Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

gvibes posted:

Banks love offers without financing contingencies.
Yeah, but 6 business hours? I was expecting at least 3-4 business days. Now I am wishing I tried for more than -10%, but it's cool.

Worst thing? Everything is moving so damned fast I haven't even been able to get a quote for insurance! Of course, a lot of that has to do with getting the confirmation after close of business Friday, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, the first house my wife and I bid on, our bid was $235k and another buyer got it for $210k cash. The bank was willing to take $25k less, just to avoid financing contingency.

I got hosed on a short sale on a similar bid but the deal fell through and the bank asked me if I wanted to be a backup.

That property's still on the market.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

You guys are rich can I borrow some money?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You got it backwards, my friend. We've all got giant mortgages. We owe hundreds of thousands of dollars. We're impoverished; debt slaves for half our lives.

Can I borrow some money Grem? I've got a mortgage to pay!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Me too, so no :(

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Grem posted:

You guys are rich can I borrow some money?
gently caress you got mine.

Got a ~$70k paper loss on my condo as well

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Today I did some laundry and water started backing up into all the bathtubs. A man is coming tomorrow to take a bunch of money from me. Thread title confirmed!

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

sanchez posted:

Today I did some laundry and water started backing up into all the bathtubs. A man is coming tomorrow to take a bunch of money from me. Thread title confirmed!

Turned the AC on a few days ago and no cold air came out. A man is coming next week to take a bunch of money from me. Post confirmed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The plug all my entertainment unit stuff is plugged into just decided to stop working on me. Replaced it and checked fuses. Turns out the problem is likely with one of the wires in the wall, which means I have to re-drywall the hole damned wall to re wire through every stud.

We are shorting this bitch as we just bought a new place on the other side of town for a work transfer so I just capped the wires and put a flat plate over it...

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Turned the AC on a few days ago and no cold air came out. A man is coming next week to take a bunch of money from me. Post confirmed.

This is me one month ago. A bunch of dudes took 6000 bucks from me so I could have cold air again.

Do never buy. Do never buy. Do never buy.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Chuch posted:

This is me one month ago. A bunch of dudes took 6000 bucks from me so I could have cold air again.

Mine was the capacitor. $60 part + $100 callout fee + GST = $176 for something that, had I known the problem, was probably a $10 part.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Chuch posted:

In 2008 a bunch of dudes took $4500 from me so I could have cold air. In 2009 they came back and took a bunch of money from me to replace the refrigerant that bled out of the brand new system. In 2010 they came back and took more money to replace more refrigerant and tell me that my warranty will only cover half of the bill to stop the leak, which is still a bunch more money. I paid for just the refrigerant and the same large bill is coming up again soon. Also I'm in year 17 of a 15 year furnace. Just waiting for that one to conk out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Was talking to my folks last night. They own a house in san francisco. Apparently the sewer line was made of ceramic and it is now broken and leaking. They have to have it dug out and replaced and concrete poured above it and they have to pay insane labor prices in the City.

I didn't get an exact figure but I said "thousands?" and my mom said "Yes. Many, many thousands."

Do. Never. Buy.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Those nasty storms that came through North Carolina the last couple of weeks tore up my roof. Today an adjuster gave me a check for $2,400 with another $3,200 on the way to get it all fixed. I hope I'll be able to get it done for much cheaper than that, but we'll see.

DO BUY INSURANCE.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
All of you are making me nervous. I'm hoping I can live in this house without major repairs for a good 5 years :ohdear:.

Perhaps I should do something about that growing pile of mouse turds at the bottom of my AC unit.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
General rule I've heard is to budget 1% of your home's value per year to maintenance and repairs.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
A year after buying my place I had to replace the siding for $3500 because the painted plywood was rotting away in several places.

Replacing my corroded tub drain cost $250, and the plumber installed the emergency drain gasket incorrectly, causing water to leak through the ceiling in the hallway below.

