Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I love San Andreas. It's what me and my friend used to play one summer every day before we went out so I associate it with all that mostly, drinking heavily and laughing whenever CJ said anything. Our favourite thing was the mountain in the bottom corner, all we'd do for hours at a time is try and get to the top with 4 stars then drive off. When we'd get bored of that we'd just jump on top of one of the trains and watch the world go by for a bit. Part of why I didn't like gta 4 as much was that you couldn't ride cars.

How I feel about SA is how this guy feels about IV. But different.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2010/mar/21/tom-bissell-video-game-cocaine-addiction

Looking forward to 5. As long as you can ride cars. I'd like it if you started off as just a regular shmuck like Walter in Breaking Bad. I'd also like it if they got away from the whole moralising aspect of the game as if I've just killed two hundred people in the last evening then crashed a helicopter into the empire state building I'm not going to be too broken up about killing one dude. And then to kill that guy I have to kill thirty or so of his henchman? The Boss from Saints Row was good for what kind of stuff the character did outside of missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Been rusty, but finally did it. Haven't done it in a few years.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mudoon/screenshot/577794895720724698?tab=public

Now on to firetruck missions.

I've already got 100 taxi fares.

I may do vigilante missions after firetruck missions or wait until I get to the next island. Meh.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 24, 2011

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
drat, GTA3 ambulance missions. You, sir, are for real.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Did it with kb+m, buddy. Anyone complaining about those controls just needs practice.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

Lurchibles posted:

With a graphics card like that your system should pwn this game. Have you got the latest drivers? And is it just FPS drops as you drive or constant FPS issues?

Its not FPS drops, its a sluggishness as I drive. I uploaded a video here on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LVHAO5-0ow
Took the video with my phone since I didn't want to downloads fraps for this.
Ignore my friend. I forgot to mute ventrilo.

But I do have the latest drivers. And it's the steam version if that matters.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Himuro posted:

Did it with kb+m, buddy. Anyone complaining about those controls just needs practice.

I can adapt to any sort of controls. It was the top-heavy ambulance in GTA3 that did me in. I never finished it. VC and SA were cakewalks in comparison...

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Himuro posted:

Been rusty, but finally did it. Haven't done it in a few years.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mudoon/screenshot/577794895720724698?tab=public

Now on to firetruck missions.

I've already got 100 taxi fares.

I may do vigilante missions after firetruck missions or wait until I get to the next island. Meh.
Awesome! The ambo in in GTA III is durable where in VC/SA I found it easy to be on fire in the later levels, but it's so easy to either run over or have NPCs run over the victims. I still want to try Paramedic later in the game where there's a risk of Leone/Colombian trouble.

The Borgnine owns, too. I used it over and over in missions that need speed & durability. The Bickle '76 isn't quite the game changer in LCS that the Borgnine is in GTAIII.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

I can adapt to any sort of controls. It was the top-heavy ambulance in GTA3 that did me in. I never finished it. VC and SA were cakewalks in comparison...

I always did the ambulance missions in SA in that one little podunk town that happened to have a hospital. Never had to drive more than 3 blocks.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

bort posted:

Awesome! The ambo in in GTA III is durable where in VC/SA I found it easy to be on fire in the later levels, but it's so easy to either run over or have NPCs run over the victims. I still want to try Paramedic later in the game where there's a risk of Leone/Colombian trouble.

The Borgnine owns, too. I used it over and over in missions that need speed & durability. The Bickle '76 isn't quite the game changer in LCS that the Borgnine is in GTAIII.

I find GTA3's R3 missions to be tougher than the one's in VC and SA but I think VC offers the best rewards. Fireproof! 50% more armor! 50% more health!

Still, infinte sprint is something I go for every time I play GTA3 for real. If it's a speed run, gently caress it, but if I'm gonna do every mission it's a keeper.

I've decided to drop the firetruck missions for now and concentrate on Vigilante. Only need 20 kills on this island.

After that, I'm done with R3 missions in Portland. I'll have to do pay phone missions and that one RC mission before the triads get on my rear end though.

