Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Muppetjedi posted:

'Don't Scare The Hare' on BBC1 right now.

I don't loving know either .

So Doctor Who is not the freakiest, most disturbing thing on BBC 1 tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
What in the christing gently caress is this thing.

Giant robotic hare. Lasers. Carrots. Frogs. High explosive. Ridiculous glasses.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Muppetjedi posted:

'Don't Scare The Hare' on BBC1 right now.

I don't loving know either .

It's entertaining in that light hearted 80's gameshow throwback sort of way, but when they start doing the "serious presentation" that's taken over modern gameshows it's loving ludicrous because they're saying "You have to collect 3 more carrots from the Hare" as if it's a life or death situation.

It's embarassing to watch those sections but the actual games seem alright.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

I've got Adblock+ and I still get them, or is it just because I switched to Crome over Firefox.

Yeah, the version for Chrome doesn't work for those ads, Firefox version works fine though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Figured I'd share this with you gents as I've been on a bit of a Sharpe binge as of late, but the remastered classic collectors edition is down from £80 to £20 on Amazon. Are there any other good shows UK wised based around this era?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Flipswitch posted:

Figured I'd share this with you gents as I've been on a bit of a Sharpe binge as of late, but the remastered classic collectors edition is down from £80 to £20 on Amazon. Are there any other good shows UK wised based around this era?

Hornblower Hornblower Hornblower.

And uh well. Master And Commander of The Seas. Thats a movie. Blackadder The 3rd?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Well gently caress me, Hornblower complete is £10 from £50! I gave it a quick glance on youtube and I'm hooked already. Cheers SeanBeansShako!

Edit: gently caress me Hornblower is fantastic.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 24, 2011

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Apologies for the shameless self-promotion, honestly, but I figured this would be the thread in which to do it:

My band, Michael A Grammar, is being played on 6Music tonight as part of the BBC Introducing show with Tom Robinson. I think we're on in... roughly ten minutes, so I am leaving this a little late.

But if anyone's up, and fancies listening in and possibly texting sweet nothings to the man about how much you love us, then you have my deepest gratitude.

Move along, everyone.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

On Freeview, at this time of day they have the choice of BBC1, BBC2, CBBC, Cbeebies, News, Parliament and one BBCi/Red Button. I think we can agree that the childrens channels, news and parliament are all non-sta.. Wait a minute. Turn on BBC1 right now; what's that they're showing? That looks like a Mr O'Sullivan with a cue in his hands.

Yeah, they missed the first forty minutes, then showed a few frames, then switched to another match.

The scheduling is so erratic you'd think they were deliberately trying to kill off any interest in the game by making it impossible to actually follow.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I'm rewatching Green Wing (having only caught a few episodes of the first series when it was broadcast). In comparison of course, CAMPUS is incredibly unfunny, though after sticking through it for the first 3 episodes there have been a few more laughs.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Flipswitch posted:

To The Ends Of The Earth is worth a look. A three-part miniseries about a converted man-of-war taking passengers from England to Australia around the time of the Napoleonic wars. I remember thoroughly enjoying it.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

The Perfect Element posted:

Apologies for the shameless self-promotion, honestly, but I figured this would be the thread in which to do it:

My band, Michael A Grammar, is being played on 6Music tonight as part of the BBC Introducing show with Tom Robinson. I think we're on in... roughly ten minutes, so I am leaving this a little late.

But if anyone's up, and fancies listening in and possibly texting sweet nothings to the man about how much you love us, then you have my deepest gratitude.

Move along, everyone.

Roughly what time were you guys on at into the show?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I just caught up with Have I Got News For You and i'm a little taken aback by the greater emphasis put on the no to AV campaign by that smug tory oval office that was on it without any proper response other than Marcus making a joke about it not being that complicated.

She was allowed to rattle off a whole bunch of misinformation regarding it with no appropriate counter (5 minutes of google came up with this for anyone interested) and I would have thought that HIGNFY is the one show that would have typically torn that to pieces. But they didn't.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Kin posted:

I just caught up with Have I Got News For You and i'm a little taken aback by the greater emphasis put on the no to AV campaign by that smug tory oval office that was on it without any proper response other than Marcus making a joke about it not being that complicated.

