Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

kefkafloyd posted:

I would take the unpopular opinion that Mega Man X is actually the best Mega Man game ever made.

Even better than MM2.

MMX is a pretty perfect game. I honestly can't think of a single thing wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FoneBone posted:

I'm inclined to think that they're bluffing and the game will go ahead regardless,

I wouldn't bet on it. Capcom doesn't have much love for Mega Man, unfortunately.
I'm still waiting for ZX3.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Schwarzwald posted:

I wouldn't bet on it. Capcom doesn't have much love for Mega Man, unfortunately.
I'm still waiting for ZX3.

I would love a ZX3. I always enjoyed the form-changing gimmick in both. I just wish I could actually find my copies of ZX and ZX:A. :(

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SpazmasterX posted:

I would love a ZX3. I always enjoyed the form-changing gimmick in both. I just wish I could actually find my copies of ZX and ZX:A. :(

I think I saw a copy of ZXA at my local gamestop. Maybe you can order it from mine to ship to yours?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mister Roboto posted:

I think I saw a copy of ZXA at my local gamestop. Maybe you can order it from mine to ship to yours?

Oh I'm sure I wouldn't have too much issue getting replacement copies. I just know that I would find mine as soon as I did. :argh:

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Someone give this loving man a reward. That's the greatest "You called it." moment in history.

I was pretty sure that was their angle as soon as I read 'paid demo/beta test,' I just didn't think they'd just come out and say that or that quickly. :v:

It's most likely a little bit of what they said and also an attempt to harness the internet hype machine for 'save MML3' campaigns or whatever. For a game that's a sequel to an obscure series on a just-launched console and likely shot in the foot from the getgo by not having Mega Man be the front-and-center character in the demo. :haw:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm actually kinda optimistic about the sales of the beta. It's not like the beta is coming out a few years after the eShop has been out. Everyone's gonna update their 3DS firmware, checkout what's on the newly opened eShop and see a few Gameboy games, DSiWare, and the MML3 beta.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

kefkafloyd posted:

I would take the unpopular opinion that Mega Man X is actually the best Mega Man game ever made.

Even better than MM2.

This is true.

Also, MM3 is better than MM2 as well.

MMX1 is one of those very few games I fire up and blast through from time to time, and never get tired of.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

kefkafloyd posted:

Even better than MM2.

I agree with you, they really gave a poo poo when they made the first X game.

I guess it's a not so unpopular opinion.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

kefkafloyd posted:

Even better than MM2.

It's definitely the easiest, even if you don't go for the Hadoken. It just feels like a complete package, it didn't really do anything wrong, and it did a whole lot of right and innovated on the platforming gameplay we came to expect.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If they cancel Legends 3 after all this, I swear I will bitch about it on the internet for the rest of my life. I will build a machine to continue bitching about it even after I die. The machine will be a dancing robot monkey.

Jumpin' on the "MMX Rules" bandwagon. I've always been more partial to MMX3, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

MMX is a pretty perfect game. I honestly can't think of a single thing wrong with it.

The fact that you have to do Chill Penguin's stage to get a fundamental, game-defining powerup is a minor blemish, I think. If you started with some form of the dash then it would be perfect.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I think MMX was the perfect difficulty. Not too easy, not too hard. X2 and X3 were a bit more difficult.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gabriel Pope posted:

The fact that you have to do Chill Penguin's stage to get a fundamental, game-defining powerup is a minor blemish, I think. If you started with some form of the dash then it would be perfect.

Nah, there was nothing that really *required* the dash until after that, and besides the thing is literally impossible to miss. For contrast: X4 required the hoverboots/airdash upgrade to get past the first post-Maverick stage. Now, it's not like the upgrade is hard to get to by any means (compared to the insanity of trying to get the arm upgrade) but it's easy to miss, especially if you're stupid and young and playing on an ancient CRT TV that sort of fades towards the edges.

Also, add me to the "I will piss and moan forever if MML3 is cancelled" list. Some people earlier in the thread were talking about the first two being "only mediocre", but I STILL think they're really great action games. They also look slick as hell on a PS3 with the smoothing turned on.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ryoshi posted:

Nah, there was nothing that really *required* the dash until after that, and besides the thing is literally impossible to miss.

There's no part in X1 where you need the dash in order to progress, even in the Sigma stages. The same is true for X2.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

There's no part in X1 where you need the dash in order to progress, even in the Sigma stages. The same is true for X2.

