Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Speaking of not doing stuff on time, I've got some way older relatives that became interested in investing/retirement savings once I mentioned doing it... What can somebody in their 50's do? I can anticipate that the answer will be "not a whole lot", but a little is better than nothing. They're also in the US and not Canada like me so maybe this'll be easier to answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
If they have a 401(k) option at work they are eligible to contribute $16,500 a year and up to $5,000 in 'catch up' contributions. 401K contributions are from pre-tax income (they reduce your annual tax burden and taxes are payed when you withdraw.) Also they are eligible, if they make less than the cap (MAGI < $107k-169k depending on status) they can contribute up to $6,000 a year to a ROTH IRA in post-tax funds which will remain tax free as long as they are in the account.

The conventional wisdom is 401(k) up to the match, then a ROTH, then the rest of the 401(k). I'm a bigger fan of max 401(k) and then ROTH, but I like my 401(k) options and don't have a lot of deductions/credits now (no kids/mortgage). Saving up to $27,500 a year is a great place to start.

Good luck. There is never a too early or too late time to start.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Goddamn posted:

Speaking of not doing stuff on time, I've got some way older relatives that became interested in investing/retirement savings once I mentioned doing it... What can somebody in their 50's do? I can anticipate that the answer will be "not a whole lot", but a little is better than nothing. They're also in the US and not Canada like me so maybe this'll be easier to answer.
Keep working and saving until they have enough. Also, cut down on expenses, pay off the debts, etc... This isn't rocket science.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

KennyG posted:

If they have a 401(k) option at work they are eligible to contribute $16,500 a year and up to $5,000 in 'catch up' contributions. 401K contributions are from pre-tax income (they reduce your annual tax burden and taxes are payed when you withdraw.) Also they are eligible, if they make less than the cap (MAGI < $107k-169k depending on status) they can contribute up to $6,000 a year to a ROTH IRA in post-tax funds which will remain tax free as long as they are in the account.

The conventional wisdom is 401(k) up to the match, then a ROTH, then the rest of the 401(k). I'm a bigger fan of max 401(k) and then ROTH, but I like my 401(k) options and don't have a lot of deductions/credits now (no kids/mortgage). Saving up to $27,500 a year is a great place to start.

Good luck. There is never a too early or too late time to start.

If they still haven't paid off any major debts, those probably take precedence, I would assume.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Zero The Hero posted:

If they still haven't paid off any major debts, those probably take precedence, I would assume.

YES!

Money is by definition fungible. Paying 15%, 20%, 25% or more on a credit card while trying to invest and get <10% is not saving. It's throwing money away.

Debts, emergency fund, retirement.

The only exception is if you get a 401k match at work. A 401k match needs to be viewed like an instant, guaranteed 100% return. If your credit cards are less than 100%, the 401k up to the match takes precedent.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
I was home for Easter this weekend and came across my dad's quarterly 401k statement. His retirement planning needs drastic changes but I'm not sure of the best way to go about this. He will be 59 in November. He's been at the same job since he was 18, and his 401k represents 100% of his retirement assets. He divorced in 2002 and half of his then-balance went to my mom, and then the crash in fall of 2008 didn't help. His current balance is just around $725,000. The 401k is managed by American Funds.

To say that his current allocation is aggressive doesn't cut it. His allocation borders on insanity. I asked him about it and he said that he "needs to make his money back" after losing 1/3 of his assets in 2008. I explained to him that at his age, he needs to accept his retirement assets for what they are and stop gambling with his money. His current allocation is 90% "growth" stocks, 5% bonds, and 5% cash-equivalent. I explained to him that I'd like to see him in 60% bonds right now, if not more.

He's entirely in actively-managed funds that are taking expense ratios of between 0.93 to 1.47 depending on the fund. His cash-equivalent fund charges him a 0.52 expense ratio. This is insanity.

I was originally going to just reallocate his funds for him until I noticed that all of the funds offered in his 401k plan have up-front sales loads of 5.75% for equity funds and 3.75% for bond funds.