She was allowed to rattle off a whole bunch of misinformation regarding it with no appropriate counter (5 minutes of google came up with this for anyone interested) and I would have thought that HIGNFY is the one show that would have typically torn that to pieces. But they didn't.

I thought it was pretty odd that there was no counter-argument, but her clearly-prepared speech came across pretty drat badly. It's a shame they didn't properly mock her for it.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Kin posted:

I just caught up with Have I Got News For You and i'm a little taken aback by the greater emphasis put on the no to AV campaign by that smug tory oval office

Smug, Tory and a oval office. But I thought she was hot and I'd let her come first past my post any day

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Kin posted:

God, she was horrible. As soon as they introduced her, I thought "I bet she thinks she's funny", just something about how she carries herself. Then within two minutes, she was making MC Hammer references. Awful.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Brainwrong posted:

Smug, Tory and a oval office. But I thought she was hot and I'd let her come first past my post any day

:golfclap:

Her No2AV schtick was incredibly annoying and I can't believe nobody picked her up on it/

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Just watched the recent Frank Skinners Opinionated. Did anyone else notice that at the end with the Willsandkate stamps, the Kate half was cheaper than the Wills half?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

thehustler posted:

:golfclap:

Her No2AV schtick was incredibly annoying and I can't believe nobody picked her up on it/

They way she trotted out that obviously preprepared statement on it in addition to then dragging it back up again out of nowhere during the fill the blanks round just hammered home that it was the only reason she was on the show that night.

Pretty, not old looking lady-Tory says the AV is bollocks in an attempt to appeal to viewers. :ughh:

I wonder if the producers thought Marcus Brigstocke would put up more of a fight than he did (what with him being on that argument program) but i think someone like Chris Addison should have been on instead. He's someone who appears to be on the ball and not afraid to utterly rip into anyone on TV over this kind of stuff.

Ideally though i'd like to see some actual reporting on the whole AV thing done on the news. I mean, that link i came up with was found after a few minutes and google, i'm sure the news shows pay staff and journalists to do actual research. I guess that would rely on them being honest sources of information though. :smith:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The BBC just seems to have lost it's balls with regards to defending itself or being correct, maybe they'll think they'll get hosed over less if they're nicer?

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Did anyone watch 'United' on BBC2? Brilliant film and tough viewing, I found it genuinely moving - Tennant was fantastic as Jimmy Murphy, the Busby portrayal less so.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Fight Club on Film4 at the minute. Part of their nightly Films for Life series. I havent watched it since it came out and it just occurred to me that Ed Norton's character never says his real name at the beginning. :aaaaa:

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

The BBC just seems to have lost it's balls with regards to defending itself or being correct, maybe they'll think they'll get hosed over less if they're nicer?
Totally and it seams that it's become something of a policy, I heard a lecture from a guy at BBC sport scotland and it was depressing they are just rollin over and accepting huge cuts that are impacting programs, making half hearted excuses and trying to go on. It's going down the pan and nobody is trying to do anything about it and won't until it's far too late.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

JingleBells posted:

Did anyone watch 'United' on BBC2? Brilliant film and tough viewing, I found it genuinely moving - Tennant was fantastic as Jimmy Murphy, the Busby portrayal less so.

I thought it was great, Busby was barely in it to be honest and it was much more focused around Tennant and the actor who played Charlton, both of whom were outstanding. Genuinely moving.

Made me look up Harry Gregg for the first time properly as well, hero.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Carrier posted:

the actor who played Charlton

Jack O'Connell, aka. Cook from Gen 2 of Skins. He really is an amazing actor.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Kin posted:

Fight Club on Film4 at the minute. Part of their nightly Films for Life series. I havent watched it since it came out and it just occurred to me that Ed Norton's character never says his real name at the beginning. :aaaaa:

:ssh: He doesn't have one.

Also my parents got me all hopped up thinking I'd be able to watch The Suspicions of Mr Whicher already. I am going to be mightly sad if it sucks.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Rolled Cabbage posted:

:ssh: He doesn't have one.