I didn't think there was, I just wasn't sure. Further proves the point, though.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Is the MML3 beta going to be free, or will they charge for it?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

A good poster posted:

They already said they are going to charge for it, and unless they are bluffing, they stated that if the sales of the beta are not sufficient, then MML3 will be canceled altogether.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

A good poster posted:

It's not really a beta, and they're charging for it. It seems like the sort of preview/prequel demos they did for Dead Rising 2 and Dead Space 2.....I'm guessing it'll end with Mega Man coming back to Terra, since at the end of MML2 he was trapped on Elysium, all the Reaverbots on the planet got activated, and Roll and Tron were trying to get him home. People new to the series would be pissed if the first half of a Mega Man game didn't have the titular Blue Bomber...I mean, look at X7.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Also it's only going to cost like $2 so I imagine it'll do pretty decently. The only issue is really the size of the 3DS userbase right now. It's not going to represent the potential sales of MML3 when it comes out in a year or so and significantly more people have bought the system. Capcom may make a poor decision based on weird data.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Jumpin' on the "MMX Rules" bandwagon. I've always been more partial to MMX3, though.

Pretty much this. X3 is really the best it could've been, as far as I can see. Lots of stuff to find, cool music (the grunge inspired soundtrack was just as cool as the more classic rock from the other games), and a higher difficulty. The latter of which is always nice, unless the game name is Zero 2 or X6. They're both pretty cool, but trying for perfect runs are system-smashingly aggravating, often verging on the nigh-impossible.

The only problem with X3 is that, really, there weren't a lot of places to make use of all the cool stuff. It had, hands down, the best Ride Armor in the series (except maybe the one from X4), but there was rarely any need to use it, or any of them.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The helmet could be slightly less useless, but that's hardly anything that got fixed in the later SNES games. I say this as someone who pretty much agrees with you on all other counts.

ngeunit1
Apr 9, 2008

Nerd Herd
This is almost kinda random, but I have finally got around to going back and trying to beat all the Mega Mans form the first on, and I saw this thread. Working on the first one right now. Such awesome games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was chatting with The Commander of The Protomen after their show in Phoenix last year. I asked him if they'll ever do an album based on Mega Man X. You know what he said to me?

"gently caress Mega Man X."

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Schwarzwald posted:

Also X3, but you need to be very clever.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Why hate on MMX? X4 and X5 are, imo, the best Mega Man games (I'm sure someone is going to tell me the Zero games are better).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
As much as I like Mega Man X, I'm really tempted to say MMZ-series is a little better, but then recall that the series is held back by a score system and those loving cyber-elves. Mega Man Zero Collection's easy mode does it right by giving you every elf at the start of game, though it didn't have to SPEND them as well!

So, my favorite Mega Man game is Mega Man ZX. It's basically Mega Man X, but with a gender choice and the ability to morph into your enemies instead of just getting their weapon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kefkafloyd posted:

Even better than MM2.

Also has some of the best Megaman, or video games period, music. Ever. This is a very old remix by Protricity(a first step into a new genre for him apparently), and was the first video game remix I'd heard that wasn't a MIDI. I still have it and listen to it. Brainsick Metal, a remix using the intro stage theme, Storm Eagle's theme, and Spark Mandrill's theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-OppykeE7Y

I do agree that MMX is basically perfect, though. Some stuff in 2 was a pain in the dick, but it was a good game, however I think X1 was better quality-wise. Literally the only complaint I have about X1, as said, is that you HAVE to do Chill Penguin's stage first because not having the dash boots is boring as hell. But yeah, I can blitz through X1 no-hit runs using only non-charged shots when not required and still have fun. Basically like Super Metroid, in that no matter how many times I beat it and break it over my knee, it's still just fun to play anyways.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was chatting with The Commander of The Protomen after their show in Phoenix last year. I asked him if they'll ever do an album based on Mega Man X. You know what he said to me?

That's okay because The Protomen make lovely music and I wouldn't want them tainting Megaman X's great music with their terrible lyrics. :banjo:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

That's okay because The Protomen make lovely music and I wouldn't want them tainting Megaman X's great music with their terrible lyrics. :banjo:

I'll join the pile-on here and criticise the engineering on their albums too. I have no idea if their lyrics are any good, because the singer is almost always buried by over-compressed drums and cymbals.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Megas are good right?