If I get him to accept a 60% bond allocation, I'd need to move about $375,000 from equity to bonds. At 3.75% sales loads, that's just over $13,000. Do I have him just take the $13,000 hit in order to get his portfolio into a safer position?

On another note, it's likely that his company is going to go under within the next 3 years, so my long-term plan is to roll his account over into a traditional IRA at Vanguard with some low-cost index funds and bonds. But I need to get him to survive that long.

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

10-8 posted:

I was home for Easter this weekend and came across my dad's quarterly 401k statement.

I hate it when you reach for the sports section and accidentally start reading your parent's personal financial documents.

10-8 posted:

I was originally going to just reallocate his funds for him...

Do you mean that you were going to vigorously try to convince him to get his portfolio away from the brink? Because that sounds like a really good thing to do. Because if you just go in there and change his allocation behind his back that's probably illegal. In fact, that's probably illegal in several ways (financial laws as well as identity theft laws, though I'm not a lawyer, however I do have common sense).

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

gp2k posted:

I hate it when you reach for the sports section and accidentally start reading your parent's personal financial documents.

Do you mean that you were going to vigorously try to convince him to get his portfolio away from the brink? Because that sounds like a really good thing to do. Because if you just go in there and change his allocation behind his back that's probably illegal. In fact, that's probably illegal in several ways (financial laws as well as identity theft laws, though I'm not a lawyer, however I do have common sense).
He showed me the statement, jackass. I manage most of my dad's other finances for him, given that I'm a tax attorney and he works in a warehouse. But thanks for assuming I'm a crook. I would have thought it was implied this was all with his permission.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Your father is not actually that old, and it doesn't sound like he's in a financial position where he'll be able to stop working in the next 10 years, so a more aggressive mix doesn't sound like the worst idea in the world to me especially given the high costs of shifting the allocation. I agree with you that his current mix is definitely too aggressive for his place in life and he's in some lovely funds, but 60% sounds a little high considering his retirement horizon.

Were I you I might try to talk him into shifting some of his assets into bonds (you'll probably be able to talk him into 35-45%) and then try to ride it out until the company folds and he can roll it over and look for different work.

But regardless, you're likely not going to be able to just "do it for him", so anything you try you'll have to convince him into it first.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Sophia posted:

Your father is not actually that old, and it doesn't sound like he's in a financial position where he'll be able to stop working in the next 10 years.

Really? How long do you expect him to live? Do you have any idea what his expenses are?

Wouldn't what he has now rolled into tax-exempt muni bonds give him a comfortable 25-30k a year? And when you add in Social Security it seems to me that he should be fairly comfortable without even touching his principle.

But even if he were to pull 25 or 30 k out of his principle every year that would be sustainable for 25 years or so.

Sounds like a pretty comfy retirement to me.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

That's true, his cost of living might be low, and obviously there might be a lot of factors that affect this (does he have other savings, does he own a house, what kind of shape is it in, does he still have divorce costs, what is his health like, what kind of insurance will he have, is he good with money, what does he want to do in retirement) and 10-8 would know more about that than me for sure.

But $25-30K per year for 25 years doesn't sound sustainable even given the likelihood of even minor health problems in that period and his likely lack of good retirement health care (since his company has never had a pension plan outside of a 401k) and the rising cost of long-term care as he ages (especially given that the Baby Boomers are going to jack up costs like crazy in the next few years). That's not even counting the fact that he seems to not be all that great with financial concepts.

I would not recommend that anyone retire at 60 with only $725K in a 401k and no other pension options but Social Security, but if 10-8 thinks that his retirement horizon is actually only a few years away because of other reasons that I don't know about, then I agree that he should get him very very far out of the allocation he's currently in.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Sophia posted:

That's true, his cost of living might be low, and obviously there might be a lot of factors that affect this (does he have other savings, does he own a house, what kind of shape is it in, does he still have divorce costs, what is his health like, what kind of insurance will he have, is he good with money, what does he want to do in retirement) and 10-8 would know more about that than me for sure.

