Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

King Nothing posted:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/2328583251.html

2006 SV650 with 4k miles for $3600, is that a good deal? KBB says $3500 dealer retail but there's no mileage modification so I'm not sure. It seems like an alright deal for a one owner bike but there aren't very many of these on svrider or ebay so it's hard to get a real good feel for the price.

Depending on the condition in person, it looks like a very good price for the mileage. Expect to get new tires though. gently caress just look at that header pipe on the front... like not even heat corrosion yet :stare:.

I bought my 2007 sv650 for about 4200, but it was in perfect condition, had a HID light installed by a crazy lighting technician dude, and had ABS.

The bike almost looks too clean to be real. Looking at that engine bay shot... gently caress. As long as their is no hidden damage, no massive cracks in the plastic I think it would be a good buy. Many of the SV's are bought as starter bikes, so seeing some dropped for stupid reasons is very common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I am now the proud owner of a 2001 Suzuki SV650S!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Congrats!

Does the front wheel look a bit bent in the 2nd picture?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

the walkin dude posted:

Congrats!

Does the front wheel look a bit bent in the 2nd picture?

Yeah, there's a small dent in the lip of the wheel. I'm guessing that happened at the same time he dropped the bike to cause the scrapes on the fairing.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Quick question: What is this?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
A "slider". One that doesn't really do much imo.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed a gear postion display with gear emulator today on my 07. Yeah its not necessary at all, but is just a few more steps after installing the gear emulator which I did want, and its cool :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehEQ58K5cPY

http://trackdayelectronics.com/

Awesome package btw, totally recommended to anyone with a compatible Suzuki. 100% plug and play, and it actually reads the gear from the sensor instead of trying to figure it out based on speed and RPM.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Cool to have, but 100 bucks for it? Nah. That's a tire or stainless lines or something more valuable. Cool if you have money to blow though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

opengl128 posted:

Installed a gear postion display with gear emulator today on my 07. Yeah its not necessary at all, but is just a few more steps after installing the gear emulator which I did want, and its cool :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehEQ58K5cPY

http://trackdayelectronics.com/

Awesome package btw, totally recommended to anyone with a compatible Suzuki. 100% plug and play, and it actually reads the gear from the sensor instead of trying to figure it out based on speed and RPM.

I never understood the functionality of a gear indicator until I had a bike on the track with one. So very handy.

Does it have any sort of significant lag or delay?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

JP Money posted:

A "slider". One that doesn't really do much imo.

Sure it's a slider? I thought sliders were more peg-like and stick out further. The reason I ask is that the one on the right side is missing, and I'd like to replace it. I can't find it on cheap cycle parts (although http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/611379-suzuki-94413-19f00-hard-parts-panel-upper-rh looks somewhat similar).

[edit]
So some guys on svrider helped me out (http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=141737). Looks like it's just a piece of the lower, and I can't find a place to buy it separately. The lower needs to be replaced anyway, so once I get really comfortable with the bike and am confident I won't drop it, I'll probably just replace the entire lower fairing.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 21, 2011

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Z3n posted:

Does it have any sort of significant lag or delay?

Maybe a fraction of a second, but not even worth mentioning. Apparently it has an even faster race mode for updating, it has all sorts of options I haven't messed about with yet.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My sidestand is droopy and has a ton of play in it, seems like there is a bolt missing as the sidestand is able to move around a ton in all four directions. Anyway, it finally caused a problem by killing the bike as I went over a big bump, so now I need to look at fixing my sidestand or bypassing the switch.

Has anyone had to replace their sidestand springs? Will that alone be enough to stop the switch killing my bike, or is the sidestand flopping all over the place a sign of something worse going on? If it's easy to bypass the switch, I'm just going to do that and call it done. Sidestand isn't hanging low enough to drag often, just to turn the bike off.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Weinertron posted:

My sidestand is droopy and has a ton of play in it, seems like there is a bolt missing as the sidestand is able to move around a ton in all four directions. Anyway, it finally caused a problem by killing the bike as I went over a big bump, so now I need to look at fixing my sidestand or bypassing the switch.

Has anyone had to replace their sidestand springs? Will that alone be enough to stop the switch killing my bike, or is the sidestand flopping all over the place a sign of something worse going on? If it's easy to bypass the switch, I'm just going to do that and call it done. Sidestand isn't hanging low enough to drag often, just to turn the bike off.

