Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So does anyone have an idiot's guide to Thunderbolt rooting, from step 1 to completion, for whatever the best ROM people are currently using? (I guess Das BAMF or Tesla Coil?)

Also do these ROMs break anything major, like GPS or the camera/camcorder functions? I just got my Thunderbolt last week and it's my first smartphone, and my only other experience with Android is my Nook Color which I auto-nooted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
CM is still a goddamn FC/bug-ridden mess. I can't believe they're releasing these as "stable."

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
What's your phone?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Incredible

Also the Google app backup thing is nice on paper but an enormous clusterfuck disaster in practice. A retarded Titanium Backup.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm currently using my Android device without a SIM, so I have a constant [!] mark in my Status bar letting me know of the lack of SIM card.

Is there a way to hide it?

Opposite
Mar 31, 2009

Wait...what?
Great, I think I've bricked it.

I have a samsung galaxy gt-i9000 with android 2.1, followed the instructions at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=739300 and installed the one click root. Ran it and now I'm stuck at the system recovery with the following lines and options:

In blue:

"Android system recovery <2e>

Samsung recovery utils
-for BML-

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition"

and in yellow lines below:

"update media, please wait...
update media, finished
#MANUAL MODE#

-- Applying Multi-CSC...
Installing Multi-CSC
mps_dat value:ORO
copy_multi_carrier from: ORO
multicsc: src /system/csc/ORO/system/.
copied CSC from: /system/csc/ORO/system.
copy_common_data"

I've tried all the options written in blue but all of them got me to the same screen.

Any way to unfuck this?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Not sure if the process is the same with the GT-I9000 as it is with a Fascinate, but you could try Odin'ing a new recovery on there?

Opposite
Mar 31, 2009

Wait...what?
Thanks. Will try it. As soon as I figure out what Oding is (reading op again).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fuzz posted:

So does anyone have an idiot's guide to Thunderbolt rooting, from step 1 to completion, for whatever the best ROM people are currently using? (I guess Das BAMF or Tesla Coil?)

Also do these ROMs break anything major, like GPS or the camera/camcorder functions? I just got my Thunderbolt last week and it's my first smartphone, and my only other experience with Android is my Nook Color which I auto-nooted.

So... anyone got an answer to this? Was hoping I could root mine this weekend, then futz with ADB and beautiful widgets to make my phone look super classy! And mainly get rid of bloatware.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Captain Charisma posted:

CM is still a goddamn FC/bug-ridden mess. I can't believe they're releasing these as "stable."

Did you use Titanium Backup to restore app data from a non-Gingerbread ROM? I hear that can cause issues. If you didn't, try doing a backup, then wipe cache/Dalvik cache/data/system and reflash (and don't restore Titanium Backup app data).

Opposite
Mar 31, 2009

Wait...what?

Opposite posted:

Thanks. Will try it. As soon as I figure out what Oding is (reading op again).

I'm a retard. Resetting is done via home key, not power off key...

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kreeblah posted:

Did you use Titanium Backup to restore app data from a non-Gingerbread ROM? I hear that can cause issues. If you didn't, try doing a backup, then wipe cache/Dalvik cache/data/system and reflash (and don't restore Titanium Backup app data).

I posted that before I even did a TB restore

Opposite
Mar 31, 2009

Wait...what?
So what if the phone doesn't want to get into recovery mode and isn't recognized by odin or adb and is stuck at the black and white galaxy S entry screen? Any way to come back from this?

edit: I've discovered what I did wrong: I've installed an US version of firmware: I9000UGJL2 on my EU phone so maybe that was the reason it didn't want to enter recovery mode. I've managed to reboot the phone into download mode and now I'm downloading the I9000XWJVB firmware for EU phones (2.3.3 gingerbread) and the I9000XWJS3 (2.2.1 froyo). Unfortunately I forgot to backup the previous version so I keep my fingers crossed.

e2: I've managed to install the I9000XWJPB (2.2) version and is working. Rooting it and upgrading it to 2.3.3 next.

Opposite fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 27, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Captain Charisma posted:

I posted that before I even did a TB restore

Does anyone on CM even have an Incredible? I'm surprised it's an officially supported device.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Casao posted:

Does anyone on CM even have an Incredible? I'm surprised it's an officially supported device.

Most HTC phones are supported by CM. What's the surprise?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Opposite posted:

So what if the phone doesn't want to get into recovery mode and isn't recognized by odin or adb and is stuck at the black and white galaxy S entry screen? Any way to come back from this?

edit: I've discovered what I did wrong: I've installed an US version of firmware: I9000UGJL2 on my EU phone so maybe that was the reason it didn't want to enter recovery mode. I've managed to reboot the phone into download mode and now I'm downloading the I9000XWJVB firmware for EU phones (2.3.3 gingerbread) and the I9000XWJS3 (2.2.1 froyo). Unfortunately I forgot to backup the previous version so I keep my fingers crossed.

e2: I've managed to install the I9000XWJPB (2.2) version and is working. Rooting it and upgrading it to 2.3.3 next.

