day, and Christmas. Not Easter :( like you apparently. On the bright side, I get paid 1.5 every Sunday I work. Unfortunately I'm one employee out of eight people in my department that gets scheduled off every Sunday :( .

Every public holiday that we have here in Melbourne Australia will net me 2.5x pay at my current job. It's pretty sweet. That's why I want to work every time one rolls around.

In other news, my Merchandise Manager is being transferred to another store, which is a shame. He was really good, and he was my only reference for new jobs. I guess I'll just have to ask the Store Manager now. Since my time at this job (~2 years) I've seen 20+ people transfer/quit/fired, which is heaps considering we only have about 15 people employed at any one time.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

ijii posted:

TShields, get a job at a major grocery chain. Even if you have to start as a bagger to get your foot in the door, you'll be able to move up into a better position soon enough.

You guys realize I'm nearly 30, right? No offence to any grocery-baggers out there, but after all my wasted years of school, if I ended up leaving a management position anywhere to bag groceries to make ends meet, I will chug Drano and end it all.

The CUSTOMERS are not the issue here. I LIKE some of the customers. I bitch about the lovely ones, of course, but some are very pleasant, even fun to talk to. The ISSUE is that I bust my rear end doing everything else it takes to maintain this lovely excuse for a store and get absolutely no thanks for it, and abysmal pay to boot! The ISSUE is that I only took this loving job because I was promised an assistant manager promotion in 10 months. I should have been making $35k by now. This was supposed to be TEMPORARY. But the loving rear end monkey of a DM decided during my 7th month that "oh, who needs salaried assistant managers that we have to pay more when we can get a legion of poorly paid shift supervisors to do the same work for less!" No more promotion for good ol' TShields! But did my manager tell me? Oh, no- it was the pharmacist who came to tell me how sorry he was and how much he wanted me to get the promotion. I had no idea what he was talking about. Officially, I still haven't been "told". But I know. The manager knows I know, and I know he knows I know. But he's too much of a prick to tell me to my face that I've wasted the past year at this loving store.

And you know the worst of it? During my first month, my buddy came to me and said "Hey, there's a position in my department, $12 an hour, you want it?" And I thought to myself- "Hmm, I can go from $9.25 to $12 now... but when I get promoted in a few months, I'll be making a lot more than that!" And I turned him down. I TURNED HIM DOWN. Another friend took the job. He's been promoted. Making $28k now. I should be making $28k now. It's not a lot. I realize that. But it's more than twice what I'm making..

When does the hurting stop?

Edit: I hate my life.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

TShields, you're a pussy. I can barely read this thread anymore.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

The General posted:

TShields, you're a pussy. I can barely read this thread anymore.

Yep. That's about the size of it.

I think I'm done here.. Goodnight and good luck.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

TShields posted:

Yep. That's about the size of it.

I think I'm done here.. Goodnight and good luck.

Ugh. I've been keeping a couple of fingers crossed for you ever since I started reading this thread, but you're sounding more and more like my loser ex-housemate by the day. He didn't have a job at all, but he only held out for his ideal job and would never consider suggestions to try for something more realistic.

You obviously can't stand your job, and yeah it does sound very much like absolute hell. But you counter every decent suggestion from people on here with "NO WAY I'D RATHER KILL MYSELF" and it's getting really old.

It's time to rethink your "no retail, no way" position. You've got plenty of experience to help get you a different retail job, and there are better ones out there. Since you're having no luck with something else, it's a sensible option to at least get in somewhere where you're making a bit more money or working a few less hours so you can do more towards what you really want.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

TShields posted:

You guys realize I'm nearly 30, right? No offence to any grocery-baggers out there, but after all my wasted years of school, if I ended up leaving a management position anywhere to bag groceries to make ends meet, I will chug Drano and end it all.

No, try the hot or cold deli. Seriously. It's a good inbetween job, and with the work ethic you have you won't be so burnt out. You usually get to close earlier than the store, don't have to take poo poo from the other managers, and the customers are great. I might actually go in and ask for my old job back at the deli I used to work for one town over (even though I burnt some bridges getting switched onto over night cash).

You really do need to stop saying things like "I'd rather kill myself/die!" That's exactly how you feel right now, working the job you're in. It might be better just to cut your hours down and get a job in deli/cash/whatever else. You might be 30 but that's no excuse for not doing what gets you in a better spot, both mentally and financially. You're sinking and refusing to swim.

Like I said earlier, poo poo or get off the pot, man.

That aside, does anyone have advice they could give me?

Years ago, probably in 2006-2007, I worked under the sweetest manager ever in the hot/cold deli, and I switched to overnight cash due to money reasons. I got fired because one night I couldn't come in due to prepping for an exam/text (I worked thurs-mon morning). The deli manager should be the same woman, since she's a lifelong employee, but would being fired from cash years ago prevent me from being hired by her again? It is a franchise type grocery store, but I enjoyed it and I need a job this fall.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Aculard posted:

Years ago, probably in 2006-2007, I worked under the sweetest manager ever in the hot/cold deli, and I switched to overnight cash due to money reasons. I got fired because one night I couldn't come in due to prepping for an exam/text (I worked thurs-mon morning). The deli manager should be the same woman, since she's a lifelong employee, but would being fired from cash years ago prevent me from being hired by her again? It is a franchise type grocery store, but I enjoyed it and I need a job this fall.
Give it a go; if I can get hired at a store I got caught shoplifting from when I was 12, back when I was younger and stupider, anything is possible :P

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Aculard posted:

Give it a shot - just make sure you know what to say if they bring it up in an interview. Answers indicating you learned a lot from the experience and have since put it behind you tend to go down well.

TShields, I really wish you the best of luck. :smith:

froglet fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 24, 2011

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
TShields, don't give up. It's not you and I hate to be the person that complains about :byodood:this economy :byodood:, but pretty much every company is cutting back on employment and pay. I have a bachelor and an associates degree and work the same job you do for the same pay. Most of the people that graduated with me are working at Walmart or other similar crappy jobs. The only time I've ever found a job was when the company was in such desperate need they would hire anyone with a pulse, but these places usually have a high turnover rate for a reason. My first job I had out of school, I was with for over two years and actually got a reduction in pay to minimum wage because they couldn't afford to keep us anymore.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

TShields posted:

What's worse? Almost 30 in a poo poo-job that you hate, causes you mental anguish every moment of every day? Taking poo poo and not having a say about it? Or, almost 30, with a tolerable job in the meantime of looking for meaningful work?

I'm rooting for you man, but when you say "I'll do literally any job, except [laundry list of jobs, some of which you're actually specialized in]", you have to understand how that sounds.

We all know you're trying. I want you to pull ahead man, because if you can do it, it gives my terrible situation a glimmer of hope.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
My DM fired me today with a week to go before I start at T-Mobile :v:

edit:

Rohaq posted:

Did they give you a reason? Not a bad result, in any case :)

He called me when I was at work this morning and asked if I had reconsidered quitting (I had put my 2 weeks in on Monday), and I told him that I was not going to reconsider quitting. His next words were, "Go home, you're fired." I hung up, threw my co-worker my keys to the store, and left. Went next door to CVS, bought a case of beer, and now I am at home, at 12 PM on a Sunday drinking beer in my underwear :smug:

A COMPUTER GUY fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 24, 2011

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

My DM fired me today with a week to go before I start at T-Mobile :v:
Did they give you a reason? Not a bad result, in any case :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
As you were fired for no reason, can you now claim unemployment for the 1 week just to piss him off further? Because, if so, I really think you should. :)