Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fix posted:

That looks really good. You might think about doing a little more white on the tips to get some froth in there, but that's much better than I thought anyone would be able to do going from fire to water.

I thought so too, but I figure I'd gently caress it up somehow. Hey, I only charge a dollar to paint these anyways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Lord Twisted posted:

Could I grab some criticism on this GK Paladin Apothecary? Continuing my red theme which I posted a few pages back; decided on a Draigo-Paladin list of about 15 models in 1500 points (should be fun vs hordes).

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu254/LordTw15ted1991/IMG_0992.jpg

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu254/LordTw15ted1991/IMG_0993.jpg

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu254/LordTw15ted1991/IMG_0994.jpg

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu254/LordTw15ted1991/IMG_0995.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

I think you're putting your paint on too thick in details, you seem to be filling shading in with globs of extra paint. Pages on the book, skulls, rivet-shaped things sticking out of the helmet, and so forth.

Try a dark wash again, and pick out edges with very thin paint coats--like drybrushing. It's slow, but the end result will be better.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Heh. Thanks for the advice everyone. I get frustrated so easily.

That gives you an idea. Add that with an overweight overfrustrated guy with 4 screws in his head who can't bend his neck and I am surprised I got this far.

Here's to second attempts!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
drat, those are itty bitty.

At least they're mostly straight pieces, though. That being the case, you can get tiny chisel-tip blades that you can press straight down to cut. If you place the blade halfway over an existing cut, you can keep a nice continuous cut by lifting and rocking the chisel blade along your line.

e: Also consider thinner plasticard. The stuff is pretty durable, and looks excessively thick for mega-armor in that last shot.

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 26, 2011

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Heh, by the end of all the hours and materials I might as well just buy the 20$ meganobz.

But I need 3-6 :smith:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Over multiple MANs, the cost will start to repay itself if you keep at it.

I'm about to convert some Dryads into Treekin. $35 for a box of 12 dryads and $15 for a big tube of Kneadatite makes a little over $4 per Treekin in terms of materials (already have sculpting tools.) While that doesn't save me money on one or two of them ($22.25 for a Treekin), having 12 makes converting them a much more attractive option.

Get the right materials you need, the right tools, and crank out enough to make the initial setup seem worthwhile. Plus, tools and leftover materials will make starting other projects easier.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Heh, by the end of all the hours and materials I might as well just buy the 20$ meganobz.

Do you have a buddy with a cnc machine?

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Seluin posted:

Do you have a top down photo? I'd like to see the detail of the stone surface.

Nothing too fancy. I just like painting dots. :shobon:

The base is from Scibor btw. They have some good poo poo.

Tadhg posted:

Is all of that done with Reaper paints?

Nah, this was pretty much a mix of everything. Mostly Reaper on the cloak, GW on the skin, Reaper/Vallejo for the clothes, Vallejo for the grey stone, Reaper for the purplish stone.

Crime Fighting Hog: That looks sweet. Mixing the two colors worked perfectly.

Fix:That mud looks good too.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

Prime that poo poo white

In retrospect, I should have left it like this and have my group fight a milk elemental.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

In retrospect, I should have left it like this and have my group fight a milk elemental.

Bukkake elemental.

That makes it scarier.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Either way, you'd need some pearlescent medium for the best effect.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Bukkake elemental.

That makes it scarier.

I'll pick up some yellow paint tomorrow.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'll pick up some yellow paint tomorrow.

Might want to pick up some antibiotics while you're out.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fix posted:

Might want to pick up some antibiotics while you're out.

Antibiotics won't work anymore :smith:

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Bukkake elemental.

That makes it scarier.

Anima Tactics have you covered for that
http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=CS3027

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Someone motivate me to finish these mortars :(

e: poo poo, missed the dark background

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 27, 2011

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Calico Noose posted:

Anima Tactics have you covered for that
http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=CS3027

I smell Tyranid conversion.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

What a horrible choice of sense.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Tervigon found.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Man you don't need that big honkin' template to make Meganobs. Here's what you do:
1. Get an Ork Boy.
2. Glue armour all over his legs, including pistons and hinges (?).
3. Bulk up his torso with green stuff.
4. Glue armour all over that, too.
5. Glue the arms on the sides.
6. Armour 'em up. More pistons.
7. Glue a Nob head on, and some Shootas/Power Klaw on the ends of the arms.
8. Make some sort of back accessory.

I can't find the ones I scratchbuilt, but that's how I did it.

e: Found some:

I forgot about the gob! 9. Glue an excessively big gob on the front.
Oh, and rivets. 10. Rivet the poo poo out of them (not shown).

FROOOOOOOOG fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 27, 2011

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I figure it'd help try to get people into Bloodbowl around my FLGS if I have more than just my Orcs and the owner's Lizardmen to play with. So since I'm stuck waiting for my box of 40k boys to arrive on Friday to continue work on my Orc Bloodbowl team, I decided to take a crack at making another! With permission from my friend, the owner, I grabbed some Dark Elf Corsair sprues that had been left at/to the store by someone who moved away and turned a few into these:

Its a piss easy conversion really, all I'm doing it modifying the hands, chopping off weapons, and that is about it. Though I did greenstuff the holes in the helmets (don't want to add the gaudy decorations). Capes aren't entirely BloodBowly, but it'll do. They look pretty decent overall, and are reasonably distinguishable from one another. I'm not sure I like the pose of the Lineman on the left though. The knuckle-dusters look pretty mediocre too, but the handle guards of the swords are molded right onto the hands, and my attempt to carve one completely away looked terrible, so they stay.

