Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
:argh: ok ok I scraped off a majority of the coralline on the big panes and a significant portion of it from the side panes so stop complaining about it :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
It's cool dude, I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to my glass also.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
haha its funny everyone here is worried about cleaning coralline off of glass and my tank is just about at the point where its starting to cover plastics and my powerheads. I'm literally watching and love seeing it pop up all over the place.

My baby tank :)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlKjLggbCyM

Quick video capped with my phone.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
The only thing I have on my glass that annoys me is the green algae that grows in the corners and edges where my magfloat can't get to. I'll buy a scraper eventually.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dono posted:

haha its funny everyone here is worried about cleaning coralline off of glass and my tank is just about at the point where its starting to cover plastics and my powerheads. I'm literally watching and love seeing it pop up all over the place.

My baby tank :)

All my coraline is dying.. It completely covered the back wall of my Aquapod, my skimmer, return and poweheads but now it's all tuning white.

drat moving.. I hate draining my tanks :( Also another lovely thing is now my rockwork looks all weird because I couldn't figure out how I had it before lol.

On a lighter note, i was able to remove about 90% of my GHA while I had the tank broken down.

Lazy Bastard
Aug 23, 2004
Laziness is an art

Dono posted:

-I'm going to be upgrading my powerheads.

-In the next week or two I'm adding my GFO reactor.

-Dosing. Will the 2 part Calc/Alk and Mag supplements be enough?

-Controller.

I got a Nano wavebox and it isn't really good for sps water flow, you still need powerheads (still love the look of the wavebox water movement though). The wavebox just moves the water back and forth bit by bit, polyps will wave but you can see particles in the water are circulating very slowly. I got 3 maxi-jet with algae free mod and 2 koralia evo 1400, the maxi-jet moves a ton more water. I plan on getting a mp40 to start with and then see if I need another mp40 or mp10 for the other side.

I had GFO but now I'm dosing vodka/vinegar. I find that I can feed way more (have to actually) than when I was using just GFO. Contemplating about moving on to Bio-pellets just so I don't have to dose manually everyday. I run carbon all the time, I believe it helps with cleaning up the toxins that corals release against each other, also for water clarity. If you get the BRS GFO reactor (I love BRS), it comes with compartment for GFO and carbon in one container.

Dosing BRS 2 part, a starter package will last you for months, especially when you are just starting with SPS. When I had my huge clam, I would go through it really fast but that thing was like a foot long. I got 2 big acro colony and tons of frags and I am only dosing 50 ml alk/cal a day. 2 part + BRS dosers are definitely the way to go now a days.

Just got the Apex controller and it is the loving bomb! Control your tank with your iphone/ipad/android, yes please. Being able to get alerts and check on your tank when you're out and about is awesome. Having the controller makes everything easier and really ease my mind when I am away from the tank for more than a day or two.

Cleaning the glass: Easy Blade + a 350 Mag-Float (glass tanks only) is so good for removing coralline on glass that I have to rate it as my second most favorite piece of equipment for the tank, right below the Apex.

Rockscaping gotta be one of the most time consuming task. I can spend hours moving just 3 or 4 rocks around before I get it to the way I like.

Lazy Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 27, 2011

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

SaNChEzZ posted:

All my coraline is dying.. It completely covered the back wall of my Aquapod, my skimmer, return and poweheads but now it's all tuning white.

drat moving.. I hate draining my tanks :( Also another lovely thing is now my rockwork looks all weird because I couldn't figure out how I had it before lol.

On a lighter note, i was able to remove about 90% of my GHA while I had the tank broken down.

Yeah ours all bleached white and then vanished after we moved. It still has yet to come back after four months.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

revmoo posted:

Yeah ours all bleached white and then vanished after we moved. It still has yet to come back after four months.

It sucks doesn't it :( I kept all the rocks submerged as almost every one has some kind of coral on it, so it should repopulate assuming I keep up on the dosing properly (just 2 part and mag, not purple up that stuff sucks)

Emancipator
Mar 6, 2001

Lazy Bastard posted:

If you get the BRS GFO reactor (I love BRS), it comes with compartment for GFO and carbon in one container.

