Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Constantius posted:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/desperados_wanted_dead_or_alive posted:

Based on the successful tactical combat mechanics from the Commandos series with an even more challenging difficulty level.
An even more challenging difficulty level.

More challenging than the Commandos series? Dear god...

I feel like if I play this I'll become grizzled and unshaven, doused in a constant smoky haze with a battle-weary thousand-yard stare.

Desperados is a real bastard. Only recommended if you managed to get through Commandos without throwing your fist through your monitor. Good game just requires insane levels of patience and forethought.

Not ashamed to admit that it had me totally beaten back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
The remaining mystery questions are as follows:

What game made you fear your past?
What game made you go to the underground?
What game made you feel like a hero?
What game made monsters afraid of you?

Remember that all of these refer to games published by Atari or companies bought out by it. Note that one of these refers to The Witcher.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The second one sounds like Ultima Underworld by Looking Glass Studios.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

The second one sounds like Ultima Underworld by Looking Glass Studios.

I wish, EA on board with Ultima Underworld would be awesome.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
The first one could be Time Gate, the unofficial Alone in the dark 4.
I hope not, it's pretty bad.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BiggerJ posted:

What game made monsters afraid of you?

Remember that all of these refer to games published by Atari or companies bought out by it. Note that one of these refers to The Witcher.

The Witcher is this last one. During the game either Geralt or one of his fellow Witchers makes the point that they're seen as nothing more than monster hunters, even though they deal with a whole lot more.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"I'm a Witcher. Witcher's kill monsters."

If I recall properly, Desperados has a lot of folksy stereotypes. The black guy quotes Song of the South when he performs an action (ZIPPITY DOO DA) and the Native American character should have been renamed Tonto. The Chinese guy says "Confucius is with me" and the Mexican guy laments wanting a Tequila at every opportunity. The female character is of course a whore who attracts the attention of anyone looking at her. I guess you can pass it off as a homage to the terribly insensitive movies of the past but it really is a good, balls-to-the-wall game. If Commandos pissed you off then you're in for a treat; the second mission alone has you evade like 50 soldiers on a plantation as you carry the black guy's unconscious body through cotton fields because he was knocked out loving the land owner's daughter. It also has some of the finest 2D sprite art I've seen.

"Fear your past" is probably a reference to Soulbringer or The Wheel of Time which both featured protagonists with secret pasts they weren't aware of. The "made you feel like a Hero" is probably Eric the Unready or Superhero Squad of Hoboken. I really like to think Atari wants to test drive Legend's games because when Legend Entertainment was acquired by Atari in '04 there was massive public backlash and people making dumb internet petitions to force Atari into releasing/supporting Legend's products.

e: I'd love to see 9: The Last Resort released. loving weird rear end game by GT Interactive starring John Belushi, Robert Deniro, Cher, Steven Tyler, and a bunch of other celebrities. I want to play Bad Mojo too, give me that.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 21, 2011

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Honest Thief posted:

I wish, EA on board with Ultima Underworld would be awesome.

Any of the Ultima series would generate so much revenue for GoG. I think people forget how large the fan base was and still is. Yeah we've all grown up, but now we have more money to spend. I'd happily fork out a large amount of money for a complete Ultima collection. Just need some EA collaboration.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

al-azad posted:

"Fear your past" is probably a reference to Soulbringer or The Wheel of Time which both featured protagonists with secret pasts they weren't aware of. The "made you feel like a Hero" is probably Eric the Unready or Superhero Squad of Hoboken. I really like to think Atari wants to test drive Legend's games because when Legend Entertainment was acquired by Atari in '04 there was massive public backlash and people making dumb internet petitions to force Atari into releasing/supporting Legend's products.

...CALLAHAN'S CROSSTIME loving SALOON.

Don Sultan
Aug 14, 2009

I am Sea Lion, hear me rwblbwoblbwoblbwoarr!

Harmonica posted:

Desperados is a real bastard. Only recommended if you managed to get through Commandos without throwing your fist through your monitor. Good game just requires insane levels of patience and forethought.

Not ashamed to admit that it had me totally beaten back in the day.

