Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Does anyone else compulsively run over people who ride Faggios? I don't have anything against scooters in real life, but when it comes to GTA, riding one in my presence means you're a goner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Doppelganger posted:

Does anyone else compulsively run over people who ride Faggios? I don't have anything against scooters in real life, but when it comes to GTA, riding one in my presence means you're a goner.

Anyone on a bike in GTA4 was getting knocked off when I drove past, even if it endangered the mission I was on.

I hope GTAV brings back the Hare Krishna lines from GTA1. That was hilarious then and with Euphoria ragdolls it'd be perfect.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Why limit it to Faggios? If I'm in a car and they're on any two-wheeled vehicle, there's a good chance they're going to go flying off it when I'm around. I particularly like doing it in GTA IV because of the ragdoll physics. Nothing better than sending people flailing into oncoming traffic (or under my tires) with a well-places bash with my car.

Edit: Also bicycles in San Andreas, because it's hilarious. Sometimes I'd change it up by shooting people from my bike and then chasing them down while ringing my bell.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Tewratomeh posted:

Why limit it to Faggios? If I'm in a car and they're on any two-wheeled vehicle, there's a good chance they're going to go flying off it when I'm around. I particularly like doing it in GTA IV because of the ragdoll physics. Nothing better than sending people flailing into oncoming traffic (or under my tires) with a well-places bash with my car.

Edit: Also bicycles in San Andreas, because it's hilarious. Sometimes I'd change it up by shooting people from my bike and then chasing them down while ringing my bell.

Even better with two people, but yeah I do the same thing. See also: ramming cars so hard from behind with a big truck that the driver flies out their windshield. That last part might be related to the mod I have which changes the silly speed limits to something more true to life.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 25, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

I love doing this to cycle cops. I hated how those motherfuckers in SA would just lay into your car with machine gun fire. Whenever I saw one flashing its lights and coming at me, I would just make that fucker fly while speeding in the next direction. Good times.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
And you can't shake them like you can the cars. The bike cops never stop following you and they never stop shooting at you with their SMGs (WHY DO THEY HAVE THESE?). Flip a bitch, stomp the gas, make him go flying.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Doppelganger posted:

I have nothing against people on Faggios but anyone with a bike,motor or otherwise? Well, you've lost your bike buddy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Himuro posted:

The lack of bike in GTA4 is one of the game's biggest disappointments. :(

That, and also as soon as I heard "realistic NYC" I was like "gently caress yeah this one will have SKATEBOARDS".

I mean, come on, R*. Why the hell not? They should have been in SA, too. Dropping the ball, guys. Dropping. The. Ball.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

And you can't shake them like you can the cars. The bike cops never stop following you and they never stop shooting at you with their SMGs (WHY DO THEY HAVE THESE?). Flip a bitch, stomp the gas, make him go flying.

The most successful way, I found, was to hit your breaks hard so that they run into you and fall of.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Those bike cops are a total bitch.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm playing San Andreas for the first time again after the initial release, and goddamn if it isn't fun. I still miss GTA IV, though. I have the DLC for IV on my 360, so I think I'll be playing that once I finish this.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
As much as I loved sending people flying by ramming their motorcycles it was really disappointing that they almost always got up and walked away from soaring a couple hundred feet.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Someone tell me how to not suck so badly at combat. :sigh:
I'm getting my rear end kicked when up against people with guns. Also, I'm terrible at driving motorcycles. Which all comes together in the mission I'm at in SA. It's where you meet OG LOC (I love this guy) and you track down and shoot a guy on motorcycles. If I'm actually able to clear the driving part, I get slaughtered when he gets off and there's three other guys, all with guns.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Gils posted:

It's where you meet OG LOC (I love this guy) and you track down and shoot a guy on motorcycles.
I don't remember it well enough to give you any advice, but I remember it being a frustrating one. Kill your own prison wife, Loc.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Is that the mission where you have to keep following that guy and can't kill him until he stops and joins his gang and you spend like 5 minutes in Los Santos chasing him? That mission is awful. The only tip I can give you is to drive better and don't lose him.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Run away and shoot them as they go up to you. I forget if AKs or SMGs work better in that mission but I did it on like my second try after figuring out that you didn't have to worry too much about actually keeping up with and shooting him at the same time.

edit: But if it makes you feel better, I only ever managed to beat Wrong Side of the Tracks once, and I cheated like hell to do that.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Cliff Racer posted:

edit: But if it makes you feel better, I only ever managed to beat Wrong Side of the Tracks once, and I cheated like hell to do that.

