Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Here's some pics from my imgur album. I have had more adventures since last summer when I bought it, but these are the first pics I put up in imgur. We (the wife/kids/me) try to hit a new mountain every time we go out, or at least a new part of an old mountain, so we aren't rehashing trails we've been on before. Today was Little Mountain/Mile Run Rd/Red Tongue Trail north of Rt. 80 here in Central PA. Spent most of the time just exploring state park roads, but found a really narrow and rocky/muddy trail as well.

Bronco is totally stock. I am very glad for the factory skid plates, which kept the diffs, transfer case and gas tank nice and protected. I think I am going to put a set of BFG T/A KO's on it when these no-name tires wear out. I don't want super aggressive, but I would like some more bite, especially on the side lugs.

Original Pics are HUGE.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

InitialDave posted:

Didn't some states pass a law that tyres MUST be snow-rated, effectively outlawing perfectly good tyres without the correct sidewall markings? I think I saw a post on another forum from someone bitching that he'd had to replace an almost new set of tyres.

I've seen that before...

:haw: Hay guyz... How come I got a ticket for running my new tires.. I got a fix it ticket and they're no good anymore... :mad:

I think the problem is many guys buy the "red tag" or race versions of big tires which may be in some cases cheaper than DOT legal tires and that's what they get busted on. Especially in areas where the cops hand out Adam Henry tickets to 4x4'ers.

In the southwest you got a huge supply of take off 35-37-39" race tires which can be reused on a full size truck or a lifted jeep with no issues other than not being DOT legal.

I've seen cases where a race version of a BFG tire was around $400 a tire where a DOT version is around $700. So I can see some people being sneaky with that. Or folks on priate 4x4 forums selling red tag tires without telling the end customers that.

In the case of snow, I know theres a DOT "snow chain" symbol stamped on the side wall indicating the tire is OK without chains in areas that require chains.. they hae a little snowflake graphic with an embossed mountain outline around it.

They're stamped on many of the AT/MT BFG Goodrich and Goodyear tires I've seen on trucks if you look for them.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Went to the 2011 Tuff Truck weekend recently, here's some photos.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ferremit posted:

Did you know they can be had with a 4.0L Straight six turbo diesel?

Not. Helping.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

:argh:

Ran over to get the new IROK's on lovely hummer 1 piece steels only to find out they weren't IROK's but TSL-SX Bias plys. :mad:

That was a big waste of time, but I'm glad I caught that before rolling out of the shop. Ah well back to the tire hunt, I'll probably just get a set of surplus MT's for chewing up. If I was trailing the rig I wouldn't care about bias plys but there's no way I'm driving on the highway with them for a few hours to get to a trail then drive back again.

Went up to Big Bear, ran up Gold Mountain across the rock gardens and dropped down to the fireroad near John Bull. It was after lunch and there was already a small traffic jam there.. plus my tires were poo poo so I didn't bother with John Bull this weekend :(

Next time I'll go directly to John Bull with a small group and cut right to the trail head instead of taking the scenic route. Ie. Do the hard trail first and save the easy stuff for the afternoon.

I'll post pictures once I get it uploaded, fun day.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 18, 2011

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
I am looking for some (fashion) opinions. I just ordered new wheels and tires for my 1966 International Scout. The wheels are black Cragar Soft 8s, and the tires are 235/85/16 BFG T/A KO. The question is, black or white letters facing out?

In general, I like the look of white-letters-out, and that is what I did on my Jeep. I also think that the white letters may look more appropriate for a classic vehicle, and putting the black side out may be too much black. I am not worried about scuffing the white letters, or having to keep them clean, so those are not factors.

On the other hand, there is no other white on the truck, and I'm worried the white letters might make things too bus. Plus, the all-black look might be pretty good.

As fair warning, I may end up ignoring everyone's opinion, so don't be offended if that happens! I'm just trying to get some more input on the matter. I have attached a "before" picture for reference. The tires/wheels won't be arriving for about a month, so don't get too excited about pictures any time soon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CatBus posted:

I am looking for some (fashion) opinions. I just ordered new wheels and tires for my 1966 International Scout. The wheels are black Cragar Soft 8s, and the tires are 235/85/16 BFG T/A KO. The question is, black or white letters facing out?

