Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Coagulated posted:

To be honest there's little more I'd like to see in the next GTA game than the return of the VW Beetle car.

And bicycles :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Himuro posted:

Things I want GTA5 to take from Saints Row 1/2:

- Cruise control
- The garage. You can you save any vehicle in your garage for later use and add to your growing collection. Garages are universal, so no matter what hideout, so long as your car is saved you can use it. If your car is destroyed you can pay a fee to get it back.

- Planes

- Gang stars, rival gangs get stars as well as police. Piss off a gang too much and you'll go on all out gang war mode.
- Hostages. Get in a car with someone in the passenger seat? Take them for hostage and start a side mission! How long can you outrun the police?
- Co-op.
- Cancel mission mid-mission.
- drug wars (basically stolen straight out of Chinatown Wars)

- Customize yourself: your personality, your movements, your walk, everything about yourself.
- The ability to buy vehicles.

- Fail a mission? Display a result screen that shows how much you suck and opt to return to checkpoint, beginning of mission, or cancel the mission. ONLY allow BUSTED and WASTED when not on a mission.
- Cell phone with actual use. Still have the ability to call friends but make it for useful calls only. Like, sending me a ride when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

I want all these things to be in GTA5. I am glad the Saint's Row franchise doesn't suck and I'm glad there is a noticable difference between the two games, but all of these things are reasonable in a GTA game without it starting to go Saint's Row/early GTA levels of wacky.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I am very much looking forward to Saints Row: The Third, but GTA is just a different take on the concept.
They can do plenty of wacky things, look at Yussef, Vice city in general, The Truth etc. but it is just a different take on the genre.

They can co-exist.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Give me the wackiness of the SR series with GTA4's driving physics and I'd be a happy man. The driving physics in the SR series is just too boring for me. No nuance. The cars all felt the same. It felt really boring coming to SR2 from GTA4, driving-wise.

The driving in GTA4 did take some getting used to, but you could pull off some amazing poo poo and just felt more satisfying to drive around when I mastered it. Doing 100 mph in a Saber GT made it really feel like the car had weight and momentum. Going all Benny Hill on the cops in a Futo was entertaining, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I definitely don't want a fully customizable character in a GTA game. R* is one of the very few developers that are good at writing characters, and they generally have been improving with each game.

I realize some people don't play GTA for the story, or actively dislike their stories, but it's clearly something they care about and I doubt they'd throw all that out the window just so you could customize your character.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Doppelganger posted:

Does anyone else compulsively run over people who ride Faggios? I don't have anything against scooters in real life, but when it comes to GTA, riding one in my presence means you're a goner.

My problem is I could never get enough speed to get a really satisfying hit on those dudes. Last night however I learned that the simple native trainer for Gay Tony lets you add nitrous to your car whenever you please. It can also be unlimited.

Many bikers flew into the sides of buildings for a solid hour :3:

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

ElwoodCuse posted:

Imagine a Saints Row game structure in a GTA game world with Rockstar's production budget. Goddamn.

Honestly all the customization stuff never interested me. Why spend time playing paper dolls when you can be wreaking havoc. I didn't care that there was basically none of it in GTA4 and had plenty of fun in Saints Row 2 without doing much of it at all. I played the whole time as either Ali G or Mike from Spaced.

There's something truly sublime about massacring pedestrians with a blunt object, in nothing but the one piece swimsuit that Sasha Baron Cohen wore in Borat. Though in GTAIV there was always the option to rock the ski mask.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Give me the wackiness of the SR series with GTA4's driving physics and I'd be a happy man. The driving physics in the SR series is just too boring for me. No nuance. The cars all felt the same. It felt really boring coming to SR2 from GTA4, driving-wise.

The driving in GTA4 did take some getting used to, but you could pull off some amazing poo poo and just felt more satisfying to drive around when I mastered it. Doing 100 mph in a Saber GT made it really feel like the car had weight and momentum. Going all Benny Hill on the cops in a Futo was entertaining, too.

Some of the handbrake tricks you could do in GTA4 were loving amazing. It's like every car chase is a 1970s car movie as you do a 180 and keep going after they failed a pit maneuver, then you power-slide the entirety of an off-ramp into broker before using a ramp to fly over a busy street.

GTA4 driving had a lot of subtlety that I loving loved.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Spalec posted:

I hope GTAV brings back the Hare Krishna lines from GTA1. That was hilarious then and with Euphoria ragdolls it'd be perfect.

