Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I can't get over how poo poo the GTAIV music selection is, especially after the absolute brilliance of SA.

I know different strokes and all that, but... really? I felt like SA had way too much filler - R&B and "slow jams" are great, but the actual ones they picked for that game were fairly mediocre, and the New Jack Swing station was a nostalgia trip for gamers significantly older than their core audience. The entire Country station, while having several awesome songs, was mostly a gimmick and I'd bet cash money most players never listened to it at all.

The oldschool hip-hop stations had some good stuff, but was also full of odd choices. They got Public Enemy, and went with "Rebel Without a Pause"? Not "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos" which is basically the perfect GTA song? Of all the great Eric B. and Rakim songs, they went with "I Know You Got Soul"? Seriously? Not "Lyrics of Fury"?

I'll give you the Alternative and Classic Rock stations, those were just packed with solid gold and had some fantastic unlikely choices, like Stone Roses and Primal Scream. And this part is probably just me being a snob, but the House station was really limp.

Anyway, all I really want in GTA5 is a Classic Alternative stations that plays like, The Smiths and Joy Division and The Stooges and The Buzzcocks and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doppelganger posted:

Manhunt was unique; in no other game are you being coerced into acting in a snuff film. The scenarios you fight through are contrived, but that fits because there is a psychotic director who has carefully planned everything out. Cash is believable as a relentless killer because he was abducted from the execution chamber. Regardless of one's opinion of how fun the game is, at the very least the atmosphere is consistent.

Manhunt 2 may as well have had a completely different name because aside from the gameplay it has nothing to do, or even in common with the first one.

I completely agree. It was interesting to play through once, but the plot was as hackneyed as you can get. I even recall the "twist" being explicitly stated in previews, and I think even straight from Rockstar. So I knew going in what was up, but they had to pretend it was some big twist. And they went from the cool 70's exploitation film plot of the first game and went into a David Fincher/Eli Roth rip-off for the sequel.

Plus, you play as a mild-mannered, be-spectacled scientist. We know going in that he doesn't want to kill, and yet they make you casually mutilate and brutalize people. Some of the executions are completely unavoidable, so there's no real way to play it non-violently. The whole setting and everything doesn't make sense for the protagonist. It only makes sense if you play the game "too" violently, and you get the ending where it turns out that Leo was completely in control the entire game.

Compare that to the first, like you said. The protagonist is a death-row inmate, he's being told what to do and where to go by a sick film director and the gruesome executions are part of the snuff-film gameplay. It's horrible stuff but it fits and works in the setting. The executions in Manhunt 2 feel completely unnecessary and unbelievable for the character committing them.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Stingly posted:

They also need to turn down cop spawns BIG TIME.
YES.

This is bullshit and not even really funny. I just ran a toll booth. There was a cruiser there, so he took off after me, I shot him, three stars.

Because it was on a highway a roadblock popped right up, a police chopper and some random cars spawned. So in the end, I shot one cop and had a helicopter and NINE cruisers respond within five seconds, no exaggeration.

This game really needs a trainer to make it fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

YES.

This is bullshit and not even really funny. I just ran a toll booth. There was a cruiser there, so he took off after me, I shot him, three stars.

Because it was on a highway a roadblock popped right up, a police chopper and some random cars spawned. So in the end, I shot one cop and had a helicopter and NINE cruisers respond within five seconds, no exaggeration.

I don't think you "get" the point of cops in GTA games.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I can't get over how poo poo the GTAIV music selection is, especially after the absolute brilliance of SA.
Are you kidding me. It's the only game I've ever played with a decent selection of good hardcore, the hipster station kicked rear end, the russian station was incredible and the other stations were just really really great. It's the only GTA game I've played where I haven't gotten sick of the music at any point playing the game.

The only other open world game I've played with a really good diverse soundtrack was Saint's Row 2.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

precision posted:

I know different strokes and all that, but... really? I felt like SA had way too much filler - R&B and "slow jams" are great, but the actual ones they picked for that game were fairly mediocre, and the New Jack Swing station was a nostalgia trip for gamers significantly older than their core audience. The entire Country station, while having several awesome songs, was mostly a gimmick and I'd bet cash money most players never listened to it at all.

The oldschool hip-hop stations had some good stuff, but was also full of odd choices. They got Public Enemy, and went with "Rebel Without a Pause"? Not "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos" which is basically the perfect GTA song? Of all the great Eric B. and Rakim songs, they went with "I Know You Got Soul"? Seriously? Not "Lyrics of Fury"?