And trust me, the Columbians aren't much of a threat, but the Leone mafia are a bitch. I never go to Portland if I can avoid it after 'Sayonara Salvatore' because it's never worth it. Sometimes you'll encounter someone in the mafia far outside of the hospital district and somewhere along Ammunation and as soon as you know it, you're shotgun food.

Only after I get the bulletproof vehicles do I ever step into Portland for a hidden package stroll. Speaking of which, bring back bulletproof and fireproof cars!

mutata posted:

I always did the ambulance missions in SA in that one little podunk town that happened to have a hospital. Never had to drive more than 3 blocks.

In SA taxi cab missions you'll often have like 2-3 minutes on your clock regularly. The other day I did like 40 fares in a row without breaking a sweat. I try to do the same thing in GTA3 and ran out of time around the 10th fare...

SA's vigilante missions however are no loving joke.

Zigmidge posted:

The ambulance is definitely a grower. You have to master its physics down. The trick is the handbrake. Also, the back button. That thing is so topsy turvy that it will spin out of control and begin to teeter tatter like a swingset. But the back and brake buttons are a life saver and can rebalance the vehicle.

You'll definitely have some close calls.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 24, 2011

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
This R3 mission talk reminds me of two more reasons that Vice City Stories owns: you had to confirm that you wanted to quit the missions so you don't screw yourself by accidentally pressing R3 again, and they had checkpoints for them at every 5 levels. So if you got to level 14 and lost (15 was the max for the reward) when you started again you started at level 10.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ElwoodCuse posted:

This R3 mission talk reminds me of two more reasons that Vice City Stories owns: you had to confirm that you wanted to quit the missions so you don't screw yourself by accidentally pressing R3 again, and they had checkpoints for them at every 5 levels. So if you got to level 14 and lost (15 was the max for the reward) when you started again you started at level 10.

Yep, Vice City Stories was really good. I loving loved it. And while not R3 missions, the property missions were fantastic. There was so much content in that game. At the time, I played it on my ps2 and I was amazed it was a psp game.

I need to replay that game.

I haven't replayed it or LCS once.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Himuro posted:

SA's vigilante missions however are no loving joke.

Not if you use a tank.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Vice City Stories is the only GTA game I didn't 100% because the PS2 version had some extra racing missions in them that were really loving hard. I remember never coming close to beating this checkpoint race where you had to drive all kinds of poo poo like a golf cart and a hovercraft. And the goofy vehicles were really hard to steer, and if you hosed up you couldn't restart, you had to blow up your vehicle and then hoof it all the way back to the beginning where you could get in the first one and get the mission to start up again.

I keep telling myself I should replay these PS2 games I own, but I never do. I replayed Vice City and San Andreas to 100% on my 360 a long long time ago, and haven't touched either of the Stories games since going nuts on them both for like a month or so after they came out for PS2. Hell, the only PS2 games I've played in the past like 4 years were Metal Gear Solid 3 and Guitar Hero 80s.

I would do unspeakable things to get HD ports of any of the 5 previous gen GTAs but I get the feeling that between the size of the game worlds and the cost of re-licensing the music and voiceovers it can't ever happen.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Himuro posted:

Only after I get the bulletproof vehicles do I ever step into Portland for a hidden package stroll. Speaking of which, bring back bulletproof and fireproof cars!

Or at least let us spend the shitloads of cash these games throw at you to add bullet/bomb/fire/damageproofing to cars. And bring back the weapon drops at safehouses.

Basically put rewards for doing poo poo back in the game. I loved getting weapons at the apartment in Gay Tony for doing X number of drug wars, especially considering drug wars are fairly fun.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I can't get over how poo poo the GTAIV music selection is, especially after the absolute brilliance of SA.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Just finished both TLaD and TBoGT after only getting to the second island in GTA IV. I'm not sure I can go back after those two. I really enjoyed TLaD but the story ended pretty anticlimactically. TBoGT was awesome fun pretty much all the way through except for those damned helicopters controls. You could at least steer okay with a controller but it was hard as poo poo to actually hit anything.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I can't get over how poo poo the GTAIV music selection is, especially after the absolute brilliance of SA.

