Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Tighclops posted:

I... sensed this was posted. Holy gently caress it is a Gorn.

I don't care if it's officially a guy in a dino suit, it's a Gorn.

Are you sure it's not a Reptar suit?

ought ten fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Flavor Bear posted:

Saw this guy on facebook today.

What pieces would be needed to recreate this? Did some of the pieces have to be painted?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Flavor Bear posted:

Saw this guy on facebook today.

That's some nice printing there for such a small piece. A friend did this one recently:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgb/5575925732/in/photostream

einTier posted:

What pieces would be needed to recreate this? Did some of the pieces have to be painted?

I imagine the hair had to be painted. It only comes in red and black AFAIK.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Shuppiluliumas posted:

That's some nice printing there for such a small piece.

Its photoshopped, you can tell because the 'painting' is sharp in the details, but the edges are fuzzy to match the stand. I'm betting the hair is photoshopped too, since it would be pretty easy to make red hair look brown. The overall effect looks neat though.

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS

InfinEight posted:

Its photoshopped, you can tell because the 'painting' is sharp in the details, but the edges are fuzzy to match the stand. I'm betting the hair is photoshopped too, since it would be pretty easy to make red hair look brown. The overall effect looks neat though.

I would think it'd be almost easier just to print a thumbnail of the painting onto a little piece of paper (or sticker sheet) and just glue/stick it onto a couple of 2x1 or 2x4 flat plates.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Shuppiluliumas posted:

That's some nice printing there for such a small piece. A friend did this one recently:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgb/5575925732/in/photostream

I imagine the hair had to be painted. It only comes in red and black AFAIK.

The thing that both got wrong is that he has no bucket to, "beat the devil out of it," while cleaning his brush.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Whiskey posted:

I would think it'd be almost easier just to print a thumbnail of the painting onto a little piece of paper (or sticker sheet) and just glue/stick it onto a couple of 2x1 or 2x4 flat plates.

I guess if the actual maker were to show me angled shots of the 'canvas' I would believe its printed or a sticker, but until then:

I still say photoshop. It would take all of 10 minutes to fake it without having to spend money on stickers, ink, printers, aligning the sticker just so, etc.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

afflictionwisp posted:

Making progress on my Thunderbolt. Was tricky to get a 15-tube missile rack on its shoulder in a way that looked proportional, but I think I'm close. Torso looks boxy, but then, its a battlemech and its supposed to. Will look better once I find time to do the arms. I'm cheating putting the jump jets on the torso instead of the legs, but this thread doesn't care, I think.

This owns. It has zero flaws and it just owns. Can't wait to see what this looks like with arms.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Travis343 posted:

It's a guy in a dinosaur suit, the Godzilla to the series 3 Gorilla Man's King Kong, if you will.

You could probably use the head to make a Gorn pretty easily, though.

It looks so much like Hannibal Smith from the A-Team in his Aquamaniac suit. Going to buy it just for that and then make a full A-Team custom minifig set. Then maybe think about making the van. Ho man. This is spawning bad urges.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Okay, I'm trying to attach this to a minifig back by way of this and one of these. Is there any way to make it sit even flatter than that?

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

BrainWeasel posted:

Okay, I'm trying to attach this to a minifig back by way of this and one of these. Is there any way to make it sit even flatter than that?

Your best bet is to use a lego rubber band I would think.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Hey, the X-wing exclusive edition is on sale online at Toys R Us for 60 if anyone is interested.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2305552

Sair
May 11, 2007

Apparently there's going to be a Star Wars advent calendar this year: http://www.brothers-brick.com/2011/04/27/star-wars-advent-calendar-contents-revealed/

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Sair posted:

Apparently there's going to be a Star Wars advent calendar this year: http://www.brothers-brick.com/2011/04/27/star-wars-advent-calendar-contents-revealed/

Oh gently caress yes. The micro scale Slave-1 is awesome. I MUST HAVE THIS.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Hey, the X-wing exclusive edition is on sale online at Toys R Us for 60 if anyone is interested.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2305552

You mean the price it always used to be?

EDIT: And in fact, still $10 more than it is at the lego online store? :wtc: TRU?

Jordanis fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 28, 2011

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Sair posted:

So, I'm going to need like 10 of these.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Awesome! A Star Wars advent calendar! I bet it's gonna be full of awesome poo poo like Han Solo and Imperial Guards!

*looks at link*

:what:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

There's not even a Boba Fett or Mandalorian character.
On the other hand: Santa Yoda.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flavor Bear posted:

Awesome! A Star Wars advent calendar! I bet it's gonna be full of awesome poo poo like Han Solo and Imperial Guards!

*looks at link*

Nothing but minifigs would be dumb as poo poo. The micro-scale vehicles are pretty impressive, all things considered, although it would be nice to have more than just a few generic characters in it(although Santa Yoda owns)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Flavor Bear posted:

*looks at link*

Definitely need Han Solo to celebrate Wookiee Life Day properly.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

Captain Invictus posted:

Nothing but minifigs would be dumb as poo poo.