I'll give you the Alternative and Classic Rock stations, those were just packed with solid gold and had some fantastic unlikely choices, like Stone Roses and Primal Scream. And this part is probably just me being a snob, but the House station was really limp.

Anyway, all I really want in GTA5 is a Classic Alternative stations that plays like, The Smiths and Joy Division and The Stooges and The Buzzcocks and stuff.

Huh? I was 18/19 when GTASA came out and the New Jack Swing station was a huge nostalgia trip for me and my favorite station. Wasn't I in their target audience at that age?

I think GTASA's soundtrack is wonderfully diverse.

Whalley posted:

Are you kidding me. It's the only game I've ever played with a decent selection of good hardcore, the hipster station kicked rear end, the russian station was incredible and the other stations were just really really great. It's the only GTA game I've played where I haven't gotten sick of the music at any point playing the game.

The only other open world game I've played with a really good diverse soundtrack was Saint's Row 2.

Yeah, you have to have narrow minded tastes as all gently caress to think GTA4's soundtrack selection was poor. I mean seriously. I know different strokes and all but what the gently caress.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I like almost all kinds of music and I think GTA4's music was terrible with the exception of LRR and Vladivostok FM. Every previous GTA had vastly superior music selections that showed a lot more care.

EFLC's music selection is absolute garbage, with the exception again of LRR. I don't think there's a single new song on any other station that is any good.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 24, 2011

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I didn't find GTA IV's music selection to be "bad", just forgettable. I liked most of the stuff I heard, but it blended into the background for the most part. I never had a moment in the game where I'd hear one particularly appropriate song for the situation and start getting riled up, or singing along or anything like that.

Vice City's soundtrack was absolutely amazing, though. Perfectly captured the atmosphere and setting, and every single track was memorable.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Himuro posted:

Better yet, include the Saints Row car garage! The problem with GTA is that you get a great car and you're scared to take it out because if it blows up, it's gone forever.

In Saints Row, any car you put in your garage is automatically saved and kept...FOREVER. If it blows up, you can pay a fee to get it back.

That'd be nice as well. Saint's Row 2 had a really nice reward system going on.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Anybody who didn't know a majority of the songs in GTAIV already, or considers it a weak soundtrack should not be expressing their opinions on music. There are so many classic songs in that game, Zombie by Fela Kuti, Five to One by The Doors, Its The Limit by Cro-Mags, but the real point of the radio in the game was to celebrate and replicate the musical cultures of New York City. When you listen to the hip-hop station it sounds like the real station Hot 97, the classic rock station plays songs you would be hearing on a real classic rock station in NYC at the time the game came out, same with the club poo poo in ballad of gay tony. I always see people complaining about GTAIV because it didn't meet their gamer expectations or whatever but noone seems to understand what Rockstar was trying to do with the game, and that is recreate the experience of being in New York in the mid 2000s.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My problem with the radios in GTA games is the same problem I have with actual radio stations in that there are 3 or 4 songs I really like, and the rest I have no opinion of and don't really want to hear.

It's much easier to just load up Independent FM with stuff I really, actually like and switch all my cars to that.

The Russian station was awesome, though, and reminded me of the years I lived in Ukraine. :3:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
How to not suck at police chases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSIX4aQMUbg

I picked a pretty slow/boaty car, and even got my tire shot out 3/4ths through. If the cops see you on one street they will keep deploying on that street, make a quick turn when they can't see you.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 24, 2011

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tewratomeh posted:

I didn't find GTA IV's music selection to be "bad", just forgettable. I liked most of the stuff I heard, but it blended into the background for the most part. I never had a moment in the game where I'd hear one particularly appropriate song for the situation and start getting riled up, or singing along or anything like that.

Vice City's soundtrack was absolutely amazing, though. Perfectly captured the atmosphere and setting, and every single track was memorable.

GTA4 was the only game where I actually turned off the radio sometimes because I was sick of hearing the same old songs and talky bits. I don't know what went wrong there, but it felt like a lot of songs would repeat constantly. Maybe they were going for radio paylist realism but I didn't like it.

I agree with VC's radio being amazing, and its probably my favorite radio in all of the GTAs.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Is anyone else having problems downloading GTA2 from Rockstar's site? I got the email with the link which just takes me to a white screen.