I've spent countless hours in my backyard and front yard and hundreds of dollars trying to bring back some awesome landscaping done by a previous owner that another previous owner let go to waste.

I'll probably need to put down sod this year because one of the previous owners planted Kentucky Bluegrass in a northern Illinois climate, so large portions of my front yard look completely dead for about 8 months of the year.

Do. Never. Buy.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Konstantin posted:

General rule I've heard is to budget 1% of your home's value per year to maintenance and repairs.

1%? That seems generous, I've heard something like 2-3% honestly.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Got a quote on insurance. Less than I am paying now for coverage of 6x the purchase price!

Leperflesh posted:

Apparently the sewer line was made of ceramic and it is now broken and leaking.
That is way more common than I care to admit. Nearly certain that my current house has ceramic waste pipes.

Konstantin posted:

Averaged out, I say that could be accurate for my house. Mowing and snowblowing aren't expensive once you average out the cost of the equipment, windows average out, plumbing re-do averaged out... Granted, I have been ignoring a HELL of a lot of repairs.

Think I can get by on $300 a year for maintenance and repairs for the new house? :v I may end up spending $300 on PERMITS just to bring my new house up to code, and another $100 for the stuff to fix it. Sucks that I need to buy/fix a gas mower now too. Probably a riding mower (electric riding would be cool) (Yes, riding. 60'x300')

DO NEVER BUY... unless you are willing and able to make most repairs yourself, or are rich.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fire Storm posted:

Got a quote on insurance. Less than I am paying now for coverage of 6x the purchase price!

Is this for your Dwelling coverage? Because if you're paying for Dwelling coverage that is 6x times the cost of the property, you're not going to get anything extra from it. If your entire house burned down, you'd only get the replacement cost of the house, not 6x the purchase price.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I'm just doublechecking because I think this sounds like a terrible idea.

Coworker just closed on a $225,000 house after putting about 3% down. He's looking at $1600/month before utilities or anything. He makes under 45k/year right now and with his (very rough) budget based on estimates and assumptions he's left with $20 a month. His fiance is a freelance wedding photographer with very sporadic income so some months they might have more, most probably less.

This can't be a real thing, right? Like this is how the mortgage crisis happened, isn't it? Am I missing something or do banks not actually care if you can pay for your loan or not?

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

What's the actual take-home pay? Just estimating, for back of the envelope calculation purposes, that a quarter of that $45,000 goes to taxes/health care/other deductions from his paycheck, then that means he's taking home about $2800/month?

If so, yeah, nearly 60% of his pay is going to the mortgage alone. Is he in an area with an astronomical cost of living?

(And speaking of "like how the mortgage crisis happened," that reminds me of my former roommate who moved out of our apartment to buy a house in 2009 because "free $8000!" Of course, he couldn't actually afford the down payment on the house he wanted, so he was trying to get a loan from another bank to make the down payment with. Fortunately, the banks turned that down and he ended up having to get a less desirable, cheaper house.)

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 25, 2011

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

zelah posted:

Coworker just closed on a $225,000 house after putting about 3% down. He's looking at $1600/month before utilities or anything. He makes under 45k/year right now and with his (very rough) budget based on estimates and assumptions he's left with $20 a month. His fiance is a freelance wedding photographer with very sporadic income so some months they might have more, most probably less.

This can't be a real thing, right? Like this is how the mortgage crisis happened, isn't it? Am I missing something or do banks not actually care if you can pay for your loan or not?
I'd say with his income, it's doable. Would have been a lot wiser to save up for a %20 down payment. Now he's going to pay out the rear end on interest if he does the minimum.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Yeah between 2600 and 2800 depending on deductions is what he'll top out at in 3-6 months (set pay scale at work)

It's very southern Washington, I guess a suburb of Portland, so no I don't think the cost of living is too steep.

