Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Good news!

My boyfriend is the one who found out that his bar exam application had gotten lost in the mail. Specifically, found out about it 7 days after the final deadline.

He submitted a waiver request to the TX law review board last week, and today was informed that his request had been approved. He'll be taking the exam in July (instead of next February). They told him he had submitted good evidence.

He's ecstatic and feeling incredibly fortunate. We realize it very easily could have turned out the other way.

Thank you all for your advice and comments.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Seluin posted:

Good news!

My boyfriend is the one who found out that his bar exam application had gotten lost in the mail. Specifically, found out about it 7 days after the final deadline.

He submitted a waiver request to the TX law review board last week, and today was informed that his request had been approved. He'll be taking the exam in July (instead of next February). They told him he had submitted good evidence.

He's ecstatic and feeling incredibly fortunate. We realize it very easily could have turned out the other way.

Thank you all for your advice and comments.

Seems to me that you just said your boyfriend is going to take the bar and try to be a lawyer... are you sure this is good news?

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Questionable! But he has a few jobs lined up, so we'll see.

IANAL
Apr 18, 2008

FUSC

Seluin posted:

The glut of bodies willing to be employed is cutting into starting salaries like knives into warm butter. Median starting incomes (for all legal J.D. employment, not some bullshit only includes-4-giant-firms-who-hire-2-assholes-a-year-bullshit starting salary calculation) are horrific in Illinois at the moment. Medium sized firms are offering in the 40's and 50's to starting attorneys. There's also shitloads of competition to get in the door and be heard, it's ludicrous.

I weep for our profession. Not because we should be paid asinine amounts of money, but rather because the cost of entry and school is going to be increasing exponentially while salaries drop. Putting us all in the position we are in!

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Seluin posted:

I wouldn't say its exactly normal to have "a few jobs lined up" this late in the hiring process... do those jobs involve law? Or by "lined up" do you mean "to apply to?"

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

ewr2870 posted:

Anecdotally, a 30% improvement in EIP hiring for the Class of 2012 as compared to the class of 2011 would not surprise me. What did they claim the percentage of 2011 students receiving jobs from EIP to be?

EIP wasn't discussed, unfortunately, just increased 2L employment among the top 100 private sector firms. Those positions have increased 30% this summer, and HLS' market-share of those positions has also about doubled since 2007.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Seluin posted:

He took er jerbs!

IANAL
Apr 18, 2008

FUSC

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

EIP wasn't discussed, unfortunately, just increased 2L employment among the top 100 private sector firms. Those positions have increased 30% this summer, and HLS' market-share of those positions has also about doubled since 2007.

It's frustrating because the numbers can be manipulated so easily to paint whatever picture the schools want.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

IANAL posted:

It's frustrating because the numbers can be manipulated so easily to paint whatever picture the schools want.

yeah, that's definitely the feeling I got. the numbers they provided weren't their own and were cited from some various publication on the legal market, so that's a plus, but again, 2011 numbers weren't provided, only a claim of a 30% increase in the number of 2L summer jobs among the top 100 firms.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

yeah, that's definitely the feeling I got. the numbers they provided weren't their own and were cited from some various publication on the legal market, so that's a plus, but again, 2011 numbers weren't provided, only a claim of a 30% increase in the number of 2L summer jobs among the top 100 firms.

I have a feeling that the "30% increase in 2L jobs" is an increase in unpaid internships at State offices that desperately try to find warm bodies to fill spots their legislatures cut, as opposed to top 100 firms.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Elotana posted:

Looks like I get to move to New Orleans full time to work on the oil spill MDL.

Now instead of dying alone I will die in a room with thirty other doc review attorneys.

Hit me up when you get here if you want to get lunch. Where are you staying/working?

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Interested. Just took a $40k paycut thanks to the FY11 budget deal, so I'm looking to get the gently caress out of examining.
What's this about pay cuts? Nobody in my office got a cut. Did you have some kind of bonus overtime funding or something?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
This is for my brothers and sisters in the family law world.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11847614/family-law

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

echopapa posted:

This is for my brothers and sisters in the family law world.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11847614/family-law

"How often should your kids see your husband?"

"Never. He is a bad dad and he don't play with them or nothing."

That sums up the attitudes of the parties (on both sides) of every family law case with kids I ever did.

Seriously, gently caress family law.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Hit me up when you get here if you want to get lunch. Where are you staying/working?
I was staying at the Windsor Court, but the partners quickly tired of those expenses and set me up an apartment in the warehouse district starting May. I'm working for the plaintiffs in the CBD.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

prussian advisor posted:

Wait, what? Did that apply to everyone who does that? How does that work?