But $25-30K per year for 25 years doesn't sound sustainable even given the likelihood of even minor health problems in that period and his likely lack of good retirement health care (since his company has never had a pension plan outside of a 401k) and the rising cost of long-term care as he ages (especially given that the Baby Boomers are going to jack up costs like crazy in the next few years). That's not even counting the fact that he seems to not be all that great with financial concepts.

I would not recommend that anyone retire at 60 with only $725K in a 401k and no other pension options but Social Security, but if 10-8 thinks that his retirement horizon is actually only a few years away because of other reasons that I don't know about, then I agree that he should get him very very far out of the allocation he's currently in.
My dad says that if the company folds he'll try to get a job driving trucks, but he has diabetes and some other health problems and I just don't see that happening as much as he may dream it to be. As much as I love my dad, I've got to be realistic about what his opportunities are when he's in his sixties with a high school diploma and no real experience aside from managing the warehouse he's worked at since the 1970s. He doesn't own a home and basically doesn't have a penny to his name aside from his 401k. That's why I'm so concerned about protecting the funds in the plan; maybe I'm overly conservative, but it's literally all he has.

I looked more into his 401k plan and the plan allows for in-service distributions when he turns 59 1/2, so I'm going to tell him to leave his allocation as-is for the next year, and then in May 2012, when he turns 59 1/2, I'm going to recommend that he rollover the entire 401k balance into a Vanguard IRA where he can reallocate on the cheap and lower his expense costs, too.

I am going to take the thread's advice that perhaps 60% bonds is too conservative, so hopefully he will be happier with 40-45% bonds.

10-8 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 27, 2011

striking-wolf
Jun 16, 2003

weeeeeeeeeeeeezard
I have some simple questions. I just opened a Roth IRA (huzzah!) with ING's Sharebuilder, but being a lowly graduate student I can only fund it with about $400 at present, though I am hoping to contribute another $600 this year (it's more psychological than anything, really - I want the mentality of "I am investing for retirement"). At present I have so little that it seems as if trading fees would eat it up if I bought a bunch of different index funds. Is there a single fund I can buy that would do the trick until I have several thousand and can begin to diversify a bit? Along that same line, is it possible to buy a Vanguard ETF like VOO without either a Vanguard account or the $3,000 minimum that they seem to require when investing in it through them?

Thanks in advance!

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

That is a really rough situation 10-8. :( Good luck with everything. And definitely don't take my word as gospel, especially if you think there's a good chance he won't be able to find work in a couple of years. Better for him to have a comfortable amount of money for now than risk losing too much too young.

For what it's worth I think your plan of taking the money out at 59 1/2 for reinvestment elsewhere is a good one - you may want to check to see if there are tax implications for removing too much at once though, or if there is a difference between a distribution and a rollforward. I honestly have no idea if there would be, but better safe than sorry.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

10-8 posted:

That's why I'm so concerned about protecting the funds in the plan; maybe I'm overly conservative, but it's literally all he has.
I think a 59 year old should not be 90% aggressive/growth stocks-- he's going to get wiped out in the next crash and not have time to recover. The only equities I'd want to own at that point are some index ETFs or stuff that pays safe income/dividends like bonds and blue chips. He may be better off purchasing an annuity, actually, and maybe insurance if he has any concerns about passing something to children/grandchildren.

He should really consult a financial adviser or CFP. Which would be my advice to anyone approaching retirement. (I can't make my own parents listen though, so good luck!) :)

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

striking-wolf posted:

I have some simple questions. I just opened a Roth IRA (huzzah!) with ING's Sharebuilder, but being a lowly graduate student I can only fund it with about $400 at present, though I am hoping to contribute another $600 this year (it's more psychological than anything, really - I want the mentality of "I am investing for retirement"). At present I have so little that it seems as if trading fees would eat it up if I bought a bunch of different index funds. Is there a single fund I can buy that would do the trick until I have several thousand and can begin to diversify a bit? Along that same line, is it possible to buy a Vanguard ETF like VOO without either a Vanguard account or the $3,000 minimum that they seem to require when investing in it through them?