I had Commandos Behind Enemy Lines and Beyond the Call of Duty. I found both difficult, and never legitimately completed either. Desperados, though, I seem to remember being easier. I actually completed it, and loved every minute. Although rose-tinted glasses and all that. It was a great homage to Hollywood's vision of the old west. Sure, patience was needed, but that's the genre, I suppose.

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.

BiggerJ posted:

...CALLAHAN'S CROSSTIME loving SALOON.

Holy loving poo poo i have never, ever met anyone else that played that game. Was it that obscure?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I could really get behind some Crosstime Saloon action.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
So... Star Control 2. Been playing it (well, the remake) for the past two days, and at some point I got the strangest Mass Effect vibe from it. It has a galaxy map, you travel within solar systems sort of like in ME2 (but with more realistic inertia handling), you scan and land on planets to drive a vehicle around to gather minerals, and it has the sex with blue alien women :v:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Lurchibles posted:

Any of the Ultima series would generate so much revenue for GoG. I think people forget how large the fan base was and still is. Yeah we've all grown up, but now we have more money to spend. I'd happily fork out a large amount of money for a complete Ultima collection. Just need some EA collaboration.

This is gog. you'll pay either $5.99 or $9.99 per trilogy if they release it.

Never played the Ultima games myself though, so all I've got to go on is my buddies telling me UO is the best MMO ever.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

UO was something in its heyday, but it's a shallow imposter of itself nowadays and has been for a long long time. But really, there's no way of reconciling UO with the single-player series.

U6&7 are where my fondest PC gaming memories come from. Everyone has a favourite depending on how old they are. Other games have been more fun, but nothing else has left such an impression on me.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Gehenomm posted:

Holy loving poo poo i have never, ever met anyone else that played that game. Was it that obscure?

I never even knew it was made into a game. How does it compare to the books?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

AG3 posted:

So... Star Control 2. Been playing it (well, the remake) for the past two days, and at some point I got the strangest Mass Effect vibe from it. It has a galaxy map, you travel within solar systems sort of like in ME2 (but with more realistic inertia handling), you scan and land on planets to drive a vehicle around to gather minerals, and it has the sex with blue alien women :v:

I remember reading somewhere during the initial ME pre-release hype machine that SC2 was one of the devs' primary inspirations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The space opera genre in video games is so underused that you can follow the short chain of precursors with ease. Star Control is obviously inspired by Starflight which is obviously inspired by SunDog which needs a remake badly.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
So there's a ubisoft mini sale going on this weekend. Who wants to tell me about Settlers 2? Is it as involved as Settlers 7? Or a bit more simplistic? I thought Settlers 7 was a *bit* much.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/ubisoft_mix_up_to_50_off_this_weekend

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Settlers 2 is definitely simpler than 7, but it's not overly simple either. Quite a satisfying game. You probably don't want that version of it, though - Ubisoft did a 10th Anniversary official remake back in 2006. Never played the remake myself, but heard very good things about it.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 22, 2011

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Bats posted:

So there's a ubisoft mini sale going on this weekend. Who wants to tell me about Settlers 2? Is it as involved as Settlers 7? Or a bit more simplistic? I thought Settlers 7 was a *bit* much.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/ubisoft_mix_up_to_50_off_this_weekend

Settlers 2 has a lot less forced micro-management. It's back when Settlers wasn't sure if it was a Civ game or a village management game though so there is quite a lot of detail. Good game.

Also pick up Far Cry if you haven't got it! Such a good game!

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

ducttape posted:

I never even knew it was made into a game. How does it compare to the books?

Tremendously well. The characters are all well represented, with maybe Micky Finn being the one exception, and it's forgivable. It's got everything the books have and more. It's a throwback, though. It still takes place in Callahan's, not Mary's Place. Spider didn't really have much of a hand in the production, but Josh Mandel (Freddy Pharkas) did an admirable job. Plus, Spider actually performs a few songs for the soundtrack, including a fantastic rendition of The Drunkard's Song.

I bought that one the very day it came out, and still have my original copy. I think I'll dig it out and play it tonight. One of the best point-and-click adventures ever.

