Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

AxeManiac posted:

I tried it, but it looks awfully confusing. I floated a little ship thing to pluto and couldn't move around and scanned a planet and gave up. I thought this game would be like turn based and you build a city or something.

The first part of the game is pretty confusing and sort of drops you in cold. What you need to do is fly to earth right away, that will trigger the plot stuff and then you get told what to do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

AxeManiac posted:

I tried it, but it looks awfully confusing. I floated a little ship thing to pluto and couldn't move around and scanned a planet and gave up. I thought this game would be like turn based and you build a city or something.

Here is how you do stuff:

1. Go to a Planet
2. Hit Scan, then Autoscan (this will make everything show up on your minimap)
3. Hit Dispatch and pick a place on the minimap near some blips
4. Move around picking up minerals until one of the bars in the bottom right is full
5. Hit ESC to return to the ship (which puts the gathered stuff into storage)
6. Repeat

But yeah, go to Earth first. Then go everywhere else in the Sol system. By the time you're done that you should have a pretty good grasp on things.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

andrew smash posted:

The first part of the game is pretty confusing and sort of drops you in cold. What you need to do is fly to earth right away, that will trigger the plot stuff and then you get told what to do next.

Also, not only is the manual pretty good reading (from an era that respected the game manual, dammit), explains the events of Star Control 1, and introduces the old races your character should already be familiar with, but it also sets the scene that propels you to earth much better than the in-game intro does. The story of the Androsynth alone is pretty interesting stuff.

edit: also, does the GOG version include a map? The game also included an "outdated" map that described the universe as your character would have last known it, and it will also help you in the early game.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Dungeon & Dragons: Dragonshard is now on GOG for $9.99.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Never heard of it. This lineup is seriously underwhelming for all the buildup they gave.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Blodskur posted:

Hooray!... maybe? I know nothing about the quality of this one.

But in looking at the news to see the results of the update, I noticed this:

quote:

We’re giving you more advance notice than we thought. It turns out that there are a few pernicious bugs with the new GOG downloader that we need to fix, so we’re pushing back the site update until the 35th of April (to keep things still as promised as “late April”) or, if you’re determined to stick with your “Gregorian calendar,” the fifth of May.

:3:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Yes! Dragonshard! Another one to cross off the list!

Edit: Liquid Entertainment developed it? Perhaps there is hope for Battle Realms and it's rare expansion, Winter of the Wolf, to appear on here.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 27, 2011

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Never heard of it. This lineup is seriously underwhelming for all the buildup they gave.

It's a painfully generic RTS that tried to capitalize on the success of Warcraft 3 by using the D&D name.

Much like most of Atari's other efforts with the license, it's completely wasted potential. I have never seen anyone express appreciation for it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

edit: also, does the GOG version include a map? The game also included an "outdated" map that described the universe as your character would have last known it, and it will also help you in the early game.

Not sure about the GOG version, but The Ur-Quan Masters (again, here's V0.7 - download all the files here to the same place and run the installer) version doesn't have either the manual or map bundled with it.

Manual and Map (in both 'as included with the game' and 'spoilerrific' variants)

Both are pretty much essential for playing the game. Don't leave hyperspace without them!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 27, 2011

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It looks like Dragonsphere will be on GOG sometime as this subforum has popped up. Then again, Splinter Cell had one appear before, and nada happened then.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I'm pretty sure I only ever played the demo of Dragonshard, but I remember liking it except for the units clearly being modeled after Warcraft designs rather than sticking to the more generic stuff D&D normally goes with. For example, that gigantic hammer in the first screen, or those "clearly not Warcraft trolls" in the fifth or so.

Dragonsphere, on the other hand, was one of the earliest PC games I remember owning. That game had some amazing atmosphere and was pretty badass in general.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Rather ownage promo: 75% off all JoWooD titles when together or 60% off individually.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Charles Martel posted:

Yes! Dragonshard! Another one to cross off the list!

Edit: Liquid Entertainment developed it? Perhaps there is hope for Battle Realms and it's rare expansion, Winter of the Wolf, to appear on here.

Oh this would be brilliant, I loved Battle Realms. Pity it never caught on, and Liquid hasn't really done anything good since

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So outta that JoWood sale what are the best titles? Is Gothic 2 one of them? Always wanted to try those games.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Skeezy posted:

So outta that JoWood sale what are the best titles? Is Gothic 2 one of them? Always wanted to try those games.

Yes, Gothic 2 is a good game. As is Spellforce, and Aquanox 1/2. I'm not really familiar with the rest.

Now I need a sale on the Freespace & Descent games again because I regretted not getting em at the time.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Skeezy posted:

Gothic 2 is excellent if you like slightly wonky European RPGs, Aquanox is a good underwater mission-based Freespacey thing (but the second one sucks), the Dark Fall games are like a creepy Myst, Painkiller Black is an essential if you have any interest in FPSes, and Spellforce is a classic strategy-RPG.

Can anyone recommend any of the others?

(Side note: I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that JoWooD is going kaput. What will that mean for their GoG catalog?)