Thanks in advance!

You can use the: NFT(was that right?) They have 20+ funds from: American Century, Dreyfus, ING Funds, PIMCO that you can stick your money into for free.

The minimum should be $500 for each though, and I don't see a "one stop shop" or "target fund" from those that I can recall.

Even with Target Funds or One Stop Funds, you are looking at minimums of $1k to start, and $500 increments.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

striking-wolf posted:

Thanks in advance!

At that little it really doesn't matter. You could stick it in a money market account and won't notice much difference. Just avoid fees until you can start saving more. Still, good on you for starting early.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Anyone have personal experience or suggestions about value averaging vs. dollar cost averaging for long-term investments?

(My retirement accounts are entirely DCA, as I think that needs to be automated for me, but I could give quarterly value averaging a shot with other accounts if it seems worth it.)

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

onefish posted:

Anyone have personal experience or suggestions about value averaging vs. dollar cost averaging for long-term investments?

(My retirement accounts are entirely DCA, as I think that needs to be automated for me, but I could give quarterly value averaging a shot with other accounts if it seems worth it.)

These usually are only considered "strategies" when you have large amounts of money to move in at one lump and want to reduce risk at the cost of some expected gain. When you are already making monthly deposits it makes no sense to artificially sit out of the market just to do some averaging strategy (assuming you expect positive returns from the market in the long run, and if not why are you investing at all?).

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

onefish posted:

Value Cost Averaging can work in retirement accounts. It takes a lot more discipline and effort to make the investment. You'd likely want to reset your value calculation at given periods. Obviously, if you are investing long term, you are likely investing long term and hopefully your investment will go up (which would reduce your absolute contribution) Something annually though may not be a bad idea.

Most investment systems do not have automated value cost averaging features, so doing this can be difficult and if you forget to do it at the right time, you can actually work against yourself. If you've ever found yourself wishing you had more money to invest after one of your funds takes a (you hope) temporary hit, this is a good way to do it. It becomes even more complicated if your contribution is balanced between multiple funds.

On a side note, anyone know why some modern companies don't allow for automating this? It should be rather simple to do.

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009
How should I invest in my TSP?

I was previously in the L2040 fund, but have instead started taking a more active approach.

I am 26.

I want to retire at age 55. Mandatory retirement for my job is 57, anyways.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

fivetwo posted:

I was previously in the L2040 fund, but have instead started taking a more active approach.

I am 26.

What's wrong with the L2040, and what do you mean by a more active approach?

If the TSP was my only investment vehicle, I would have my money in the L2040. As it is, I have to balance between my and my wife's outside investments to come out with something a little more tax efficient.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

fivetwo posted:

I am 26.

Income? Contribution percentage? Retirement requirements? Risk tolerance? What grade do you expect to be when you retire? Do you expect to spend ~30 years in the same, exact job? Are you a law enforcement officer? How are you exempt from the 20 year in service mandatory retirement that goes with many of the age 57 requirement jobs?

You can look at the holdings of the life cycle funds and tweak yourself.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
What should my long term investment and retirement planning look like if I'm going to be ineligible to contribute to Roth IRAs due to (exceeding) income restrictions for an extended period of time? From what I've gathered all I can do is dump money into my company's 401k and get bilked out of money either through non-tax sheltered accounts or hoping some guy manages my money better than I would. Meanwhile, my Roth IRAs will just sit and do their thing until I start not making much money again or they raise the income restrictions or whatever. This wouldn't be a big deal and all if I was somewhat near retirement age, but I'm just 27 and only have about $80k in retirement accounts including my 401k and my wife has less than nothing so I feel very vulnerable (couldn't scrounge the money to open up an IRA for her after emergency upon emergency cleaned me out).