GTAIV has one of the most diverse, interesting, high-quality music selections I think I have ever heard in a video game. I especially admire that they avoided major hits for the most part, but that's also why I think it didn't have a very good soundtrack. Even though I personally love like 95% of the soundtrack, there was nothing to make the player go "oh HELL yes this song ROCKS" and hook them into a station. Too much filler, not enough killer, I suppose. This is especially bad in the bonus Vice City FM, which doesn't even really have much in the way of "also-rans" of '80s staple music.

Also I love new age electronic and chillout music but I never drove to the Journey and I do not see myself ever driving to Self-Actualization FM (even though there are some killer downtempo names on both).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
At the very least "Jail Break" was the most perfect song for running from the cops.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

The episodes from liberty city have some really good songs though, at least on LRR which is all I listen to anyways.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Timeless Appeal posted:

At the very least "Jail Break" was the most perfect song for running from the cops.

Until Japanther's 'Radical Businessman' supplanted it in TLAD.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dotcom656 posted:

Does anyone know of any good car replacement packs for GTA IV? About a year ago I went through modding tons of cars in game and ended up breaking something horribly. I'd rather not repeat that experience and just use one large car pack.

I'm pretty sure you'll still have to install each car manually.

I wish they'd start making GTA more moddable. It's always been a pain in the rear end, too easy to gently caress up an entire install, because most things are kept in a Chinese box system of archives and backups end up being several gigabytes.

Speaking of which, holy poo poo it is difficult to find a sweet spot for ENBSeries on GTA IV.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

SplitSoul posted:

I'm pretty sure you'll still have to install each car manually.

I wish they'd start making GTA more moddable. It's always been a pain in the rear end, too easy to gently caress up an entire install, because most things are kept in a Chinese box system of archives and backups end up being several gigabytes.

Speaking of which, holy poo poo it is difficult to find a sweet spot for ENBSeries on GTA IV.

I think I've seen ENB series before. It looked pretty great. But I think I'm gonna focus on fixing this sluggishness issue first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LVHAO5-0ow

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Sounds like you have a narrow taste in music, buddy. GTAIV's soundtrack covers almost every genre (what it's really missing is classical and metal) and is very eclectic.

Capn Beeb posted:

Or at least let us spend the shitloads of cash these games throw at you to add bullet/bomb/fire/damageproofing to cars. And bring back the weapon drops at safehouses.

Basically put rewards for doing poo poo back in the game. I loved getting weapons at the apartment in Gay Tony for doing X number of drug wars, especially considering drug wars are fairly fun.

Better yet, include the Saints Row car garage! The problem with GTA is that you get a great car and you're scared to take it out because if it blows up, it's gone forever.

In Saints Row, any car you put in your garage is automatically saved and kept...FOREVER. If it blows up, you can pay a fee to get it back.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 24, 2011

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Tewratomeh posted:

Rockstar North, the developers responsible for the GTA games, even went on to develop Manhunt 2 after the Hot Coffee scandal. Yeah, they all but disowned the game shortly after, but Manhunt 2 was a game where, speaking of "castrated", you could literally castrate people with a pair of pliers. The game was even released on the Wii, Nintendo's "Kiddy Console", with full motion controls so you could simulate strangling people in real time.
I agree with you, but the filters they added onto the executions made the game so much worse than the first one. That and the awful, "Let's move away from everything remotely similar to the premise of the first game" story.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The radio in GTA4 was awful because seemingly every time you stepped into a new car, you would hear the same song that you just heard.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

blackguy32 posted:

The radio in GTA4 was awful because seemingly every time you stepped into a new car, you would hear the same song that you just heard.

Agreed, but the music selection was vast.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009
Are there any good player movement mods for GTA4?
After playing Just Cause 2 it feels grating and cumbersome as hell. Wait to turn around, get into the wrong car, slow, slow, slow....

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doppelganger posted:

I agree with you, but the filters they added onto the executions made the game so much worse than the first one. That and the awful, "Let's move away from everything remotely similar to the premise of the first game" story.

I just found out the other day that they released the game on PC through Direct2Drive, complete with fully-uncensored executions and motion controls with the mouse. It's $20 though, which is pretty steep considering it's not that great of a game and it's five years old.