I'm not sure if you're aware of it seeing as the guide you linked was from the Vibrant section of XDA and you previously attempted to flash a US rom, but there is a dedicated section for our international SGS.
Glad you got it working though, goodluck with gingerbread. It's got a few problems, but I've mostly heard great things about it.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
I just picked up a Samsung 4G on Metro PCS, which is the ghetto cellphone service in the Bay Area. Can I root this phone without messing up my carrier settings?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

The Metal Avenger posted:

I just picked up a Samsung 4G on Metro PCS, which is the ghetto cellphone service in the Bay Area. Can I root this phone without messing up my carrier settings?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1025610
SGS 4G? Super One Click Root should do it I believe.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious

Shanakin posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1025610
SGS 4G? Super One Click Root should do it I believe.

I think what I have is the 4GLTE Samsung Galaxy Indulge. Is this the same thing?
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-R910ZKAMTR

Edit: Nevermind looks like I found it here: http://androidforums.com/indulge-all-things-root/293700-bounty-metropcs-samsung-galaxy-indulge-4g-sch-r910.html

Unicorn Vomit fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 27, 2011

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The Metal Avenger posted:

I think what I have is the 4GLTE Samsung Galaxy Indulge. Is this the same thing?
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-R910ZKAMTR

I don't think it really matters, super one click root can use the rage against the cage exploit and can root pretty much any non-gingerbread (android 2.3) phone that has an unlocked bootloader.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
CM7 for the Fascinate updated again last night, it now has USB mounting and haptic feedback, as well as all the sensors, GPS, wifi, and RIL. Still no camera or camcorder. I'm running CM6, which I think does not have MMS anyhow, and I don't use bluetooth, so that's not a big loss.

Holding out for camera (camcorder is not a big loss) and video codecs, but I'm really excited about the progress being made.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

CM7 for the Fascinate updated again last night, it now has USB mounting and haptic feedback, as well as all the sensors, GPS, wifi, and RIL. Still no camera or camcorder. I'm running CM6, which I think does not have MMS anyhow, and I don't use bluetooth, so that's not a big loss.

Holding out for camera (camcorder is not a big loss) and video codecs, but I'm really excited about the progress being made.

That's really awesome, the progress they are making is really impressive.

I ran CM6 and loved the speed but realized I missed the convenience of MMS and also I felt like the camera quality in general went down (may have been my imagination though), I'm currently trying out the Community Rom and I'm liking it a lot. I am anxiously awaiting the day when MMS is fixed in CM6 (or 7!!) so I can make the switch completely. I still might though, it just ran so smoothly.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Tried to throw CM7 on my Incredible and it worked great, until I restarted it, and then it went into boot loop. Re-wiped and flashed through recovery and it worked yay no more boot loop! poo poo I forgot to install Gapps.

Flash G-apps and back to a boot loop. and now no matter what I do it boot loops even if i restore my backup. What. the. gently caress. Going to flash the stock froyo rom and try starting from scratch and see if that gets me anywhere

Update: Flashing back to stock, and restarting the entire process through Rom manager fixed everything. Running CM7.0.0 and everything looks to be just wonderful

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 28, 2011

Gokiman
Apr 4, 2009
yesterday I made the big manly leap and rooted my evolution and installed the cm7 rom. its awesome but I'm noticing one thing. I had heard that it nearly doubles your batter life over the stock rom but I haven't really noticed a big change. Did I screw up somewhere and do I have to plop down some dough on juicedefender pro since they stripped the free version?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Usually it takes a while for the new rom and battery life to flatten out. Just give it some time.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Gokiman posted:

my evolution

dawwww

But yeah pay for juice defender ultimate, it owns.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone notice terrible battery performance with CM 7.0.2 on a Desire Z? I flashed CM7>7.0.1>7.0.2 and I went from having 40%+ after 10 hours to barely 20%

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Casao posted:

I believe koush has one.

My problems have subsided for the most part. I think the majority of them were from Google's retarded backup program thing.

rotaryfun posted:

Usually it takes a while for the new rom and battery life to flatten out. Just give it some time.

Unless you're on an Incredible, in which case be prepared for the same exact "Use it and lose it" battery life.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I finally gave MIUI a honest try. Everything I hated about it was fixed by using ADW or LaunchPro, and I get to keep everything I love about it. Too bad about all the crazy poo poo going on with the Developers.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 28, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

nate fisher posted:

I finally gave MIUI a honest try. Everything I hated about it was fixed by using ADW or LaunchPro, and I get to keep everything I love about it. Too bad about all the crazy poo poo going on with the Developers.

