Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Brick Card posted:

There's a lot of marketing muscle behind those headphones. They're not worth what you're paying. Unless you want super ridiculously heavy bass, don't get those. Much better and cheaper ones out there.

That was my initial assumption about them. I'm not in the market for headphones or anything, but I like to keep up-to-date with new equipment, regardless.

Sucks because I have a lot of respect for Dr. Dre as an artist/producer. And now he had to go and do loving product placement :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Is he trying to sell them as production headphone monitors? I thought the intended target audience for those headphones would like having that massively heavy bass. I got the impression they were either for DJing or personal listening, when (I imagine) having a flat EQ curve isn't a must.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fun fact (I used to work for a headphone manufacturer) headphones cost between $0.67 and $1.35 (for the fancy ones with lots of injection molded plastic) to produce (+ $10,000-$15,000 tooling costs). That's for a run of 30,000 units. Prices drop by roughly half when you jump to 100,000 units. No joke. I interfaced directly with the manufactures, saw the invoices and the checks, helped design the packaging, etc. Regardless of your marketing budget, every unit sold (@$40/ea) is about 400% profit. With the exception of the $250+ models, there is only about a dollar difference in materials in the $15 and $50 models.

q.e.d. be extremely wary of any brand (i.e. "skull candy", etc) that hasn't been around for at least 15 years and has a reputation to protect. The buy-in for the headphone industry is only about $30,000 (contact me if you're interested...) so there's quite a bit of profit to be made in headphones if you have any sort of existing marketing vehicle.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
Daisy Rock Stardust Elite Isis
http://i.imgur.com/vXON3.jpg (linked because huge)

Haven't played one before, but I've seen them in person and I like a lot.

I can get a used one shipped to me through a local guitar center, or I can spend the same amount on a new one at this site: http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/

Anyone ever purchased through them?

I can return the used one if I don't like it. But why not get the new one if the site is trustworthy?

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

New Epiphone Custom shop limited edition Korina Firebird (phew) I picked up at Daddy's last week. Really stoked on how it plays.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Firebird, hm? How's it feel? Regular, not reverse?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Great White Hope! posted:

New Epiphone Custom shop limited edition Korina Firebird (phew) I picked up at Daddy's last week. Really stoked on how it plays.

Oh wow. My dad got a ECS Wilshire reissue that he's been letting me borrow, and I'm kind of in love with Epiphone now. Always really liked the look of Firebirds.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
This came in last week. I haven't had time to take pictures, nor play it other than tune and test run. I'll post up more in the next few weeks, but for now, just a teaser.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

On the SkullCandy note, they're actually sort of popular amongst snowboarders & skiiers due to their pretty nice warranties. They're meh quality, though.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Bone nut blank.

Mandolin bridge.

Fixing up an old POS mandolin with a few problems. Discovered that the bone nut blank smells just like cum when it's being carved.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

Warcabbit posted:

Firebird, hm? How's it feel? Regular, not reverse?

It's a reverse body, I think thats the only way Epiphone makes them, but it feels pretty good. It's a little top heavy but it's not that bad if you rest your forearm on the top of the body and keep the guitar pointed up. The neck is surprisingly nice. much thinner than the squire affinity telecaster I've been playing.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Great White Hope! posted:

It's a reverse body, I think thats the only way Epiphone makes them, but it feels pretty good. It's a little top heavy but it's not that bad if you rest your forearm on the top of the body and keep the guitar pointed up. The neck is surprisingly nice. much thinner than the squire affinity telecaster I've been playing.

Is the strap button on the upper bout? If you put it in the neck heel the balance issue should go away.

Hanzo Steel
Nov 22, 2008
A really really lucky kajiji find... Farfisa Compact Duo. One of the classic combo organs. A few key/filter combinations don't work but it still sounds incredible. Another cool detail is that a bunch of random lights have been installed across the top... very futuristic. And now I will be eternally tormented over whether it would be worth the risk to gig with this.

Sorry for the cell pic, don't have a real camera.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whoa! Can you post a sound clip of it or recommend a song that uses it?

Hanzo Steel
Nov 22, 2008

rt4 posted:

Apparently Syd Barrett-era Floyd made use of the Compact Duo, but I'm not really a Floyd fan so I couldn't recommend any particular songs. I mainly bought it to get the Steve Neive/Elvis Costello and Ray Manzarek/The Doors sounds, and it gets a very similar tone. The Farfisa Brand is very, very well renowned though and has been used by Talking Heads, Phillip Glass, Sun Ra, John Paul Jones and the Black Keys among others.
Here's a vid of some guy(not me) butchering baba o'rielly on one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDxp18Q_hgY

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Hanzo Steel posted:

A really really lucky kajiji find... Farfisa Compact Duo.
Cool, I recently bought a Farfisa Compact off of eBay. What did you pay for yours?

rt4 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-URq0h7ek&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRdMvFvz4vo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhYLz63csS0 (Farfisa Compact)

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I was very fortunate again and found my SBV a trebly bud to chill out with! SGV-300! Really should not have spent the money but...whatever, I had to spend the money.
I fuckin' love the SG/SB series reissues!
The shape seems to be very polarizing but personally I dig it! A lot!

