Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

The Casualty posted:

Hey guys, I'm trying to build a custom scenario in MegaMek but I'm having a problem finding a particular Mech. I don't remember the name of it, but it's basically an UrbanMech upscaled to a higher weight class. Can anyone tell me what it's called? I saw it on sarna.net a while back.
Are you perhaps looking for the Imp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Gay Abortions posted:

Are you perhaps looking for the Imp?

I don't think so. I remember it being noted specifically as being a scaled-up UrbanMech.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
The IIC version?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

the JJ posted:

The IIC version?

That's still a light mech though. Maybe I'm remembering wrong?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you could remember a weight-class or a faction that preferred them, it might help narrow down the search.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A Mackie? They look similar, even though the Mackie is pretty much the original mech.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

wiegieman posted:

A Mackie? They look similar, even though the Mackie is pretty much the original mech.

Well if we're just going with "looks similar", the Jagermech is just an Urbanmech with snap-on LEGO arms snapped on top. The loadout and intended role isn't similar, though.

Comedy option: I'm afraid it's Lupus.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hunchback IIC?

if you mean by loadout the regular hunchback also does it

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 26, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Obviously the Overlord

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I just looked through pretty much every Medium, Heavy, and Assault on the wiki and I'm pretty sure that either I remembered wrong, or the page has been deleted (which is probably untrue). Thanks for the help.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Chronojam posted:

Obviously the Overlord

Now that's an Urbanmech upgrade I can support.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The Casualty posted:

Hey guys, I'm trying to build a custom scenario in MegaMek but I'm having a problem finding a particular Mech. I don't remember the name of it, but it's basically an UrbanMech upscaled to a higher weight class. Can anyone tell me what it's called? I saw it on sarna.net a while back.

Blitzkrieg?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Zaodai posted:

Comedy option: I'm afraid it's Lupus.

You know...

That's a good-looking 'mech, isn't it?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

You know...

That's a good-looking 'mech, isn't it?

It is a good looking mech, no doubt. I just couldn't resist the House joke. I was originally tempted to just post "Is it Lupus?" and when The Casualty said no, go with the more traditional "It's never lupus, except that one time it was."

If you can't be helpful, go for the cheap joke. That's my motto. :downs:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I've always wondered why there are weight classes: light, medium, heavy, assault, etc. I mean, if they represent which weights pilots are rated for, then that makes sense, but that begs the question of why anyone would pilot an underweight mech.

If you can pilot a heavy, then why would you pilot a 60 tonner, when you can pilot a 75?

I'm probably missing something really obvious, but I've always had a tough time picking mechs that aren't at the heaviest in their weight divisions when I'm playing the games and such.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, in the tabletop game you end up with fairly varied objectives and opposition forces. So sometimes you want/need lighter, faster, more stealthy mechs to complete the objective.

Lighter mechs are for scout/recon duty, Mediums are for skirmishing and filling gaps in the line as well as light attacks, Heavies are your workhorses and line mechs, and Assaults are your heavy hitting siege weapons for when speed takes a backseat to firepower.

Fluff-wise, cost and industrial capacity are also an issue. You have people in lights and mediums because heavies and assaults are expensive as poo poo and hard to replace.

The classes themselves are more of an arbitrary distinction for the sake of being able to categorize what you're up against or what your lance can field. As you said though, in the video games you generally want the heaviest mech you can get, because you're pretty much going to be doing all the killing (and the damage soaking) yourself.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Artificer posted:

I've always wondered why there are weight classes: light, medium, heavy, assault, etc. I mean, if they represent which weights pilots are rated for, then that makes sense, but that begs the question of why anyone would pilot an underweight mech.

If you can pilot a heavy, then why would you pilot a 60 tonner, when you can pilot a 75?

I'm probably missing something really obvious, but I've always had a tough time picking mechs that aren't at the heaviest in their weight divisions when I'm playing the games and such.

Also you gotta keep in mind that lights and mediums are generally way more maneuverable, which gets you access to shots at weaker armour or facings with fewer weapons. They're also great for distracting your opponent from your own heavies. In addition, the heat mechanic means that most heavies can't actually fire all their guns in one go -- so if you take a 35 tonner and a 40 tonner against a 75 tonner, you might actually end up with more effective guns per ton.

If you match battlevalue with your opponent, there's almost no reason NOT to take a mix of weight classes for the sheer flexibility and power you get out of it. We've seen it less in this LP so far because we've only had one mission yet where focus fire was a real thing that mattered (mostly duels so far, where you do want more armour and tonnage) but it does matter.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

WarLocke posted:

So like, HPGs, but better?
I know I'm beaten a bit, but yes and no. They were basically text-only and slower than a message sent by HPG. In practice, however, messages often got through sooner since ComStar liked to send messages in huge batches, and it would often take a while before enough messages for a batch would accumulate.

They also had the added benefits that they worked during an interdiction and you didn't have ComStar snooping on critical intelligence reports.