From people I've talked to with the current topped out pay, decent credit, and at least 10-15% down I should be looking at like 175k tops. I feel like his (I imagine) inevitable crash and burn will either completely turn me off the idea of purchasing or just strengthen my desire to do it in an appropriate manner.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

zelah posted:

Doable... but a terrible idea. Based on what I'm paying for utilities (power, water, gas), cell phone, TV/Internet, car insurance and gas, he's gonna have about $400 left after that (low end, $2600/month) to pay whatever student loans, credit cards, medical expenses and buy food for, not to mention house upkeep expenses. So it's doable. If his fiance gets any real income at anytime through the year, it will help and make everything more bearable, but all it takes is one small gently caress up or unexpected expense to make it all crash down. Car or some appliance break down? Unexpected run to the doctor? Has to pay taxes instead of getting a refund? One of them wants to take classes "Honey... I'm pregnant!" Maybe he has to use a credit card... but how will he pay it? The other bills need to be paid! But things will get better next month! This is just a temporary setback!

But what if something happens NEXT month? It's not like he will be able to have savings at that point. Maybe the credit card is used a few times, nothing too big. What if the fiancee has a dry spell at work or takes some time off because after they get married, she gets pregnant? Hell, what if they don't stay together? Or maybe he gets laid off.

Yes, I am speaking from experience, and yes, parts of this happened to me. poo poo happens. If you are barely making it month to month, it WILL all fall down. 30% of income is a good max for mortgage, and he's playing around near 60%

YOU can succeed as long as you aren't an idiot about it, do a decent down payment, get something closer to $150-$175k (or much less) range, have a 6 month of expenses savings and all that.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Nocheez posted:

Those nasty storms that came through North Carolina the last couple of weeks tore up my roof. Today an adjuster gave me a check for $2,400 with another $3,200 on the way to get it all fixed. I hope I'll be able to get it done for much cheaper than that, but we'll see.

DO BUY INSURANCE.

I have insurance and after a few years of windstorms my roof was missing 8 or so shingles. The other shingles were all damaged and lifting but after a few roofers came out they all said it wasn't enough to get a full roof through insurance, and my deductible was $500, more than fixing the 8 shingles would cost out of pocket. So I ended up paying $7000 for a new roof with no help from insurance.

Do not ever purchase.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

zelah posted:

Dude needs to find some additional income if he wants to avoid some major lifestyle changes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

whaam posted:

I have insurance and after a few years of windstorms my roof was missing 8 or so shingles. The other shingles were all damaged and lifting but after a few roofers came out they all said it wasn't enough to get a full roof through insurance, and my deductible was $500, more than fixing the 8 shingles would cost out of pocket. So I ended up paying $7000 for a new roof with no help from insurance.

Do not ever purchase.

I was missing 2 full shingles and bits and pieces broken off of another dozen. This was enough for my adjuster to total the roof. I was surprised that they totaled it that easily. It was worth the call to have them come check it out, at least.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Just spent $4k on 3 new windows and a sliding glass door. The old door leaked and I have a moldy spot on/in the floor (that's not getting replaced until we move out). 1 window had a tiny leak that let water get in-between the panes, so there was a tiny spot of frostiness in the center. Well, you can't have mismatched windows, so they all had to be done.

Do. Never. Buy.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Actually, on the place I bought in 2007 (yeaaahhhh) the owner replaced a couple of the windows with the gas leaks (steam / frosting) and while they were technically mismatched, I never noticed. Was the problem part of the seal with the frame or the window itself?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I spend 12% of my gross income on all housing-related expenses. When something leaks, breaks, or generally annoys me, I call someone and they fix it the next day at no additional cost to me. In the meantime, I can spend roughly 40% of my gross income aggressively paying down student loans and revolving debt (debt-free in two years!), and still have enough left over to party and eat nice things. 5'ish years from now, if I decide to get a house, I'll have 20% down, a 10k maintenance buffer, and 6 months of emergency expenses.