Nevermind, it worked once I resubmitted the request. The first link that was mailed to me didn't have an ID number, for some reason.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 24, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cage posted:

I picked a pretty slow/boaty car, and even got my tire shot out 3/4ths through. If the cops see you on one street they will keep deploying on that street, make a quick turn when they can't see you.

How did you get rid of the grey filter over everything and get it to look so clean?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Clean? Looks like it's missing shadows and lighting and well, everything really.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

Clean? Looks like it's missing shadows and lighting and well, everything really.

Yeah that is obvious, but somehow he also managed to get rid of the grey filter that is over the game and his colors are actually not shades of grey.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cage posted:

Good chase but it still highlights everything I dislike about GTA4's wanted system. Notice those cop respanws and how long it takes to get out of the circle?

Still, pretty good. Fantastic music choice.

I should get GTA triple pack on steam. I have a feeling I'll enjoy the games A LOT more on pc.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

GAY RETARD posted:

Anybody who didn't know a majority of the songs in GTAIV already, or considers it a weak soundtrack should not be expressing their opinions on music.

I guess that's the reason why I don't like it, I just don't listen to music all that much. I'll admit that they did a very good job selecting an atmospheric soundtrack, I just happen to hate most of it. Maybe going for a less recognizable selection of songs was a better choice, VC and SA had (in my opinion) far better music but hearing well known songs tends to break the bizarro world immersion in GTA, which generally excellent in IV. Then of course they have Ricky Gervais for no reason at all, hating his act is probably less controversial.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Zedd posted:

Yeah that is obvious, but somehow he also managed to get rid of the grey filter that is over the game and his colors are actually not shades of grey.

That's what the PC version looks like with "Definition" on, the contrast turned down a bit, brightness all the way up, and saturation up to around 60-75%.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Himuro posted:

Good chase but it still highlights everything I dislike about GTA4's wanted system. Notice those cop respanws and how long it takes to get out of the circle?

I should get GTA triple pack on steam. I have a feeling I'll enjoy the games A LOT more on pc.

It takes that long to get out of the circle because he has four stars. Depending on how wanted you are, that's how big the circle is. So if you don't want a car chase and you have two stars, it's a small circle and you can get out quickly. Unlike the GTAIII era where if you do anything more than wave at a cop wrong you get two stars and its an instant police chase with cops spawning ahead of you and it turns into three stars and four stars and so on. You can choose whether or not you want to escalate it in IV.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Away all Goats posted:

GTA4 was the only game where I actually turned off the radio sometimes because I was sick of hearing the same old songs and talky bits. I don't know what went wrong there, but it felt like a lot of songs would repeat constantly. Maybe they were going for radio paylist realism but I didn't like it.

I agree with VC's radio being amazing, and its probably my favorite radio in all of the GTAs.

Did you not enjoy Integrity 2.0 when that station came up?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lurchibles posted:

Did you not enjoy Integrity 2.0 when that station came up?

I enjoyed it, but personally I like Maurice Chavez a lot more as a radio host. I'm probably biased though because I honestly played VC for so many hours.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The only radio station I really listened to in GTA4 was The Journey, I found it the least obnoxious to listen to while driving around and the borderline-psychotic computer DJ reminded me of GLADOS from Portal.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 24, 2011

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
One thing I really do love about IV is that it lets you disable people without killing them. I'm pretty much Terminator 2ing the game, sorry about your kneecaps SWAT team.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I think another thing is that by avoiding a lot of popular anthems in GTA IV, it kind of really helped establish a different world from our own. Different songs became popular than what we got in real life, and kind of changed the cultural fabric.

Plus I think it was really admirable to try and get the New York musical culture and, hell, musical culture in general put together without relying on the same standards that they and everyone else have been using for so long.

But the radio restarting thing was pretty drat annoying though. I seriously can not imagine that helped anyone appreciate the soundtrack.

Himuro posted:

Sounds like you have a narrow taste in music, buddy.

I'm glad you said that. I almost always want to but never do.

e:

ElwoodCuse posted:

The best cop spawning ridiculousness was to get a fairly high wanted level in San Andreas and hover just off the edge of a cliff with the jetpack. The police never stop driving at you and going over the cliff.

I have to go install GTA:SA for no reason. Now.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The best cop spawning ridiculousness was to get a fairly high wanted level in San Andreas and hover just off the edge of a cliff with the jetpack. The police never stop driving at you and going over the cliff.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Do any any players from the US or at least English-speaking people of other countries play San Andreas Multiplayer anymore? Not that I ever paid attention to or participated in the chat, but every time I've been on a US server at least (at least) 95% of the people have either insanely high pings or are speaking some language that has characters my chat doesn't even recognize. Or both.

