Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
PP said they could insert my IUD on the same day as my consult, but then changed their minds and asked me to come back on my period. Maybe ask if that's an option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

2tomorrow posted:

So I've been on Implanon for a little over a year now and at first it was great, but the last 2 months have been miserable. Constant bleeding, most of it fairly heavy (for me, I've always had fairly light periods on or off BC, this is like a full-on period for me) with a week or two of fairly heavy spotting then back to the flow. Needless to say this is not making me happy. Previously I was only having light spotting or sometimes a light period every couple of months.

Has anyone else had this experience, especially starting so suddenly about a year in? Is there anything I can do short of having the implant removed? Should I give it more time to even out again or am I likely to be dealing wtih this for awhile. I seriously loved Implanon before but I can't deal with this.

Kind of building on that, if I do switch BC methods I want to try an IUD but my OBGYN won't give them to women who haven't had children (I'm even in my 30s WTF). How can I "doctor shop" for one who would be willing to at least discuss the possibility with me? I'm in a rural area so health care is often a long drive so if I just call and ask will they tell me if they have restrictions like that? Or do I have to just keep giving it a try and seeing what they say? Basically I'd just like to hear how others who have had to shop around to find someone to do it have gone about it.

Also, will PP do IUDs in a situation like mine? The nearest office is 4 hours away but I'll make the drive if I know they'll do it. They're the ones I went to for Implanon because with my personal doctor it the only real options are the pill or the patch, and neither really work for me.

I'm on my second Implanon (4+ years using this method), and I've had an experience like yours. It was lovely and way inconvenient but it did pass. And even with that episode factored in plus all the other times of irregularity, the wonders of Implanon have still outweighed all other methods of birth control that I've used.

You can't beat it's effectiveness, and you don't have to suffer the the pain of IUD (not to mention the ickiness of having something in your cooch). You gotta admit that a lil prolonged bleeding is worth it considering the overall marvelousness of Implanon.

I hope you'll stick it out, especially considering that you've loved your Implanon up until now.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Actually I'm really glad to hear that you've had that experience and it passed. My doctor when I got it hadn't put in too many at that point so she didn't have much advice other than what's been published or whatever. I know it's different for everyone, but how long did your period like this last?

As long as this will most likely eventually go away I will stick it out. I just didn't want to deal with constant bleeding for another two years!

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
I'm just glad everyone keeps posting about how amazing Implanon is, even with crazy random bleeding. I just had to deal with insurance and the Drs office and I like hearing that all the panic and crazy it's causing me will be worth it in the end, especially because I am in school with an extremely part time job that means giving up basically 1/4 of my income to pay for the pill.

This is just driving me up a wall and whenever I get frustrated I'll read this thread, so thanks everyone.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I had a similar experience with Implanon, but after a little trial and error, I figured out that I wasn't just bleeding nonstop; it was that hitting my cervix would trigger bleeding. I think that stage lasted for maybe a few months, and then for the next two years, everything was awesome and period-free (except occasional tiny spotting).

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.
Ive been bleeding for about a month. Will it stop? I love implanon but this is getting annoying.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Anne Whateley posted:

I had a similar experience with Implanon, but after a little trial and error, I figured out that I wasn't just bleeding nonstop; it was that hitting my cervix would trigger bleeding. I think that stage lasted for maybe a few months, and then for the next two years, everything was awesome and period-free (except occasional tiny spotting).

You know, I was wondering about this a bit (well, not this specifically, but whether my sex life was affecting it) because I went from having pretty regular sex with my husband (typically 3-4 times a week minimum) to like once a month sex about a month before this started because my husband suddenly started having to travel all the drat time for work so I only see him like 5 days a month. We gently caress like bunnies when he is home and that's when it tends to get better. Maybe I should use this as one more reason for him to stop this stupid business venture and stay home with me. edit: I guess that's not really once a month sex, but like 3 weeks off/one on...it's a strange schedule, that's the point I'm trying to make.

ilysespieces, I will say that Implanon is about the only method of hormonal BC that has worked for me, this last little bit notwithstanding (and even now it isn't impossibly bad, just not something I'd want to put up with for another year). It doesn't trigger depression or make me gain weight and my libido has actually increased. Normally on any hormonal BC (I've tried various pills, the patch, and nuva ring in the past) I become a fat depressed asexual. So it's different for everyone but I'd definitely say it's worth the hassle!