Or I can say "gently caress the house" for another year and spend that maintenance buffer on a summer vacation to Europe.

Do... um... Longer-Than-You-Think-You-Should Rent.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

necrobobsledder posted:

Actually, on the place I bought in 2007 (yeaaahhhh) the owner replaced a couple of the windows with the gas leaks (steam / frosting) and while they were technically mismatched, I never noticed. Was the problem part of the seal with the frame or the window itself?
The window was with the frame, the door was leaking around the frame.

My wife made the 'all windows' call. The new ones are white vinyl, the old ones were dark aluminum, so it'd look very odd if 2 were still dark.

Plus we had the 2 bedroom windows done 2 years ago ($3k), so now the windows match between rooms.

And we want to sell this year, so every penny we spend on fixes is wasted (unless it's one that affects our quality of life, which the door frame leak would have).

Jorath fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 25, 2011

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jorath posted:

And we want to sell this year, so every penny we spend on fixes is wasted (unless it's one that affects our quality of life, which the door frame leak would have).

Actually... anything you don't fix now, you'll wind up fixing when the buyer demands they be fixed after inspections are done. Given the buyer's market that's likely to persist for the next couple of years, you'll either pay to fix things or pay via a lower sales price to compensate.

Fixing stuff before you sell is almost always going to pay for itself.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm about to close this week on my first house and I'm pretty nervous. I saved for the last 4 years for the 20% down, and while I won't have my 6 month expense savings account as I'd like after all is said and done, I have family that are willing to help out in case something catastrophic happens until I've got my nest egg built back up.

The seller has put about $20,000 worth of work into the place (it's an older, but very sturdy home) as a result of the home inspections, so that should save me a good deal of money in the long run. The boiler and heat are both 5 years old. My mortgage is ~27% of my take home pay, but my girlfriend will be moving in and paying rent so that will go a long ways towards paying for the rest of the housing expenses. All in all I budgeted my home purchase price so that I won't have to alter my standard of living at all from my current rental situation, and barring the plumbing exploding I should be on track to save about 25% of my net pay every month.

Please someone tell me I'm in good shape, I haven't been sleeping well...:ohdear:

IANAL
Apr 18, 2008

FUSC
My insurance company (recently changed insurers, they sent an inspector) sent me a letter telling me I have 2 months to repair my driveway or they will cancel my policy.

3 grand in my hand i hardly knew ya.

Do. Never. Buy.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

IANAL posted:

My insurance company (recently changed insurers, they sent an inspector) sent me a letter telling me I have 2 months to repair my driveway or they will cancel my policy.

3 grand in my hand i hardly knew ya.

Do. Never. Buy.

I'm sure there is a logical reason for their demand but I can't think of one. Why?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Please someone tell me I'm in good shape, I haven't been sleeping well...:ohdear:

It sounds to me like you're in very good shape! Better shape than I was when I bought, that's for sure. Good luck!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

sanchez posted:

I'm sure there is a logical reason for their demand but I can't think of one. Why?
Insurance agent here. If there is a large crack or a recessed concrete section, it's a trip hazard. Someone hits their toe on it, trips, breaks a knee, then helloooo liability claim.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

It sounds to me like you're in very good shape! Better shape than I was when I bought, that's for sure. Good luck!
Alos, now is not a bad time to buy (unlike 3+ years ago), since the crash has already happened your asset may actually appreciate within the next 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jorath posted:

Alos, now is not a bad time to buy (unlike 3+ years ago), since the crash has already happened your asset may actually appreciate within the next 10 years.

I live in Alaska...we never crashed, but we never bubbled, either. Home prices have been steadily appreciating but not like the bubble down in the lower 48. Seems like lately home prices have been appreciating at about 3% per year from what my local research tells me.

Thanks for the reassuring words guys, this has definitely been the most stressful decision I've made in my life. I'm ready to move in and move on with my life.