When I replayed SA on XBOX I managed to jump and land on the train roof and ended that section in about a minute.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That mission is easy. The key is to not be right up on the guy's rear end right from the start, because he's completely invincible until he stops, but if you're too close he'll shoot you and hurt you. Once you get to the part where he stops, drive right up the stairs past him and stop in the slightly lower part past it, then pop all his buddies in the head.

Also, there is armor near CJ's house. If you go out into the canal, then head north and look under the bridge, you'll find it.

Wrong Side Of The Tracks is similarly about not positioning yourself badly, you just need to stay near the front of the train but not right beside it so that Smoke can actually shoot the guys and not just hit the side of the train.

sexy tram
Nov 5, 2010

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

When I replayed SA on XBOX I managed to jump and land on the train roof and ended that section in about a minute.

This is how I finished the mission. Big Smoke just can't aim for poo poo regardless of how you position yourself. Getting on the train isn't all that difficult anyways. I figured after failing three or four times, getting on top of it and shooting them yourself was the actual way to do it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I got up on the train with Rocketman but you get knocked off several times by the sign posts, had to jump up and land again with split second timing, which is why I only did it once. It turns out that the guys have way more health than normal thugs, which was a total dick move in my opinion.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Gils posted:

Someone tell me how to not suck so badly at combat. :sigh:
I'm getting my rear end kicked when up against people with guns. Also, I'm terrible at driving motorcycles. Which all comes together in the mission I'm at in SA. It's where you meet OG LOC (I love this guy) and you track down and shoot a guy on motorcycles. If I'm actually able to clear the driving part, I get slaughtered when he gets off and there's three other guys, all with guns.

Don't bother shooting him until after the cutscene. You don't have to be on his rear end, just drive carefully behind him. If you don't know his route, glance at the minimap occasionally. Don't bother flooring it either, he'll stop at certain points to taunt you and let you catch up. I drove up to the basketball courts (is that where the marker is?) and with autoaim and a SMG it's pretty easy to stomp Jeffrey's gang. I'm just a little past this mission myself, pretty fun going through it again.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
another cool thing you can do on gtaiv is blow the propane tanks up under the food stalls on the street :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What isn't fun is that I'm taking the devil may care attitude I learned in GTAIV with saving. Then I realize that when I die I lose all my weapons so I just quit the game. I'd rather redo those missions than get new guns or something.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Fun thing to do in GTA4 BOGT:

1.) Get to the top a building that has about 1-2 foot high of barrier around the edge of the building
2.) Spawn parachute and equip said 'chute
3.) Spawn a Jetmax so the pointy end + ALMOST half the front of said boat is hanging over the edge.
4.) Climb into the boat and go back as far as possible while still being in the seating area.
5.) Jump forward and laugh as Louise thinks he is skydiving but he is in a boat :)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Doppelganger posted:

I too, cannot resist the urge to slam into someone riding a bike in any of the games, it's just so hilarious to hit them and see the riders go flying.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

GTAV should let you turn onto the civilian radio in police cars and such.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

ElwoodCuse posted:

As much as I loved sending people flying by ramming their motorcycles it was really disappointing that they almost always got up and walked away from soaring a couple hundred feet.
This is why you have to run over them afterwards.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

another cool thing you can do on gtaiv is blow the propane tanks up under the food stalls on the street :)

Cool, not awesome. Go north from the docks in south Alderney, and if you're on the right street there'll be a grassy hill in front of you (still in the industrial section) with a billboard to the right. Go over the hill and if you've aimed right (or wrong, if you're just trying to get to the telephone to do the assassin missions) you'll run into/land on a set of super-explodey tanks. That's a wrong turn I'll never make again and/or I fully intend to make again. (Maybe I'll remember to jump out of the car early enough next time and not die)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

I haven't noticed it in GTA4, but one of my favourite things in San Andreas was the occasional random hyper-aggressive personality you'd get driving on the highways. Usually you'd bump someone and get some cussing and swearing, and sometimes the AI would do all it could to get away from you. Every once in a while though you'd get some ultra-aggressive AI that's an even more colossal rear end in a top hat than you, doing everything it can to drive you off the road and/or kill you.

I used to love standing on the bonnets of the cars and stamping on them, or using a bat. The driver would freak out and start driving like crazy (knocking over peds and screaming). You could inflict enough damage so the car caught on fire and bail just as it blew up some times causing crazy pile ups on motorways etc.

Hooking up all the tow trucks sounds fun as well, I need to try that.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So SA keeps crashing for me as soon as I meet up with Smoke and Kenndal upon starting a new game. :sigh: I guess I'll just go play this on xbox. Better than nothing I suppose.