I had to shorten my springs a bit to keep suitable tension on my sidestand as it was cutting the ignition whenever i hit a severe bump.
Take them off, cut off the loop at one end and bend in a new loop, it'll do until you can buy new springs (or as in my case it's been fine for 2 years)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

echomadman posted:

I had to shorten my springs a bit to keep suitable tension on my sidestand as it was cutting the ignition whenever i hit a severe bump.
Take them off, cut off the loop at one end and bend in a new loop, it'll do until you can buy new springs (or as in my case it's been fine for 2 years)

Sounds perfect, thanks!

First thing I did upon reaching my destination was tighten that bolt as much as it would go. Looks like there might be some metal fatigue or something going on, the bike settles down some more as I rest it on the stand every time.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 21, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Check that the mounting bolts haven't vibrated themselves loose as well. Sidestands tend to get a little play in them over time, but the mounting bolts that mount it to the frame should be snug.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I ordered some new clutch/brake levers from http://www.d2moto.com/p-6782-suzuki-katana-gsx-600-750-sv-650-650s-black-brake-and-clutch-levers.aspx because the brake lever tip was broken at the ball from the previous owner's drop. They're cheap and easy to replace, so no biggie. However, both the shifter lever and rear brake pedal are also bent. Those parts aren't so cheap to replace, at least OEM (brake pedal, gear shifter). Is there another place I should look? What about aftermarket?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fangs404 posted:

I ordered some new clutch/brake levers from http://www.d2moto.com/p-6782-suzuki-katana-gsx-600-750-sv-650-650s-black-brake-and-clutch-levers.aspx because the brake lever tip was broken at the ball from the previous owner's drop. They're cheap and easy to replace, so no biggie. However, both the shifter lever and rear brake pedal are also bent. Those parts aren't so cheap to replace, at least OEM (brake pedal, gear shifter). Is there another place I should look? What about aftermarket?

Assuming your SV is an '04+ you can replace the gear shifter with one made for a Hayabusa.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=66786

Not sure about the brake pedal.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

kylej posted:

Assuming your SV is an '04+ you can replace the gear shifter with one made for a Hayabusa.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=66786

Not sure about the brake pedal.

It's an '01. :( I found http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/178119-emgo-8388012-shifters-emgo-forged-aluminum-shift-lever which is much cheaper than OEM, so I'll probably pick that up. But I can't find any non-OEM brake pedal. I may just have to suck it up and buy OEM.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 22, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Fangs404 posted:

I like that price (and I should replace the clutch lever on the SV1), but the last time I ordered something from that place it took them a solid week and a half to get it to me, and I live maybe 10 miles away from them. Maybe I'll call them this time and arrange a pick-up. :v:

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
nm

King Nothing fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 22, 2011

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

sirbeefalot posted:

I like that price (and I should replace the clutch lever on the SV1), but the last time I ordered something from that place it took them a solid week and a half to get it to me, and I live maybe 10 miles away from them. Maybe I'll call them this time and arrange a pick-up. :v:

Maybe it was a fluke? The levers shipped via 1st class mail the day after I ordered them, so they'll likely be here tomorrow.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

And so... whats old is new again.

I started on an SV650S, and traded up until today, when I bought another SV650S.

Pictures will have to come later.

I wanted a bike for the track and that I wouldn't feel bad putting boring commuter miles on. I'm trying to migrate my riding habits to off public road activities as much as I can, so dirt bike, track supermoto and now a track bike.

It's a 2004 SVS, 8,600 miles on the odo

Full hot bodies track plastics w/ gas tank
Full set of original street plastics w/ OEM lower fairing + Gas tank in blue
Bran new Dunlop Qualifier tires
Eibach rear shock and upgraded spring sprung at my weight & stock shock
Revalved & fully adjustable forks
EBC brake pads w/ 2 spare sets
Custom billet aluminum rear sets w/ 2 spare sets
GPR steering stabilizer
Power commander
Yosh exhaust & some straight no baffle GP style exhaust (Graves?) that looks like it would be waaaaay too loud to use
OEM mono tail
Braided lines + Spare braided lines
Extra sets of throttle/clutch cables
Like new tire warmers (used once)
Box of filters
Everything is safety wired
A set of spare clip ons
Spare levers
Stomp grip pads on both tanks
Wired for transponder
Suzuki code reader & shop manual
Clean title
A ton of other odds, ends and spares I'm forgetting, sliders and such.