No sparkle finish on this one, I'm not sure if the metalflake is limited to the basses or what.
Scale length is 24.75"
Standard neck - neck/bridge - bridge selector switch, and the controls from front to back are volume/tone/AND -- there's something special about the bridge pickup. It's not a humbucker, it's actually two individual single coils.
I'm not sure what you call this type of pot, but it basically has 3 points it rests at -- all the way clockwise and the bridgemost pickup is soloed. At the middle point, both single coils are blended for SUPER HUMBUCKIN' ACTION. On the other end, the middle pickup is soloed. So you can also blend them between those points if you want.

The pickups are not high output, let's say they're more towards the medium - mid rare side. Basically, it sounds exactly like you'd think a surf guitar would.

Check out the weirdo bridge!

It allows for bending up or down. I love the way it feels! Very smooth, but you can't do the metalz divebombing with it. More fluid than a strat-type by far. The arm is in a great position for vibrato strumming. It's a surfin', shoegazin' machine!

From the few forum posts I've read about these, some people seem to have tuning issues with the trem, and I'm guessing it's because you can only use two springs. I dunno, mine seems fine...depends on the combination of string gauge/springs/claw...um, length. I'll have to slap some 11s on it and see how that goes. Of course I just got it, but right now I'm very happy with this geetar!

FRIENDS 4 LYFE

also i know my yard sucks

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 23, 2011

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
None of my pictures turned out, but I picked up a Reverend Jetstream the other day. Mine has white pickups and a Wilkinson tremolo however.

Hanzo Steel
Nov 22, 2008

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Cool, I recently bought a Farfisa Compact off of eBay. What did you pay for yours?

450 bucks, Canadian. Apparently, the guy I bought it from was a collector of combo organs, but he accidentally blew his amp and needed to sell something to get a new one, so I think I got a pretty good deal, considering I see Farfisa's going for a bit under 1000 bucks on ebay and this seems to be one of the better quality ones.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Achtane posted:

Sextar

This is the prettiest thing I want one so bad. I can't find them anywhere on musicians friend or guitar center, do they not make them anymore or something? I really want to go to a store and play around with one for a few hours.

edit: :(

Adjectivist Philosophy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 25, 2011

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Traffic Reporter posted:

This is the prettiest thing I want one so bad. I can't find them anywhere on musicians friend or guitar center, do they not make them anymore or something?
Heck no. The originals are impossible to find. The SBV / SGV are reissues from the early 2000's and are pretty tough to find. I've been looking on and off for a SBV for a year or so and haven't seen a thing.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
They occasionally turn up on Ishibashi. If you're intent enough on owning one that it's worth ordering from Japan, that's one option.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Finally upgraded from our guitarist's old Fender 100W solid state amp to Marshall MH450 and MBC410. I can get a really warm and moderately rough tone out of these. Still have to twiddle with the knobs a bit to be able to cut clearer through the mix.

Inspired by one other bassist at the same gig I played, I bought a Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser. The effect is more subtle than the MXR's it's based on but that's just a plus in my opinion since it doesn't drown the actual notes you're playing into Starship Enterprise like swhoops.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 25, 2011

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Ferrous Wheel posted:

They occasionally turn up on Ishibashi. If you're intent enough on owning one that it's worth ordering from Japan, that's one option.

I like the idea of owning one, but I really just wanted to go to guitar center and pretend I have the means to buy a new guitar :)

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Schatten posted:

This came in last week. I haven't had time to take pictures, nor play it other than tune and test run. I'll post up more in the next few weeks, but for now, just a teaser.

Zebrawood is the ultimate erection factory for me. Please post the rest, so I can get so jealous that I want to kill myself.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Achtane posted:

FRIENDS 4 LYFE

also i know my yard sucks
That bass is loving SEXY. Also, those headstocks are really cool looking too.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
I'm going to buy this for £30 or cheaper:

and turn it into THIS:

Blog entry for reference. Basically a low budget DIY MIDI foot-switch! I hope it works well..