They suck as a primary means of communication, but if you're waging a war against the Capellans while under ComStar interdiction they're a godsend.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, I would need to rewrite a lot of the Hollander's existing fluff. The Excalibur writeup was by ComStar and they still have the GR, but the Hollander is a homegrown Defiance Industries machine, and in this timeline, DefHes can build neither a GR or the XL engine the Hollander needs.

If you don't think it's possible to do the Hollander, than I request you do a promotion for the single shittiest mech you think would be possible in this timeline. Or, as an alternative, a recruitment ad for the FWL military.

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 26, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

elitebuster posted:

Or, as an alternative, a recruitment ad for the FWL military.

"If you want to learn how to say 'No, YOU!' with an AC/20 or two, The FWL Military is the place for you!"

:v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zaodai posted:

It is a good looking mech, no doubt. I just couldn't resist the House joke. I was originally tempted to just post "Is it Lupus?" and when The Casualty said no, go with the more traditional "It's never lupus, except that one time it was."

If you can't be helpful, go for the cheap joke. That's my motto. :downs:

Hey, it works. It would have been funny if you managed to pull it off.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Guys, I have a pretty strong feeling he's talking about the Annihilator. It's basically four Urbanmechs duct-taped together.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Guys, I have a pretty strong feeling he's talking about the Annihilator. It's basically four Urbanmechs duct-taped together.

AND ugly as sin.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The ANH-1E variant has 4 PPCs and 40 heat sinks.

That's terrifying no matter how ugly it is.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Gausszilla is the best mech ever.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, waiting on a quick update from a player.

Just an FYI, jump jets cannot put you on top of something with more Z-levels than you have jump MP.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just an FYI, jump jets cannot put you on top of something with more Z-levels than you have jump MP.

What if you jumped from another building you were using as a stepping stool? Would that be allowed (because you could technically make the jump) or would it still be blocked because you wouldn't actually be able to jump down from there without retracting your steps (if your step-stool is still in existence at that point).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you can jump up from one building to a higher building; it's the differential between your starting and ending z-levels that matters.

Along the lines of "there's a rule for everything", what are the rules for mechs (with hands, I assume) climbing up buildings manually?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Zaodai posted:

What if you jumped from another building you were using as a stepping stool? Would that be allowed (because you could technically make the jump) or would it still be blocked because you wouldn't actually be able to jump down from there without retracting your steps (if your step-stool is still in existence at that point).

I'm sure you could use the falling rules, no? I mean, 'jumping' down from height 9 when you have 6 jumping MP would functionally be a 3-level fall?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Say I have 4 jump MP, and the last turn I jumped from ground level (height 0) to the top of a height 3 building. Can I jump to the top of an adjacent height 5 building? What I am trying to ask is if jumping ability is limited by absolute distance (i.e from height 0) or relative distance (from elevation of mech's current position)?

edit: beaten by Zaodai and Leperfish.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I'm sure you could use the falling rules, no? I mean, 'jumping' down from height 9 when you have 6 jumping MP would functionally be a 3-level fall?

But, most jump jet, uh... energy/fuel/whatever is presumably consumed more quickly going up then down. Could you not burn your jets at, say, half thrust, and land softly as a falling feather?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the JJ posted:

But, most jump jet, uh... energy/fuel/whatever is presumably consumed more quickly going up then down. Could you not burn your jets at, say, half thrust, and land softly as a falling feather?

Hahahahaha physics don't apply here, sir. Physics are Lostech.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

WarLocke posted:

No, having even one jump jet means you take no fall damage from controlled falls. You only take fall damage from leaping downwards if you don't have jumpjets.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

MJ12 posted:

No, having even one jump jet means you take no fall damage from controlled falls. You only take fall damage from leaping downwards if you don't have jumpjets.

You know, for Battletech rules, that makes a surprising amount of sense.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

MJ12 posted:

Huzzah! My random rear end guess scored a TAC on Battletech physics.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

elitebuster posted:

If you don't think it's possible to do the Hollander, than I request you do a promotion for the single shittiest mech you think would be possible in this timeline. Or, as an alternative, a recruitment ad for the FWL military.

The shittiest mech I can think of is... Probably the JagerMech, and that lets me rip on House Davion.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

The shittiest mech I can think of is... Probably the JagerMech, and that lets me rip on House Davion.

Why not the -2D Shadow Hawk? It takes a mediocre mech and makes it worse by removing 5 tons of armor and using it for an extra SRM-2 and a ML.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Make sure to do it about an insanely stupid varient of it. All or nothing.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Worst level 1 mech I can think of? HOP-4C Hoplite.

55 tons.
4/6/0.
One AC/10.
One LRM-5.
Max armor (you will probably live long enough to run out of AC ammo).
Sixteen completely redundant heat sinks.

And it's ugly, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Mary Annette posted:

Worst level 1 mech I can think of? HOP-4C Hoplite.

55 tons.
4/6/0.
One AC/10.
One LRM-5.
Max armor (you will probably live long enough to run out of AC ammo).
Sixteen completely redundant heat sinks.

And it's ugly, too.

hahaha, why in god's name did they stick 16 heat sinks on there?

• Locked thread