Lanthanum, mine's been happening for about 2 months but it does sound like there's light at the end of the tunnel! ;)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Is there any particular reason I can feel my girlfriend's Nuvaring while fingering her but not during actual sex?

No jokes about my tiny penis :mad:

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Is there any particular reason I can feel my girlfriend's Nuvaring while fingering her but not during actual sex?

No jokes about my tiny penis :mad:

It's the same for my boyfriend, probably the same for everyone. Penises just aren't made to feel small details like fingers are?

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Yeah, when I had Nuva Ring my husband said the same thing. I think it's pretty much par for the course.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

It's just the way bodies are designed. Fingers are dexterous and finger pads are packed with nerve endings, which enable us to have fine motor skills. Dicks just aren't that discriminating. :)

Ho0Ly
Oct 24, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I went to Planned Parenthood today to inquire about an IUD, mostly thanks to this thread, and ended up getting a couple different answers regarding various things about it. Why is it nobody can ever agree on anything? One question was regarding having it inserted while on my period. The first lady said it's much easier to do on the period, and the second lady said it doesn't really make a difference at all. In regards to allergic reaction to the copper IUD, one lady said "There have been no cases of allergic reactions resulting from a copper IUD." Which I find to be stretching it quite a bit. I really wish I could just go straight ahead with a tubal litigation, but you all know how that goes.

Anyway, I have set an appointment for Tuesday (May 3) to get the Paragard inserted. This will be my first birth control besides condoms. I hate taking pills, and the hormonal types hosed with my sister quite a bit, and we're pretty similar, so that scares me. Hopefully all goes well with the IUD. I'll try and remember to update once it's in.

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006
O HIGH PRIESTESSES OF THE CONTRACEPTIVE DEVICE MEGATHREAD. A humble request for help.

I got my period today while about to finish my second straight packet of the Pill. Not just a little spotting, but a full period - albeit not as heavy as usual. I still have three days of hormonal tablets left. Is the Pill not working for this to happen? I got flu last week and threw up about 6 hours after taking the Pill, but I'm pretty sure that's outside of the absorption danger zone. WTF?

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

miss_chaos posted:

O HIGH PRIESTESSES OF THE CONTRACEPTIVE DEVICE MEGATHREAD. A humble request for help.

I got my period today while about to finish my second straight packet of the Pill. Not just a little spotting, but a full period - albeit not as heavy as usual. I still have three days of hormonal tablets left. Is the Pill not working for this to happen? I got flu last week and threw up about 6 hours after taking the Pill, but I'm pretty sure that's outside of the absorption danger zone. WTF?

Do you mean you took this months pills straight after last months with no week off them/week of placebo pills and didn't have a period last month?
If that's the case it sounds like your body was ready to have a period and did so. (If you had yakked up the pill last week and 'missed a day' and it caused your period to start it would have started before now.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I know there are a bunch of us with Implanon now (yay!). I just got mine replaced. My old one was placed perfectly, and felt exactly like the example. If I went hunting, I could find it, but I was absolutely never aware of it otherwise. My new one is placed differently -- it's crazy shallow. It hurts to move my arm, and I worry the end's going to come through the skin. You can see it!

Has anyone else had a really shallow Implanon? What happened? It's only my second day, so I'm hoping it will magically and quickly move deeper, but I doubt it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

miss_chaos posted:

You say you were on your second straight packet. Were you skipping your placebo pills? Whenever I try to skip the placebo week, I'll usually just go on and get a full blown period anyway. Part of it is probably because I'm on a triphasic pill (are you?) but it seems like my body just refuses to skip periods. Maybe yours is like that too.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

Anne Whateley posted:

I know there are a bunch of us with Implanon now (yay!). I just got mine replaced. My old one was placed perfectly, and felt exactly like the example. If I went hunting, I could find it, but I was absolutely never aware of it otherwise. My new one is placed differently -- it's crazy shallow. It hurts to move my arm, and I worry the end's going to come through the skin. You can see it!

Has anyone else had a really shallow Implanon? What happened? It's only my second day, so I'm hoping it will magically and quickly move deeper, but I doubt it.