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

necrobobsledder posted:

What should my long term investment and retirement planning look like if I'm going to be ineligible to contribute to Roth IRAs due to (exceeding) income restrictions for an extended period of time? From what I've gathered all I can do is dump money into my company's 401k and get bilked out of money either through non-tax sheltered accounts or hoping some guy manages my money better than I would. Meanwhile, my Roth IRAs will just sit and do their thing until I start not making much money again or they raise the income restrictions or whatever. This wouldn't be a big deal and all if I was somewhat near retirement age, but I'm just 27 and only have about $80k in retirement accounts including my 401k and my wife has less than nothing so I feel very vulnerable (couldn't scrounge the money to open up an IRA for her after emergency upon emergency cleaned me out).
1) Max 401(k)
2) Invest in taxable accounts after that - choose funds to place in taxable accounts using information like http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Principles_of_Tax-Efficient_Fund_Placement

Also, you are like $80k ahead of most other people your age, so don't sweat it

You would have to have a really, really bad 401(k) to skip step 1), and keep in mind, you can always roll that over into a rollover IRA when you leave your current job, so even if it is terrible now, you can move it into a better account down the line.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.
Another thing you can do is fund a post-tax non-deductible IRA, and then immediately convert and roll it into your Roth IRA. In this manner, you still get the contribution and can skip around the income limits.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"
Just re-balanced my Tax Free Savings Account. Previously I was over-weight in precious metals equity and under-presented in debt. Now:

25% RBC Global Precious Metals Mutual Fund (RBF468)
15% iShares S&P TSX Capped Materials Index Fund (XMA-T)

10% Vanguard Consumers Staples ETF (VDC-N)

25% iShares DEX Short Term Bond Index Fund (XSB-T)
25% The Claymore Advantaged High Yield Bond ETF (CHB-T)

Both the mutual fund and XMA were fairly kind to me last year. But I will plan to re-balance to include a broad Canadian TSX index fund (probably XIU) if they don't start performing better this year.

My entire RRSP is in a wrap that's up 10% last year. MER is 1.6%. I plan to move it into an entirely ETF portfolio sometime soon.

Phlegmbot fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 1, 2011

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

That doesn't mean much if you don't tell us your total allocations, not just tax free.

But 40% precious metals seems crazy.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

gvibes posted:

That doesn't mean much if you don't tell us your total allocations, not just tax free.

But 40% precious metals seems crazy.

That is the total allocation, and it's all tax-free.

I agree I'm still over-weight in precious metals. It's much better than before, though. I'm OK with the risk. No plans for this money any time soon.

I watch the thing like a hawk and I will take action to protect my profit from last year.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Phlegmbot posted:

I agree I'm still over-weight in precious metals.

So you agree you are doing it wrong and don't care?

quote:

I'm OK with the risk...
I watch the thing like a hawk and I will take action to protect my profit from last year.

You track your portfolio extremely closely and would take hasty action to protect profits, yet you are okay with large amounts of risk? Does not compute.

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009

KennyG posted:

Income? Contribution percentage? Retirement requirements? Risk tolerance? What grade do you expect to be when you retire? Do you expect to spend ~30 years in the same, exact job? Are you a law enforcement officer? How are you exempt from the 20 year in service mandatory retirement that goes with many of the age 57 requirement jobs?

You can look at the holdings of the life cycle funds and tweak yourself.

Income is about 75k. I contribute 11%, so with match that's 16%.

Risk tolerance? I'm 26, so a lot?

I will retire at least as a 13.

by Active Management, I have been trying some of the strategies on TSPTalk, such as the Seasonal strategy.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

So you agree you are doing it wrong and don't care?

You track your portfolio extremely closely and would take hasty action to protect profits, yet you are okay with large amounts of risk? Does not compute.

Yeah, sorry I'm not expressing myself clearly. I watch it closely. I will re-balance my portfolio to something more sensible when my past gains are eroded to a predetermined set-point. I am OK with risking some of my past profits.