Wait, THAT'S who those lines of orange guys were? I've been wondering about that for years, beyond their sole purpose to me as GOURANGA bonuses.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Coagulated posted:

To be honest there's little more I'd like to see in the next GTA game than the return of the VW Beetle car.
I've been asking for mail trucks since before Vice City.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Zedd posted:

They can co-exist.

Definately! Rockstar have taken on a much more story-driven approach to GTA (which is sometimes very serious, other times... not really!) Saints Row has always been silly fun. It is possible to be a fan of both :D

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

That, and also as soon as I heard "realistic NYC" I was like "gently caress yeah this one will have SKATEBOARDS".

I mean, come on, R*. Why the hell not? They should have been in SA, too. Dropping the ball, guys. Dropping. The. Ball.

Bully has a skateboard and it rules.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Gyshall posted:

graphical updates I should be aware of?

ENB series. Might take some time to get a nice config but after some playing around you can make it look pretty special.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Bully has a skateboard and it rules.
I like the Danny Elfman music that plays whenever you get on a bike.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doppelganger posted:

Seriously, it's like being the star of your own Pee Wee Herman movie.

If Rockstar made a Pee Wee Herman game, something like LA Noire where you solve the mystery of your missing bike, they'd officially be the best videogame publisher ever.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Was listening to Wave 103 today and the DJ lead-in to I Ran So Far Away is clearly meant to be for Video Killed The Radio Star, which is on an entirely other station for some reason.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The cars in SR2 pretty much handled like the cars from GTA3 with the perfect handling cheat on, on steroids. Way too twitchy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Was listening to Wave 103 today and the DJ lead-in to I Ran So Far Away is clearly meant to be for Video Killed The Radio Star, which is on an entirely other station for some reason.

All that means is that someone cared enough to classify that song as "pop" or whatever instead of "new wave" at the last second, but not quite enough to go in and change the dialogue from the radio announcer. Either that or they changed it too late and getting the DJ back to re-record a line would've been too much trouble.

I mean, nobody would've noticed or complained if Video Killed the Radio Star was on a new wave station, but Rockstar are just really serious (and anal) about their soundtracks I guess.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Tewratomeh posted:

Over half that list is basically saying "make GTA feel less like a video-game set in a believable location and more like some hybrid Swiss Army arcade game with a bunch of random features crammed in".

Although I admit that I'd love it if there were an unlockable mode in GTA V where it mimics the style of the old games like GTA 1 and 2. You get the wacky announcer guy, Elvis impersonators, rampages and all that.

That entire list is basically saying "make a few small modifications to existing gameplay mechanics." Nothing there would preclude a believable setting in the slightest, and certainly not "half the list." What exactly are you objecting to?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wish I could get ENBSeries working as well as those guys on GTAForums... :(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

I refuse to believe that it's possible for GTA IV to look that good (and I assume play that well) on a PC.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

Although I admit that I'd love it if there were an unlockable mode in GTA V where it mimics the style of the old games like GTA 1 and 2. You get the wacky announcer guy, Elvis impersonators, rampages and all that.
Rockstar should do some variant of Undead Nightmare for every game from now on.

Give me my serious game about an undercover cop losing his sense of morality and identity in the Los Santos drug trade. Then give me a silly DLC where I fly around in a jetpack setting Vinewood ablaze with my flamethrower and every other ridiculous idea they came up with during development.

I also don't really want the same level of customization as Saints Row. Still, I really hope they drop the preset outfits idea that they've been running with since Ballad of Gay Tony. I like playing dress-up.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah I don't think GTA needs customization of the underlying character, at least not beyond the San Andreas fat/thin wimpy/muscular deal, but they should learn some things from Saints Row's clothing system like creating custom outfits and a decent browsing system.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tewratomeh posted:

I mean, nobody would've noticed or complained if Video Killed the Radio Star was on a new wave station, but Rockstar are just really serious (and anal) about their soundtracks I guess.

Except when they're not:

quote:

DJ: Iggy Pop
Genre: Classic rock and hard rock

Tracklist:

* The Smashing Pumpkins – "1979"
* The Sisters of Mercy – "Dominion/Mother Russia"

:psyduck:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I can't believe I waited so long before installing trainers. Now I am finally free to run about the city shooting people up and doing whatever I want without worrying about pesky things like the police. It's turned into a whole other game for me. I wish GTAV would look as good and run as well as Mafia II does on my PC with the phys stuff turned off- that would really make my day. By the way, this is somewhat off topic, but any news on a Red Dead Redemption port to the PC?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Wow, I can't believe I never noticed that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JaS4_1bm0I&feature=player_detailpage#t=494s

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

precision posted:

Except when they're not

Let's not forget "Goodbye Horses" by Q Lazzarus. Because when I think classic rock, I think of eerie pop songs by androgynous-sounding women. I also think of Buffalo Bill.