Thanks for saving me time researching a reactor. This is exactly what I had imagined in my head. Just ordered it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

SaNChEzZ posted:

It sucks doesn't it :( I kept all the rocks submerged as almost every one has some kind of coral on it, so it should repopulate assuming I keep up on the dosing properly (just 2 part and mag, not purple up that stuff sucks)

I miss it. Now the back of our tank is coated in hair algae.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
why would you put GFO and carbon is the same reactor? They both have different lengths of use and require different amounts of flow to be efficient. Not that they cant work in the same container, but it is such a waste and not efficient at all.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

SaNChEzZ posted:

Curious about this - why does Purple Up suck? I've used it for a while and I've always had great growth of purples/pinks (maybe even too much). Now I'm kind of curious if it's just because I have good water parameters and my salt mix is top-notch or if this stuff actually works.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Furious Mittens posted:

Curious about this - why does Purple Up suck? I've used it for a while and I've always had great growth of purples/pinks (maybe even too much). Now I'm kind of curious if it's just because I have good water parameters and my salt mix is top-notch or if this stuff actually works.

I used it for about a month when my tank started developing coraline onto the back wall and it didn't really accelerate growth at all that I noticed. I cut it out, continued with water changes and it kept on going just as it was before. I've heard that if you scrub coraline with a toothbrush and get some of the particles to land in other places in the tank it will take root and develop that way too.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
Some new pics from my tank

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."
Looks amazing. Always good to see a tank using T5's full of invertebrate life.

I'm really having to resist buying a tank, hood, and stand today. I have the money and enough cash left over to start building the faux reef wall on the back of the tank. I just have to keep telling myself that it won't do any good until I can get the rest of the equipment.

Also, there's this whole issue of moving in a month that would just make it another large object to lug around. :sigh:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 4, 2011

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Coral looks great! I see you have a nice Bubble Algae problem though

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dono posted:

Coral looks great! I see you have a nice Bubble Algae problem though

Yeah, it came in on that rock the mini carpets came on. It's dying back now though. I have a juvenile powder brown tang and a phosphate reactor working on it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't have any cool pictures of my awesome tank, because my tank is not awesome yet. But it has finished cycling, about 3 weeks ago, and I have been slowly adding a clean up crew. Just a few shots I thought were cool.

Scarlet Reef Hermit and a Trochus Snail hanging out, with what looks like a Nassarius Snail on his back.

Fighting Conch and a Scarlet Reef Hermit hanging out. If you've never seen a Conch before, they are crazy little animals. They also bury under the sand and stick their eyes out.

Fighting Conch standing up on his foot and making a goofy face. These guys are awesome to watch. They move around with that one foot, standing up and basically falling forward.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I started a Nano Reef in a 29G BioCube a couple months ago and have just now gotten to the point where I'm ready to stock it. Cycled the tank with a Deep Sand Bed and about 25lbs of live rock and everything has been going very, very well - didn't even have much, if any, problems during the cycle like I used to have with my 50g and 75g setups - probably because I finally put together a nice little sump/refugium setup with this one that has made the investment worth it. I'm fighting a little bit of brown/green hair algae issue at the moment, but the cleaning crew is mowing it down and I put a very small long spine urchin in the tank that absoloutely devours the brown stuff. He'll get too big eventually for the tank, but he's probably the most relaxed urchin I've seen in that he's never waved his spines or thrust them at me while cleaning, rearranging or handling him, so here's to hoping that it continues once I move him to a bigger tank.

I've got in mind that I'd like to turn this into a showpiece for corals. I've got Metal Halide lighting and looking to upgrade to LED once I get the time and extra cash to do so. In the past, I've only gotten corals that are easy to take care of (Kenya Tree, GSP, etc.) but I'd really like to try some of the more advanced corals since I've got the capacity to do so now. I like the flowing corals (think frogspawn/torch like) but I don't want to get something that's going to need a lot of room to expand, and since this is my first foray into the Nano-reef world, I'm still trying to figure it all out. Currently, there is nothing in my tank other than rock, sand, snails, coraline, and a small rock that I found to be growing GSP which is cool and I can manage that. Any other suggestions from some of you Goons that have some experience in the Nano world?