I tried pirated it, and the executions are pretty loving graphic. I didn't play that far before I got bored and uninstalled it, but what I saw was pretty disgusting. The detail on a hunter's smashed face after a baseball bat attack is pretty sickening... they sputter through their exposed neckhole, their tongue flaps around and when you carry their body afterwards they continue to spray blood. Also your character actually gets covered in blood, which I don't remember in the PS2 version. It's still not a great game, but if you're curious about what was under all that filtering you can check it out. Personally I preferred the filter after seeing the gore... the game's much more effective when you don't see the violence. With gore on it's just sort of disgusting and almost comical.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

In fact the team, Rockstar Vancouver, has apparently never worked on a Rockstar game before or since. The game was well-received, so I don't know why... but there you go. That's why it feels so different than other Rockstar games.
I know this from the last page, but just wanted to correct this. Vancouver has actually been the lead developer on Max Payne 3 in association with other Rockstar Studios.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Tewratomeh posted:

I tried pirated it, and the executions are pretty loving graphic. I didn't play that far before I got bored and uninstalled it, but what I saw was pretty disgusting.

Quoting this for gently caress you buddy

I was trying to find a mod for GTA4 that puts antialising in the game, but apparently the only one was made by this russian guy and his site is down? Does anyone else know any other solutions for this? I can't play games without AA.

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

Are there any good player movement mods for GTA4?
After playing Just Cause 2 it feels grating and cumbersome as hell. Wait to turn around, get into the wrong car, slow, slow, slow....

Huge agree. I love the car physics, it's permanently hilarious to accidentally fishtail into a pedestrian and smash him against a wall just as a consequence of liberal drifting attempts. But the same physics applied to Niko is incredibly annoying. He can't turn around fast enough. If he's right next to some stairs, you have to run him in this huge loving circle like he's a big truck to get him to mount them.

I can't help but sigh when my first 30 seconds in the game are Niko emerging from his apartment and dragging his face against the wall outside so he can go down some stairs.

They also need to turn down cop spawns BIG TIME. Like, that's at the top of the loving list. It is a rarity to finish a god drat fist fight without having to run for my life from some lovely beat cop, because even gently slapping his handcuffs away brings down an avalanche of psychotic shoot to kill cops coming from everywhere. In the old games a one star wanted level wasn't a big deal, but in GTAIV because of the scene of the crime system, it could take forever to ditch the cops (because there's one on EVERY corner).

That's just what I want out of my GTA games. Being afraid to hurt someone because the police might arrest me. It's just like the boring reality I'm trying to escape by playing the drat game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
For some reason I really enjoyed the stair walk each time I started the game.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Mr. Stingly posted:

They also need to turn down cop spawns BIG TIME. Like, that's at the top of the loving list. It is a rarity to finish a god drat fist fight without having to run for my life from some lovely beat cop, because even gently slapping his handcuffs away brings down an avalanche of psychotic shoot to kill cops coming from everywhere. In the old games a one star wanted level wasn't a big deal, but in GTAIV because of the scene of the crime system, it could take forever to ditch the cops (because there's one on EVERY corner).
The cops are really easy to get rid of in GTA4. In the old games there was 0 chance of you outrunning them, you either had to find a pay n spray, or you could drive around the city to find those cop tokens, whatever they were called.

In GTA4 you can finally put your driving skills to good use in getting away from cops. You can even see the cops on your radar so you know how to avoid them. There are no tokens anymore but pay n sprays work just as well.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mr. Stingly posted:

Huge agree. I love the car physics, it's permanently hilarious to accidentally fishtail into a pedestrian and smash him against a wall just as a consequence of liberal drifting attempts. But the same physics applied to Niko is incredibly annoying. He can't turn around fast enough. If he's right next to some stairs, you have to run him in this huge loving circle like he's a big truck to get him to mount them.

I can't help but sigh when my first 30 seconds in the game are Niko emerging from his apartment and dragging his face against the wall outside so he can go down some stairs.

