Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

tarepanda posted:

I would imagine that Gallaudet University is THE place to go for Deaf Education.

afaik, Gallaudet is mostly a general college for the deaf/HOH (though it does admit a small amount of hearing students). They do have education-based undergrad degrees, but thats what I'm looking for - more information. There have to be a FEW deaf/hoh goons, or teachers of the deaf on SA. UCSD has a pretty good rep for deaf ed based on my vague knowledge.

ex: would I be a deaf studies major, or a deaf education major? Whats the difference? What do you do with a deaf studies major vs a deaf education major (besides teach/interpret)? Is that all too broad of a spectrum? :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

2508084 posted:

afaik, Gallaudet is mostly a general college for the deaf/HOH (though it does admit a small amount of hearing students). They do have education-based undergrad degrees, but thats what I'm looking for - more information. There have to be a FEW deaf/hoh goons, or teachers of the deaf on SA. UCSD has a pretty good rep for deaf ed based on my vague knowledge.

ex: would I be a deaf studies major, or a deaf education major? Whats the difference? What do you do with a deaf studies major vs a deaf education major (besides teach/interpret)? Is that all too broad of a spectrum? :\

I'd try e-mailing Gallaudet first. I mean, it seems like the best place to learn ASL interpretation, for example, simply because it's an ASL-intensive environment. THey'll know what they offer better than anyone else, and could probably point you in the right direction if they don't have what you're looking for.

I'm hard of hearing myself (cochlear implant in left ear, profound hearing loss in the right) but I don't know jack about this kind of stuff.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Elijya posted:

Insurance.

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I got my first round of property insurance about 2 years ago and I didn't have to do anything that specific. The place I went only wanted a list of items valued at over $5,000 or something, but I'm sure that varies wildly by location/company/etc. Depending on your policy, you may need photographic proof of ownership of said item and proof of original payment. Not all require this, and of course it won't matter nearly as much for a $50 item as it would for a $5,000 one, but it can GREATLY help any future claims. The most common advice is to take photos of everything significant, photograph/write down any specific serial numbers or identifying marks, and put that together with copies of payment in a file somewhere NOT AT YOUR HOME (in case of fire or whatever).

Another thing to specifically look for in a policy is the valuation method. The two that were offered to me were original cost or current market price. The difference is age. With original cost you get what you originally paid or a new item, and with current market you get whatever value it had at the time of loss. So with an example $1,000 computer that was stolen a year after purchase: $1,000 for original cost to get a new one, and market price maybe $600 because it was old technology and lost some value. The market price policy is cheaper, obviously.

Edit: policy price will vary like crazy, you're going to have to get some quotes. I found it surprisingly affordable and they often offer different levels of coverage (like $x for $15,000 of coverage, $2x for $25,000 of coverage, etc).

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Popular myth has it that elephants are afraid of mice. Mythbusters even tested it on wild elephants and found they indeed had some aversion (though not as extreme as in cartoons):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpTSA_25wGE

Is it possible the elephants mistake the mouse for some other type of small creature that is actually dangerous to them? Do elephants have good vision? Maybe they avoid all small critters just to be safe.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
What's the cheapest way to get drunk?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PlasticPaddy posted:

What's the cheapest way to get drunk?

This recent chat should help:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343753&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=150#post390714189

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you don't want something that hardcore, 3 buck chuck at Trader Joe's gets the job done.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Josh Lyman posted:

If you don't want something that hardcore, 3 buck chuck at Trader Joe's gets the job done.

Never discount box wine. 10$ for 5 liters, drink fast and remember to stock aspirin the next day. Or plastic bottle vodka.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

drat this thread moves fast. Didn't think to check the last few pages. Thanks!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Baron Bifford posted:

Popular myth has it that elephants are afraid of mice. Mythbusters even tested it on wild elephants and found they indeed had some aversion (though not as extreme as in cartoons):

Is it possible the elephants mistake the mouse for some other type of small creature that is actually dangerous to them? Do elephants have good vision? Maybe they avoid all small critters just to be safe.

