Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ok this game is even funnier looking back now, but not for the writing of the game.

*Sweet careens around a corner in his car*
Sweet: Hurry up CJ! Get in the car!
*slides over to passenger seat and waits patiently*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Ok this game is even funnier looking back now, but not for the writing of the game.

I absolutely love that no matter how awful of a driver I was (and I was pretty drat awful), everyone would always say "CJ you drive!"

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Himuro posted:

In Saints Row, any car you put in your garage is automatically saved and kept...FOREVER. If it blows up, you can pay a fee to get it back.

GTA needs this. I remember there was some mission in IV where you get this awesome-rear end Ferrari type car as a reward and I could never find where it was parked again after it disappeared when I went into a mission.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

CVagts posted:

I absolutely love that no matter how awful of a driver I was (and I was pretty drat awful), everyone would always say "CJ you drive!"
They do sorta touch on this later when you meet the two stoner mechanics.

Dwayne: So uh, CJ... I notice you kinda go through a lot of cars...
CJ: And? Your point?
Dwayne: Well see, there's this driving school in the area, and uh...
CJ: :mad:
Dwayne: Uh, nevermind. Forget I said anything.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wait, there's people who actually like IV's soundtrack? Outside of VFM and The Journey I can't say that I found any of the stations to have had memorable music. SA and VC were much better (and III would have been too if its tracks weren't so short.) The total lack of country music outside of SA has been extremely disappointing. I know its not a real good fit for the urban settings but a huge group of people listen to that stuff and if its given a good track list (K Rose only had one bomb, in my opinion) its would really be a positive contribution.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The infernus? I think there's only one in GTAIV or they are really rare. They show up more in the episodes.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Doppelganger posted:

They do sorta touch on this later when you meet the two stoner mechanics.

Dwayne: So uh, CJ... I notice you kinda go through a lot of cars...
CJ: And? Your point?
Dwayne: Well see, there's this driving school in the area, and uh...
CJ: :mad:
Dwayne: Uh, nevermind. Forget I said anything.

One of the Grove street crew (the one that looks like Eazy-E, I forget his name) always rips on you for driving like a maniac too.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Cliff Racer posted:

(K Rose only had one bomb, in my opinion)

Which song? That station reminded me that country music doesn't have to be crap. I liked going for pedestrian-smearing joyrides with "Crazy" by Willie Nelson as the soundtrack.

One thing I've done occasionally is dump the stations from GTA2 into the custom playlist station in the later games. "God Bless All The Universe," "Taxi Drivers Must Die," and "The Diner" are all fun.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

The infernus? I think there's only one in GTAIV or they are really rare. They show up more in the episodes.

Yeah. I assumed once I earned it it would always be parked in the same place, but I could never find it again.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

There is a luxury car dealer on Algonquin somewhat south of the middle bridge.

War Pig
Nov 14, 2007

Civilization is crumbling.

Cage posted:

How to not suck at police chases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSIX4aQMUbg

I picked a pretty slow/boaty car, and even got my tire shot out 3/4ths through. If the cops see you on one street they will keep deploying on that street, make a quick turn when they can't see you.

I love the dive on the jump at the end!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Zedd posted:

There is a luxury car dealer on Algonquin somewhat south of the middle bridge.

The two story one with the big windows? I loved driving cars out of those.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Discount Viscount posted:

Which song? That station reminded me that country music doesn't have to be crap. I liked going for pedestrian-smearing joyrides with "Crazy" by Willie Nelson as the soundtrack.

New York City, or whatever its title was. It was super slow and whiney and it lasted forever, I pretty much changed the station whenever it came on.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

robot roll call posted:

The two story one with the big windows? I loved driving cars out of those.
Thats the one.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

They ride you so hard for your lovely driving but they're always like,"Let CJ drive!"

poo poo is hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cliff Racer posted:

Wait, there's people who actually like IV's soundtrack? Outside of VFM and The Journey I can't say that I found any of the stations to have had memorable music.

