Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, uh, about those "children"...

:shobon:

:ninja:

He would murder his wife (or wives) and have the children placed in orphanages, where they would be picked up by Loki once they became teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Nullkigan posted:

It's probably be asked before somewhere in the thread, but is there any chance of getting movement lines/arrows on the maps? It'd be much, much easier to visualise things that way.

Even a 1px wide freehand squiggle done in mspaint would be helpful.
Yeah, I brought it up after the first map[s] where posted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They don't show up well, and they have the potential to obscure quite a bit; but I won't shoot this down--if people want it, I'll include them.
Yes, absolutely.

Please give it at least a try. If it sucks, we'll tell you. :v:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, uh, about those "children"...

:shobon:

:ninja:

well, he did father that dwarf that killed him IIRC.

Also: DI, is that chance to choose the next ad still open? If it is, I would like to see an ad for the Hollander.

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 24, 2011

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why does the bright moon make shooting more difficult? You would think it would be the other way around.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Arglebargle III posted:

Why does the bright moon make shooting more difficult? You would think it would be the other way around.

The penalty is worse without a full moon.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

A bright moon still isn't as illuminating as direct sunlight, hence the penalty to gunnery rolls.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
There are also rules for searchlights, but I don't think PTN is using them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Xmas Future posted:

There are also rules for searchlights, but I don't think PTN is using them.

I am, but nothing on the field is "equipped" with one.

Also, bright searchlight + fog = bad.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm surprised they're not LosTech.

Does anyone know if there's some sort of comprehensive list of what's considered LosTech in this crazy game universe outside of game mechanics?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

paragon1 posted:

Does anyone know if there's some sort of comprehensive list of what's considered LosTech in this crazy game universe outside of game mechanics?

Comprehensive lists.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mukaikubo posted:

Comprehensive lists.

Sooo....yes? No? Turkey sandwich?

What am I missing here?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

paragon1 posted:

As of 3032 and things we have today? Guided artillery, the Internet, general purpose computers (technically not lostech but rare), laser designators (although that might be due to TAG-capable weapons falling out of favor), unguided rocket pods, and low-profile personal electronics.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

paragon1 posted:

What am I missing here?

think about it this way: when Roomba's are lostech, but 3D TV isn't, it's hard to list everything.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

paragon1 posted:

What am I missing here?

Comprehensive lists are lostech. Sorry.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

MJ12 posted:

unguided rocket pods
I didn't think rockets were lostech, it was just that the periphery factions can't really build anything better, so they can throw a bunch of rocket pods for cheap on if they build a new mech.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

Comprehensive lists are lostech. Sorry.

Heh, I am almost afraid to ask, but is indoor plumbing lostech as well?
I do not want to know the answer to that question, do I?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mukaikubo posted:

Comprehensive lists.

In the humanity's grimdark future, only genetically engineered super-warriors and a cult to long-lost technology have access to detailed lists of everything that humanity has lost.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

landcollector posted:

Heh, I am almost afraid to ask, but is indoor plumbing lostech as well?
I do not want to know the answer to that question, do I?

It's worse than you think. In the Periphery, outhouses were LosTech until the Helm Memory Core incident occured. And in this timeline, it never will.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
General Guidelines to Determine Lostech Status

1. Everything is lostech.
2. Even if something is not lostech, it's still lostech.

I think that about covers everything, yes?

Terror storm
Oct 23, 2010

Your head is worth nothing,
and that's a good thing.

quote:

H2 COM-2D Commando

Mechwarrior Player: Agent Interrobang

Um am I still controlling the commando or is this a mistake?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

W.T. Fits posted:

General Guidelines to Determine Lostech Status

1. Everything is lostech.
2. Even if something is not lostech, it's still lostech.

I think that about covers everything, yes?

Guidelines are LosTech.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Guidelines are LosTech.

LosTech protomemes are LosTech.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

the JJ posted:

LosTech protomemes are LosTech.

The greatest philosopher of the 30th century theorized that one day even LosTech would become LosTech and humanity would transcend beyond our primitive concepts of our own primitiveness but unfortunately his texts were confiscated and destroyed...

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

elitebuster posted:

think about it this way: when Roomba's are lostech, but 3D TV isn't, it's hard to list everything.

There's probably some workmech with the same appearance and functionality as a Roomba, but is a couple of meters across.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TildeATH posted:

The greatest philosopher of the 30th century theorized that one day even LosTech would become LosTech and humanity would transcend beyond our primitive concepts of our own primitiveness but unfortunately his texts were confiscated and destroyed...

By garbage men.

I'm saying he accidentally threw them in the trash.

Or that he los:downsrim:

(Comstar were the garbage men)

Edit: Still no luck with mechwarrior 2. Tried disabling all cd audio but then I just get a black screen that eventually crashes :('

Edit 2: Somewhat fixed. Installing it and choosing to run via software helped (emulating 3d drivers is apparently a crazy business), though the game is still bugging out from time to time. Still managed to finish the first few missions.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 24, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

elitebuster posted:

well, he did father that dwarf that killed him IIRC.