I don't think elephants are specifically afraid of mice. They just react to living things scurrying around not unlike any other animal really.

If I avoid or react to a fly buzzing around my face does that mean I am afraid of it?

PlasticPaddy: Are you a gimmick or are you really trying to "leaving las vegas" yourself? Natural Ice is the best drunk for your buck as far as accessibility/cost/ etc.

VVV "enjoy getting drunk" :eng101: ;)

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 22, 2011

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

PlasticPaddy: Are you a gimmick or are you really trying to "leaving las vegas" yourself? Natural Ice is the best drunk for your buck as far as accessibility/cost/ etc.

That'd be a really boring gimmick. I just really enjoy drinking :)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Baron Bifford posted:

Elephants in fact have poor vision, and if they react at all to mice they're probably just reacting to unknown movement.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/elephant.asp

quote:

Claim: Elephants are afraid of mice.

Origins: One of our more familiar comical scenes is the topsy-turvy image of a gigantic elephant standing on its hind legs atop a chair or platform, cowering in terror at the presence of a cute little whiskered mouse. It's funny, but is it based on reality, or is it purely a bit of humorous invention?

Actually, elephants are one of the more fearless animals in the world, even though they share habitats with lions, rhinos, and tigers. (Unfortunately, that same fearlessness can also make them easy prey for poachers.) Elephants are also more likely to encounter mice in zoos and circuses (where the abundance of grain and hay tend to attract the little critters) than in the wild, but either way there's nothing about rodents they find particularly frightening. In fact, given the large size and relatively poor eyesight of elephants, they don't necessarily notice the occasional mouse scurrying around them all that often.

If there's any truth to this legend at all, it likely comes from elephants' being anxious about nearby sounds or movement they can't identify, such as that caused by mice darting around underfoot. Elephants may be afraid of very little, but unlocatable sounds and small, fast objects that are difficult to follow can add up to something unidentifiable, one of the few things that signal "danger" to them. However, such a reaction could just as easily be triggered by something other than mice, such as small dogs.

If we still find the image of the hulking pachyderm terrified by a tiny rodent comical perhaps we should consider our own often irrational reactions to small, harmless creatures such as spiders, insects, and . . . mice.

Last updated: 29 June 2007

More here:
http://www.extremescience.com/zoom/index.php/animal-kingdom-records/18-elephants-afraid-of-mice

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Why does it take much longer to get hot water from my kitchen sink faucet then any other in the house? My bathrooms have scalding hot water before I can get half-way through washing my hands. Shower is up to a good temp and ready to go in seconds. Kitchen, on the other hand, takes a solid 5 minutes of running the water before it's good to wash dishes.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Teeter posted:

Why does it take much longer to get hot water from my kitchen sink faucet then any other in the house? My bathrooms have scalding hot water before I can get half-way through washing my hands. Shower is up to a good temp and ready to go in seconds. Kitchen, on the other hand, takes a solid 5 minutes of running the water before it's good to wash dishes.
Most likely the pipe(s) are longer from water heater to kitchen sink, which means the kitchen sink is the farthest one from the heater.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I have that water heating issue too. Although it's not five minutes. Every faucet takes at most 10-15 seconds to get water that's too hot to handle, but the faucet in one of the washrooms takes about 30 seconds. It's not really that much farther in terms of absolute distance.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Dudebro posted:

I have that water heating issue too. Although it's not five minutes. Every faucet takes at most 10-15 seconds to get water that's too hot to handle, but the faucet in one of the washrooms takes about 30 seconds. It's not really that much farther in terms of absolute distance.

There's a ton of variables that will affect it.