I can barely kill anybody (despite hitting them and blood flying), and the chat looks like this:

[RSVP]eljefe: jajajaj LEHLHRLEJrlflah;drheoa
[LMNOP]jabroni: 40haogno34g00jëÖ!!!!!
[KLR]kill3r: %6^FSLFJlfjljlLFNEERRNNNýÖA

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Zedd posted:

How did you get rid of the grey filter over everything and get it to look so clean?
Using simple native, change the weather to "ExtraSunny2" It basically gets rid of all fog/clouds so you get a perfectly blue sky right around noon. Its also pretty awesome at 22:30, everything is a nice shade of blue.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

That's what the PC version looks like with "Definition" on, the contrast turned down a bit, brightness all the way up, and saturation up to around 60-75%.
Contrast and brightness all the way down, saturation all the way up. Still, the main thing was the weather setting. Definition doesnt do anything but get rid of the blur.

Himuro posted:

You try running fraps with shadows at 1920x1200. :l

Zigmidge posted:

He could have made a 30 second long video by ducking left-right-left-right at every intersection. The cops are idiots in GTA4 and don't have the same kind of infinite respawning advantage they had in the previous three games.
As good as I am I dont think you could loose 4 stars in 30 seconds.

Cage fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 24, 2011

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Himuro posted:

He could have made a 30 second long video by ducking left-right-left-right at every intersection. The cops are idiots in GTA4 and don't have the same kind of infinite respawning advantage they had in the previous three games.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Cage posted:

Contrast and brightness all the way down, saturation all the way up. Still, the main thing was the weather setting. Definition doesnt do anything but get rid of the blur.

Yeah, but getting rid of the blur goes a long way towards making the game look "clean."

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Speaking of gta4 soundtrack, is it :filez: for asking where I can find a complete version of IV's soundtrack including both expansions? Because for the life of me, I can't find anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The problem with having less popular songs in the game is that you can't just jump in a car, throw a station on and be "HELL YES I LOVE THIS SONG" and cause mayhem like you can in VC and SA. Not so much for GTAIII since it was all lesser songs. Or maybe I just didn't know any of the songs in it. I mostly just listened to Chatterbox all day because it was the best station.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The only good radio station in GTAIII was Flash FM. It was nothing but music from Scarface. :colbert:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Kjah was great. I have a soft spot for Lips and Head. Game has good rap.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cojawfee posted:

The problem with having less popular songs in the game is that you can't just jump in a car, throw a station on and be "HELL YES I LOVE THIS SONG" and cause mayhem like you can in VC and SA. Not so much for GTAIII since it was all lesser songs. Or maybe I just didn't know any of the songs in it. I mostly just listened to Chatterbox all day because it was the best station.
Just use Independence FM, thats what its there for!

The only stations I'd bother listening to besides In/FM was jazz nation and fusion.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

The only good radio station in GTAIII was Flash FM. It was nothing but music from Scarface. :colbert:
Flashback FM Goonsir. :eng101:
Also: The classical station.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just installed San Andreas again because it's only five gigs and I'm bored. After having to to the nocd thing to get 1.0 (and seriously, the max res is 1680x1050?) I rediscovered the greatest pastime in all of San Andreas. Getting a tractor or tow truck, hooking something up and just dragging it around.

And while the original start of the game, CJ riding hi bike into grove street, was alright, mine was better. Nothing is more hilarious than CJ in his jeans and wife beater driving a beat up tractor dragging whatever the Bronco equivalent is into his old neighborhood at five in the morning and saying "Grove street, home. At least, until I hosed everything up."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Himuro posted:

Speaking of gta4 soundtrack, is it :filez: for asking where I can find a complete version of IV's soundtrack including both expansions? Because for the life of me, I can't find anything.

I looked around for a long time for some way to rip it like you could do with all the PS2 game discs but never found anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

One thing I really do love about IV is that it lets you disable people without killing them. I'm pretty much Terminator 2ing the game, sorry about your kneecaps SWAT team.
I absolutely love the more detailed impact of gunshots. I remember doing that mission where you go on a date with that gay guy in order to kill him, and taking my time aiming at him with a pistol. Each time I hit him, he'd lurch forward and stumble until he finally just rolled over in the middle of the road. Much cooler looking than a generic "GAAH! *falls over*" death animation.

• Locked thread