LCD Soundsystem, Sisters of Mercy, The Stooges, Nitzer Ebb, Aphex Twin... well, alright, I suppose I can see how people who are mostly into mainstream music wouldn't like it? That's not some hipster-snob statement, either, it's just the only thing I can think of.

Ironically the station they most dropped the ball with was the "dedicated" Alternative station. If this was NYC in the mid-00s why am I not hearing TV On the Radio, The Liars, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, A Place To Bury Strangers, The Strokes, Interpol, The National, etc.?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Not to mention Fela Kuti, Philip Glass, Nas at Live at the BBQ...

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Himuro posted:

Not to mention Fela Kuti, Philip Glass, Nas at Live at the BBQ...

That Philip Glass song was amazing when you were driving around in a thunderstorm.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
that song might as well be GTAIV's main theme because when I think of GTAIV, musically, I think of Pruit Igoe.

The reveal trailer for IV is so ingrained in my mind. One of my most anticipated games of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlF6fbIFiCM

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 25, 2011

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I personally loved GTAIV's soundtrack. Its my second favorite GTA soundtrack behind Vice City. I thought it captured the feel of post 9-11 America perfectly, especially the crazy, right-wing, conservative station with the terrorist alerts.

How can you not like cruising around to Heart, Fleetwood Mac, and Phil Collins?

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009
GTA4's soundtrack I thought was very hit and miss. Talk radio, alright. Journey, fantastic, and I like its robot DJ. I love Massive B, mostly because I was just getting into dancehall when the game hit, and now some of its songs are my favorites.

The rest though.. I heard one good Genesis song, one mediocre Heart song, that's it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Lost And The Damned ruined Liberty City Hardcore in my opinion. Pre-LATD, you'd hear Cro-Mags and Bad Brains and Murphy's Law and post-LATD all I heard was loving Cannibal Corpse and Sepultura and ugh, Bathory :mad:

Radio Broker, on the other hand, got turned from "pretty loving awesome radical" to "i never change the station." Hearing Magic Dirt start playing made this huge loving grin break out on my face and Japanther were my favorite band at the time of the DLC's release.

Dammit, I want to go and get GTA4 again now :mad:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I too, am tempted. It will be the third time I've bought it. For all my criticisms I still really like the game. When it came out I spent 50 hours playing it and hadn't even reached the third island.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger

Himuro posted:

I too, am tempted. It will be the third time I've bought it. For all my criticisms I still really like the game. When it came out I spent 50 hours playing it and hadn't even reached the third island.

I'm with you on this.

For all the crap IV got for not being "GTA", it was still a fun game. Sure it had its share of problems, but GTA III wasn't a home run either. The first GTA on a new console is always the weakest of the bunch.

I have faith in R* to improve with GTAV.

Boris the Blade fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 25, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
When I first got GTAIV, I thought the controls were so good. But now that I've played Uncharted 1/2, Mass Effect 2, and more I think they're awful. :( That is the biggest obstacle for me playing GTAIV.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Every once in a while I start up GTAIV and play through the first missions. It's fun just to mess around in the game because of the physics. I started up San Andreas again and the cars feel like they have no weight. And the jerky driving style of a keyboard kind of fits the jagged roads in the game. I never realized how hosed up the roads are. They just instantly change grade in 30 degree increments. Then there was this really steep road in vinewood that went no where. I definitely prefer GTAIV. It's fun to get in and just drive around.

I don't think I'm going to get far in San Andreas since I already played through it before and did all I could. Probably just make a fat CJ.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I think that the begining of GTAIV is fantastic. The entire section in Broker, up till the destruction of Roman's apartment and business was a blast. I loved that entire section. I liked the Bronx (whatever IV's equivalent is) with Elizabeta too. It wasn't until Patty and Algonquin that I felt the game started to peter out.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
It was pretty cool calling the cops to come deal with the missions where you had to kill a bunch of people in open spaces while you sat in your car listening to the radio, watching.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Himuro posted:

I think that the begining of GTAIV is fantastic. The entire section in Broker, up till the destruction of Roman's apartment and business was a blast. I loved that entire section. I liked the Bronx (whatever IV's equivalent is) with Elizabeta too. It wasn't until Patty and Algonquin that I felt the game started to peter out.