I'm basically set. I'm going to paint some ridiculous scheme on the track plastics, throw some 'legal enough' lights and signals on there that can be removed at a moments notice for track duty and ride the hell out of this thing.

The bike has been down, and has light scuff on some of the components but it's very minor stuff. There isn't a spec of dirt or grime on it anywhere though, chain and sprockets look immaculate, etc.

I'm so very happy with this find. I neglected to take any photos while the sun was still out though, so that'll have to wait till tomorrow. Can't wait to have a bike for the track that I'm not afraid to crash (I'm looking at you, Ducati).

I might drop a GSXR front end on it, but with all the suspension work I'm going to see how that plays out first. Maybe I'll be happy with a brake upgrade on its own. I'll use the money I was going to put to the front end on my dirt bike instead for a Sumo setup.

$1600

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That GP style exhaust is probably a Leo Vince...those things are $$$. what a goddamn deal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Holy gently caress.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Here I am, ragin at your fuckin retarded deal :arghfist::(

That's completely awesome. poo poo you can barely buy a crashed to hell and back SV for that around here!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Come ride it then!

Now, some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/A3rhs#gc4Bw

Took the lower fairing off for for easy loading into the truck.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I'm sure it has been asked in this thread a million times, but it is tire time for me. I need a rear mainly, but I'm thinking of just getting a set.

Most of my riding is highway and I'd love to look at a harder center dual compound tire. I really know very little about them so give me suggestions! Thanks.

Oh yea, 2006 S model, not that it really matters.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheFonz posted:

I'm sure it has been asked in this thread a million times, but it is tire time for me. I need a rear mainly, but I'm thinking of just getting a set.

Most of my riding is highway and I'd love to look at a harder center dual compound tire. I really know very little about them so give me suggestions! Thanks.

Oh yea, 2006 S model, not that it really matters.

Any sport touring tire is what you want, pick a brand and go. I'm personally a big fan of the Michelin Pilot Road 2s, which can be found for cheap and are awesome tires all around.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Im having a real bastard of a time getting the baffle out of my stock exhaust. I can't get any drill bits to actually get through the top side of the baffle outer ring because the angle caused by the outer pipe and the welds on the baffle just make them skate around everywhere, and the deepest holesaw I have is 44mm which is about 10mm too short. I bought a grinding bit to take off some of the baffle so I can get the holesaw on it but the fucker broke before it took off more than about 2mm. Its seriously frustrating and now no more time to work on it tonight..

Anyone done this before on a Gen 2 and have any advice? Noone seems to have had this issue on the sv forums so clearly im doing something retarded - probably cause I don't really want to crush the tip of the baffle in cause I need to undo it to ride it if I mess it up.. Going to try my angle grinder (currently in the boot of my girlfriends car sitting in the airport parking lot while she's out of town) on it later this week see if it can do it without savaging the outer pipe.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GanjamonII posted:

Im having a real bastard of a time getting the baffle out of my stock exhaust. I can't get any drill bits to actually get through the top side of the baffle outer ring because the angle caused by the outer pipe and the welds on the baffle just make them skate around everywhere, and the deepest holesaw I have is 44mm which is about 10mm too short. I bought a grinding bit to take off some of the baffle so I can get the holesaw on it but the fucker broke before it took off more than about 2mm. Its seriously frustrating and now no more time to work on it tonight..

Anyone done this before on a Gen 2 and have any advice? Noone seems to have had this issue on the sv forums so clearly im doing something retarded - probably cause I don't really want to crush the tip of the baffle in cause I need to undo it to ride it if I mess it up.. Going to try my angle grinder (currently in the boot of my girlfriends car sitting in the airport parking lot while she's out of town) on it later this week see if it can do it without savaging the outer pipe.

Most people just drill the poo poo out of them because they never want to go back to stock.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Z3n posted:

Most people just drill the poo poo out of them because they never want to go back to stock.

Yeah Ive drilled the poo poo out of half it so far. Def not going back to stock, it already sounds about 10x better as is now. I am tempted to just spend $200 and get a delkevic can for it instead of loving about with it any further.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

GanjamonII posted:

probably cause I don't really want to crush the tip of the baffle in cause I need to undo it to ride it if I mess it up.
Don't worry about it. If you completely gently caress it up by, i dunno, crimping the thing shut or something, you can just completely remove the can, and ride around being extra loud and obnoxious with some power loss till you get a replacement.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

GanjamonII posted:

Finally finished cutting the end baffle plate - it was a massive pain. The angle grinder was incredibly fast at removing metal, but it was still about 4-5mm too deep for my holesaw to get through that plate. So I ended up using a hacksaw blade to do the 1/3 or so I couldnt get get with a drill bit.