Tasteful Bulge fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 22, 2011

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Settler's II is the only decent Settler's game prior to Settlers 7. It's a classic. The first was alright but was dated by the time the sequel arrived. The rest are horrible.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Harmonica posted:

Settler's II is the only decent Settler's game prior to Settlers 7. It's a classic. The first was alright but was dated by the time the sequel arrived. The rest are horrible.

Oh, pish. I loved Settlers III. IV and Heritage of Kings were a bit horrible, though.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Anyone played arcanum? Looks like a neat steam punk rpg

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/arcanum_of_steamworks_and_magick_obscura

Toshley
Apr 5, 2011

SnatchRabbit posted:

That's essentially what is it, the gameplay is very much similar to Fallout, set in a gorgeous Steampunk-Fantasy world, coupled with an amazing soundtrack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SnatchRabbit posted:

No, no one has ever heard of Arcanum. :v:

(Yes, loads of people have played it, it gets a mention every four or five pages. It's got a great setting but the game parts are flawed, it's still a brilliant game that's well worth playing. You'll want to get the fan patch and Otto's tech rebalance mod to make the game parts slightly less sucky.)

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, no one has ever heard of Arcanum. :v:

(Yes, loads of people have played it, it gets a mention every four or five pages. It's got a great setting but the game parts are flawed, it's still a brilliant game that's well worth playing. You'll want to get the fan patch and Otto's tech rebalance mod to make the game parts slightly less sucky.)

Awesome thanks! Got links for the patches?

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp

SnatchRabbit posted:

Awesome thanks! Got links for the patches?

Try this thread

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

Here's a thread about it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396909

edit - woops, already posted above

CerebralDonut fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 23, 2011

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mecharasputin posted:

Try this thread

Otto's is now Krupp's All-in-One, I forgot about that.

Basically, install absolutely everything in the OP of that thread except for the official patch. IIRC the GOG version comes pre-patched to the latest official version.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Harmonica posted:

With the usual caveat that you should really be tracking down the 10th Anniversary remake. It's outstanding and plays great with modern hardware.

There are some minor changes/enhancements, I'd say always for the better. Road building is slightly more streamlined. I think the only significant rule change is you get a little bit of your materials back when you raze a building.

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

teethgrinder posted:

With the usual caveat that you should really be tracking down the 10th Anniversary remake. It's outstanding and plays great with modern hardware.

There are some minor changes/enhancements, I'd say always for the better. Road building is slightly more streamlined. I think the only significant rule change is you get a little bit of your materials back when you raze a building.

Is the remake available as a digital download? Pretty sure the one on GoG is the original

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

SnatchRabbit posted:

AMAZING game. If you like the old Fallout-style RPGs then this is just great fun. Hours of entertainment.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jiriam posted:

Is the remake available as a digital download? Pretty sure the one on GoG is the original

No, and I think it was only released on Europe, or at least that's what I heard.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

No, and I think it was only released on Europe, or at least that's what I heard.
Distribution of it was weird, but I think it made it to the big box stores in the US. It was a "Future Shop exclusive" for some reason in Canada. As if it was a big name game or something.

Only a vikings expansion was unique to Europe.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Dominic White posted:

But yeah, anyway - good as GoG's Dosbox repacks are, this version of Star Control 2 is the definitive best one there will ever likely be.

Edit: The main site doesn't show it, but there's a newer build here, too.

I don't see a way to make this work? Do I just get the installer and all the uqm content? Do I need to compile poo poo or can it just run with the GOG files?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Don't touch the GOG files. Just get the installer and it does all the work for you.

edit:

I did struggle for a while to get the add-on music going (which the installer downloads for you), but eventually all I had to do was change my shortcut to read:
code:
"D:\Games\Star Control 2\uqm.exe" --addon remix
(i.e. add "--addon remix" to whatever your path is)

I do recommend playing with the original music a while though. I personally don't like some of the reinterpretations as much, particularly hyperspace.

edit2: oh ha, 0.7 allows you to select the new music from in game setup.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 24, 2011

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Thanks for the recommend on Settlers 2: 10th Anniversary Edition. It looks totally sweet. I'll have to track down a copy in retail it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ok, In Might and Magic, World of Xeen. How do you trade equipment between party members? I can't seem to figure that out....