-Distance
-Insulation
-Flow
-Room temp

Example: My shower used to take a lot longer because it had a super low flow head.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Pro-tip: if the hot water is running out while you're showering or taking a bath, reduce the pressure. It depends on the design, but usually it cuts off the cold water flow first, giving you another few minutes at your preferred temp.

shirtninjas
Nov 15, 2009
Does there exist a program where you can provide the measurements for one part of a picture and it will figure out the dimensions for any other part of the picture? (Say, I tell it a car in the picture is 11 feet long, and it can tell me the height of the wheels?)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

shirtninjas posted:

Does there exist a program where you can provide the measurements for one part of a picture and it will figure out the dimensions for any other part of the picture? (Say, I tell it a car in the picture is 11 feet long, and it can tell me the height of the wheels?)

http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/

Seriously. It's free, cross platform, and easy as hell to use.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I have two computers that I use Firefox 4 on. One of them allows me to search using the address bar, the other one shows this message when I try to search:

Any ideas what the problem can be?

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
Anyone know if there is a place online that is reliable and has good ties for around a dollar? Just curious if there is such a place!

agro_cragg
Dec 9, 2006
Time travel to the edge of the Moon!
I clear my history in Chrome completely. I type one character into the search bar on Wikipedia, and my previous searches still pop down. How do I get rid of those?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have two computers that I use Firefox 4 on. One of them allows me to search using the address bar, the other one shows this message when I try to search:

Tried uninstall/reinstall?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bojanglesworth posted:

It means the other one isn't allowing you to search that way, or at least to type the words and then press Enter. What the address bar should be doing is displaying the site names that have "what the gently caress" in them and the addresses those names are linked to. You can then move down the list and select the address you want. If you type "what the gently caress" and then press Enter without choosing a site, you'll get that error message.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Bojanglesworth posted:

You can fix it by fiddling around in about :config. Just google 'searching with firefox address bar' and something'll probably pop up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So I consult for a small non-profit and can manage most of their needs, but one thing I'm sucking at is remote access.

When they had a very expensive professional, he somehow generated a list of everyone's port numbers that allowed them to remote to their workstation, but they've switched buildings. How do I get this list? I've googled and googled and googled and I can never find out how to get into workstations behind routers (people can get to the server though).

Right now people are remoting to the server, then from the server remoting into their workstation.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So, why can't you use rit dye for your hair? I know nothing about rit dye except that it makes my clothes pretty. While dyeing something, that thought crossed my mind. So I'm kind of curious. "It's a different chemical you moron" is kinda obvious and I'd imagine if it took it'd be permanent, right? No?

So if you want blue hair, why can't you set up a bucket full of blue rit dye and flop your hair in it for ten minutes?

What makes you think you can't dye your hair with Rit? I'm pretty sure that's what people used to dye their hair non-natural colors before dyes specifically marketed as hair dye in those colors became widely available.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

agro_cragg posted:

I clear my history in Chrome completely. I type one character into the search bar on Wikipedia, and my previous searches still pop down. How do I get rid of those?

That's part of the Autofill form data, not history. It's a separate box you have to tick off when you press Ctrl-Shift-Del to bring up the Clear Browsing Data menu.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
My Blackberry got stolen last night. Luckily I had an insurance with my carrier, though I'll still have to pay the 150$ deductible (:canada:). The problem is I don't have a landline and I live alone, so I'm virtually unreachable until I get my new phone next Thursday.

So, I've looked around and seen that online texting is possible, but I was wondering if goons knew of any trustworthy sites that would work with Bell Canada. Is that kind of messaging two-way?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there some trick to making all the Gawker blogs actually work consistently after their terrible, terrible redesign? Some setting I need to enable/disable? Half the time I can't click on stories, the back button doesn't usually work, and I just have a blank frame where the stories are supposed to be way too often. I'm using Firefox 4 if that matters.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bloody Mayhem posted:

So, I've looked around and seen that online texting is possible, but I was wondering if goons knew of any trustworthy sites that would work with Bell Canada. Is that kind of messaging two-way?

As far as I know you can never receive messages this way, but you can send as many as you want.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
People can text message your email address.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Bloody Mayhem posted:

My Blackberry got stolen last night. Luckily I had an insurance with my carrier, though I'll still have to pay the 150$ deductible (:canada:). The problem is I don't have a landline and I live alone, so I'm virtually unreachable until I get my new phone next Thursday.