Then, elated at my success, I started the next phase - hammering a pipe down the exhaust to break off the internal welds. On the second or third stroke of the mallet the handle splintered. drat you $4 harbour freight mallet. I went to a 'real' hardware store and a suitable hammer is about $20.. seeing as I can return the busted mallet I am just gonna get one at HF sometime next weekend. For the moment it sounds alright, especially idling its got a nice bass to it and sounds like a real 'bike'. Sounds poo poo when its revving high so hope removing the baffle entirely helps with that.

This is truly a case of needing the proper tools for the job.. With a deeper holesaw and a good hammer I'd have been done within an hour I think.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

If I am not the worst bike mechanic of all time I'm certainly the slowest. I had an FH008 regulator/rectifier sitting on a shelf for three months before I finally finished installing it this evening. At least I learned a little about soldering in the process. Maybe now I'll be able to ride my bike without leaving it on a trickle charger for several hours every time I turn it off.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

GanjamonII posted:

This is truly a case of needing the proper tools for the job.. With a deeper holesaw and a good hammer I'd have been done within an hour I think.

Finished this a couple days ago. 4lb sledge and pliers got it out in about 5 minutes. It sounds much nicer. I think at higher RPM before the baffle was hitting the side of the can and causing a buzzing sound. With the baffle removed the low RPM ranges sound amazing. Its actually not very loud at all. Definitely louder than stock but still fairly quiet compared to most of the guys I ride with who have after market cans. Higher up in the RPM range its actually hard to tell the difference.. its interesting because at a certain RPM it seems to actually get quieter.. must be something to do with resonant frequencies etc.

There is a delicious popping on deceleration which you can get rid of by disabling the PAIR stuff, but I actually really like it (reminds me of my old alfa romeo) so I'm going to keep it around for a little while before messing with it further.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GanjamonII posted:

There is a delicious popping on deceleration which you can get rid of by disabling the PAIR stuff, but I actually really like it (reminds me of my old alfa romeo) so I'm going to keep it around for a little while before messing with it further.
Mine has extremely loud popping accompanied with a flame when off throttle or rolling back in at high rpms (read: 2nd gear twisties). It's loving :cool: Probably not the best thing for the bike though. :v:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I'm getting ~15.3v at idle, and the battery no longer spontaneously drains itself. I have a working bike again!

The idle is a little rough, but it sounds fine with some throttle. Cleaning carbs sounds as fun as a root canal. If it keeps starting I'll keep riding it as is.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Loucks posted:

If I am not the worst bike mechanic of all time I'm certainly the slowest. I had an FH008 regulator/rectifier sitting on a shelf for three months before I finally finished installing it this evening. At least I learned a little about soldering in the process. Maybe now I'll be able to ride my bike without leaving it on a trickle charger for several hours every time I turn it off.

If you were riding around with a bad R/R but a good stator, you have been cooking your battery. Has it ever smelled like sulphur?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

No sulfur smell at all. I replaced the lovely discount battery the previous owner put into the bike with the proper Yuasa when I first had starting problems and didn't ride it much after that failed to fix the issue. As in less than ten hours.

According to the multimeter the battery wasn't receiving enough power* from the R/R to fully charge at any RPM, which then prevented me from starting without jumping it or plugging in the trickle charger. I don't know much about electronics yet. How would undercharging cook the battery?

If I did manage to destroy the battery I'll just buy a new one. Thanks to this forum I knew from the start that bikes weren't cheap.

edit: * I don't have the numbers handy. They're in a pile of papers somewhere, and I'm much too lazy to go dig around for them now. It was 11.x volts at 5kRPM I think.

edit2: I assume that Techron and similar additives that claim to clean up carbs are a waste of money. Confirm/Deny?

Loucks fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Anyone know anything about front-end swaps on SV1KS? Specifically an 03' SV 1000N.

A good friend of mine had his bike smashed up in a parking lot (it was parked at the time) and it needs new forks/rotor/brakes/wheel so I figured a front-end conversion much like you can do with the SV650 is possible, especially with how expensive the OEM parts are from Suzuki. I mean you can get a front-end for the 650 for $700-900 off a gsxr.

• Locked thread