That's just what I want out of my GTA games. Being afraid to hurt someone because the police might arrest me. It's just like the boring reality I'm trying to escape by playing the drat game.

Beat cops stop spawning at speed in a vehicle and you can outrun those in the cars. What's your problem? You should go back to SA and see just how bad cop spawning can get. They DID tone it down for IV.

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold

Zigmidge posted:

Beat cops stop spawning at speed in a vehicle and you can outrun those in the cars. What's your problem? You should go back to SA and see just how bad cop spawning can get. They DID tone it down for IV.

It all started in SA. I remember saying in the GTA IV hype threads that I hoped they'd tone down the cop spawns, and they got even worse. You're right that it's now possible to escape a 6 star wanted level using only your brilliant driving abilities. That's a step in the right direction. But with the old system at least a 1 star wanted level was the tiniest annoyance, easily dismissed. Sometimes I can shake it in IV really easily, other times in a lovely car it constitutes a hair-pullingly frustrating ordeal. All because I punched some guy.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Tewratomeh posted:

I just found out the other day that they released the game on PC through Direct2Drive, complete with fully-uncensored executions and motion controls with the mouse. It's $20 though, which is pretty steep considering it's not that great of a game and it's five years old.
I'd say my issues with the filters are secondary to my issues with the story (considering the games take place in the GTA universe I hope I'm not getting too off topic).

Manhunt was unique; in no other game are you being coerced into acting in a snuff film. The scenarios you fight through are contrived, but that fits because there is a psychotic director who has carefully planned everything out. Cash is believable as a relentless killer because he was abducted from the execution chamber. Regardless of one's opinion of how fun the game is, at the very least the atmosphere is consistent.

Manhunt 2 may as well have had a completely different name because aside from the gameplay it has nothing to do, or even in common with the first one. I hate to be "that guy" but I predicted the plot twist in about the first minute of playing the game. When Leo begins instructing you to kill, he's nowhere around you. For what other reason would this be happening than Daniel and Leo being split personalities? Then it's revealed why Leo is in Daniel's head: because scientists wanted to create the perfect soldier! Wow! I haven't seen THAT plot device in about 8,000 other games!

Rockstar could have gone in any number of other directions. It could have been about Cash being on the run from vengeful business associates of Starkweather. Another director could have taken up the reigns and continued the filmmaking. But instead they decided to take everything that made the first game interesting and replace it with unimaginative pseudo-sci fi crap.

I did like the S&M club level though.

Doppelganger fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 24, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cage posted:

The cops are really easy to get rid of in GTA4. In the old games there was 0 chance of you outrunning them, you either had to find a pay n spray, or you could drive around the city to find those cop tokens, whatever they were called.

In GTA4 you can finally put your driving skills to good use in getting away from cops. You can even see the cops on your radar so you know how to avoid them. There are no tokens anymore but pay n sprays work just as well.

You can definitely outrun cops on wanted level 1 in the older games. Maybe 2. Once you get to 3 however, you're starting to push it and need a car.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Mr. Stingly posted:

All because I punched some guy.

Or shot a pigeon. I've been on some 4-star wanted levels just because I was trying to do that stupid side mission. Can't even melee the drat things.

I think the system was fine, but it was irritating getting near the very edge of the wanted radius after several minutes of trying to outrun the fuzz only to be spotted by some random Deputy Chucklefuck on the sidewalk, starting the process all over again. It's bad enough my car is almost on fire and has three wheels worn down to the rims, now I've got to bail and find another car with bullets hailing down on me during the switch.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's probably mostly irritating because the driving is so poo poo and unfun. If they fixed the drat core mechanics, a lot of the stuff that was annoying in GTA4 would become somewhat fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
How is GTAIV pc version? Are the controls better? Is there less input lag?

Philip J Fry posted:

Or shot a pigeon. I've been on some 4-star wanted levels just because I was trying to do that stupid side mission. Can't even melee the drat things.

I think the system was fine, but it was irritating getting near the very edge of the wanted radius after several minutes of trying to outrun the fuzz only to be spotted by some random Deputy Chucklefuck on the sidewalk, starting the process all over again.

Yep, annoying as gently caress.

• Locked thread