No more overtime

10-8 posted:

What's this about pay cuts? Nobody in my office got a cut. Did you have some kind of bonus overtime funding or something?

ayup

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

sigmachiev posted:

E: btw I'm jealous your peninsula status. I'm giving serious thought to getting the gently caress out of Berkland and commuting.

I have a spare room and bathroom, and I'm barely home. Call me. ;-*

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
Anyone have any miracles regarding keeping objections on RFAs that are late? New-ish secretary didn't calendar OR give hard copies of some RFAs to me (paralegal) and now my attorney is ANGRY. Called OPC and he's a pretty a cool dude and isn't going to file a motion as long as we respond (these were due in Feb) but he obviously stated that we waived objections. Options? Thoughts? Help?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

BigHead posted:

I have a feeling that the "30% increase in 2L jobs" is an increase in unpaid internships at State offices that desperately try to find warm bodies to fill spots their legislatures cut, as opposed to top 100 firms.

No, this was specifically in the top 100 firms and numbers from the OCS (private sector), not OPIA (public sector). The OCS would not be giving those numbers, as those are the domain of the OPIA. They claimed, specifically, a 30% increase in 2L summer positions among the top 100 private sector firms.

don't get me wrong they could be bogus but they're not that sort of bogus. and even if they were, at least HLS pays its students to do summer public interest, so that's nice. I wish I had better information from OPIA, but their panel was the last of the ASW, so everyone had mentally and/or physically checked out by then.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

mrtoodles posted:

Oh good idea.

My firm is hiring as well. IP litigators, virtually all levels of experience. Business is booming. Come work for a mix of household names and crazy-assed Korean companies you've never heard of. Silicon Valley... woowoo.

I will take you to an amazing dinner and pimp out your office with part of the $10k they give me.

Are they looking just at people still within firms, or would there be some hope for someone who went in-house and did work on portfolio strategy (lots of potential claim constructions and looking for design-around issues, reviews of validity, assessment of competitors) but hasn't done day to day motion practice/discovery BS in a bit over a year?

And yes I'm a glutton for punishment that would consider going back to a firm.

If you don't want to answer in the thread, I lack PMs but can check throwawaymn at gmail

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

OptimistPrime posted:

If you don't want to answer in the thread, I lack PMs but can check throwawaymn at gmail

E-mailed. Shhhhh don't give away my secret identity.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

No, this was specifically in the top 100 firms and numbers from the OCS (private sector), not OPIA (public sector). The OCS would not be giving those numbers, as those are the domain of the OPIA. They claimed, specifically, a 30% increase in 2L summer positions among the top 100 private sector firms.

don't get me wrong they could be bogus but they're not that sort of bogus. and even if they were, at least HLS pays its students to do summer public interest, so that's nice. I wish I had better information from OPIA, but their panel was the last of the ASW, so everyone had mentally and/or physically checked out by then.

Think like a lawyer. They define "private sector" however they want. Yes, there is an increase of 30% in "private sector" jobs.

For the purposes of the reference located in paragraph 6(c)(2), "private sector" is defined as "Ottowa-based retail jobs that pay more than 15 rubles per half-Smoot that relate to, and wholly encompass, duck hunting." If you meet me by the duck hunting, you get the job.

On an unrelated note, I request backup here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3404673&pagenumber=3

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 23, 2011

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

BigHead posted:

Think like a lawyer. They define "private sector" however they want. Yes, there is an increase of 30% in "private sector" jobs.

For the purposes of the reference located in paragraph 6(c)(2), "private sector" is defined as "Ottowa-based retail jobs that pay more than 15 rubles per half-Smoot that relate to, and wholly encompass, duck hunting." If you meet me by the duck hunting, you get the job.

On an unrelated noted, I need backup here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3404673&pagenumber=3

man I really hope you're not being serious, I've stated three times it's a 30% increase in 2L summer jobs at top 100 firms. if you're going to make hilarious "think like a lawyer" effort jokes at least read what I'm writing here.

additionally 2Ls at HLS can do any legal public interest work they want and HLS will pay them to do it, an HLS student would never take a private sector non-law 2L summer job because HLS literally creates 2L public interest jobs out of their massive endowment. which, again, I already mentioned.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

man I really hope you're not being serious, I've stated three times it's a 30% increase in 2L summer jobs at top 100 firms. if you're going to make hilarious "think like a lawyer" effort jokes at least read what I'm writing here.

additionally 2Ls at HLS can do any legal public interest work they want and HLS will pay them to do it, an HLS student would never take a private sector non-law 2L summer job because HLS literally creates 2L public interest jobs out of their massive endowment. which, again, I already mentioned.

