Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

BigHead posted:

Thank you for reiterating my belief that Alaska is the best of anything.

I'd be really interested in working up there. Would being on Duke's Alaska Law Journal help slip into an otherwise insular market? How does an out-of-stater typically work his way in?

also how much money are we talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
I somehow managed to get a summer job that is paid and allows me to work from home.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

William Munny posted:

I somehow managed to get a summer job that is paid and allows me to work from home.

My legal secretary convinced her lawyer boyfriend to buy her a $750,000 home and she just quit.

:sigh:

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

CaptainScraps posted:

My legal secretary convinced her lawyer boyfriend to buy her a $750,000 home and she just quit.

:sigh:

Sounds like you should be a legal secretary and get a lawyer boyfriend.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Incitatus posted:

Sounds like you should be a legal secretary and get a lawyer boyfriend.

I'd be lying if I said I never went to expensive happy hours looking for cougars who are also bigfirm partners.

But not manthers. Not that desperate yet.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006
Hey guys, I just wanted to check in after dropping out back in January.

I did get accepted to UT's engineering program, but I'm going to take some time off to work for my eccentric boss (salary, benefits, really nice commission program on one project) for a few years so I can save a little money, pay off some of the debt I took on, and enjoy my dissolute twenties and then make the call on the education dealie. Hopefully none of this will result in my untimely death or alcoholism.

You guys alright?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Sulecrist posted:

I'd be really interested in working up there. Would being on Duke's Alaska Law Journal help slip into an otherwise insular market? How does an out-of-stater typically work his way in?

also how much money are we talking about

I posted a Barrow PD job a while ago that started at $140k (but then, it's Barrow). It depends on where you go, there's a range for cost of living adjustments. But the bigger cities start at $70k. We're also rolling in oil money these days (thanks for paying $4.50 a gallon suckers!) so there's job security.

Also, there are no law schools up here so as long as you have any rational connection to anything you can get in. The public offices hire almost exclusively from clerkships or spouses of current clerks. Anyone can get a clerkship at the trial level, especially if you're willing to go rural. In fact, one of our rural clerks recently got arrested for accessory to murder! So I think there's an opening!

The Supremes only hire T14 obv, but being on Duke's Alaska Law Journal should be a pretty sweet connection to getting any clerkship you want. Someone buys all public law employees copies of the Alaska Law Review, I've got half a dozen copies sitting on my desk that I and my predecessors have accumulated. There's also one near my toilet.

Other than public law, there are a few jobs here an there, but I only really see stuff advertised to current clerks.

Edit: if you buy me a sandwich I can even be a reference for you if you apply after July 5th, when I start my DA job. My brother in law goes to Duke Law so technically you and I are bff.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 26, 2011

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Lawyer & Law School Megathread 13: Alaska, land of frozen milk and honey

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

I'd be lying if I said I never went to expensive happy hours looking for cougars who are also bigfirm partners.

But not manthers. Not that desperate yet.

In this vein can anyone tell me where the local lawyer bar is in Tampa?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Daico posted:

Hey guys, I just wanted to check in after dropping out back in January.

I did get accepted to UT's engineering program, but I'm going to take some time off to work for my eccentric boss (salary, benefits, really nice commission program on one project) for a few years so I can save a little money, pay off some of the debt I took on, and enjoy my dissolute twenties and then make the call on the education dealie. Hopefully none of this will result in my untimely death or alcoholism.

You guys alright?

I'm ok, just really jealous of you :(

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Incitatus posted:

In this vein can anyone tell me where the local lawyer bar is in Tampa?

Are you a FL lawyer? Or a law student? (Stetson?)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Edit: if you buy me a sandwich I can even be a reference for you if you apply after July 5th, when I start my DA job.
No, say it ain't so? DA?

I would think living in Minnesota is enough for a connection to AK. It is loving cold in both places, the accent is similar, and bachmann is like a clone of palin.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

nm posted:

No, say it ain't so? DA?

I would think living in Minnesota is enough for a connection to AK. It is loving cold in both places, the accent is similar, and bachmann is like a clone of palin.

Interesting idea. I rejected it at first, but on second thought you might have something there. Minnesota is, or used to be, firmly old-school liberal. Alaskans think they aren't, but they live in a de facto welfare state.

And Bachmann is like Palin's Mini-Me, although to my horror she will soon overtake her inspiration in popularity.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Macunaima posted:

Interesting idea. I rejected it at first, but on second thought you might have something there. Minnesota is, or used to be, firmly old-school liberal. Alaskans think they aren't, but they live in a de facto welfare state.