In general, I like the look of white-letters-out, and that is what I did on my Jeep. I also think that the white letters may look more appropriate for a classic vehicle, and putting the black side out may be too much black. I am not worried about scuffing the white letters, or having to keep them clean, so those are not factors.

On the other hand, there is no other white on the truck, and I'm worried the white letters might make things too bus. Plus, the all-black look might be pretty good.

As fair warning, I may end up ignoring everyone's opinion, so don't be offended if that happens! I'm just trying to get some more input on the matter. I have attached a "before" picture for reference. The tires/wheels won't be arriving for about a month, so don't get too excited about pictures any time soon.

Letters in man.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Letters out damnit.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
White letters for sure--I have BFG T/A KO's with black letters on my XJ and it's pretty blah. Next time I buy them I'm getting white letters.

edit: The blah of dirty black tires with black letters:

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 20, 2011

Captain Crunk
Jun 19, 2005
Lurking for 2 years...
Okay, I've got some pictures from Wheelin' around here locally with friends.
I don't own a 4x4 yet, but this thread is really encouraging.

I only chose 4 pictures, I've got boatloads more if anyone is interested.

One day, went out solo wheeling (with a winch, but no other truck) and drove under a tree:

Another day went up and it was snowy almost immediately, but gorgeous:

When we went further we hit a hill in the woods and slid down sideways. This was before we had a winch and it took 3 hours to free ourselves with the aid of a come-a-long and a second truck:

Finally, on another day we were on the "easiest trail in the park!"; which defeated us. Then we took the road that paralleled the trail. Friend there slid down and wedged his truck sideways in a drift.

I so badly love 4x4ing now, but I have too many cars and need to sell one. It's so hard to get up the courage to say goodbye to one of my beloved projects though :(

Captain Crunk fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 20, 2011

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

D C posted:

Letters out damnit.

Definitely, if they have white letters put them out. Putting white letters in looks retarded because everyone still sees them. If i see a truck with white letters in i automatically figure the owner is a lazy sob who can't be bothered to clean his tires.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Dirty you say?

Also my Jeep is now dirty more than it is clean, and gently caress cleaning tires. I'm in Uwharrie at least once a month. Theres no way I'm going to be bothered with scrubbing and loving with tires knowing they're just gonne be scuffed to gently caress in another few weeks. I MIGHT go to a car wash and let them gently caress with the tires if I'm feelin squirreley.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

If you're the type of person that yearns for the approval of others by advertising your choice of mild all-terrain tire brand with white lettering, then for sure you should go letters out. You should also be buying $70 t-shirts with the designer's name written in large type on the front.

Most people don't care what your tire brand of choice is, and if they really care, they can walk up and read the black lettering. Why have a weird looking half-assed whitewall effect?

CatBus
May 12, 2001

murphle posted:

If you're the type of person that yearns for the approval of others by advertising your choice of mild all-terrain tire brand with white lettering, then for sure you should go letters out. You should also be buying $70 t-shirts with the designer's name written in large type on the front.

Most people don't care what your tire brand of choice is, and if they really care, they can walk up and read the black lettering. Why have a weird looking half-assed whitewall effect?

Brand advertising really isn't a concern, color balance is, as I made clear in my post. I will put you down for a "black side out" vote, but by your angsty logic I will also need to remove all the badges on the vehicle, and shave the lettering off the tailgate.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Letters in. Letters out feels too 80's show truck. But if you are rockin' dual steering stabilizer, quad shocks at every corner, a windshield visor, and a killer custom 2-tone fade paint job w/ ghost flames, go for it.

In all honesty, it really doesn't matter, but letters in looks better to me.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Letters in. Always letters in. Also, they make rubber paint that works wonders on covering that gaudy white lettering on the inside of the tires. I've used it on every set of every 4WD I've owned over the years.

The only time white looks good on a tire is if it's honest to god whitewalls on a trick classic vehicle.

But this is all subjective.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Most people who care about off road tires will be able to know the tire from the tread pattern :smug:

I like the white walls out, and on the desert racers the white walls are out for obvious reasons [or Red in the case of General Tire].

A few pictures from last weekend at Big Bear Lake, tons of 4x4 action as usual, but John Bull was plugged up so many folks bailed on the trail and those that did found a trail blockage, not sure if it was a fallen tree or a boulder that fell...