I also have a really shallow one, its right under my skin and if i lay on my left arm, it hurts after a while. You can still kinda see it through my skin too. I figured it would go away after a couple days but its been about 2 months now and it looks the same. When I get home tonight I'll take then post a picture of it if you like. I think its still just as effective.. I havent gotten pregnant so thats good news!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Anne Whateley posted:

Mine's shallow as well. I can see it through the skin, but others can't, so I expect it's because I know right where it is and they don't. It hurt the first few days but then it felt fine. It does still ache if I lean my arm on something right on the implant though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What a pain. I'm sure it's still effective (I'm single right now so it's actually not important for now), but the pain/irritation/concern isn't exactly ideal! My last one was probably a few mm deep, into the fat layer, and it never made its presence known at all. This is immediately under the skin -- like if I were a chicken, this is where you'd be rubbing your compound butter. I'm going to keep the compression bandage on a little longer and see if that magically drives it deeper? Maybe? It hurts less then, anyway.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Going to get my copper IUD taken out tomorrow at 4pm :ohdear: I've had it for a few years. I haven't had a use for it in several though and I'd like my periods to go back to being lighter and less crampy. Wonder if they will let me keep it...

How does that usually compare to getting it inserted? I just remember feeling the clamp which was sharp crampy pain but short enough, and I was able to drive myself home.

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006

NaturalLow posted:

You say you were on your second straight packet. Were you skipping your placebo pills? Whenever I try to skip the placebo week, I'll usually just go on and get a full blown period anyway. Part of it is probably because I'm on a triphasic pill (are you?) but it seems like my body just refuses to skip periods. Maybe yours is like that too.

Yip, I skipped my placebo pills on advice by a doctor (low iron). Sigh. Looks like I can't skip placebos like I did when I was a teenager. I'm not on a triphasic (Levlen) but mostly I'm concerned that this might indicate the pills haven't worked and I might not be protected contraceptively. Maybe it's because I'm heavier than I was as a teenager? Ugh. I wish the implant was subsidised.

I'm probably going to be changing pills anyway at my next appointment, this one has made my skin blow up with acne since I went back on it. Stupid aging changing your hormones.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

miss_chaos posted:

Yip, I skipped my placebo pills on advice by a doctor (low iron). Sigh. Looks like I can't skip placebos like I did when I was a teenager. I'm not on a triphasic (Levlen) but mostly I'm concerned that this might indicate the pills haven't worked and I might not be protected contraceptively. Maybe it's because I'm heavier than I was as a teenager? Ugh. I wish the implant was subsidised.

I'm probably going to be changing pills anyway at my next appointment, this one has made my skin blow up with acne since I went back on it. Stupid aging changing your hormones.

How long have you been on this pill? The bleeding isn't an indicator that it's not working (unless you've missed doses or are taking it improperly) but simply that you've changed the timing of the hormones, so you've "confused" your body a bit. The rule of thumb is to stick to birth control for at least 3 months to see if things change for the better (including skin and bleeding stuff).

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Going to get my copper IUD taken out tomorrow at 4pm :ohdear: I've had it for a few years. I haven't had a use for it in several though and I'd like my periods to go back to being lighter and less crampy. Wonder if they will let me keep it...

How does that usually compare to getting it inserted? I just remember feeling the clamp which was sharp crampy pain but short enough, and I was able to drive myself home.

My insertion was the most horrible pain I had ever experience, but my removal was a breeze. The cramp was very mild and super quick and I didn't have any cramps afterward. Don't even worry. It's nothing like the insertion.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

miss_chaos posted:

The first 4 months or so my period was so hosed up it was ridiculous. Early by 4 days the first month, nonexistent the second month, like a day early month 3. As others have said, give it a couple of months to get settled before you think about switching, your body isn't used to it and the side effects may subside soon.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

lunarian posted:

My insertion was the most horrible pain I had ever experience, but my removal was a breeze. The cramp was very mild and super quick and I didn't have any cramps afterward. Don't even worry. It's nothing like the insertion.

If they can find the strings, this is true. If they can't...well, it loving sucks.

My removal of my first Mirena was FAR worse than the insertion because the strings were not reachable, so they had to dilate my cervix and stick instruments into my uterus to grab the IUD. It was very painful and they ultimately had to numb my cervix for me to be able to tolerate it.