If you know anybody who can't use facebook and email from their phone, what are they going to tell you? Their theories about Lost?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Whatever happened to spelunky? Did the guy just get tired of working on it and drop the xbla version?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Rick posted:

So I consult for a small non-profit and can manage most of their needs, but one thing I'm sucking at is remote access.

When they had a very expensive professional, he somehow generated a list of everyone's port numbers that allowed them to remote to their workstation, but they've switched buildings. How do I get this list? I've googled and googled and googled and I can never find out how to get into workstations behind routers (people can get to the server though).

Right now people are remoting to the server, then from the server remoting into their workstation.

Port forwarding via the firewall.

Configure the workstations with static IPs, and then point ipaddress:port to that IP via firewall rule.

Just Google port forwarding and whatever firewall they use and you should be all set.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Is there some trick to making all the Gawker blogs actually work consistently after their terrible, terrible redesign? Some setting I need to enable/disable? Half the time I can't click on stories, the back button doesn't usually work, and I just have a blank frame where the stories are supposed to be way too often. I'm using Firefox 4 if that matters.

I switched to using m.gizmodo.com

Then I stopped reading it very often. Strip away the prettiness and the articles aren't that great either.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What was the first FPS to use ironsight aiming? The earliest I can remember was Operation Flashpoint 1, from 2001.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

I am not by any means a knowledgeable computer person. Back in the 90s, I used to play a computer game here and there, and there were also some ones I heard about that I missed. Is there yet a simple way to go back and play old DOS and other type games, things like Doom and Duke Nukem, Myst, Another World, Dark Seed, Diablo 1 and 2, Descent, Terra Nova, etc.? I am aware of the Game Forums rules about warez, and am not asking for anything illegal. If there's an official way to go about it, I'd be glad to. I wouldn't even mind buying original copies off eBay, but I only have a netbook with no disc drive and I'm not sure those old games can work on modern computers anyway, or I don't have the skills to make it so that they can.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Half of those are on Good Old Games, a digital distributor kind of like Steam but without any DRM and much better support for making games work. I've heard a few exceptions but by the vast majority they're regarded as the most surefire way to legally play old games. As for the others, some aren't available there because whoever owns them has them on their own service (Diablo is on Blizzard's, for example), and you can get them there.

For games not available for purchase, or that you buy elsewhere, you'll generally end up using DosBox, which is pretty straightforward. There are tutorials available online but usually beyond configuring CPU cycles it does most of the work for you. Even most of the GoG stuff uses it, though they take care of pretty much all the heavy lifting. For more help, I don't know if there's some general old games thread (there really should be), I'd recommend asking in the GoG thread unless one pops up.

Also we're allowed to post Home of the Underdogs, at least we are in Games so hopefully here as well (:ohdear:), which has a lot of old abandonware games on it you can get for free, and links to where you can buy others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Half of those are on Good Old Games, a digital distributor kind of like Steam but without any DRM and much better support for making games work. I've heard a few exceptions but by the vast majority they're regarded as the most surefire way to legally play old games. As for the others, some aren't available there because whoever owns them has them on their own service (Diablo is on Blizzard's, for example), and you can get them there.

For games not available for purchase, or that you buy elsewhere, you'll generally end up using DosBox, which is pretty straightforward. There are tutorials available online but usually beyond configuring CPU cycles it does most of the work for you. Even most of the GoG stuff uses it, though they take care of pretty much all the heavy lifting. For more help, I don't know if there's some general old games thread (there really should be), I'd recommend asking in the GoG thread unless one pops up.

Also we're allowed to post Home of the Underdogs, at least we are in Games so hopefully here as well (:ohdear:), which has a lot of old abandonware games on it you can get for free, and links to where you can buy others.
Thanks a ton! Already got Duke 3D up and running!