We started off with 3N69 "Gold Mountain" with the plan to hit John Bull 3N10.

The trail is high altitude mountain climb with rock gardens tossed here and there, along with the remains of a 1800's old gold mining operation

About 2/3 of the way through the trail there is a large debris field with sharp rocks running about 3-4+ foot deep, no soft soil and some big rocks to have fun on.

The H2 going through the rocks...

My friends rubicon on a tricky climb. The first pic is a 3 foot drop at an odd angle. Lifted Jeeps and the H1's had no problem with this but everyone else went on the bypass which had stacked rocks which made hangups less of an issue.

My friends bone stock 1995 Hummer. If I had my time back I would have gotten one of these. All mechanical, way less electrical, roll up windows, minimal creature comforts. Bone stock except for the light bar and rear tire rack.

Some mud...

My favorite jeep of the day...

A good run, we ran longer than what we liked but there was a lot of club traffic on the trails with backups here and there. No one in our group broke down and we only needed to bust out the tow strap once so all and all a good day.

I finally got my wheels and tires I wanted. Our tax dollars at work :v:

Surplus HMMWV up-armored 24 bolt wheels with double beadlock and runflat with 37x12.5x16.5" MTR's [! very hard to get this in 16.5]

160 lbs each.. now I got to order new airlines for the CTI system then back to John Bull in 2 weeks :haw:

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Goddamn West coasters.:argh:

I'd love to get out there.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
So do those have the rubber donut runflat or the bolt up semi-circular magnesium jobbers?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Skyssx posted:

So do those have the rubber donut runflat or the bolt up semi-circular magnesium jobbers?

Rubber donut. The magnesiums were phased out a long time ago... they had a tenancy to pinch the sidewall of the tire when running at low psi.

The only trucks that should be running magnesium runflats these days are ancient national guard HMMWV's that haven't been upgraded yet [usually with the 36" bias ply goodyears and the 8 bolt wheels].

Most of them are the big rubber donut acting as the runflat and double beadlock made by Hutchinson.

They build all of them for the different humvees and hummer models, there's even a 2 piece rubber model which is used on the non-split H1 wheels.

The same company makes them for other makes and models under the Rock Monster:

http://www.rockmonsterwheels.com/products.php

They don't have the donut, just the beadlock, but I'm guessing there may be a beadlock insert that goes in as well...

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Northerntool.com is having a Warn winch sale: $80 off the price of any of their winches, until July 31 (mail in rebate). I am not sure if any of the winches qualify for their free shipping, but this may be a good time to buy a winch, if you need one. They also price match, but I'm not sure if they would do that with the rebate.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_winches+rebate

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

CatBus posted:

Northerntool.com is having a Warn winch sale: $80 off the price of any of their winches, until July 31 (mail in rebate). I am not sure if any of the winches qualify for their free shipping, but this may be a good time to buy a winch, if you need one. They also price match, but I'm not sure if they would do that with the rebate.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_winches+rebate

Warn has a new series of budget winches starting at 399 called the VR series.

8000lb is 399 warn name, warn warranty. looks great.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I need to find somewhere to break in my "new" '05 FX4. NY hates offroading almost as much as guns though.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Geared Hub posted:

Rubber donut. The magnesiums were phased out a long time ago... they had a tenancy to pinch the sidewall of the tire when running at low psi.

The only trucks that should be running magnesium runflats these days are ancient national guard HMMWV's that haven't been upgraded yet [usually with the 36" bias ply goodyears and the 8 bolt wheels].

Most of them are the big rubber donut acting as the runflat and double beadlock made by Hutchinson.

v0v

The only time I changed HMMWV tires I had to dick around with the mags and was happy to do so. The truck was running Goodyear 36" tires, I forget the designation. They had a solid center band surrounded by two broken bands and then nearly perpendicular lugs around both perimeters.

I have never had the pleasure of swapping out the rubber donuts in the 37" MTs. All I know is that it involves a lot of ratchet straps, pry bars and swearing.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Skyssx posted:

v0v

The only time I changed HMMWV tires I had to dick around with the mags and was happy to do so. The truck was running Goodyear 36" tires, I forget the designation. They had a solid center band surrounded by two broken bands and then nearly perpendicular lugs around both perimeters.