The ABA and 95% of law schools in this nation have literally dedicated themselves wholly to defrauding you for the last several years. What, on God's green earth, makes you think they are in the ball park of being reliable now that... what? You're there? You're in their midst? Those of us that have already graduated fell for it too. Don't worry, you're not alone. And you're not alone for grasping desperately at the prospect that you can be that one special snowflake in Rutgers/Alabama/Hamline that gets the real job that makes it all worth while.

Yes, HLS may be in a somewhat non-soul crushing situation. I admit I did a mere basic perusal of your post history, but it appears you have not entered yet or are a recent admitee. Trust me, you're not a snowflake and your school is not a snowflake (unless it's HYS).

I guarantee, I absolutely guarantee that the "30% increase in 2L jobs" is exactly the same bullshit as "$160k average starting salary with manageable debt!" Think outside the box. They only mention top 100 firms. Which measure do they use to define top 100? Top 100 as determined by the number of hirees? What comparison is the +30%? +30% from 2Ls from your school hired? +30% from all paid and unpaid/temp/doc review positions? +30% from every position from COO to cafeteria janitor? Is it only +30% of HYS 2Ls they hire?

"From top 100 firms" is really vague. "+30%" is really vague. They have decades of experience in tricking you because they are for-profit (unless they are HYS). Are you really going to believe them?

Even if the +30% hired comes from the HLS dean sworn on a bible as factually and implicitly and impliedly and everythingidly accurate, then it doesn't apply to a single school beyond HYS.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 23, 2011

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

BigHead posted:

Even if the +30% hired comes from Harvard's CSO, sworn on a bible as factually accurate, then it doesn't apply to any school but HYS.

But he has repeatedly said (including in the post you quoted) he was talking about HLS. I haven't seen anything indicating he was trying to say it applied to all schools.

Ignoring that though, I absolutely agreed that a 30% increase is pretty meaningless out of context. 30% of 10 vs 30% of 100 are very different things. A more useful stat is what percentage of students that wanted a summer position with a top 100 firm received offers to work at top 100 firms. Good luck getting anyone to give you real numbers about anything though.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 23, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Jaytan posted:

But he has repeatedly said (including in the post you quoted) he was talking about HLS. I haven't seen anything indicating he was trying to say it applied to all schools.

Ignoring that though, I absolutely agreed that a 30% increase is pretty meaningless out of context. 30% of 10 vs 30% of 100 are very different things. A more useful stat is what percentage of students that wanted a summer position with a top 100 firm received offers to work at top 100 firms. Good luck getting anyone to give you real numbers about anything though.

As of April 2011 he was "trying to get into" HYS (which we all were once :allears: ):

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

you go to HLS, right? I feel like I'm in a comparable situation with regard to getting in to HLS beyond my credentials. I'm guessing my worries are well founded? any elaboration would be helpful. I don't want to be eaten alive by grizzly bears

But that's not the point. My point is that if he goes to HLS, then great. If he's like everyone else who thinks they're a special snowflake and this year's entering class won't be too hosed up, then he needs straightening out. By a grizzly bear.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 23, 2011

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

BigHead posted:

As of April 2011 he was "trying to get into" HYS (which we all were once :allears: ):

But that's not the point. My point is that if he goes to HLS, then great. If he's like everyone else who thinks they're a special snowflake and this year's entering class won't be too hosed up, then he needs straightening out. By a grizzly bear.

No, I'm HLS class of 2014. I was admitted to HLS/SLS months ago, and I'm fairly certain I had said so, back then. No, I don't think I'm any special snowflake, but as you've repeatedly said, HYS are special snowflake schools. The market crashed, and I'm simply trying to root out whether claimed recovery among these schools and others in the T14 seem reliable.

Anyway, I am providing half-data because it's based off my memory from a few powerpoint slides. The "2L summer jobs among the top 100 firms" data wasn't HLS-derived, it was from a journal that studies the legal market strength, the name of which now escapes me. I'm also being somewhat cagey with exact numbers because I don't want to speak publicly on anything communicated in confidence. The context of the 30% increase is that 2L summer jobs in the top 100 firms went from about 9000 positions in 2007 to about 3000 in 2010. HLS' OCS purported to observed a 30% increase, so 3900 positions, for 2011. Of course, this would have to be an estimation, as HLS students would not be filling all these positions; it would merely be data extrapolated from more HLS 2Ls getting summer positions in these firms in 2011 compared to 2010/2009. Given that HYS couldn't fill 3900 positions themselves, such an increase would also have to be reflected at other schools, if it were real, so that's why I was asking if students at other schools seemed to be noticing a similar trend.

