Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Baron Bifford posted:

What was the first FPS to use ironsight aiming? The earliest I can remember was Operation Flashpoint 1, from 2001.

Don't know if it was the first but Hidden & Dangerous had it in 1999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I used to work at a bank. With my job there, I was given a bank account for my direct deposit.

I no longer work there. I had a coworker bullying me and harassing customers every day, and no matter who I asked to help me with it up the chain of command, nothing was done, so I left. On my way out, I e-mailed the regional manager (who I'd talked about this issue with before) and said, I'm leaving because this is a hostile work environment, it's not about the bank, I liked working here, I'm sorry to go. I said nothing bad about the bank or let on that I had any intention of messing anything up in regards to my account.

Now, I can't loving pay any bills with echecks or phone checks. They're all being rejected. The money is there, and these are hospital bills. I think my bank has disabled my ability to do this since my employment was terminated. Is this legal? They've no grounds - I've always been responsible with my account. I've only overdrafted it once EVER, last year, in an emergency (hospital bills), well under my "acceptable overdraft" limit, and it was paid back with my next direct deposit never to go under again.

What the gently caress spiteful bullshit is this. They've got Telechecks rejecting my payments. What can I do about this? Is there some kind of legal hell I can raise or am I just going to have to leave this bank? I'm so angry right now I can't stand it.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
What did the bank say when you called them?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Loopyface posted:

What did the bank say when you called them?

I just figured it out last night. They're open today, but no managers work Sundays, so I get to stew over this. I tried paying for a cheap Amazon thing with an echeck, same result: rejected because of a warning in Telecheck. And naturally Telecheck doesn't seem to have the option to talk to a real person and none of the automatic options apply to my issue.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Try these four numbers

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008
I went to Jamba Juice one day, and they were having lots of problems, and I was (I guess) really cool about it, and so the guy working there gave me two yellow discount cards. They are good for 50% off, and what is weird is that you don't have to surrender them. They are seemingly good for unlimited 50% off at Jamba Juice!

But, the problem is that they don't really seem to work right. I've tried using it three times at two locations, and all three times the person sortof seemed confused, tried to apply the discount, noted that the items showed as 50% off on the computer... but that the total due at the bottom of the screen didn't go down. Each time they called over the manager, who tried various things to no avail, and finally just gave me a 50% discount via an override or something like that.

My question is... what are these cards? If they're legit, why don't they work right, without needing manager approval? I don't want to hold up the line for 5 minutes every time I go in, so might just ditch them, but still.

Some details: They're plastic (like a credit card), and on the front it says: "50% Off... 100% Delicious!" and on the back it has a magnetic stripe and string of numbers, and says: "jamba juice. Thanks for making Jamba Juice a part of your life. Questions? Comments? call 1-866-4R-FRUIT". Then, in small print, it says "Offer valid at participating locations. Maximum discount cannot exceed $5.00. This card has no cash value. Cannot be used in combination with any other bundle, coupon, or offer and may not be sold, transferred, reproduced, or duplicated in any fashion. Limit one per customer per visit. (c) 2009 Jamba Juice Company"

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

gp2k posted:

Questions? Comments? call 1-866-4R-FRUIT".
Maybe some Jamba insider here can help you, but it sounds to me like your next step should be calling that number.

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

randyest posted:

Maybe some Jamba insider here can help you, but it sounds to me like your next step should be calling that number.

Agreed. In case it isn't supposed to be given out for some reason, and since I don't want to get an employee in trouble, I figured I'd do some background research first. But if nobody responds, I'll definitely call.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

gp2k posted:

Agreed. In case it isn't supposed to be given out for some reason, and since I don't want to get an employee in trouble, I figured I'd do some background research first. But if nobody responds, I'll definitely call.

You can try the Reasons I No Longer Desire to Work in Retail thread. Its not really a Q/A type of thread, but you might be more likely to find a Jamba-Goon there. Add in the "and since I don't want to get an employee in trouble" for a good response :shobon:

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.
Is this an amaranth?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Is it generally understood that the "civilian population" includes political leaders?