The good news is that my body got over it quickly. I had a new Mirena inserted the same day and was expecting that I'd be in pain for at least a week afterward given how rough the removal had been on my cervix. It turned out that everything was back to normal within two days. I was even able to handle the heavy lifting involved in moving the day after my removal+insertion. So even though it was bad, it was not a lasting thing.

Thankfully, my situation is uncommon. The doctor who did my removal said mine was one of the hardest he'd done, and he's done it for 10+ years.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

That sucks, fo' reals. I bet the pain you're experiencing is just due to the removal/reinsertion process. (<-- This goes out to everyone else who's got a shallow implant.) I'm on Implanon #2, and I've never had a thought that they were placed incorrectly. I've done some detective work on my arm because of the last few comments and my Implanon is visible to the naked eye (if you know what you're looking at). The end closest to my shoulder "sticks out" more that the elbow end.

Maybe all this time I've been living with shallow implants?? Perhaps. But I do know that the pain relating to insertion will fade with the bruising. After that, I had random little pain bursts at my implant site for a couple/few months, probably triggered by just remembering it was there.

Don't worry about your Implanon escaping your arm. Your skin is more durable that a little flexible rod. :j:

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight while on hormonal birth control? If so, could you give me the name of whatever you were doing?

I'm 23-years old and my BMI is at the lower end of the obese range. Despite cutting fast food, sodas, junk food, etc out of my diet and exercising four times a week with running and weight lifting, I still have yet to lose more than five pounds in the past four months. I definitely feel more energetic and I'm noticeable stronger and I can run longer--but somehow, my shape isn't changing.

Before I got on the depo shot, I would shed about ten pounds and get in the upper end of the healthy range just because I was running regularly or taking a break from junk food. I did this twice in the past four years, when I was 19 and 21, usually when I found out that my BMI was edging on the middle of the "overweight" range, so I would start exercising to get back to a healthier weight. I'd have to put effort into avoiding bad foods and exercising a couple times a week, but I didn't work nearly as hard as I am now and I still had much faster results.

I'm just starting to wonder if the shot might be affecting my metabolism, and if maybe I should change to a different method. I do work at a call center, so I'm sedentary for eight hours a day (whereas I was walking around a college campus at age 19 and 21). I'm really not sure if it's the birth control or the change in my activity level due to graduating from school and taking a highly sedentary job.

I keep reading about the paraguard and nuva ring, but I feel so nervous when I think about the procedure and having a potential complication. :\ This might be tmi, but I really enjoy being fingered, and I feel scared when I think about the strings getting dislodged or something. I spoke with my gynecologist about this and she said that an "inserted" birth control possibly could get damaged by that sort of activity. I also like the idea of being able to just easily stop a procedure--by no longer taking pills, by not scheduling another depo injection, etc--if one method isn't working for me, and I don't know if I could easily do that with a paraguard or a similar method.

I really hope I'm not coming off as over-concerned about my weight--I suppose I'm just exploring my options.

(EDITED for clarification)

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 30, 2011

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

legsarerequired posted:

Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight while on hormonal birth control? If so, could you give me the name of whatever you were doing?

I'm 23-years old and my BMI is at the lower end of the obese range. Despite cutting fast food, sodas, junk food, etc out of my diet and exercising four times a week with running and weight lifting, I still have yet to lose more than five pounds in the past four months. I definitely feel more energetic and I'm noticeable stronger and I can run longer--but somehow, my shape isn't changing.

Before I got on the depo shot, I would shed about ten pounds and get in the upper end of the healthy range just because I was running regularly or taking a break from junk food. I did this twice in the past four years, when I was 19 and 21, usually when I found out that my BMI was edging on the middle of the "overweight" range, so I would start exercising to get back to a healthier weight. I'd have to put effort into avoiding bad foods and exercising a couple times a week, but I didn't work nearly as hard as I am now and I still had much faster results.

I'm just starting to wonder if the shot might be affecting my metabolism, and if maybe I should change to a different method. I do work at a call center, so I'm sedentary for eight hours a day (whereas I was walking around a college campus at age 19 and 21). I'm really not sure if it's the birth control or the change in my activity level due to graduating from school and taking a highly sedentary job.