EDIT: Is there a similar control scheme for the dualshock for Vice City like the one for SA Bort posted earlier?

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK
That one guy you have to chase on the bike in the OG Loc mission isn't invincible. I usually manage to kill him before he reaches his friends. I think they did increase his health or something, though.

Edit: This was on PC. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Rascar fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 26, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Boondock Saint posted:

So SA keeps crashing for me as soon as I meet up with Smoke and Kenndal upon starting a new game. :sigh: I guess I'll just go play this on xbox. Better than nothing I suppose.
Are you playing from a DVD release or Steam?

SA was almost completely unplayably crashy for me when I got the fancy PC version in the hardcover book. A while later I got it in the Steam pack and I never had another crash on the same PC. Shame my savegame wasn't compatible between the two versions.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Things I want GTA5 to take from Saints Row 1/2:

- Cruise control
- The garage. You can you save any vehicle in your garage for later use and add to your growing collection. Garages are universal, so no matter what hideout, so long as your car is saved you can use it. If your car is destroyed you can pay a fee to get it back.
- Car surfing.
- Planes, whacky vehicles like mini-bikes.
- Free aim. None of this lock on or hold in the button to shoot garbage.
- Gang stars, rival gangs get stars as well as police. Piss off a gang too much and you'll go on all out gang war mode.
- Hostages. Get in a car with someone in the passenger seat? Take them for hostage and start a side mission! How long can you outrun the police?
- Co-op.
- Cancel mission mid-mission.
- Various activities: mayhem (wreck havok and destroy property for points), gang wars, prostitution, drug wars;etc all with varying difficulties and multiple levels.
- Customization: customize your hideout, your gang, your cars.
- Customize yourself: your personality, your movements, your walk, everything about yourself.
- The ability to buy vehicles.
- Respect meter, can't do certain missions without gaining notoriety first.
- Unlockable abilities: increase sprint, increase healthy, increase defense, increase jump.
- No health kits. Regenerative health, but make sure you could be able to die pretty easily.
- Fail a mission? Display a result screen that shows how much you suck and opt to return to checkpoint, beginning of mission, or cancel the mission. ONLY allow BUSTED and WASTED when not on a mission.
- Cell phone with actual use. Still have the ability to call friends but make it for useful calls only. Like, sending me a ride when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Thinking about it, it seems I just want Saints Row these days. :( Because that is like, literally everything in Saints Row 1/2.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 26, 2011

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

teethgrinder posted:

Are you playing from a DVD release or Steam?

SA was almost completely unplayably crashy for me when I got the fancy PC version in the hardcover book. A while later I got it in the Steam pack and I never had another crash on the same PC. Shame my savegame wasn't compatible between the two versions.

Steam version. I'll probably reinstall and give it another go this weekend.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just finished Liberty City Stories last night - I hope this type of episodic, multi protagonist story is what Rockstar is going to do with GTA5. I will buy and play the poo poo out of all of that (provided they release on PC...)

I want to replay San Andreas. Any worthwhile singleplayer mods or graphical updates I should be aware of?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Imagine a Saints Row game structure in a GTA game world with Rockstar's production budget. Goddamn.

Honestly all the customization stuff never interested me. Why spend time playing paper dolls when you can be wreaking havoc. I didn't care that there was basically none of it in GTA4 and had plenty of fun in Saints Row 2 without doing much of it at all. I played the whole time as either Ali G or Mike from Spaced.

ElwoodCuse fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 26, 2011

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Boondock Saint posted:

EDIT: Is there a similar control scheme for the dualshock for Vice City like the one for SA Bort posted earlier?
Same one should work (says so in the notes for Button Setup). I've tested that one on GTA III, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Himuro posted:

Things I want GTA5 to take from Saints Row 1/2:

:words:

Thinking about it, it seems I just want Saints Row these days. :( Because that is like, literally everything in Saints Row 1/2.

Yeah reading that it really sounds like you just want another Saints Row game. I agree with the first few but keep the rest of that far far away from GTA.

Coagulated
Jul 19, 2010

by Fistgrrl
To be honest there's little more I'd like to see in the next GTA game than the return of the VW Beetle car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Law posted:

Yeah reading that it really sounds like you just want another Saints Row game. I agree with the first few but keep the rest of that far far away from GTA.

Over half that list is basically saying "make GTA feel less like a video-game set in a believable location and more like some hybrid Swiss Army arcade game with a bunch of random features crammed in".

Although I admit that I'd love it if there were an unlockable mode in GTA V where it mimics the style of the old games like GTA 1 and 2. You get the wacky announcer guy, Elvis impersonators, rampages and all that.

• Locked thread