I'm writing a paper (a book review) for school and I need to make sure that I word it properly.

Astro Cake posted:

Is this an amaranth?

Judging by some photos on GIS, amaranths have prominent leaves that grow near or around their flower stems. You can't really tell from your photo whether or not those are present. Also, I didn't see any photos of white amaranths; they were all a pinkish-red.

I'm not a flower guy, though.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 25, 2011

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Raimundus posted:

Is it generally understood that the "civilian population" includes political leaders?
If it's made clear that you're using that term as separate from those who are currently in the military.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to copy a 2.7 GB file over my home network. Both computers have Windows 7 and are in the same homegroup. However, I'm only getting speeds ~85 KB/s. What's going on?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Anybody else having a problem where no imgur pictures show up? The imgur website is accessible, but it seems like my computer isn't recognizing anything at i.imgur.com

edit: Fixed it, changed my DNS servers from the google ones back to the default ones and it fixed it. Weird problem.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 25, 2011

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
My parents have a bunch of weird random poo poo they are trying to get rid off. poo poo that ranges from collectors edition jim beam decanters to full sets of 1970s sets of looney toons glasses to liquor branded tumblers to 50s era lockpick sets to electric shavers from the 40s.

Besides a yard sale or packing everything up and hauling it to an antiques shop, what would be a simple way to get rid of all of it at once? Would it be simpler to list everything seperately on ebay? Is there anyway to figure out how much this stuff is worth without scouring ebay listings?

There was a thread on these forums where someone was looking at people's odd stuff and offering pricing information but I can't find it., and this is a lot of poo poo. Imagine six 6'x4' bookcases packed with random poo poo.

Any ideas?

I can also post pics of some of the more interesting poo poo when I have a day off soon if anyone cares.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

jim beam decanters

I dont know about your issue, but depending on price, I'd be interested in this. I love decanters in general.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I can also post pics of some of the more interesting poo poo when I have a day off soon if anyone cares.
Take a bunch of pictures and make an SA-Mart thread?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

2508084 posted:

I dont know about your issue, but depending on price, I'd be interested in this. I love decanters in general.

They have so many loving decanters. If you can give me a few days I can catalog everything in pictures and you can make an offer. PM me if you're serious.

Forgot I had these on my phone:

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 25, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

randyest posted:

Take a bunch of pictures and make an SA-Mart thread?

This is your best option. Goons will buy anything. Especially me. But,

They have so many loving decanters. If you can give me a few days I can catalog everything in pictures and you can make an offer. PM me if you're serious.
I call dibs on the decanters if you do. I don't have PM's. Post an SA mart thread, seriously. I can't be the only goon who has a love affair with decanters. Just put something in the thread about IRL offers that make good on payment before goons gets the product and your rear end should be covered. No one can fault you for selling poo poo ASAP, especially locally.

\/ SHUT YOUR MOUTH

randyest posted:

WHEEZY SELL A DECANTER
gently caress, I laughed way too hard

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 25, 2011

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Decanters, especially older ones, typically fetch decent money on ebay or etsy. Not crazy money or anything, but $30 or $40 for generic stuff. Shop around to see if theirs are out there.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I also love decanters so look at all the interest you already have!

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

They just seem to have some off the wall poo poo like these AGED 100 MONTHS buffalo bill and king gut jim beam decanters and whatnot.

Welp, I guess I'll make an SAMart thread when I get a chance to spend a day cataloging everything via pictures.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
New season.

WHEEZY SELL A DECANTER

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
For stuff like this it's worth taking up eBay or an etsy store as a hobby and slowly listing things, hopefully selling 2 or 3 a week, for $20-$50 apiece (I dunno, maybe more). There are other avenues to take that are quicker but won't net you near the same amount of cash. Offer'em to the goons first for fun, but I think you'll only sell a portion of it.

Unless 2508084 is planning on taking ALL those decanters.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
What the hell is this berry? Found in Southern California, but near a nursery so there's a big chance it could have come from anywhere. Tried googling and asking everyone I know, and no answer yet...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Choadmaster posted:

What the hell is this berry? Found in Southern California, but near a nursery so there's a big chance it could have come from anywhere. Tried googling and asking everyone I know, and no answer yet...

