Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That mission is awesome. The suits, the constant gunbattles, the EVERYTHING.

I want more missions like that where it's just white knuckle tension and gunplay. GTA V has to have more of those.

Only if I get to chase a bank robber and/or run away from a cop through the edge of the airport.

The Departed is also good to leech missions from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nerdly_dood posted:

And since when could you tow stuff with a tractor in San Andreas?! Holy crap, they actually aren't 100% entirely, genuinely useless.

Same as the tow truck, use NUM8 and NUM2. Hooking up tractor trailers and towing things and using a forklift was one of my favorite things in SA. I was sad it was one of the things that didn't make it into GTAIV. They even have a forklift, but the forks don't move at all.

I think if they put something in the game, it should be functional. Too many things in GTAIV were "HEY PRESS THIS BUTTON TO DO THIS REALLY COOL THING IN THIS VEHICLE. But only in this mission. P.S. gently caress you."

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Same as the tow truck, use NUM8 and NUM2. Hooking up tractor trailers and towing things and using a forklift was one of my favorite things in SA. I was sad it was one of the things that didn't make it into GTAIV. They even have a forklift, but the forks don't move at all.

I think if they put something in the game, it should be functional. Too many things in GTAIV were "HEY PRESS THIS BUTTON TO DO THIS REALLY COOL THING IN THIS VEHICLE. But only in this mission. P.S. gently caress you."

I played San Andreas on PS2 originally, and I'm actually pretty sure you can pick up cars with it. Either that or one of the Driver games.

That pissed me off when I got to use the trash compactor in that garbage truck mission AND THEN NEVER AGAIN. I wanna mash a cop in that thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

nerdly_dood posted:

I played San Andreas on PS2 originally, and I'm actually pretty sure you can pick up cars with it. Either that or one of the Driver games.

You can use the forklift in SA, the forklift in GTAIV just drives around and its rear wheel steering so it drives poorly. I don't know why they even put it in because it's not useful for anything. At last with other useless cars there is another seat so you can use it for creepy dates.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I haven't played GTAIV in at least a year or so, and I want to go back to it now that I think my PC is capable of keeping up with it. What are the good trainers and mods out there to really just cheat the hell out of the game and generally gently caress around with it?

Anything on the level of the totally nuts trainers that people made for GTA:SA?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I also hope they do away with respawning outside of hospitals when you fail a mission. Just do what RDR did, cut out the middle-man, and have a screen that asks you if you want to retry or not.

Keep visits to hospital and jail outside of missions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
it pops up on the phone and asks if you want to start over. I'm just going to assume that any engine related features like checkpoints and redoing missions will be the same if not better than RDR. It would be utterly retarded to not do that.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I definitely see the checkpoints argument and wouldn't complain bitterly if Rockstar adds them. But, to me, part of the GTA experience is building up controller-throwing frustration and that huge rush I get when I finally beat a punishing mission. I don't want it to turn into Ninja Gaiden/Demon's Souls difficulty or anything; I'm also not looking for easy street. It's okay to make me work for it. I don't want to beat everything on the first try.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
It is kinda weird that the GTA games never had a difficulty setting.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Lack of checkpoints is only ever annoying if it's a long mission or it has a long commute to me, personally.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd love a way to skip missions entirely if the game is beaten, or better yet let us go back and play specific missions over as desired. I've tried numerous times to replay San Andreas only to stop at the goddamn RC plane missions and quit entirely for months.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Play Gay Tony. Not only can you replay missions, but you're also given a score. As a big GTA replayer that's like the best feature ever.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cage posted:

It is kinda weird that the GTA games never had a difficulty setting.
GTA IV kinda does in that you can turn auto-aim off.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Himuro posted:

Play Gay Tony. Not only can you replay missions, but you're also given a score. As a big GTA replayer that's like the best feature ever.

This was awesome but it really needed a visible counter for the objectives. Kinda annoying to have to wonder if you were going fast enough or got enough explosion kills or whatever.

Perfect score on all missions was the only single player achievement I never got. A couple of them had some gently caress-off requirements, mostly the one where you steal the attack chopper because the controls are so wonky and another where you have to kill everyone (a ton of dudes) with only headshots. Again, half the problem was the controls, really. Not worth the headache.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Timeless Appeal posted:

That actually makes aiming a lot easier, at least with a mouse.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

So I was gifted GTA4 this last weekend when it was on sale (finally!) and I'm having a good time catching up to what everyone else already knows.

My biggest accomplishment, though? I haven't run over a single person. I've killed a total of eight people so far, and it was all in-mission kills.

I even setup that mod that added more cars and people to get in my way.