I'm not sure what they were going for exactly, but goddamn it seemed like the missions involving the Irish family were never going to end. And it really didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the game very well, tone-wise. I'd have preferred more Brucie and Little Jacob than suddenly being dropped into an entire family's worth of soap opera troubles.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Those Irishmen never shut the gently caress up either. Start mission. Cutscene dialogue. Begin mission. Get in car. "hey let's talk for five minutes!" so I just sit in the car waiting for them to stop talking because it's hard to drive and listen to them yammer at the same time. Okay, NOW begin mission.

Holy poo poo.

And the crazy chick who doesn't let Niko gently caress her?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
But they gave us "Four Leaf Clover", the mission that channels the movie "Heat".

They can be forgiven just for that, right?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
That mission was 'aight.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That mission reminds me of one thing they got right in this game is the sound. Especially if you had a surround sound setup. Hearing explosions and sirens coming from a few blocks away was really cool. And even the little stuff like after driving your car and getting out, if you shut the engine off (hold exit button instead of tapping) you'll hear those little ticks you hear with a real engine.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
Another complaint I don't get is with Liberty City. Sure, it didn't have different quests or mini-games throughout it like previous GTAs, but it was the only sandbox game with a world that actually felt alive. People actually do real life activities, from fixing cars, doing yoga in the park, talking on cell phones, to the police arresting criminals rather than turning them into Swiss cheese.

Cage posted:

And even the little stuff like after driving your car and getting out, if you shut the engine off (hold exit button instead of tapping) you'll hear those little ticks you hear with a real engine.

Yeah, the little touches in IV are ridiculous.

One of my favorite moments is when Niko is waiting for Roman in the car and the cellphone rings there's actually speaker interference.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cage posted:

But they gave us "Four Leaf Clover", the mission that channels the movie "Heat".

Yes and no. Yes, that mission is awesome. But it's very long and very difficult (I personally found it the hardest in the game). So no, having to do the whole thing over 4 times because you got hosed up near the end was not awesome.

GTA5 needs checkpoints SO HARD.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

precision posted:

Yes and no. Yes, that mission is awesome. But it's very long and very difficult (I personally found it the hardest in the game). So no, having to do the whole thing over 4 times because you got hosed up near the end was not awesome.

GTA5 needs checkpoints SO HARD.

This is how I feel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It should have checkpoints, since RDR has checkpoints.

Who's that handsome devil?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/AndrewCoja/screenshot/540640198831584549/

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 25, 2011

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Hey you with the blue car chase, you got a trainer, you cheatin. :colbert:

Tips for getting away from cops:
1. Never drive in a straight line.
2. Side streets are your friend.
3. Never drive in a straight line.
4. Never drive on the same road for more than 3 blocks.
4. Never drive in a straight line.
5. Never drive in a straight line.
6. Turn corners a lot.
> 6a. Brake early. High speed and tight corners do not mix.
> 6b. Use handbrake often.
7. Never drive in a straight line.
8. Never say never.

And since when could you tow stuff with a tractor in San Andreas?! Holy crap, they actually aren't 100% entirely, genuinely useless.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 25, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Cage posted:

That mission is awesome. The suits, the constant gunbattles, the EVERYTHING.

I want more missions like that where it's just white knuckle tension and gunplay. GTA V has to have more of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

nerdly_dood posted:

Hey you with the blue car chase, you got a trainer, you cheatin. :colbert:
I used it for the weather and to spawn the car. :l

And to change it to that pretty blue. :ese:

• Locked thread