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
GOG are saying this:

GOG posted:

Since you guys are all going to be asking: we don't know what the future holds for JoWooD. To be safe, though, we recommend that you download any JoWooD titles you've purchased--either from this promo or not--and archive a backup of the GOG installer, because it never hurts to be safe.

While they aren't saying it outright, there's a good chance the Jowood games are soon going to disappear, hence this sort-of firesale. Get 'em before they're gone!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blodskur posted:

Why the gently caress didn't I think of this? It was so god drat obvious but this is probably the most forgotten Dungeons & Dragons title right next to Stronghold.

It's a real time strategy set in the Eberron universe (it's like a magic heavy steampunk setting where halflings ride dinosaurs) as you battle across the surface and the "underdark" realm of Khyber. Last RTS I played with multiple level battles on the same map was Metal Fatigue. It was a good game but totally overshadowed by other releases at the time.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I guess that means I shouldn't bother hoping for a convenient version of The Guild 2 then.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can anyone provide any yay or nays for the Dark Fall games?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

GrandpaPants posted:

Can anyone provide any yay or nays for the Dark Fall games?

Definite yay, provided you have the patience to take handwritten notes a la Myst.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I found Myst a much better experience with judicious use of print screen function.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Have never played Painkiller, but like old school FPS games... Worth getting?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Flumpus posted:

Have never played Painkiller, but like old school FPS games... Worth getting?

It's designed with the same sensibilities as Serious Sam. Walk into room, a million monsters appear, kill them and move on. The levels are more confined than Sam's as the game takes place in old castles, graveyards, monasteries, and villages and there are secrets littered about. The final boss level is totally awesome.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

dflanny posted:

GOG are saying this:

While they aren't saying it outright, there's a good chance the Jowood games are soon going to disappear, hence this sort-of firesale. Get 'em before they're gone!

Wait, I thought their policy was that if they yanked a game they would keep it available for download to people who already purchased it. What's the likelihood that they actually pull these games completely?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

andrew smash posted:

Wait, I thought their policy was that if they yanked a game they would keep it available for download to people who already purchased it. What's the likelihood that they actually pull these games completely?

They've done it before, but I forget the game. I think it was some racing game? Colin McRae, maybe?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

andrew smash posted:

I think that would be their aim, and if they were pulled from the store the most likely outcome, but warning everybody the the worst case scenario makes sense.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Bats posted:

Yes, Gothic 2 is a good game. As is Spellforce, and Aquanox 1/2.

My brother already grabbed Spellforce off GOG, so I just put down ~6 euros on the Aquanox games and Gothic 2. Downloading them now.

Really lovely situation for Jowood. Grab this stuff while you can.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Wow, I didnt know that dragonshard was made by liquid, at least it explained why it's an rts.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Are Chaser, Spellforce, and Aquanox 1/2 worth getting?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

GoldenNugget posted:

Are Chaser, Spellforce, and Aquanox 1/2 worth getting?

Chaser is not worth it these days.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The four gems out of the lot are the Aquanox games, Gothic 2 and Spellforce. All together, it should set you back a little over $10. The rest are all fairly blah.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I've heard good things about the Guild - at least, there are a bunch of goons who seem to think it's pretty awesome.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Bleusilences posted:

Chaser is not worth it these days.

Good to know. I remember getting through quite of bit of it a while ago and it became work to get through and then I ran into a bug. The graphics were really nice and looked and ran great on my lovely laptop :).

I'll probably pick up Aquanox 1/2 and spellforce since I already have G2 :).

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

andrew smash posted:

I've heard good things about the Guild - at least, there are a bunch of goons who seem to think it's pretty awesome.

Every few years I pick it up and play it again. It's fresh every time, but you kind of need to make your own objectives to get everything out of it, I think.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dammit, I bought Gothic 2 for full price a while ago and it's gone on sale at least twice before I've even managed to play it.
I'm liking both Dark Falls, Painkiller, and Spellforce off of that list- yay or nay?
Also what's the story with JoWooD?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Dammit, I bought Gothic 2 for full price a while ago and it's gone on sale at least twice before I've even managed to play it.
I'm liking both Dark Falls, Painkiller, and Spellforce off of that list- yay or nay?
Also what's the story with JoWooD?

They filed for bankruptcy in January and are either about to close or be gobbled up by another company.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Armor-Piercing posted:

I guess that means I shouldn't bother hoping for a convenient version of The Guild 2 then.
The only one worthwhile is the Renaissance release of the game. It's on Steam for 20 but I don't know how they are when developers go down.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Dominic White posted:

The four gems out of the lot are the Aquanox games, Gothic 2 and Spellforce. All together, it should set you back a little over $10. The rest are all fairly blah.

I haven't played the Aquanox games but Spellforce and Gothic 2 I have to disagree with, I'd recommend Painkiller and The Guild over those any day. I bought Gothic 2 anyways though, I figure for $3 I can give it another shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Thinking of picking up Dark Fall 2 and the Aquanox games (already have DF1, Spellforce and Painkiller). How "underwater-y" is Aquanox? Does it play like a sci-fi sub simulator, or like Freespace like fish?

Also, people keep saying Aquanox 2 is really bad - why?