Long mulberry perhaps?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

hooah posted:

I'm trying to copy a 2.7 GB file over my home network. Both computers have Windows 7 and are in the same homegroup. However, I'm only getting speeds ~85 KB/s. What's going on?

Do you know what rating your WiFi equipment is? Most likely its on (or all of) b < g < n. If one device is lower in that list than the others, the transfer rate will be limited by that - b is slowest, n is fastest.

Other factors could be disk read/write speeds, other upload/download traffic on the router, firewall / antivirus blocking. I find that Homegroup is a bit slower on average than direct network access, I don't know why though but maybe the security layer in the homegroup is more process intensive?

If you want to speed up your transfer, plug both computers into the router with cables. I'm assuming you're doing this over WiFi.

Finally, try Haus of Tech Support in SH/SC

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

SlightButSteady posted:

Long mulberry perhaps?

That seemed so close for a while, but then I discovered the scale is wrong. That cluster I have is longer than my hand (maybe 8-10"), whereas it seems mulberries are relatively tiny (halfway down this page is a photo of someone holding a long mulberry):
http://citysewn.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/mulberry-angel-food/

Each of the individual berries in my cluster are about the size of a blueberry.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

My parents have a bunch of weird random poo poo they are trying to get rid off. poo poo that ranges from collectors edition jim beam decanters to full sets of 1970s sets of looney toons glasses to liquor branded tumblers to 50s era lockpick sets to electric shavers from the 40s.

Besides a yard sale or packing everything up and hauling it to an antiques shop, what would be a simple way to get rid of all of it at once? Would it be simpler to list everything seperately on ebay? Is there anyway to figure out how much this stuff is worth without scouring ebay listings?

My wife and her mom are collectors of this kind of poo poo. They have a booth at a local antique mall where they sell stuff. It's not a huge moneymaker or anything, but it pays the rent on the space and provides a little beer money on top. If it's stuff that's very collectible (and those decanters and tumblers almost certainly are), there are probably some online resources or books that may have some rough pricing guidelines. If the glasses are from McDonald's then even better, that stuff is extremely collectible.

gp2k posted:

But, the problem is that they don't really seem to work right. I've tried using it three times at two locations, and all three times the person sortof seemed confused, tried to apply the discount, noted that the items showed as 50% off on the computer... but that the total due at the bottom of the screen didn't go down. Each time they called over the manager, who tried various things to no avail, and finally just gave me a 50% discount via an override or something like that.

In my experience comp coupons like these (i.e. sorry we suck, have some free juice, not the $1 off stuff in the sunday paper) require manager approval regardless, so don't sweat it for having to bother the guy.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
My COBRA runs out this weekend and my work insurance doesn't cover vision, whereas my COBRA does; therefore, I'm looking to get new glasses this week. A few stupid/small questions:

1) The last time I got a new prescription, the place futzed up my glasses and it took me a week to realize that it wasn't just my eyes needing to adjust to better glasses, the lenses were off. That has kind of made me scared of getting a new prescription; I currently, in the right conditions, can read as good as 20/13 with my left eye, and 20/20 with my right eye (which, if you knew all the poo poo that has gone on with my right eye, is a loving miracle. The doctor always says he's amazed I can see as well as I can through my cataract. And the static.) So, on the one hand, I may not need a new prescription, and that any perceived vision problems I have are probably caused by the fact that my current glasses are utter poo poo. But, I was wondering, should I force myself through it anyway?

2) Glasses not being a medical expense, but rather vision coverage, do you know if I'll have to pay anything/much up front?