(I also want to plug Premium Aquatics as a good source for rock/sand as an alternative to your LFS or other source. I had never ordered online before, but found their site and the variety of rock they had. I ordered about 12 pounds of rock and 10 pounds of sand from them and they came loaded with all kinds of life and hitchhikers at a reasonable rate and cheap shipping. The rock was better quality than what my LFS was charging 6.99/lb and was $2.00/lb cheaper to boot.)

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
@Internet- that snail looks more like a stomatella than a Nassarius, but I could be wrong.

@Furious Mittens- Congrats on getting the new tank setup! I would be careful with a torch in a tank that size, they have 6-8" sweeper tentacles that will kill anything in it's path. A small tank like that might not be the best place. Good luck and be careful with that GSP, it will take up a lot of real estate really quickly.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Dono posted:

@Furious Mittens- Congrats on getting the new tank setup! I would be careful with a torch in a tank that size, they have 6-8" sweeper tentacles that will kill anything in it's path. A small tank like that might not be the best place. Good luck and be careful with that GSP, it will take up a lot of real estate really quickly.

I've been down the GSP road before and had it take over a tank (Even on the walls!). It was a good learning experience though, since I learned to frag on that stuff and learned the hard way to keep up with it and under control. My LFS has always bought the extras I fragged out since they pretty much only stock aquacultured stuff anymore, so that's a plus

I was concerned about the size of the torches and such. I've had some frogspawn and torches in my bigger tanks and they do end up either killing or having to move them. I wonder if there are any others along these lines that do not get as long when extended? I've looked around and haven't had much luck finding anything that fits.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
I have a really nice green/pink hammer with about 5 heads right now that does not have any noticeable sweeper tentacles. Whether or not it has them in my tank (75gal) is irrelevant because of the space it has, but it may be an option for you if some Hammers might not have a sweeper.

Emancipator
Mar 6, 2001
My pink Hammer has 4 heads and doesn't have any sweeper tentacles to speak of either. It's been living pretty close to a Nepthia and a Kenya tree with no horrific results.

My Frogspawn, on the other hand, had to be given it's own corner of the tank. It was a :cthulhu: killing machine with it's sweepers.

They've been aquaculturing Flower Pots for awhile and they look pretty cool, sway nicely and don't slaughter their neighbors. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about keeping them and how fragile they are but I have one going on 6 months now and it's been fine. ( I stupidly bought it without knowing a drat thing about it )

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I have 3 hammers and a frogspawn that all have sweepers. The frogspawn was sitting on a fragrack and burned somewhat more than a couple of frags. For now the frogspawn has been banished to the sump where it's doing just fine with the single daylight macro-growing bulb.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

How long does it take your hammers to split new heads? I've had mine for ~3 months and it still has 2 heads. The tentacles are a lot larger than they were when I got it, but it's still just two giant heads. In contrast, I've got a candy cane that's split from 2 to 5 heads in the same amount of time.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I have a 3 headed frogspawn that has no sweepers at all. It just looks fluffy during the day, then when the lights go off it curls up and goes to sleep like the rest of the softies (minus the acans.. they dance around at night).

I also have some Xenia if you'd like frags of that? It's banished to it's own little rock in the corner so it grows then grows on top of itself, smothering the bottom one, then repeats.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Melchior posted:

How long does it take your hammers to split new heads? I've had mine for ~3 months and it still has 2 heads. The tentacles are a lot larger than they were when I got it, but it's still just two giant heads. In contrast, I've got a candy cane that's split from 2 to 5 heads in the same amount of time.

I've had a single head of a hammer split and become 3 heads fairly recently, but it took a few months to get to that point.

I also have 2-3 baby heads growing out of the skeleton base of a 4-headed colony.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Often euphyllids tolerate other euphyllids well enough. I have two torches, a hammer and a bubble that are close enough to sting each other.

If you try to isolate them and use your powerheads to push sweepers away from other corals, I think they can work fine in a 29 gal.

You might want to consider duncans and elegance if you like flowy LPS, although the latter can be touchy.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Trillian posted:

Often euphyllids tolerate other euphyllids well enough. I have two torches, a hammer and a bubble that are close enough to sting each other.

If you try to isolate them and use your powerheads to push sweepers away from other corals, I think they can work fine in a 29 gal.