This feels weird man. Real weird.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My favorite thing to do when I just want to game without stress is just drive around and look for random stunt jumps and stuff, but I obey speed limits and traffic laws until I find what I'm looking for :v:

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Bottom Liner posted:

My favorite thing to do when I just want to game without stress is just drive around and look for random stunt jumps and stuff, but I obey speed limits and traffic laws until I find what I'm looking for :v:

I find sticking to the speed limits/traffic laws to be more stressful than cruising through at high speeds. Weird I know...

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

You can chain link them up too, there is a tip/construction site near the huge mountain which has an infintely respawning towtruck. Just hook one up to the other, park it, run back and get another one, link it up, I used to spend HOURS doing this, I think I had 12 of them all attached together like one long tow-truck-train before it would start despawning them. Then I'd drive it up to the top of the mountain and launch it off the edge. Cue a giant field of explosions all over the country town below

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Lurchibles posted:

I find sticking to the speed limits/traffic laws to be more stressful than cruising through at high speeds. Weird I know...

The problem with this is that the traffic lights are on the wrong side of the intersection.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

screaden posted:

You can chain link them up too, there is a tip/construction site near the huge mountain which has an infintely respawning towtruck. Just hook one up to the other, park it, run back and get another one, link it up,

I think I still have a screenshot of my 20+ towtruck chain somewhere. it was glorious.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

screaden posted:

You can chain link them up too, there is a tip/construction site near the huge mountain which has an infintely respawning towtruck. Just hook one up to the other, park it, run back and get another one, link it up, I used to spend HOURS doing this, I think I had 12 of them all attached together like one long tow-truck-train before it would start despawning them. Then I'd drive it up to the top of the mountain and launch it off the edge. Cue a giant field of explosions all over the country town below

Ahahaha holy poo poo, I never did this

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

screaden posted:

That capability was given to just about every vehicle in the game on the goon theft auto server. It was glorious.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Timeless Appeal posted:

You can? I would find the gun play much more fun if it was free aim only. I hate this holding the button in half way poo poo.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

blackguy32 posted:

You can? I would find the gun play much more fun if it was free aim only. I hate this holding the button in half way poo poo.

Feel the same way.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, the excuse has always been "but you can't free aim in a third-person action game!", as if it's some impossible feat. But I get by just fine with expert aim in Red Dead Redemption, so I'd hope that Rockstar gives us the option of expert aiming in GTA V. Yeah you occasionally miss, but that makes it feel more like a firefight than an endurance contest where you just auto-lock and hold down the trigger until everybody is dead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bort posted:

I definitely see the checkpoints argument and wouldn't complain bitterly if Rockstar adds them. But, to me, part of the GTA experience is building up controller-throwing frustration and that huge rush I get when I finally beat a punishing mission. I don't want it to turn into Ninja Gaiden/Demon's Souls difficulty or anything; I'm also not looking for easy street. It's okay to make me work for it. I don't want to beat everything on the first try.

I agree to a certain extent, but if they don't use checkpoints then they need to address three things:

1. Incredibly long drives in-mission. With taxis, that removed the necessity to drive long distances to start a mission, but it also removed the ability to do some missions in a good vehicle. But gently caress the fact that so many missions start with "We need to drive all the way across the map with no danger or challenge, just tedium" crap. Don't get me wrong, I usually enjoyed the conversations on the way - the first time. Give me an option to skip to the actual "mission" part of the mission once I've tried it once.

2. Control issues. The gunplay was greatly improved in IV, so it's not the biggest offender anymore, but there were still lots of other little things that could gently caress up your day even if you did it right. As long as they keep making missions where it's possible to actually do the correct thing (like making certain jumps) but still fail due to wonky physics, then that's not "challenge" anymore, it's just pure annoyance.

3. As stated, jail. gently caress the entire "Busted" system. I don't care if it's realistic, it's poo poo. The phone-option of retrying a mission is useless if you just had all your guns and armor taken away - give me an option to restart the mission the way I'm going to do anyway - reloading my last save. I'm even one of those weirdos who obeys most of the traffic laws during missions - it's the GTA equivalent of "stealth". Nothing worse than getting noticed because you didn't pay a toll or you hit a pedestrian in a mission, especially if you just cleared your stars and they're still blinking. But I can't see any appeal at all to the Busted system. Even when you're rolling in money, it's more annoying to go to Ammu-Nation than just Load Save.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

precision posted:

3. As stated, jail. gently caress the entire "Busted" system. I don't care if it's realistic, it's poo poo. The phone-option of retrying a mission is useless if you just had all your guns and armor taken away - give me an option to restart the mission the way I'm going to do anyway - reloading my last save. I'm even one of those weirdos who obeys most of the traffic laws during missions - it's the GTA equivalent of "stealth". Nothing worse than getting noticed because you didn't pay a toll or you hit a pedestrian in a mission, especially if you just cleared your stars and they're still blinking. But I can't see any appeal at all to the Busted system. Even when you're rolling in money, it's more annoying to go to Ammu-Nation than just Load Save.