3) Transitions: Anyone with experience with these? It'd probably be cheaper to get one pair of Transitions than glasses + sunglasses, but I have no clue how good they are, if the vision quality is less, how fast they transition, etc. HowStuffWorks says, "An important note about photochromic lenses: because they react to UV light and not to visible light, there are circumstances under which the darkening will not occur. A perfect example of this is in your car." If they aren't going to properly transition in my car, then they're completely worthless. Am I being paranoid?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Can someone rank the difficulty of Accounting 101, perhaps from the perspective of someone with poor math skills and who doesn't know jack poo poo about what accounting even is?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Don't get transitions for your daily wear glasses or at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

3) Transitions: Anyone with experience with these? It'd probably be cheaper to get one pair of Transitions than glasses + sunglasses, but I have no clue how good they are, if the vision quality is less, how fast they transition, etc. HowStuffWorks says, "An important note about photochromic lenses: because they react to UV light and not to visible light, there are circumstances under which the darkening will not occur. A perfect example of this is in your car." If they aren't going to properly transition in my car, then they're completely worthless. Am I being paranoid?

Mine probably wouldn't transition in a car, but I don't find myself in cars very much (NYC). They take a minute or two to darken after you go outdoors and somewhat longer than that to lighten up when you go back inside.

The only major problem I've had with them is that if you stand in just the wrong place or at the wrong angle for a long time, and a shadow is cast on the lens, the shadow will be "burned in" after you move and you have to wait for it to fade away.

Zegnar posted:

Don't get transitions for your daily wear glasses or at all.

Can we get some reasons you think this?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Golbez posted:

If you want transitions only for driving convenience, then yes, they are worthless. They do not work inside a car as car windows already have UV filters.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Golbez posted:

Get contacts. I spent years dealing with glasses because I didn't want to deal with hard contacts and I finally broke down and got some a few years ago. Best decision I ever made. They aren't cheap, but they've saved me a ton of money on sunglasses. It's so nice not having to worry about losing or scratching a pair of $300 prescription sunglasses because now I have 5 pairs of $5 Wal-Mart ones in the glovebox.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tostito posted:

Can someone rank the difficulty of Accounting 101, perhaps from the perspective of someone with poor math skills and who doesn't know jack poo poo about what accounting even is?

You don't really need to be good at math for accounting, especially an entry level class. It doesn't get much beyond arithmetic and the classes I took all allowed you to use a calculator. Shouldn't matter if you know about accounting or not, that's what an entry level class is supposed to teach you, after all.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

haveblue posted:

Can we get some reasons you think this?

Very slow and they never go quite as clear and sharp as proper glasses. Plus it's just dreadfully annoying.

Seconding contacts though.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Get contacts. I spent years dealing with glasses because I didn't want to deal with hard contacts and I finally broke down and got some a few years ago. Best decision I ever made. They aren't cheap, but they've saved me a ton of money on sunglasses. It's so nice not having to worry about losing or scratching a pair of $300 prescription sunglasses because now I have 5 pairs of $5 Wal-Mart ones in the glovebox.

I may someday but it's bad timing; I had a bad eye infection just last week so I'm extremely paranoid about touching my eyes. Also, the way my vision is - I'm nearsighted - I can read my computer screen without my glasses, and it's often more comfortable to do so, but it all depends on lighting, what angle I'm sitting at, etc... the screen is right at the cusp of where my nearsightedness turns to blurriness. I have no clue how this all would work if I had contacts. It probably wouldn't be an issue, but I've done such a good job of talking myself out of them so far, why stop now? :v:

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Tostito posted:

It's a weed out class at my school. I remember the first day of class there was about 100 people in the classroom. The teacher asked everyone who is repeating the class to raise their hand and half the class did. Then he asked if you are here three or more times to keep your hand raised about 25 people still had their hand raised.

This isn't to scare you but to make you realize you will probably have to study your rear end off for it and the class moves fairly quickly. Since you aren't an accountant there are a lot of basics to learn. However, like stubblyhead said the math part is pretty easy if you can do algebra 1 (basic solve for X problems).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zegnar posted:

Very slow and they never go quite as clear and sharp as proper glasses. Plus it's just dreadfully annoying.

Seconding contacts though.

Fair enough, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as carrying around an extra pair of glasses that sometimes has to be kept somewhere other than on my face would. I've never found myself wishing I didn't go for them.