Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.

The Dark Wind posted:

Sylenth1 is always a good choice. For that kind of music, maybe Massive and Absynth might be up your alley? As for acoustic drums, I think Superior Drummer (with The Metal Foundry) sounds way better than Drumkit from Hell, but that's just me. Also check out the Steven Slater Drums. I've never used them but I have a friend who swears by them.

I've downloaded the demo for Massive and been messing around with it. I'll do the same for Absynth, and in the mean time use the Reason synths and Synth1 to learn.

I really need to sit down and learn how to play keys though. I basically think in guitar and play piano, and noodle around. Not the most productive method lol.

I've noted the drum program names, thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Throwing in massive support for The Glue. Instantly became my go-to bus compressor.

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 10, 2017

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

An0 posted:

I've downloaded the demo for Massive and been messing around with it. I'll do the same for Absynth, and in the mean time use the Reason synths and Synth1 to learn.

I really need to sit down and learn how to play keys though. I basically think in guitar and play piano, and noodle around. Not the most productive method lol.

I've noted the drum program names, thanks :)

You don't need to play keys to get into electronic music production. I sure as heck couldn't play, but over time I learned just from making music and messing around.

Definitely give Sylenth1 a go, if anything, i would vouch for this as being the number one go-to production tool.

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.

E1M5 posted:

You don't need to play keys to get into electronic music production. I sure as heck couldn't play, but over time I learned just from making music and messing around.

Definitely give Sylenth1 a go, if anything, i would vouch for this as being the number one go-to production tool.

Yeah but it sure helps to record ideas without fiddling in the midi editor for 15min after ! And just general musical well-being :)

I'll be downloading the Sylenth1 demo as well.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

The Dark Wind posted:

So today I was on DJTechTools and started reading up about the whole Porter Robinson story, so it got me inspired to open up Ableton and try to make some electro house...

For what it's worth, I really dig the sound in this. I'm not really feeling the breakdown that starts around 3.15, somehow that doesn't seem to quite fit with the rest of the tune, but most of it is pretty goddamn nice.

I think the track has quite a similar vibe than one of my favourite electro house tunes, Disco Ballistic from Lazy Rich. Gritty, groovy and awesome.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Follow That Fish! posted:

For what it's worth, I really dig the sound in this. I'm not really feeling the breakdown that starts around 3.15, somehow that doesn't seem to quite fit with the rest of the tune, but most of it is pretty goddamn nice.

I think the track has quite a similar vibe than one of my favourite electro house tunes, Disco Ballistic from Lazy Rich. Gritty, groovy and awesome.

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. Porter Robinson actually tweeted about this post a few weeks ago, either him or his brother or someone is lurking around these forums. :tinfoil:

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

An0 posted:

Yeah but it sure helps to record ideas without fiddling in the midi editor for 15min after ! And just general musical well-being :)

I'll be downloading the Sylenth1 demo as well.

True, although I just use my midi keyboard to lay down ideas and chords, then manually put them into the editor :b To each his own - although I'll admit playing can be really helpful when it comes to live shoes (if you're into that sort of thing).

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
If any of you guys use Ableton, watch this video. Not sure if it's been posted yet or if I should post this in the Ableton thread, but either way this technique is brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka39zTpPpFc&feature=player_embedded#at=126

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
Thaaat's the poo poo. I use Live Suite.

RoboTiio
Dec 29, 2007
ointernet!

Holy crap, that's crafty as balls! This is making me think I really ought to convert my custom drum racks into Sampler instruments, & gives me some good ideas. Drum rack is nice for those huge 80 sample large Latin kits, but I rarely go past 16-20 drum samples (layered into 8 or 10 distinct noises) in a given song.

Definitely gonna experiment with this one, good looking out.

edit: wtf you can drop Samplers into Drum Rack? I feel like an idiot, but I am also impressed as hell with ableton, as usual. drat.