I do not think the market is going to be "recovered" by my 2L summer and I'm absolutely assuming my class will be as hosed as any other. I just like to have as much information as possible, when assessing future employment options.

My grizzly bear comment is a bit out of context, it's more in reference to the fact that HLS is made up of rather impressive Princeton/Dartmouth/Yale/Harvard undergrads, of which I'm not. I'm just someone that went to a terrible public undergrad, worked hard, and did well on standardized tests. The fact that I got where I am through hard work rather than being "special" via a prestigious undergrad attests to the fact that I don't intend to coast through law school, even if OCS happens to tell me everything is great and there's jobs for everybody.

topheryan fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 23, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I concede my incorrectness. I was mistaken about your admitted status.

That being said, everyone who isn't HYS shouldn't expect puppies and rainbows for employment numbers. Ever. +30% of zero is still zero.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 23, 2011

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I will refrain from commenting on my HLS OCI experience and instead post a comic

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The Anna C was a barge not a tug, HTH

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
Alright everyone I need some advice on whether to take the bar or not. I accepted a non-legal government job in the full-time competitive service in a self-funded agency that likely won't get cut. I plan on grinding it out for 10 years so my astronomical loans are forgiven in IBR.

However, I have been pressured by friends, family, TT law students, and shitlaw attorneys to take the bar now because I won't do it in the future. Is there any benefit to having an inactive license? Every federal attorney position I see posted demands 3 years of post-bar experience which I have no opportunity to obtain. What do you guys think?

Personally, I want to get out of this bullshit profession and enjoy job security and pension at some point.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Red Bean Juice posted:

I will refrain from commenting on my HLS OCI experience and instead post a comic

Haha, this would be a hilarious torts exam. I mean, the 1Ls would freak out, but it would be fun to watch.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Red Bean Juice posted:

That would be the coolest torts exam ever. (efb)

If you become a lawyer instead of a cartoonist, the world will become a sadder place.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

blar posted:

Alright everyone I need some advice on whether to take the bar or not. I accepted a non-legal government job in the full-time competitive service in a self-funded agency that likely won't get cut. I plan on grinding it out for 10 years so my astronomical loans are forgiven in IBR.

However, I have been pressured by friends, family, TT law students, and shitlaw attorneys to take the bar now because I won't do it in the future. Is there any benefit to having an inactive license? Every federal attorney position I see posted demands 3 years of post-bar experience which I have no opportunity to obtain. What do you guys think?

Personally, I want to get out of this bullshit profession and enjoy job security and pension at some point.

Don't take it, if you get fired from your government job and have to go find work as an attorney you can study/take the bar while you're looking and use that to explain the employment gap.

Also the people telling you to take the bar are probably the same people that encouraged you to go to law school so their advice is worthless anyway.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

Anyone have any miracles regarding keeping objections on RFAs that are late? New-ish secretary didn't calendar OR give hard copies of some RFAs to me (paralegal) and now my attorney is ANGRY. Called OPC and he's a pretty a cool dude and isn't going to file a motion as long as we respond (these were due in Feb) but he obviously stated that we waived objections. Options? Thoughts? Help?

It's totally unclear what you're talking about and you don't even say what state you're in. I'm assuming you mean Requests for Admissions but I'm not even sure if you mean you're late to respond or late to object to factually devoid responses.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
If I was a true glutton for punishment would I go for a PHD in History or go to Law School?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BigHead posted:

I guarantee, I absolutely guarantee that the "30% increase in 2L jobs" is exactly the same bullshit as "$160k average starting salary with manageable debt!" Think outside the box. They only mention top 100 firms. Which measure do they use to define top 100? Top 100 as determined by the number of hirees? What comparison is the +30%? +30% from 2Ls from your school hired? +30% from all paid and unpaid/temp/doc review positions? +30% from every position from COO to cafeteria janitor? Is it only +30% of HYS 2Ls they hire?

Vault 100, 30% higher 2L placement than last year, since it's 2Ls it's summer associate positions. Harvard does not need to lie about their job placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Incitatus posted:

If I was a true glutton for punishment would I go for a PHD in History or go to Law School?

Both