That's it. If anyone can recommend a good way to invest in broad Canadian equity besides XIU-T I would be grateful.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm in a similar position (I don't have an IRA because I got smarter about investing after starting to make too much) and I wouldn't spend much time worrying about your retirement if you already have 80k. Save money for life's (costly) surprises, make sure you have a big cushion, get your company's 401k match, and then try to be frugal. For some reason spending 10k on something doesn't feel as big of a deal when you have 100k in the bank, but you'll want it back if your brother asks to borrow that much to go to college. Basically if your income is high watch out for your expenditures, which will matter much more than your investment vehicles.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

If I am not very concerned with fluctuations and would like to try to increase the overall value of my portfolio, should I be sticking a larger percentage of my investment into one fund that is diversified or should I be investing in a few different funds that hopefully will provide me with some diversification.

I currently have 20,000 in Vanguard's small cap growth index, 10,000 in the mid cap index and about 10,000 in international growth. Closer to the end of the summer, when I am looking at adding more money, should I continue on in a similar path with a fund that might diversify more? Or with such a small amount of money should I be going with fewer funds and a higher amount?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

gtkor - Have you done any research on value vs growth? It may be counterintuitive, but in the past, value stocks have returned more than growth stocks. You want to consider dropping the growth lean.

Given how highly you are waited in small cap, your portfolio may be pretty volatile. In addition, a little bond investment can go a long way to smoothing that volatility.

Here is my asset allocation for instance:
10% - Vanguard International Value Index
20% - Vanguard Total International Index
20% - Vanguard Total Bond Index
30% - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
20% - Vanguard Small Cap Value Index

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

gvibes posted:

gtkor - Have you done any research on value vs growth? It may be counterintuitive, but in the past, value stocks have returned more than growth stocks. You want to consider dropping the growth lean.

Given how highly you are waited in small cap, your portfolio may be pretty volatile. In addition, a little bond investment can go a long way to smoothing that volatility.

Here is my asset allocation for instance:
10% - Vanguard International Value Index
20% - Vanguard Total International Index
20% - Vanguard Total Bond Index
30% - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
20% - Vanguard Small Cap Value Index

Thanks for the info. I have looked into value, but not any more specifically than just general research as far as finding a fund. If I were to start to shift a lean away from growth, should I do that all at once?

I'll certainly take another look at bonds. I think I'm still suffering from the idea that since I'm only 24, bonds are something I can hold off on until later.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

gtkor posted:

Thanks for the info. I have looked into value, but not any more specifically than just general research as far as finding a fund. If I were to start to shift a lean away from growth, should I do that all at once?

I'll certainly take another look at bonds. I think I'm still suffering from the idea that since I'm only 24, bonds are something I can hold off on until later.
I would split your future contributions into value and bonds until you hit your distribution target. That way you save on fees.

Bonds aren't for old people. It helps balance out your portfolio so when equities in general aren't doing well you can at least compensate with returns from your bonds allocation.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 2, 2011

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

cowofwar posted:

I would split your future contributions into value and bonds until you hit your distribution target. That way you save on fees.

Bonds aren't for old people. It helps balance out your portfolio so when equities in general aren't doing well you can at least compensate with returns from your bonds allocation.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks also for the help.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

I've got about $25k in student loan debt (all Stafford/federal subsidized/whatever, so no interest is accumulating) left over from when I went through some hard times. I'm still a student (grad school), but now things are much better. I'm easily going to max out my Roth IRA contributions this year, so I want to start getting ready to punch a big hole in the student loan debt the day I graduate. I figure I'll be able to save about $8000 in cash by the time I graduate (3 years).

I can't find a whole lot of advice on what to do in this situation, since the capacity to pay off student loan debt while still a student doesn't seem common. Can I do anything better than make weekly deposits into the highest yield savings account I can find?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008
Is there any significant difference between having a Vanguard target retirement 20XX fund Roth IRA vs having a Vanguard Roth IRA brokerage account, and in that account you are 100% invested in Vanguard target retirement 20XX ETFs?