RoboTiio fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 10, 2011

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

E1M5 posted:

To add to this, it's worth getting a keyboard even if you don't know how to play it - just being able to dink out a few notes while your mouse is otherwise occupied is great for workflow, and you can usually get in the ballpark of what you want and fix it in the editor later.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

RoboTiio posted:

Holy crap, that's crafty as balls! This is making me think I really ought to convert my custom drum racks into Sampler instruments, & gives me some good ideas. Drum rack is nice for those huge 80 sample large Latin kits, but I rarely go past 16-20 drum samples (layered into 8 or 10 distinct noises) in a given song.

Definitely gonna experiment with this one, good looking out.

edit: wtf you can drop Samplers into Drum Rack? I feel like an idiot, but I am also impressed as hell with ableton, as usual. drat.

This is honestly why I could never use any other DAW besides Ableton. There are just so many things you can do to switch up your process and do super interesting things. In particular I loving love Drum Rack and I've never seen anything close to it in any other DAW, so I'd be hard-pressed to learn Logic Pro (which is all the rage around here) or anything else.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I've learned Reason, Logic, ProTools, and Live. IMO, Live is the best. It's just powerful.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't want to start a huge Live circlejerk, but learning Live reminded me of starting out with Photoshop. There's so many ways to do any one thing it's absolutely nuts. It's alarmingly deep.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

I've got a few weeks to play around so thought I'd try my hand at making some music as a total novice trying to prevent boredom, and doing things on the cheap.

I have an old copy of Reason 3.0 my sister gave me, and *think* all I need is a midi controller. I'm looking at an m-audio oxygen 25 as something that might be suitable - basically a 25 note keyboard with some other knobs and buttons to control extra things.

My questions are:
1) Is that a decent controller to get started, or should I be looking at something else as the de-facto best choice at that price range?

2) Will the software be enough to get me started on a budget and learn something off the bat? The system specs are pretty low, but I'm also worried about whether I can get away with running it on a netbook (asus 901, so an atom 1.6 with 2GB ram).

3) Is there anything else I should think about doing/buying to get me started?

Sorry if these questions are too basic - I read the OP but happy to be pointed to more reading I should be looking at. :)

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
I wouldn't really recommend making any further investment and would advise you to learn the software and use the current hardware you have.

The Oxygen 25 should be good enough for starting music production, and if you ever really do get into it and intend to do live shows, you'll probably want to upgrade your hardware around that time.

The system requirements for reason 3.0 are as follows and I think you should be ok:

quote:

Propellerhead Reason 3.0 System Requirements

PC: Intel Pentium 2 or better, 233 MHz or faster, 64 Megabytes of RAM, CD-ROM drive, Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP (or later,) 256 color monitor (or better), 800x600 or larger, A 16 bit Windows compatible audio card, preferably with an ASIO or DirectX driver, Microsoft DirectX (if supported by the card), A MIDI interface and a MIDI keyboard (or similar)

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Was messing around with pitching down voices in Live, made this dumb brostep thing w/ my homegirl rapping. Tough to get Reason to make decent sounding wobbles. Dumb but fun:

http://soundcloud.com/jmersere/no-money

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Can I get some recommendations for a MIDI controller? I want to mix multi-track recordings and sequence IDM/breakcore/noise music, so I'd like some sliders and knobs, maybe some pads, and some keys (quality not incredibly important). I'd like to keep things around €200 if possible.

e: seems there are a lot of small controllers aimed at laptop users, are these any use? Looking at the Korg Nano series or the Akai LPD8

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 14, 2011

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Thought people in here might be interested in the open spark project, since we're looking for skilled MIDI artists for our show. See this thread for details on it. We're currently trying to get official collaboration from groups like 8 Bit Collective and such, but I'm sure there are people here who would jump at the opportunity to throw some midi tracks on tesla coils.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

the wizards beard posted:

Can I get some recommendations for a MIDI controller? I want to mix multi-track recordings and sequence IDM/breakcore/noise music, so I'd like some sliders and knobs, maybe some pads, and some keys (quality not incredibly important). I'd like to keep things around if possible.

e: seems there are a lot of small controllers aimed at laptop users, are these any use? Looking at the Korg Nano series or the Akai LPD8

I got an Axiom Pro 25 for around that.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
New track... I think I'm improving with each one, and the comments in here have been immensely helpful. Let me know what you think!

http://soundcloud.com/eyetooth/house-food

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

KryonikMessiah posted:

I got an Axiom Pro 25 for around that.

Does the axiom pro have those horrible click knobs like the regular axiom. If so avoid. Huge stepping on filter sweeps unless you use a fader.

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 10, 2017

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Volvagia posted:

Was messing around with pitching down voices in Live, made this dumb brostep thing w/ my homegirl rapping. Tough to get Reason to make decent sounding wobbles. Dumb but fun:

That's really loving cool dude. Very MIA.

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
Which MPC-esque drum VSTs are you guys using? Up until now I've just been putting my drum samples into the editor and making loops that way, but I'd like to start using a VST to drop my samples into, so that things such as reversing a specific sample, or editing a sample's properties can be done within the same sort of "toolbox" (if that makes sense). This way I could just drop the VST into my mixer and compress all the drums at once, rather than routing each sample to a seperate mixer track (one for Kick, one for Snare, etc).

breaks
May 12, 2001

Maschine is expensive but really cool because of the hardware half of it. It's not quite a full DAW by itself but you can definitely do a full track on it without ever touching the computer. I mostly use it just for doing drumtracks, with the rest in the DAW, and it works well like that too.

I guess Arturia has a plugin/hardware drum machine out soon too.

Not too familiar with it but Geist is supposed to be pretty decent for a plugin only thing. It's cheaper than the other two since there is no hardware part.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I'm a big fan of Nerve.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

E1M5 posted:

Which MPC-esque drum VSTs are you guys using? Up until now I've just been putting my drum samples into the editor and making loops that way, but I'd like to start using a VST to drop my samples into, so that things such as reversing a specific sample, or editing a sample's properties can be done within the same sort of "toolbox" (if that makes sense). This way I could just drop the VST into my mixer and compress all the drums at once, rather than routing each sample to a seperate mixer track (one for Kick, one for Snare, etc).

Ableton drum racks will of course take care of organizing/filtering groups of drums together. Or just build your own simpler groups. Same thing.

I just got a Maschine last week and it its a gigantic improvement for workflow. Its crazy fast to build up kits and to tap things out- and will again do the mass filter thing for you. Its got a learning curve of about two hours.

You could also check out Battery in terms of raw VSTs.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Volvagia posted:

Wow, she has a great voice. She should do some more actual sing-rapping. She sounds like Kesha/Uffie but not annoying-as-gently caress nasal.

Here's a new one from me, something nice that you can powder your nose to while you're putting on your aviators in your Las Vegas penthouse hotel room while your bitches are ringing your cellphone constantly but gently caress them because tonight I'm getting some new pussy, does my hair look alright? gently caress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuN_94GJVxw

Gibberish fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 19, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Just wrote a dubstep track, it's at the top of my page. Not sure if I'm completely happy with this as a final mix, but I'm not sure what to change about it if anything. Let me know what you guys think!

http://soundcloud.com/chrisgiraldo

Edit: Just added a deep house track there as well. It's kinda Trancy though, not really sure about it.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 22, 2011

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

Just did a remix of The Weeknd - The Morning.

http://soundcloud.com/giraffage/the-weeknd-the-morning

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

The Dark Wind posted:

If any of you guys use Ableton, watch this video. Not sure if it's been posted yet or if I should post this in the Ableton thread, but either way this technique is brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka39zTpPpFc&feature=player_embedded#at=126

THANK YOU FOR THIS! This is brilliant, waaaay better than going through all the samples in every folder listening to the previews.