But I think in that case, Iggy Pop actually picked some or all of the songs. That could explain why we get such an... interesting assortment.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I can't believe I waited so long before installing trainers. Now I am finally free to run about the city shooting people up and doing whatever I want without worrying about pesky things like the police. It's turned into a whole other game for me. I wish GTAV would look as good and run as well as Mafia II does on my PC with the phys stuff turned off- that would really make my day. By the way, this is somewhat off topic, but any news on a Red Dead Redemption port to the PC?

I loved the No Police cheat in San Andreas. I wish GTAIV would have brought it back and I'm still hoping GTA5 will.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tewratomeh posted:

I refuse to believe that it's possible for GTA IV to look that good (and I assume play that well) on a PC.

Look that good, yes, but play well? Not unless you have a high-end rig, preferably with lots of video RAM. Mainly it's because the engine doesn't support anti-aliasing natively, so it's done by upping (doubling) the resolution, applying a blur filter and downscaling the image. However, the performance hit isn't anywhere near as great if you disable AA and just use ambient occlusion, skylighting and so on, and the game will still look much better than vanilla.

My problem is currently that the sun is a big, white square, and I haven't found a fix for it yet.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

SplitSoul posted:

send this to kotaku and tell them it's an early screen from GTA5

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ElwoodCuse posted:

send this to kotaku and tell them it's an early screen from GTA5

Will be on the front page by tomorrow

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

precision posted:

Except when they're not:

:psyduck:
Smashing Pumpkins are classic rock by modern standards ;)

I don't see why Sisters of Mercy can't be classic rock either. The Cult are. Yeah it's a little gothy, but it's an awesome song. It's still predominantly guitar anyway, and more "rock" than most alternative in the era.

If you're not going in that direction, you're going toward hair/glam metal instead...

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Anyone know how to make the AA-12 in Gay Tony fire a bit faster? I've tried fiddling with the only value I can think of with a weapon editor (Time between shots), even going so far as to set it to zero, but it never speeds up and never slows down :psyduck:

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

I don't see why Sisters of Mercy can't be classic rock either. The Cult are. Yeah it's a little gothy, but it's an awesome song. It's still predominantly guitar anyway, and more "rock" than most alternative in the era.
Dominion is my favorite song in GTA IV. I'm more or less incapable of braking or slowing down when it comes on.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone know how to make the AA-12 in Gay Tony fire a bit faster? I've tried fiddling with the only value I can think of with a weapon editor (Time between shots), even going so far as to set it to zero, but it never speeds up and never slows down :psyduck:

The two AA-12s are different guns, maybe you're changing the wrong one?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

K8.0 posted:

The two AA-12s are different guns, maybe you're changing the wrong one?

That's not it :( I changed the value on both and nothing changed. I know the file isn't read only as I've changed weapon effective range, target range, impact force, all sorts of stuff.

Also tightening the spread on the explosive version was hilarious. With the default value of 200 impact it'd juuuust about knock an ambulance over :haw:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Something about my computer causes the police in GTA games not to work properly. In San Andreas I would get two stars but no police would show up anywhere. ANd I just plowed into the back of a cop in GTAIV, well he just drove off, sometime life's ok.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Doppelganger posted:

Shawn Lee music. :argh:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I live in Glasgow, which is one hour from Edinburgh the home of Rockstar (at least for the older games). Over the past few weeks I've been seeing Vice City stickers stuck onto the City maps. I've also seen the same stickers on a few shop windows.

Don't know if it's just vandals or a basic guerrilla marketing campaign. I'll get pics of them next time I come across them.

EDIT :: Actually it's a lovely campaign for a new night club that's opening :(

The logo of which strikes a strong resemblance to the game's:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vice-City/200099996680931?sk=info

gently caress that, it's exactly the same. I've been duped!!

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
I can't believe I don't remember, but did you have the option to use the mouse in the original? Or did you have to use the arrow keys to rotate your guy and shoot with the space bar? I'm pretty sure you couldn't use the mouse.

I feel like they should do a re-vamp of the original. Not in place of another sequel, but something cheap to tide us all over.

Have the left stick move/strafe and have the right stick rotate the player.

You guys get what I'm sayin, right?

• Locked thread