And Bachmann is like Palin's Mini-Me, although to my horror she will soon overtake her inspiration in popularity.
Just like Bachmann, Palin is a carpetbagger. (Palin is from Idaho)

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

Just like Bachmann, Palin is a carpetbagger. (Palin is from Idaho)

I actually knew Palin before she went national. Nice enough lady, not nearly as crazy and/or dumb in real life as she is on Fox News. Her kids are pretty cool.

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
Law students and law dudes, thanks for humoring my question about my friend. I appreciated all the responses and forwarded him some choice quotes. But as another previous poster said, this is my "smug" Chapman law school friend and he's likely to just laugh it off at how I'm jealous that I'm not in law school.

This whole thing begs another question: if the law field is SO hosed up, and that anybody who is willing to pay can go to any bullshit low-tier (no-tier?) law school, why are people still doing it if there are absolutely no jobs and the field is hosed?

You'd think people with even a modicum of interest in pursuing law as a career would know about this stuff.

Take me for example, I have no desire to pursue this field, but purely because I have friends in it, I know at least the basics of what's going on. However, Lawyer-wannabe Lauren over there who is gung-ho about getting into law school will just blatantly ignore any kind of warnings and continue on the path. Is she just stupid? Does she really not understand the state of the field? Is she just of the idea that law school is what you're SUPPOSED to do after getting your BA/BS?

To go back to my friend, his parents are gloriously rich and funding his tuition, so to him it probably didn't make a difference what his outcome would be.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

I actually knew Palin before she went national. Nice enough lady, not nearly as crazy and/or dumb in real life as she is on Fox News. Her kids are pretty cool.
Ah so that's how you got a job. . . .

Totally Negro posted:

This whole thing begs another question: if the law field is SO hosed up, and that anybody who is willing to pay can go to any bullshit low-tier (no-tier?) law school, why are people still doing it if there are absolutely no jobs and the field is hosed?

Why did people buy $800,000 suburban houses in 2007?
People are stupid, impulsive, and think they can get rich quick.

quotison
Dec 29, 2005

don't hit your head

quote:

There are jobs, but people overestimate their ability to get them, and much of the rest of the economy is hosed as well, so the alternatives aren't that appealing.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Ask your mom what the most profitable and prestigious professions are in the United States. If she's middle class, she'll say "doctors and lawyers."

We were smart guys who couldn't do math or science. So we went to be lawyers. It was so easy we should have known it was a trick, but we couldn't or didn't resist.

Now we're here.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Zo posted:

So talks of no overtime for US examiners made me go look it up

What the gently caress is this poo poo? You poor bastards. Especially since US examiners have such a high burden of proof for all their poo poo, no overtime and hiring freeze is going to slow the prosecution process down to a loving crawl. Like japanese examiners can basically hand wave "claims 1-187 are obvious in view of CR1 and CR2" and that's that, while US goes through every single dependent claim and justify it.

This is going to be a shitshow.

Yeah, but let's get real, the Examiners usually just say a bunch of crap for the dependent claims anyways. Sometimes it's completely hilarious. Can't blame them because of the time constraints, but it's not like they typically provide an adequate justification for the rejection of the dependent claims.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
I've figured it out. I can get four Ds this semester and still move onto 3rd year. :effort:

If I did manage to get four Ds, that's pretty impressive. That means I managed to collect the only D they hand out in each class. Mind you, I'm pretty sure one of my profs isn't going to hand out a D.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Totally Negro posted:

Law students and law dudes, thanks for humoring my question about my friend. I appreciated all the responses and forwarded him some choice quotes. But as another previous poster said, this is my "smug" Chapman law school friend and he's likely to just laugh it off at how I'm jealous that I'm not in law school.

You'd think people with even a modicum of interest in pursuing law as a career would know about this stuff.

Take me for example, I have no desire to pursue this field, but purely because I have friends in it, I know at least the basics of what's going on. However, Lawyer-wannabe Lauren over there who is gung-ho about getting into law school will just blatantly ignore any kind of warnings and continue on the path. Is she just stupid? Does she really not understand the state of the field? Is she just of the idea that law school is what you're SUPPOSED to do after getting your BA/BS?

To go back to my friend, his parents are gloriously rich and funding his tuition, so to him it probably didn't make a difference what his outcome would be.

Because they are beautiful and unique snowflakes, and nothing will ever change their minds of that. They're the 80% of the class who are all convinced that they'll fit into the top 10% of the class. They're the ones who buy into the employment statistics from the schools, rather than looking around and seeing the reality of the situation. Their eyes are shaded, as though they have copies of USNWR's top law schools glued to either side of their heads. And the worst part is, they probably have no loving clue what a lawyer even does.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

rsvandy posted:

Yeah, but let's get real, the Examiners usually just say a bunch of crap for the dependent claims anyways. Sometimes it's completely hilarious. Can't blame them because of the time constraints, but it's not like they typically provide an adequate justification for the rejection of the dependent claims.