Osh
Jan 5, 2007
Say, Halo my Quake 3 in Bungie for Half-Life 2!

Gibberish posted:

Here's a new one from me, something nice that you can powder your nose to while you're putting on your aviators in your Las Vegas penthouse hotel room while your bitches are ringing your cellphone constantly but gently caress them because tonight I'm getting some new pussy, does my hair look alright? gently caress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuN_94GJVxw

This is beyond dope. I just downloaded your EP, which should be great if this track is any indication.

dookie posted:

Just did a remix of The Weeknd - The Morning.

http://soundcloud.com/giraffage/the-weeknd-the-morning

I like it. I couldn't quite dig the beat until the hihat came in, though, as much as I admire the experimental-sounding rhythm.

Edit: Here's an electro house track I've been working on. I think it's just about done (until I make a club version or something), but I would appreciate some feedback before I'm completely finished with it: http://soundcloud.com/diskonnect/hatercreator/s-34WIK

Osh fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 24, 2011

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Have some house in your face, s'il vous plaît

http://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-cock-of-the-walk

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

wayfinder posted:

Have some house in your face, s'il vous plaît

http://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-cock-of-the-walk

This is loving good. Love those chord stabs in the 0:30-1:00 section!

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I'm an absolute beginner, so this may be a fairly common thing, but I'm working on a track in reason and the Bass drums are all drowned out by a fairly low synth that is in the background pretty much constantly. Is there any way I can make it cut through more clearly? I tried putting the CV out of Kong to a compressor that was hooked up to my synth but it didn't seem to do anything.

Edit: Now looking in the OP I see that's pretty much exactly what he's talking about with sidechaining. Tryed screwing around with it more and got it working.

Different question: How do you deal with getting hand-recorded drum beats and synth patterns to sync up so they can be repeated without coming off sync with each other? When I try to quantize it, it essentially just ruins everything.

bomblol fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 25, 2011

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Can anyone recommend a highly portable laptop stand?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

PoisonedV posted:

I'm an absolute beginner, so this may be a fairly common thing, but I'm working on a track in reason and the Bass drums are all drowned out by a fairly low synth that is in the background pretty much constantly. Is there any way I can make it cut through more clearly? I tried putting the CV out of Kong to a compressor that was hooked up to my synth but it didn't seem to do anything.

Edit: Now looking in the OP I see that's pretty much exactly what he's talking about with sidechaining. Tryed screwing around with it more and got it working.

Different question: How do you deal with getting hand-recorded drum beats and synth patterns to sync up so they can be repeated without coming off sync with each other? When I try to quantize it, it essentially just ruins everything.

For your first question, you might also want to try throwing a bit of a low pass filter on the synth, unless you mean for it to take up a lot of space in the bass register as well.

As for the second one you have a few options. Either re-record the drum beats to a metronome and get it as precise as possible, or go in and use warping (does Reason do warping? I'm rather unfamiliar with Reason) and cut up the audio until it lands on where you want it to on every beat. Doing this in Ableton is pretty simple, it just takes some time. I'm imagining the same applies to Reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Your stereotypical house/tech kick these days has the biggest peak in the 40-60hz range, and the rest of the subs are cleared out, and then the bass may live around 80-120hz.

You can go the other way with the bass in the subs and the kick not taking much energy down there. Especially for breakbeats, it keeps busy kick patterns from muddying things up, and when the bass and kick hit at the same time it still sounds huge if you've done everything properly.

The thing to take away is not that sidechain compression is the magic solution to everything, it's just that you don't want two sounds with lots of energy in the same part of the spectrum and especially not the subs/bass hitting at the same time. There are a number of ways to accomplish that goal. Use sidechain compression/volume automation when you want the pumpy sound and don't when you don't. You can get a clear result with proper selection of sounds and EQ.

• Locked thread