I like them. :ohdear:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love the Protomen.

To be fair, of course he'd hate Mega Man X. Almost every remnant of the old Mega Man universe shows up or is mentioned... except Protoman. (And Roll)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pureauthor posted:

The Megas are good right?

I like them. :ohdear:

"A master of machines and of the birds and the bees, my level has robotic ostriches, bats, and big monkeys."

I love The Megas.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

I'll join the pile-on here and criticise the engineering on their albums too. I have no idea if their lyrics are any good, because the singer is almost always buried by over-compressed drums and cymbals.

Did you listen to Father of Death? The production values are much better.

I love The Megas too. They're not as good as The Protomen, but they're still pretty fun.

"No one in this world can understand who I am. That is why I'm my own biggest fan."

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Captain Invictus posted:

I do agree that MMX is basically perfect, though. Some stuff in 2 was a pain in the dick, but it was a good game, however I think X1 was better quality-wise.
I'd like to know specific examples. X2, in my opinion, is superior to X1 in every which way, except maybe for it being more difficult, which is not really an indicator of more badness.

Also, whoever said that X6 was pretty cool albeit being difficult is insane. It's not cool in the slightest. The difficulty is not the problem. It being bullshit most of the time is. Zero 2 is the best game, please tell me why you don't think that way.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

S-Alpha posted:

Pretty much this. X3 is really the best it could've been, as far as I can see. Lots of stuff to find, cool music (the grunge inspired soundtrack was just as cool as the more classic rock from the other games), and a higher difficulty. The latter of which is always nice, unless the game name is Zero 2 or X6. They're both pretty cool, but trying for perfect runs are system-smashingly aggravating, often verging on the nigh-impossible.

The only problem with X3 is that, really, there weren't a lot of places to make use of all the cool stuff. It had, hands down, the best Ride Armor in the series (except maybe the one from X4), but there was rarely any need to use it, or any of them.

Eh, not a huge X3 fan. The fact that there are roughly five different enemies and they respawn when you're about 3/4 of a screen away makes it a drag. Also a lot of the boss patterns are really terrible. long, and repeditive (looking at you, toxic seahorse).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Eh, not a huge X3 fan. The fact that there are roughly five different enemies and they respawn when you're about 3/4 of a screen away makes it a drag. Also a lot of the boss patterns are really terrible. long, and repeditive (looking at you, toxic seahorse).
Also, terribly uninteresting weapons, stretches in levels that are just empty (suggesting...well, bad level design, though I most of the time hesistate to just judge stuff I don't understand well), nothing at all improved over X2...whereas X2 improved over X1 in a lot of instances, mostly "more content", because gameplay-wise, as was said, X1 was pretty much perfect...

Yeah, in my opinion, X3 isn't much fun at all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Simply Simon posted:

I'd like to know specific examples. X2, in my opinion, is superior to X1 in every which way, except maybe for it being more difficult, which is not really an indicator of more badness.
The X-Hunters or whatever they were. I hated them, and did not find them fun at all to fight. Not a huge fan of the Sigma stages either, but I don't entirely remember those.

The Mavericks themselves were really good, Magna Centipede's level in particular was great with an outstanding gimmick.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I wonder if people who liked X3 (like me) were people who didn't bother with special weapons as much, instead opting for the buster most of the time (also like me)?

Also: the only band that plays Mega Man music you need is the Minibosses. :colbert: gently caress yo' lyrics

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Also: the only band that plays Mega Man music you need is the Minibosses. :colbert: gently caress yo' lyrics
Unless Brentalfloss is involved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5lO3zUYU0o&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
^^ EDIT: I loved X3 and am also a buster-whore in pretty much all of these, certainly in the X-series at least.

Simply Simon posted:

MMX2 is, in my opinion, also better than X1.

I think X2 really fleshed out what the X-series was all about in the same way that MM2 set the "standard" for the Classic series. Where the two series differ is that Classic kept making good additions while the X-series changed things around too much too often. Seriously, give me a SNES-style MMX game with as much content as X2/X3 and I'll be first in line for that poo poo. You don't even have to let me play as Zero!

Crowetron posted:

I've always been more partial to MMX3, though.

I haven't bitched about in a while, so I just want to say how sad I am that they used the Saturn version of X3 in the X Collection instead of the SNES version. I loved that game growing up but the sound quality in the X Collection just kills it for me.