No idea what I'll name them (Something Piratey perhaps) or what colors I'll paint them. Any suggestions on either? No Witch Elf, but whatever, the 1000TV roster will be 4 Blitzers, 6 Linemen and a Runner. All told I'll make 4 Blitzers, 6 Linemen, 2 Runners and the Assassin. If someone ends up inheriting the team, they can get their own Witch Elves.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I figure it'd help try to get people into Bloodbowl around my FLGS if I have more than just my Orcs and the owner's Lizardmen to play with. So since I'm stuck waiting for my box of 40k boys to arrive on Friday to continue work on my Orc Bloodbowl team, I decided to take a crack at making another! With permission from my friend, the owner, I grabbed some Dark Elf Corsair sprues that had been left at/to the store by someone who moved away and turned a few into these:

Corsairs make an awesome BloodBowl team. My brother made one for last year's season. He picked up one of the metal assassins and I had some left over Witch Elves from when I made my Amazon team. The new Skaven boxes also make a good team.

Edit: We can only play BB 6 weeks out of the year. After 6 weeks everyone hates BB and each other. Then it takes about 9 months for everyone to forget how much they hate it and after a year we're all (most) excited to play again.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

So things are going better. I had a pipe dream of a bioshock themed megga bob for awhile now

The Drill and the little lights on the mask are a little big. But not much i am going to do about that, ill just say "heroic scale" if anyone gives me poo poo and it will make him more noticeable six feet away.

Not sold on the black ork feet.

That's why it's a WIP :v:

Simpo
May 1, 2008

WhiteOutMouse posted:

So things are going better. I had a pipe dream of a bioshock themed megga bob for awhile now

The Drill and the little lights on the mask are a little big. But not much i am going to do about that, ill just say "heroic scale" if anyone gives me poo poo and it will make him more noticeable six feet away.

Not sold on the black ork feet.

That's why it's a WIP :v:

waist needs to be bulkier and the arm shorter IMO. Maybe stick pistons on the sides of the legs and bulk up the feet?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Tadhg posted:

Over multiple MANs, the cost will start to repay itself if you keep at it.

I'm about to convert some Dryads into Treekin.

I'm going to need some pics of that.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Not a viking posted:

I'm going to need some pics of that.

Materials are on hand, but I haven't started that project yet. I'm still assembling, magnetizing, and making trays for the rest of my elves.

When I start the Treekin conversions I'll be sure to take step by step pics and post them.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
It's been a busy month and I'm surprised I got so much done. First, some cross-posting from the Warmahordes Oath thread:

I also magnetized a Cygnar heavy kit that I've had siting around for 6 months or so. Yes, I know that I could / should have properly drilled into model, but I lacked the equipment. One minor problem that I should be able to fix with strategically placed rod, is when the 'jack has Triumph's arms on, the metal bits cause them to droop.

I put together the Ogrun Assault Corps and fielded them in a Highborn list, and boy, are they a godsend for Mercs / Cygnar. Very effective medium based, multi-wound models are exactly what we needed.

This Britannian cruiser was the test model for my fleet scheme. I think I'll stick with it.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

KingMob posted:

This Britannian cruiser was the test model for my fleet scheme. I think I'll stick with it.

I love the scheme! the British player in our group has his stuff painted a pretty dull gray/black/dark brown scheme and it doesn't really bring the model out. Yours, however, looks fantastic!

I really like the DW models, and the British have by far the stoutest looking Dreadnought. Can't wait for those things to come out.

How did you do your maple? On my FSA fleet I used Kommando Khaki with several Gryphonne Sepia washes. Yours looks much cleaner.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Fix posted:

That looks really good. You might think about doing a little more white on the tips to get some froth in there, but that's much better than I thought anyone would be able to do going from fire to water.

Some froth on the base or at least some sort of magical ring of glowyness would be good too. Right now it's sort of a striking division between them mini and its base.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Bachtere posted:

Nothing too fancy. I just like painting dots. :shobon:

The base is from Scibor btw. They have some good poo poo.

Yeah, want that base. Hella bad.

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!
The test model for my zombies from the frozen tundras:

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jobs a good'un boss. Looks fine to me.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Reginald Garibaldi posted:

The test model for my zombies from the frozen tundras:

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Looks great. First thing that popped was the fingertips could maybe use a light black wash to insinuate frostbite damage?

Seriously though, they're perfect as is. Kudos.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
It looks good, but I would consider changing the color of the scarf so that it stands out more from the skin.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Yeah, I'd use more contrasting colors for the clothes

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Tuxedo Jack posted:

How did you do your maple? On my FSA fleet I used Kommando Khaki with several Gryphonne Sepia washes. Yours looks much cleaner.

I used 2 basecoats of maple Sugar Tan (Delta) and then dipped the whole thing. The grey basecoat is the Army Painter spray.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

JesustheDarkLord posted:

It looks good, but I would consider changing the color of the scarf so that it stands out more from the skin.

Agreed; I'd either use a pale red or yellow; might be a good excuse to try a plaid design! :eng101: There needs to be a version of this smiley with a beret, paintbrush and palette :v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Crosspost from the oath thread, an early WIP shot on my looted Battlewagon assembly. Lots more planned for this beast, including a flame paint job on those wings. After all, my orks looted it from my eldar.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 27, 2011

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

theironjef posted:

Crosspost from the oath thread, an early WIP shot on my looted Battlewagon assembly. Lots more planned for this beast, including a flame paint job on those wings. After all, my orks looted it from my eldar.

When you do paint the eldar parts you should have a traditional eldar scheme haphazardly covered with an ork paint job.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hey gents, quick question, assembling my first Leman Russ and bit curious on the little handles that come with the kit, where the hell do these go? I can't seem to find any actual locations for them to go on the tank in any proper order.

• Locked thread