I keep reading about the paraguard and nuva ring, but I feel so nervous when I think about the procedure and having a potential complication. :\ This might be tmi, but I really enjoy being fingered, and I feel scared when I think about the strings getting dislodged or something. I spoke with my gynecologist about this and she said that an "inserted" birth control possibly could get damaged by that sort of activity. I also like the idea of being able to just easily stop a procedure--by no longer taking pills, by not scheduling another depo injection, etc--if one method isn't working for me, and I don't know if I could easily do that with a paraguard or a similar method.

I really hope I'm not coming off as over-concerned about my weight--I suppose I'm just exploring my options.

(EDITED for clarification)

I had to go to the gyno yesterday to get my paragard out, but it was a very fast procedure with no copay. Not even considered an office visit. E: For the record since I never reported back, it was super easy, I was really nervous but it was a much smaller cramp than what I remember the insertion being, however i felt like my uterus didn't release the cramp for a good minute or so, and I felt a bit queasy, but soon it as fine. The doc just asked why I wanted it out, I said I haven't needed birth control for years cuz I have a girlfriend now, and I wanted to try and get my lighter and less crampy periods back, and he was like yeah you probably will! Sadly they didn't let me see it they just wrapped it up and threw it in biohazardous waste. Dang I should have asked, I wanted to see it...

Anyway, risk of complications with modern practices and IUDs is practically nil. The strings can be cut really short if you want them to be. I liked mine left sort of long, cuz then they curl up and sit past the cervix, practically unreachable. But sometimes if you cut the string super short, it can make it harder to check the IUD is in proper position or has moved at all, without an ultrasound procedure. And the short pokey end of the string, which is line thin-gauge plastic fishing line I think, can poke your partner...

I'm fairly sure weight gain problems are common to the depo shot. You could try some other pill or the nuva ring before stepping to the IUD if you think it will help. Nuvaring you can also just decide to take out whenever you want. I had one in for a few weeks and it was giving me weird hormonal mood swings and stomach problems so I just took it out.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 30, 2011

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

legsarerequired posted:

Yes, I lost 56 lbs. last year while on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo / Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Basically I did what you did. I cut fast food and junk food down to nearly nothing, and exercise was 4 days a week of high intensity walking and climbing, 1 day of lighter cardio, and rotating days with weights.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

legsarerequired posted:

Good on you for getting trashy foods out of your diet! In addition to quality of food, quantity can play a big role in your weight. How much (ballpark calories) do you generally eat in a day?

The most popular cause of weight gain that occurs in some women with Depo is an increased appetite. Have you noticed such an increase? How long have you been on the Depo? Do you know how much your weight has changed by since you've been on it?

fully adequite
Dec 13, 2006

Bill Clinton would be willing, if we just ask. If we just ASK.
I started Nuvaring recently and I believe it has suppressed my appetite a little bit, but YMMV. I really like it so far, it's taken my periods from a hellacious monsoon of blood to minor seepage (TMI, sorry internet!)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

legsarerequired posted:

I lost 90 pounds from around spring 2007 through end of summer 2008. I got my first Implanon in October 2007 and I don't feel it slowed me down.

Please head to W&W! The FAQ are really helpful. I was eating a deficit of 1000 calories/day with a macronutrient split of 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% healthy fats. There was more to it, but your details are likely different so that's something you can iron out for yourself. But you really need to track -- if you don't know what you're eating, you don't have any handle on what you're doing.

quote:

I also like the idea of being able to just easily stop a procedure--by no longer taking pills, by not scheduling another depo injection, etc--if one method isn't working for me, and I don't know if I could easily do that with a paraguard or a similar method.
It's actually harder to stop Depo than anything else. If you have an IUD, Nuvaring, Implanon, patch, whatever, and you notice you're having bad side effects, either you can take it out yourself (nuvaring, patch) or you can have an appointment and get it pulled the next day (IUD, Implanon) -- and then that's it. If you have a terrible reaction to Depo, there's nothing anyone can do to stop it; you're stuck with it for over a month no matter what.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I want to say thank you for making this thread. Reading it has been extremely informative and it's very comforting to have such a vast source of information right here for the looking. :)

That said, my birth control prescription is about to run out so it's back to Planned Parenthood for me next month. I've been thinking about exploring some other options. I've been on Ortho-Tri-Cyclin Lo for about 6 years. Started on it about when I started college. It's been working out fine, no problems at all, but it seems there have been some new additions to the birth control options since then. I'd never even heard of this implanon thing before the thread, or the Nuvaring.