What crazy poo poo? Mark for MIUIDev pitched a bit of a fit about the Nexus S, then the community bought him a Nexus S and he shut up.

I just really want to see MIUI for the G2x.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Edit: I'm a moron, rebooting fixed it.

But as long as I've got a post here; is there any reason why my email app would spontaneously stop activating 3G and receiving emails until I reboot the phone? Running CM6 Beta on a Fascinate.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 28, 2011

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
On iOS, when you enable Airplane mode and enable WiFi, WiFi stays on through a reboot.

I noticed that with Android, enabling Airplane mode and then turning on WiFi only lasts until you reboot, then WiFi is back off again.

Is there a startup script or something I can place on my device to turn on WiFi when the phone boots up?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

On iOS, when you enable Airplane mode and enable WiFi, WiFi stays on through a reboot.

I noticed that with Android, enabling Airplane mode and then turning on WiFi only lasts until you reboot, then WiFi is back off again.

Is there a startup script or something I can place on my device to turn on WiFi when the phone boots up?

Er... which version of Android are you on? I'm still on the default Froyo that comes with Thunderbolts, and it preserves all my settings through a reboot, even stuff like 3G/4G toggle.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Fuzz posted:

Er... which version of Android are you on? I'm still on the default Froyo that comes with Thunderbolts, and it preserves all my settings through a reboot, even stuff like 3G/4G toggle.

Froyo / 2.2.1 on an HTC Dream.

After a reboot, I bring up the notifications window and poke the WiFi icon to turn it back on. I was looking for a widget to put on the Desktop to toggle WiFi, but I figured a script to start it up automatically would be better.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Xenomorph posted:

...I was looking for a widget to put on the Desktop to toggle WiFi...

You should use Widgetsoid for all your toggles.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You should use Widgetsoid for all your toggles.

That works well, thanks!

Gokiman
Apr 4, 2009

heat posted:

dawwww

But yeah pay for juice defender ultimate, it owns.

wow.....I said evolution, Im totally blaming that on spell check...

Gokiman fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 28, 2011

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Casao posted:

What crazy poo poo? Mark for MIUIDev pitched a bit of a fit about the Nexus S, then the community bought him a Nexus S and he shut up.

Mark and whoever else owned the site got into a fight. The domains were transferred to Mark which is why the new url is miuiandroid.com.

Then something happened with the server and IRC or some poo poo. Mark basically lost the site and then Paul from Modoco agreed to host it so that miui lives on. All seems to be in order now.

Soylent Cola
Feb 24, 2011

Gokiman posted:

yesterday I made the big manly leap and rooted my evolution and installed the cm7 rom. its awesome but I'm noticing one thing. I had heard that it nearly doubles your batter life over the stock rom but I haven't really noticed a big change. Did I screw up somewhere and do I have to plop down some dough on juicedefender pro since they stripped the free version?

I've found that people throw around claims like that a lot but the reality is a bit more nuanced. CM7 is an excellent ROM on the Evo and my daily driver but I don't think you will get 2 days instead of 1 just by flashing CM7. The main thing is that it has a lot of options built in that allow you to manage some of the bigger battery drains out there.

From what I've seen the big drains (on any phone or laptop even) are the screen, radios, and processor. Without installing any third party apps or kernels on my CM7 setup, I get good battery life by doing the following:

- I set up the power widgets in the pulldown notification bar so I have easy access to radio power toggles. I don't leave Wifi, bluetooth, or Wimax on unless I am using them. If I really need to save battery I will also toggle off data but then I only get calls and texts. That's more an emergency measure if I'm stuck out with low battery.

- I keep the screen brightness modest. I don't leave it cranked up. Likewise, I don't use live wallpapers or other drains.

- I don't use widgets that regularly poll a remote server for info (facebook, news, twitter, etc). If I want to read the news or Facebook, etc. I open up the relevant app. Email is set to push so it doesn't have to poll the server.

- I have my CPU settings (under performance settings in Cyanogen 7) set to use the ONDEMAND governor. There are a few others and people usually prefer one or another. I'm honestly not that informed on the specific differences but as I understand it, it improves how your CPU is throttled when under load. I actually have the max frequency a bit above stock but set to only fire up like that when needed.

That gets me the best battery life I've ever had on the Evo but it's hardly double what I got on the stock Sense ROM. Likewise, this setup is tailored to how *I* use my phone. If you use yours differently you would probably set yours up to reflect that. The reason I've always loved Android is that it works pretty well right out of the box and I can spend as much or as little time as I want to tweak it to fit my uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Casao posted:

I tried this ROM for the past couple of days and it is pretty nice. Not perfect, but definitely usable. I did find that it drank my battery like there was no tomorrow though. Just sitting idle with the screen off it was drawing 39-45mA. My old ROM averages 2-5mA draw just sitting idle. Both ROMS have Wi-Fi off and basically the same power settings.