No it wouldn't. Your opinion on toys is wrong and your whole life is a sham.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Joudas posted:

No it wouldn't. Your opinion on toys is wrong and your whole life is a sham.

And your failure to recognize that the microscale Slave 1 and Imperial shuttle aren't loving awesome exposes the poisonous, twisted heart of an individual with no taste.

Honestly, I could give two shits about the minifigs (except for Santa Yoda, he's awesome), but the microscale ships are extremely cool. This is the only time I've ever been really tempted to get a LEGO advent calendar.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

The reason I want those awesome little ships is to make space combat much more fun.

Got the blacksmith attack in the mail today, just started building it, but it has a ton of new weapons and a chicken. Looking like a pretty sweet set.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Woo, Jedi Starfighter!

With Jedi Master Plorilla Koon and his Geisha Droid!

Here's an unrelated custom minifig: the Phantom Gentleman!

Not a great pic. I snapped it in a hurry before I took his hat for my niece's school project about Abe Lincoln. She made a little lego town:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man that microscale Tie Fighter is literally three pieces. If that's a door all on it's own that is kind of a ripoff.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Man that microscale Tie Fighter is literally three pieces. If that's a door all on it's own that is kind of a ripoff.

That Tie Fighter is clearly at least seven pieces goon sire :colbert:

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
That calendar is really cool. How much do those things usually go for, I might have to pick one up come Christmastime.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Is the set between the wookiee and the rebel pilot (top right) thematically appropriate? I'm sure I don't get it. Otherwise some very cool micro builds in there.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Is the set between the wookiee and the rebel pilot (top right) thematically appropriate? I'm sure I don't get it. Otherwise some very cool micro builds in there.

I'd guess that's meant to be Chewie's tools and bowcaster.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Regarding the advent calendar: If you don't think that little Death Star floor bot model is awesome, you are dead inside.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I'm fuckin sold on that set just for all the little miniature ship models. There is a goddamn miniature Snowspeeder. Sold.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Inspector_71 posted:

Regarding the advent calendar: If you don't think that little Death Star floor bot model is awesome, you are dead inside.

MSE-6.

Why do I know this? :(

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I can't find a "cheat sheet" for the packages of Series 4 minifigs. My nearby Walmart finally got a shitload in stock and I tried feeling them up for the punk rocker and the Hazmat guy, wound up with two mad scientists and the racecar driver. Although I must say the little Erlenmeyer flasks and the racing trophy are awesome.

Anybody gots a cheat sheet? I really need that little Flying V guitar and the Hazmat guy.

Gah: nevermind, found it. Welp, I'm heading out to Wal-Mart.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 29, 2011

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
One here but there seems to be at least two batches so it might not be completely accurate.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'd amend that to three batches, because I found a couple of dot patterns that didn't match either cheat sheet I've seen. One of the altered dot patterns was for Hazmat guy.

Nonetheless, mission accomplished; bought two minifigs, and got EXACTLY the ones I wanted. Super Schweet! The little Flying V with the punk rocker is one of the greatest minifig accessories ever, and Hazmat guy is just the greatest THING ever.

Edit: While I was there, there was a married couple desperately feeling up packages to find a crazy scientist (because it reminded them of Dr. Horrible) and a Viking (because it's a freakin' viking). I came to the rescue with my cheat sheet and they asked me to join their D&D group. I politely declined, because gaming aint' my thang, but it was nice to help some fellow geeks in need.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 29, 2011

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

What are the chances of doing a Legoon LEGO parts draft? I just learned about this and it seems fun. We could wait for a good deal to come along on a set with worthwhile pieces since shipping will eat into our budget.

Thoughts?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

The viking mini fig is cool, but if you want more, just buy an old viking set. Most of them arn't that pricey. I got 3 vikings to mix into those to add more variety.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Just a minor heads up. I was on the Lego website yesterday and they had a banner saying there will be special offers on some Star Wars sets May 3rd and 4th.

Also, while looking for something unrelated I found that the WalMart website has the Hyperspeed Pursuit in stock and on sale for $36 and the Lunar Limo in stock at msrp. For those who thought they missed the boat on these sets.

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A Star Wars Lego Sale on May the Fourth? :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

InfinEight posted:

I've been wanting to pick up a few sets to experiment with the new joints, but my budget is gonna be tied up in this for awhile:

Who knows, I might end up using some hero factory stuff to finish it though, I could see some of those specialized ball&socket combos being really helpful.

I meant to comment on this before. I'm always taken by surprise by the connections you manage to dream up. Keep the pictures coming.

I have something coming along as well.

I've basically got it the way I want it now, but I'm open to suggestions. It won't be done until a few parts come from Bricklink to substitute ones of the wrong color I have on there (black engines on the sides, for example) and I also want to run it by the space-ier people in my LUG for some feedback. This is just a sneak preview for now. More and better pictures when it's properly done.

For those who don't recognize it, it's the Rynex from Thunder Force IV, aka Lightening (sic) Force.

It's my favorite space shooter. If you haven't played it, give it a shot. I should also say that there's basically no agreement between sources as to what exactly the ship looks like, so I just interpreted it the way I felt like.