Also: DI, is that chance to choose the next ad still open? If it is, I would like to see an ad for the Hollander.

Hollander it is. Though I'm not sure if I should wait until the Gauss rifle is introduced?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Terror storm posted:

Um am I still controlling the commando or is this a mistake?

Whoops, yeah. That's a mistake. My bad.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Whoops, yeah. That's a mistake. My bad.

Maybe they're both piloting it. It's got two legs, right? Two pilots, trained from birth to operate the rare biped mech designed in secret to outgun and outweigh the unipeds.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Defiance Industries posted:

Hollander it is. Though I'm not sure if I should wait until the Gauss rifle is introduced?
You could wait for the heavy gauss Hollander, all you'd have to write is "BOOM"

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

elitebuster posted:

Also: to Shadow, when is Lestrade ever not planning to assasinate the Archon? That's his "thing".

You're right, I'm slacking. It's my place in life to come up with wild and crazy theories, not postulate the entirely probable.

Okay, new speculation. It turns out that Archon Melissa, that sweet young thing, is in fact not of the heterosexual inclination, and her sweetheart, a pretty, petite young thing with the secret last name of Kurita, just happens to be in this nightclub trying to party hard and pretend she and Melissa have a happy future together.

LOKI have been sent to kidnap her so Lestrade can dangle her life by a thread as a means to controlling Melissa, only they have no idea what she looks like, so they're DNA-testing every girl in the nightclub. This is buying Heimdall time to draw out the Loki 'mechs, because the LOKI getaway driver is actually a Heimdall plant. If the 'mechs are gone, he can shoot the guards with a pistol hidden in the getaway car and deliver young Ms. Kurita safe in to the arms of her lover, followed by Duke Lestrade's prompt secret arrest and execution by Heimdall.

Also, Lestrade has a secret motivation for this kidnapping. He's furious that Melissa found a true love, and wants to ruin that. If the players flub this mission and the girl gets delivered to Lestrade, they can take another mission to rescue her. The amount of mental trauma she suffers is dependent upon how long it takes them to get their murder on all over Lestrade's personal guards.

AtomikKrab posted:

so if he managed to become archon he'd plot to kill himself?

Most likely, yes. After all, if he's planning to assassinate himself, he'll be able to predict when the non-him assassins will be coming for him.

TildeATH posted:

I've forgotten spotting rules. Can someone walk me through them again. Is it a combination of movement penalties or just the penalties of the spotter or the firer? Is firer even a word?

"Shooter" would be an even better word. It's basically the penalties of both the spotter and shooter.

Also, I doubt PTN would allow for spotting in this scenario, given that the four 'mechs are not in actual contact with one another save by hand signals.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Technically, I believe all vehicles and 'mechs have searchlights included at no extra weight or crit slots taken. But yeah, searchlights wouldn't work out so hot in fog. (On the other hand, they could easily be used to blind an opponent in fog.)

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Maybe LOKI just wants to dance.

Maybe we're the real bad guys :(

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Xmas Future posted:

There are one of two things happening in that nightclub if LOKI is dancing.

1: Disco
2: Breakdancing.

Either is a crime against the Ares Conventions and deserving of a strike by Heimdall.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

TildeATH posted:

Maybe they're both piloting it. It's got two legs, right? Two pilots, trained from birth to operate the rare biped mech designed in secret to outgun and outweigh the unipeds.
We'll all be doomed when they perfect three-legged mech technology.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Xmas Future posted:

Maybe we're the real bad guys :(

Oh my God, does that mean I should spend my next turn inventorying the regalia and insignia of our unit?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

TildeATH posted:

Oh my God, does that mean I should spend my next turn inventorying the regalia and insignia of our unit?

Yes. Yes, you should.

We may, in fact, be the baddies. But don't worry. If we're marching under the banner of a skull, then LOKI are most assuredly marching under the banner of the anuses of a dozen rats all of whom have been suffering from gastrointestinal upset.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 25, 2011

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Yes. Yes, you should.

We may, in fact, be the baddies. But don't worry. If we're marching under the banner of a skull, then LOKI are most assuredly marching under the banner of the anuses of a dozen rats all of whom have been suffering from gastrointestinal upset.

Oh thank God!

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

TildeATH posted:

:confused: :eek: :gonk: :crossarms: :keke: :neckbeard:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

eheheheehheeheeeheee that is perfect

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yes, that would be an appropriate banner for Loki if they ever 'signed' anything.

You know it's Loki a Loki op because all the serial numbers have been filed off; and the serial numbers of the tools used to file the serial numbers off have also been filed off; and the second set of tools was 'lost' out an airlock.

Also, because that Jumpship in orbit blew all of its helium seals simultaneously and was somehow flooded with a deadly neurotoxin.

Since killing the crew and "temporarily" disabling a Jumpship isn't a violation of the Ares convention. Technically.

Also, since the Kurita captain of that Jumpship left a perfectly-written note in German describing his decision to sabotage his own ship and murder his own crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I'm starting to like these Loki. :downs:

Sounds like something from :twentyfour:

• Locked thread