Yeah, it took me looking it up on imdb last night to realise his character is just called "The Narrator". It blew my mind to only realise that just now.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

All the AV stuff annoys me a little as people in general go 'AH YEAH ITS BORING AND COMPLICATED', when it's not really either of those things. I wish it was covered more rather than the royal wedding, which ended up getting about 12 minutes in HIGNFY. I used to really love the BBC but in the last few months they've dropped the ball a few times and the whole not-fighting-murdoch thing is getting a little pathetic. The BBC is the media equivalent of the NHS, something which a lot of countries want but it's not really economically viable to begin in the present day. For them to carve it up so much is a shame.

As for the royal wedding, what are people doing for it? If anything? I don't give a poo poo and it's on a bit too early to start drinking so I'll probably give it a miss.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

justcola posted:

As for the royal wedding, what are people doing for it? If anything? I don't give a poo poo and it's on a bit too early to start drinking so I'll probably give it a miss.

I am at work. Meh.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I could be working, not sure if anyone else will turn up at the musuem where I work at though.

I will not be at the poo poo 'block party' all the dregs of the local estate will turn up for thats for sure.

It is not like they need Royalty to be wed to be obnoxious drunk tossers in public any other day now.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

justcola posted:

I'm working and in Glasgow, which is apparently the one city in the UK that isn't having any sort of official celebration/street party thing.

I'm not sure if it's pure apathy or some sort of defiant anti-monarchy sentiment on the councils' part, but I like it anyway.

Also, The Suspicions of Mr Whicher is on ITV tonight, I would encourage everyone to take a look. It's a true story about the investigation of fairly famous murder in Victorian England by Scotland Yards' finest detective. The book it's based on is excellent and it stars Paddy Considine and Peter Capaldi, both of whom are wonderful.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Irisi posted:

Also, The Suspicions of Mr Whicher is on ITV tonight, I would encourage everyone to take a look. It's a true story about the investigation of fairly famous murder in Victorian England by Scotland Yards' finest detective. The book it's based on is excellent and it stars Paddy Considine and Peter Capaldi, both of whom are wonderful.

The book was pretty good even though the author seemed to get a terrible case of logorrhea towards the end.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 25, 2011

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

justcola posted:

As for the royal wedding, what are people doing for it? If anything?

Absolutely nothing. It's not like it's the moon landing or anything historically worthwhile. It's just two irrelevant people getting married in a really fancy way.

I'm pretty sure most people feel the same way and i wonder what the overall stats would be for a poll of people on whether they give a toss or not.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kin posted:

I'm pretty sure most people feel the same way and i wonder what the overall stats would be for a poll of people on whether they give a toss or not.

Most people answer would be 'no, but I'm still gettin drunk as gently caress anyway'

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We all know how it is going to end anyway we remember the first series well :v:.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I could be working, not sure if anyone else will turn up at the musuem where I work at though.

Museum staff working every bank holiday for ever (except today somehow) :cool::respek::cool:

I can't decide if we'll be busy because everyone is off work, or quiet because they're all watching the telly and getting pissed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

justcola posted:

I was planning on running some sims, maybe sketching the outline of a paper.

Benzene
Feb 1, 2007
So viel Spaß für wenig Geld.

Rarity posted:

Most people answer would be 'no, but I'm still gettin drunk as gently caress anyway'

This is pretty much the consensus for the entire exchange student community here in Germany. It's an excuse accepted by the university to skip lectures and the local Irish bar is showing it on full screen, making it the one day where it's socially acceptable to start drinking before noon. Cheers.

On a television related note, we wept salty tears of joy when we discovered someone was uploading Eastenders on Youtube now. Dead baby pass the parcel can continue!

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Properly couldn't give a gently caress - so will be making most of long weekend to go camping in France with my girlfriend. :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I wonder if the Anarchists/Religious Protestors who've been threatening to tear poo poo up will actually bother turning up too?

We'll all be so pissed if something hilarious happens live and we didn't watch it unfold.