Busted is just another word for Reload Game imo.
China Wars had the best Police star system, to go down a star you simply wreck a police car following you. loving genius.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, the excuse has always been "but you can't free aim in a third-person action game!", as if it's some impossible feat. But I get by just fine with expert aim in Red Dead Redemption, so I'd hope that Rockstar gives us the option of expert aiming in GTA V. Yeah you occasionally miss, but that makes it feel more like a firefight than an endurance contest where you just auto-lock and hold down the trigger until everybody is dead.

I prefer Saints Row and GTA3/VC pc way of doing things.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

precision posted:

Ironically the station they most dropped the ball with was the "dedicated" Alternative station. If this was NYC in the mid-00s why am I not hearing TV On the Radio, The Liars, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, A Place To Bury Strangers, The Strokes, Interpol, The National, etc.?
Fischerspooner :colbert:

But this is one of the greatest things about the PC versions throughout the series from 3 onward... make your own drat perfect soundtrack.

(I believe the xbox ports allowed it too, and 4 probably did on either console anyway.)

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

ExtraNoise posted:

The problem with this is that the traffic lights are on the wrong side of the intersection.

The main problem that I have is with peds beeping at me for no reason. I stopped because the light is red, that makes sense! Why beep?!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurchibles posted:

The main problem that I have is with peds beeping at me for no reason. I stopped because the light is red, that makes sense! Why beep?!

That's realistic. People, in general, and especially in NYC, are loving rear end in a top hat drivers.

edit: It would be even better if this happens when a cabbie is behind you and he leans out and yells "COME ON! YOU COULD HAVE MADE THAT!"

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

precision posted:

That's realistic. People, in general, and especially in NYC, are loving rear end in a top hat drivers.

edit: It would be even better if this happens when a cabbie is behind you and he leans out and yells "COME ON! YOU COULD HAVE MADE THAT!"

I don't know why GTA4 didn't have bicycle couriers everywhere.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If you drove slow in San Andreas one of the things people would shout at you is "you're like my rear end in a top hat, always holding up poo poo"

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I haven't noticed it in GTA4, but one of my favourite things in San Andreas was the occasional random hyper-aggressive personality you'd get driving on the highways. Usually you'd bump someone and get some cussing and swearing, and sometimes the AI would do all it could to get away from you. Every once in a while though you'd get some ultra-aggressive AI that's an even more colossal rear end in a top hat than you, doing everything it can to drive you off the road and/or kill you.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is there a stable trainer out there that can give you infinite health? The fact that there is no cheat for infinite health in-game is a massive oversight on R* part in my opinion.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

teethgrinder posted:

I haven't noticed it in GTA4, but one of my favourite things in San Andreas was the occasional random hyper-aggressive personality you'd get driving on the highways. Usually you'd bump someone and get some cussing and swearing, and sometimes the AI would do all it could to get away from you. Every once in a while though you'd get some ultra-aggressive AI that's an even more colossal rear end in a top hat than you, doing everything it can to drive you off the road and/or kill you.

Didn't some people actually get out of their car and try to hit you with stuff like golf clubs? I liked details like that. I'm pretty sure I remember them getting pissed at other drivers as well.

They need to bring back random pedestrian behavior. I actually kind of miss randomly getting carjacked by assholes and having murderous crazies try to run me off the road if I scratch their car.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

teethgrinder posted:

These were always fun to chase because it was random AI you were chasing instead of a scripted mission set piece. They'd sometimes wreck amazingly as well if you let them go a while, but normally I'd try to pin them somewhere, get out and beat them down. GTA3 to SA had these drivers but I want to say it was the most fun in GTA3 for some reason.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Bottom Liner posted:

This is even more fun when you're in a police/FBI car. Some dude runs a light or litters, fire up the roof :cop:

Then maybe shoot him through the back window or throw a grenade/stickybomb/put a carbomb on their vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Whalley posted:

I don't know why GTA4 didn't have bicycle couriers everywhere.

The lack of bike in GTA4 is one of the game's biggest disappointments. :(

teethgrinder posted:

I loved that poo poo. I'd accidentally hit this guy's tail on the highway or in the countryside with zero available cars and he'd chase me for miles with nothing but a baseball bat screaming for blood.

Knightmare posted:

These were always fun to chase because it was random AI you were chasing instead of a scripted mission set piece. They'd sometimes wreck amazingly as well if you let them go a while, but normally I'd try to pin them somewhere, get out and beat them down. GTA3 to SA had these drivers but I want to say it was the most fun in GTA3 for some reason.

I only remember it started to happen in GTAVC. I don't remember anyone doing this in GTA3 except cabbies and gangsters.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 25, 2011

• Locked thread