I have never had the pleasure of swapping out the rubber donuts in the 37" MTs. All I know is that it involves a lot of ratchet straps, pry bars and swearing.

Those were Eagle II's, there's also the 2 piece rubber/fiberglass runflats, they're not a pain to deal with but they lack the beadlock or they have a half donut insert that acts as the beadlock for the opposite side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2DT0kLKO8

:haw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJK9wGiooL8

Yeah, its a pain, most hummer owners ditch these for alloys if they don't do the work themselves. Most tire shops won't touch them and the ones that do will want a days worth of labor for loving with the things.

The upshot is you can make an sunday afternoon out of it at home, you just need the runflat lube, 2 pry pars and 2 quality ratchet straps. No tire machine needed.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Got to take the Cruiser out bush today- nothing too hardcore, but playing in the mountains around canberra.

This is pretty much as its sitting today

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Out checking some fire lookouts?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Ozmiander posted:

I need to find somewhere to break in my "new" '05 FX4. NY hates offroading almost as much as guns though.

Where in NY?

I have some private land upstate, and can point you in the direction of some private land in central NY

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

apatite posted:

Where in NY?

I have some private land upstate, and can point you in the direction of some private land in central NY

I live just north of Albany.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Out checking some fire lookouts?

Mt Coree and then down to Flea Creek before heading back in via the Cotter. Nothing too hardcore since we were on our own and the vehicle had to survive to drive to Adelaide today!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Ozmiander posted:

I live just north of Albany.

check out http://www.rok-freekz.com -- I think their land is about an hour west of Albany but can't remember for sure.

Not affiliated or any of that jazz, but ran into the club leader or whatever he calls himself at an event last year up here in the north and heard about the place. They claim to have everything from mild to wild, but seem to be kinda secretive and have weird dates for trail runs with very little notification

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Well, much to my surprise, my tires showed up three weeks early. The white letter in/out question was solved by chance, since I never called. Luck was on my side, because the final product looks awesome (in my opinion). It has been POURING rain, so the pictures aren't too great, but here you go:

With the "before" picture, for reference:

CatBus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 27, 2011

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CatBus posted:

Well, much to my surprise, my tires showed up three weeks early. The white letter in/out question was solved by chance, since I never called. Luck was on my side, because the final product looks awesome (in my opinion).

See? Your SHOP knows which way to mount them! :thumbsup:

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
My new 32x11.5x15 wrangler MTR /w Kevlar are asymmetric tread (inside needs to go inside outside goes outside) and you have to put them on with the white letters out :( Only when you get up to like 35" do they go black both sides.

Ive gotten tons of compliments on how bad rear end they look though.:black101: I've taken them out wheeling once so far and they performed even better than I had hoped through mud/snow and water crossings.

Haven't really had them on rocks yet.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Interested how you find em PITT... we have the 235/85R16 MTR's on a work truck (skinny 33" and they seem to be wearing ok- They DO suffer if you push it into a windy road too hard, gets hot and looses grip.

Couple of guys running them on landcruisers arent happy with em- having to run REALLY high pressures to get decent handling and economy out of them.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Well they aren't exactly road tires that's for sure. I have a 4.7l with 3.73 gears and I get like 10mpg around town, but since I only work about a mile away I can get away with it. Not to mention the fact I ditched my alloy wheels for 15" steel.

As far as the off road performance goes though I'm stoked. The lugs clean out nicely and the side biters do actually get grip instead of just being ornamental.

Its funny you mentioned people needing high pressures, one of the selling points for these was the strengthened sidewall. Mine are just load range C, maybe those guys need to run a higher load range, Jeeps aren't too heavy.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Got a bunch of old iron together last weekend.

It was pretty wet out, lots of stream crossings.

Lots of mud.

Wet everywhere, it's been raining in Missouri like crazy.

It just never ended.

Then I broke my knife on a watermelon.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I have a Gerber Gator. Bass pro shop muthafucka. It was only 35 pesos Canadian. Probably less than 20 in your confederate money. It won't break chopping a watermelon.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

That looks like it was a blast, trouser chili! I'm jealous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I am in no way affiliated with this but I thought of this thread, it's a free year subscription to 4 wheel and offroad

http://www.freebizmag.com/email4wheel01welcome.htm

I get a lot of junk mail as it is so I don't care what they send me.