Would love to get the black Korg Nanokey, get some Jenga blocks, cut them to the right size, spray paint them pink and then throw them on there :fag:

Mainstage will never be the same again..

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.
Mandocello!

The shop I'm buying this from is out of stock of this particular model so I have to wait. :bang:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

^^^

Is that an Eastman?

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

rio posted:

^^^

Is that an Eastman?

yessir it is

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Roctor posted:

Mandocello!

The shop I'm buying this from is out of stock of this particular model so I have to wait. :bang:

:hawaaaafap: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

And I'm guessing from the photo you bought it from The Mandolin Store in Wickenburg? Good choice. Dennis Vance is a great guy to buy from, and their in-store set-ups are second to none.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

AstroZamboni posted:

:hawaaaafap: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

And I'm guessing from the photo you bought it from The Mandolin Store in Wickenburg? Good choice. Dennis Vance is a great guy to buy from, and their in-store set-ups are second to none.

I'm buying it from that very store!

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=93

I found their site looking for straps for my mandolin and thought they were cool, and then realized they were only an hour and a half drive from me (phx). When they get their next one in I'm going to drive up to play it before I buy, but I'd be fooling myself if I thought there was any way that I wasn't going to get it. Good practice, though, play before you buy.

You in AZ?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In 1983 I saw Purple Rain. Prince had a microphone that I'd never seen before and I thought to myself, yes, one day, I will own that microphone. Because, seriously, microphones can't be THAT loving expensive right?

$500? Are you making GBS threads me?

Luckily, I snagged this fucker off of ebay for $300. But seriously - who the hell spends that much on mics? An idiot? I'll let you know after my next gig.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Roctor posted:

I'm buying it from that very store!

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=93

I found their site looking for straps for my mandolin and thought they were cool, and then realized they were only an hour and a half drive from me (phx). When they get their next one in I'm going to drive up to play it before I buy, but I'd be fooling myself if I thought there was any way that I wasn't going to get it. Good practice, though, play before you buy.

You in AZ?

Used to be in AZ. Moved to Colorado Springs last year. I drool over the custom Weber mandolins that are exclusive to The Mandolin Store.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

magnificent7 posted:

In 1983 I saw Purple Rain. Prince had a microphone that I'd never seen before and I thought to myself, yes, one day, I will own that microphone. Because, seriously, microphones can't be THAT loving expensive right?

$500? Are you making GBS threads me?

Luckily, I snagged this fucker off of ebay for $300. But seriously - who the hell spends that much on mics? An idiot? I'll let you know after my next gig.

That's pretty cheap for a something that lets you time-travel, though. ;)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Narwhale posted:

That's pretty cheap for a something that lets you time-travel, though. ;)
It's sad to think about really.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
Picked up this beauty second hand! Feel a little bit like I don't deserve it because I'm still such a novice, but it's so much nicer to play than the Stagg Strat I was using. It's an Adam Black Libra LSR apparently, though I can't find much information about this model online.

Bonus practice/headphone amplifier I'm making because I'm a big nerd and I couldn't resist a chance to play with electronics. Schematics from here.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

'90s Ampeg Jet II Reissue (J-12R). Picked it up on Craigslist for $200. Sounds amazing... when it works. :emo: The guy I bought it off of said it had "intermittent popping", and when I went to his house and played it for about half an hour, it indeed had some very mild popping or scratching. It almost sounded like a loose input jack or something. So I bought it and it sat unused for two days, before I turned it on and tried to play today. Within 30 seconds to a minute, it begins crackling and scratching incessantly. Whether you're playing or not, whether anything's plugged in or not. :iiam:
A quick google search shows that this is a known issue with these amps, but every single person seems to have solved it differently. So I've got some new tubes on the way, and hopefully that will take care of it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Brettbot posted:

A quick google search shows that this is a known issue with these amps, but every single person seems to have solved it differently. So I've got some new tubes on the way, and hopefully that will take care of it.

If you can, try it on a different wall socket, or perhaps in a different room. I've had equipment be THAT bitchy about getting a clean current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Brettbot posted:

'90s Ampeg Jet II Reissue (J-12R). Picked it up on Craigslist for $200. Sounds amazing... when it works. :emo: The guy I bought it off of said it had "intermittent popping", and when I went to his house and played it for about half an hour, it indeed had some very mild popping or scratching. It almost sounded like a loose input jack or something. So I bought it and it sat unused for two days, before I turned it on and tried to play today. Within 30 seconds to a minute, it begins crackling and scratching incessantly. Whether you're playing or not, whether anything's plugged in or not. :iiam:

It's probably the jack. Does the crackling go away or change if you jam the plug in and out a few times? If so go get the jack replaced at a repair shop.