You might want to consider duncans and elegance if you like flowy LPS, although the latter can be touchy.

That's a really good idea. I'm still tinkering around with my circulation pumps to get the currents the way I want them, but I've got plenty of flow to handle most anything within my current setup. I may be able to swing something like that if I get the corals in the right sizes so I can keep them pruned where necessary if they start taking off. In my past experience, LPS have always seemed to be a slow grower for me, not sure why. I saw a really nice Hammer specimen on LiveAquaria.com in their Divers Den earlier today and I may start with one of those and kind of build from there. I went back a little later and that hammer was gone from the site, but I'm sure they will get more eventually or I'll run into one at my LFS.

Upon closer examination of my tank tonight, it looks like I've got a couple of Candy Cane's (Caulastrea furcata) growing on a really small piece of live rock. No idea where those came from because this tank has been up almost 3 months and I've not noticed them until tonight while I was doing some rearranging. Nice surprise to see!

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Melchior posted:

I started with 2 heads of branching hammer coral (sitting on the bottom of my tank) and it has split into 5 heads in about 2 months. The key, in my opinion, is spot feeding. I saw a noticeable difference in growth once I started target feeding my LPS corals.

@Furious mittens- check your local reef club for some frags of hammer coral. you can usually get some pest free frags for free or cheap!

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

One of my clowns decided to go on a vacation to my overflow and ended up flopping around in the middle chamber on the grate, dry. Luckily i was sitting next to the tank and heard the telltale *flop* ..... *flop* and was able to toss him back into the tank. He's swimming well enough, let's hope he isn't the next great cleanup crew feast tomorrow morning.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I was just doing my last inspection of the tank before bed and just noticed one of my serpent stars "belly up" under a rock and his arms were very loose and he looked dead. Put on the gloves and went to pull him out as my tank is still new and not sure how it would handle it. I pulled, trying to remove him from under the rock and his arm ripped off. At this point I realize he's alive and has now shoved himself all the way up in the rock.

I feel like an rear end in a top hat. :(

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I'm pretty sure they will grow back. The harm, if any, is done. Lesson learned and just try and be more careful.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of the law of unintended consequences, I just read an excerpt of a new article that will come out in the next Coral magazine that links activated carbon usage to HLLE (lateral line erosion, or hole in the head) syndrome in fish such as tangs.

So think about that, between that new knowledge and that ferric oxide media reactors have been linked to exacerbating things like pinched mantle disease in clams.

Coincidentally (not coincidentally), one of my show sized clams died to PMD this week, probably because I kicked up the GFO reactor to 12 hours a day. I immediately dipped the other clams that looked even vaguely and remotely LIKELY to have initial stages of PMD, and I'll repeat that dip in another 48 hours.

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/05/06/activated-carbon-might-cause-head-and-lateral-line-erosion-in-fish/

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 6, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Welp.

Went to a fellow reefer's house today to get some seed water/rock/sand for my tank. He ended up being pretty generous and gave me a bunch of Kenya Trees, mushrooms, starfish, some baby anemones that I can't remember the name of, etc., as well as a pair of Clownfish. I was hesitant to put ANYTHING into my tank because it isn't cycled yet, but he assured me that everything he gave me is really hardy and will be just fine. Then he came over to my apartment to help set some stuff up and promptly found like 15,894 things wrong with my set-up.

Biggest lesson I learned today: don't use superfine sand for your aquarium. Or if you do, at least rinse it first so that it doesn't cloud up your tank so bad you can't see an inch into it. Now I have to run heavy filtration overnight to pull the fine sediment stuff out of the water, and I can't put any of the stuff I got into my tank until then.

Any recommendations on what I can do to clear up the water quickly? Right now I have my protein skimmer running and some loose foam stuff packed into the sump to trap stuff.

Ugh, I wish I had waited another 15 minutes until he arrived at my place before I started dumping that damned sand into my tank. :argh:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Mushrooms are ok, but hopefully those baby nems aren't majanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

arioch posted:

Mushrooms are ok, but hopefully those baby nems aren't majanos.
Hmm, I hope not. His tank was pretty wild with growth, like a zoo in there. Everything was pretty healthy, though. I'll try to get some pics and ID the anemones before I put them into the tank.

• Locked thread