The implanon thing sounds especially appealing to me because it looks like it has about the same side effects as hormonal BC (which I already know I can tolerate), and it's no-maintenance, with the added bonus of the possibility of being period-free. That is very appealing!

So I think I will ask PP about it. I figure it couldn't hurt to ask. If I'm wrong, please let me know now.

To add my two cents to the weight loss while on hormonal BC discussion, I've dropped about 10 pounds in the last two months with a light exercise routine and portion control, and still going. I could probably be dropping a lot faster if I exercised more and really watched my diet. It's not crap, but it's probably not great either. Mostly I've just been trying to eat less.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I want to say thank you for making this thread. Reading it has been extremely informative and it's very comforting to have such a vast source of information right here for the looking. :)

That said, my birth control prescription is about to run out so it's back to Planned Parenthood for me next month. I've been thinking about exploring some other options. I've been on Ortho-Tri-Cyclin Lo for about 6 years. Started on it about when I started college. It's been working out fine, no problems at all, but it seems there have been some new additions to the birth control options since then. I'd never even heard of this implanon thing before the thread, or the Nuvaring.

The implanon thing sounds especially appealing to me because it looks like it has about the same side effects as hormonal BC (which I already know I can tolerate), and it's no-maintenance, with the added bonus of the possibility of being period-free. That is very appealing!

So I think I will ask PP about it. I figure it couldn't hurt to ask. If I'm wrong, please let me know now.

To add my two cents to the weight loss while on hormonal BC discussion, I've dropped about 10 pounds in the last two months with a light exercise routine and portion control, and still going. I could probably be dropping a lot faster if I exercised more and really watched my diet. It's not crap, but it's probably not great either. Mostly I've just been trying to eat less.

Implanon is a great option (I'm on my second). They're good for 3 years (!) and you get worry-free protection. But don't count on it eliminating your menses; Implanon is well-known for causing irregular periods, with ragging that can last for several weeks (at a light-moderate level). However, even that cost has been worth the benefits.

I strongly recommend Implanon. You don't have to worry about taking your dose at a certain time every day like the pill, you don't get rollercoaster hormones like with Depo, and you don't have to put anything in your cooch like with an IUD or Nuvaring! :)

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

I think the chance of Implanon stopping your periods entirely is about 1 in 5; if you're not one of the lucky few, you can expect things to get pretty irregular. Aside from the potential period madness, it's great.

SPACEMAN SAM
Jun 24, 2009
Just a reminder to always take care of your end of birth control. Even if you trust your partner. I had a relationship with a woman I trusted and our method of contraception was the pill, she had ran out, forgotten to pick up more, and then did not inform me of this very important change while we had sex. I found this all out two days ago because she is now five weeks into a pregnancy and I am now going to be a very sad 19 year old dad. My friends and family are pretty ashamed of me. Don't do this.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Did you seriously come into the birth control thread just to warn all women not to be irresponsible liars?

I'm sorry you're in a relationship with one, but that doesn't mean the rest of us need to be nagged about it.

SPACEMAN SAM
Jun 24, 2009
That statement was meant for males. Wear condoms.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

legsarerequired posted:

I don't know what you consider significant, but both times I've been on the pill I always lose about 4 or 5 pounds after I start, usually the first month in or so. I don't really change my habits or anything though, apparently that's just how my body reacts to the hormones. They've both been some form of Ortho Tri Cyclen so maybe that has something to do with it.

SPACEMAN SAM posted:

Just a reminder to always take care of your end of birth control. Even if you trust your partner. I had a relationship with a woman I trusted and our method of contraception was the pill, she had ran out, forgotten to pick up more, and then did not inform me of this very important change while we had sex. I found this all out two days ago because she is now five weeks into a pregnancy and I am now going to be a very sad 19 year old dad. My friends and family are pretty ashamed of me. Don't do this.

It sounds like you didn't take your own advice. I'm sorry your girlfriend was irresponsible with her birth control, but I'm not sure why you decided to post this. I know there aren't as many birth control options for men, but they are out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

SPACEMAN SAM posted:

That statement was meant for males. Wear condoms.

This is a predominantly female thread. :shobon: I also don't get why couples don't talk more actively about their birth control schedules. I tell my SO everything though.

• Locked thread