No I agree, and it's not very useful to anyone either, since you basically only ever substantively address the independent claims in a response anyways. I meant it more in the sense that they could spend way less time per OA if they didn't have to come up with so much bullshit, and maybe actually chip away at the backlog.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm still thrilled to have landed a nonlegal job where most people don't know I'm a lawyer, but I'm low on the totem pole and every now and then I feel like people talk to me like I'm stupid and I get ever so slightly tempted to bust out with "I'll have you know I passed the BAR EXAM" but I don't because I don't want to be That Guy and of course that situation probably wouldn't play out the way it plays out in my head

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

Do you need to go to law school to take the BAR exam?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Incitatus posted:

Do you need to go to law school to take the BAR exam?

Depends on jurisdiction.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm still thrilled to have landed a nonlegal job where most people don't know I'm a lawyer, but I'm low on the totem pole and every now and then I feel like people talk to me like I'm stupid and I get ever so slightly tempted to bust out with "I'll have you know I passed the BAR EXAM" but I don't because I don't want to be That Guy and of course that situation probably wouldn't play out the way it plays out in my head

Do you still apply to law jobs, or are you done with that for good?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ganon posted:

Do you still apply to law jobs, or are you done with that for good?

no interest in it

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zo posted:

Thanks for the insight, I knew it was going to snowball the backlog but I had no idea examiners had to do an OA per x hour. I wonder how many hours other jurisdictions spend on OAs.

Going into patent examining is still a possibility for me - in canada though, lower pay but canadian OAs are always so toothless so seems like it'd be relaxing work, so it's interesting to hear about things from the examining side.

hours per OA is a function of your technical area and your paygrade. Back when my wife worked at the PTO (pharmaceuticals and cosmetics), she had about half the time that I do (software)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zo posted:

No I agree, and it's not very useful to anyone either, since you basically only ever substantively address the independent claims in a response anyways. I meant it more in the sense that they could spend way less time per OA if they didn't have to come up with so much bullshit, and maybe actually chip away at the backlog.

I do software, and occasionally I'll get the series of dependent claims: "42. The system of Claim 41 where the color is chosen by a color wheel. 43. The system of Claim 41 where the color is chosen by keyword. 44. The system of Claim 41 where the color is chosen by color swatch." etc. etc. and I'll just call the attorney and ask, "Are you serious about any of these claims providing novelty or non-obviousness assuming that I'm rejecting Claim 41 or is this just litigation fluff?" I got to throw an unchallenged "official notice that this would have been obvious" rejection, heh.

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009
Another Alaska lawgoon checkin' in. My entry-level PD salary is about 65K in a non-COL-adjusted area. I think we're on the same schedule as the DAs, the AGs get paid a bit more I think. Anyway, it's nice work if you can get it. I feel very lucky.

Anthropolis
Jun 9, 2002

I'm also working in Alaska as trial court clerk. I was pretty lucky to get the job without having a connection to the state. I did get a good response rate from Alaska when I applied for 2L jobs - phone interviews are the norm so consider Alaska if you are still in law school.
Indeed, imagine, if you will, a world with no law schools. Where the constitution grants you the right to possess weed every day (537 P.2d 494). With a unified and super-modern judiciary funded by limitless oil revenue. That's my pitch for Alaska.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Isn't there an awful lot of... like... nature up there?

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Zo posted:

Yeah. I remember my first summer interning a fellow intern of mine had a response where the dependent claim mentioned log as in logarithm function and the Examiner cited to something about a user data log.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Hey guys you should change the OP the doc review market is really picking up so its all sunshine and rainbows now.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I have docs.. Review them

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Wow, this was not the place to come after yet another fruitless night of searching for jobs for my husband. :negative:

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

RheaConfused posted:

Wow, this was not the place to come after yet another fruitless night of searching for jobs for my husband. :negative:

Why sure it was. Sharing is cathartic. And he's apparently still married, so he's bucking at least that trend.

Spill.

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho

RheaConfused posted:

you search for jobs for your husband? I jokingly asked my non-trad lifestyle associate to help me find a job once and she said "go gently caress yourself. Going to law school was your stupid decision"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

intensive purposes posted:

Another Alaska lawgoon checkin' in. My entry-level PD salary is about 65K in a non-COL-adjusted area. I think we're on the same schedule as the DAs, the AGs get paid a bit more I think. Anyway, it's nice work if you can get it. I feel very lucky.

How would a PD from CA break in to AK?
I feel like our state is exploding.