Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Basically, it's time to drag out the tractor again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
I'm also buying a wideband and plan to get a tune from beepee. He recommended the bigger amm, and after test fitting it to my car, I must say a cone filter makes the intake sound a lot better.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

as halfway crooks posted:

im gonna do the pcv on my 850 soon, im scared

never done anything except front end work before

Give yourself a lot of time if you're a novice. There are some tricky parts but for the most part it's nothing physical or requiring weird tools.

But I'm a fairly experienced mechanic and I spent a solid 4 hours doing mine on the V70. although I did the throttle body, all the radiator hoses, and the expansion tank at the same time. It's just tedious removing the fuel rail and manifold, and there's really no getting around it. Don't try to get clever on it, just do it.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

TheJeffers posted:

Basically, it's time to drag out the tractor again.

Or just jack the thing up using the oil pan. v:v:v

I had to do the same thing when I installed the IPD OD solenoid blockoff; you can get enough excursion to unload the mounts without crunching the engine against anything.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

as halfway crooks posted:

im gonna do the pcv on my 850 soon, im scared

never done anything except front end work before

Turbo or na?

Here and here you have two different guides for turbo cars that people I know have used.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I'm needing to trade in my Saab, I think the Volvo C30 look awesome. I comute about an hour a day, any of you own one and commute? Do they really get 31 mpg in practice?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Depends, what engine are we talking about here? Apologies from Sweden if you only have one engine to choose from where you live.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Please don't kill me. :ohdear: I'm just pricing things for the future.

How much do you guys think my car is worth? I'm looking to get a Miata for when I go up to Santa Cruz for school because with gas and college on the horizon I can't really afford a project anymore. :( It's an awesome car though. I don't wanna sell it.

-1984 Volvo 240 Turbo

Upgrades:
--Exterior:
-Flathood and flat trunk
-GT front end, 7" Hella rounds with original fog lamps (good condition all around)
-Tinted windows
-Good paint. Minor scuffs here and there but with a good wax it looks awesome
-Nearly no rust at all.

--Interior:
-Mechanical sunroof (no leaks)
-Absolutely immaculate black headliner. I mean perfect. Never seen a better one.
-Nearly perfect 960 black leather seats. Driver's is electrical; passenger is mechanical
-Rear blue seat in great condition
-Nearly perfect black dash

--Performance (Suspension):
-Koni adjustable shocks & struts
-IPD Sport springs front & rear
-IPD adjustable torque rods
-Brand new brakes and rotors (OEM)
-IPD Sways front & rear

--Performance (Drivetrain):
-1994 B230FT w/ 110k miles running on LH2.4 (563 ECU and goldbox EZK)
---Every gasket in the engine is new. Head was resurfaced and cleaned.
-IPD Turbo Cam & Adjustable cam gear
-3" full turbo-back exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler
-Rebuilt Saginaw pump, Nippondenso 100a alternator, OEM a/c delete bracket
-M47 with brand new Sachs clutch, pilot bearing, throwout bearing
-CravingBoost short-throw shifter with M47 billeted shift knob
-15g turbo w/ IPD heavy duty CBV upgrade kit, braided feed and cooler lines
-E-Fan conversion
-All new silicone piping to replace worn rubber bits
-Hallman Pro MBC
-"New" Junkyard rear axle swap so electronic speedometer works!

--The bad:
-Shifter rattles
-No stereo, no A/C (deleted), currently no heater
-Exhaust rattles. Needs a dampener under the car. May not clear steeper speed bumps.
-Various internals need rewiring (heater, 960 seat power needs to be re-connected, maybe the cigarette lighter... I think that's it?)
-Interior panels need to be put back on
-Oil cooler lines drip a tiny bit. A few drops here and there. Just need to be tightened.
-No EGR so it won't pass smog (I have the EGR assembly and my 90+ manifold has the port for it though.)
-Unregistered engine. Needs to register before it passes smog in California
-Front end was ripped off in order to make room for the engine hoist. Needs bumper bolts and some bending but it's not really noticeable unless you're at eye-level and looking for what I'm talking about. Other than the bolts, this doesn't affect anything.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well, if you do sell it let me know.

I've been contemplating doing to my '85 a lot of what you've already done but I hadn't gotten around to it yet/ever, and I live in SoCal as well. Is it likely you can get it to a state where it'd pass smog/be registratable or are you giving up on those hopes? I've got PMs if you want to talk about it there.

Unfortunately these cars do have a ceiling on value, so a lot of what you've done to it might not see you returning much of your invested funds, but a Volvo lover would certainly be the most likely to give you a fair price.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Hi guys, I need some help.

My brother got a 2001 V70XC and we put a stereo in it this weekend. I was an idiot and didn't read enough beforehand, which led to me not disconnecting the battery and turning the car on with the climate control system out. This popped the "SRS Warning" message and light on the dash. Whoops.

No big deal, we took it to a local European auto place with a good reputation to clear the code. When the mechanic hooked the car up to his reader, he said it couldn't communicate because we'd taken out the factory radio.

I've poked around turbobricks and volvoforum and I can't find a consensus on this. Some people say it's no big deal, and I found a post on one of those forums from Lloyddobbler saying it should be fine. What can I do/check to allow a mechanic with a VADI(S?) tool to reset the SRS warning? Any ideas?

dr1verdown
Jan 17, 2009
Sorry to continue beating the PCV issue into the ground, but I've been through a few pages of this thread and didn't see anything about the PCV causing a rear main seal leak on the 850 non-turbos. Can anybody set me straight here? I just bought a 97 850 non turbo with 105k for $2500 and aside from the oil being neglected, looks and drives great.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

TacoHavoc posted:

What can I do/check to allow a mechanic with a VADI(S?) tool to reset the SRS warning? Any ideas?

Put the factory radio back in, have them reset it, then install the deck again the right way? Shouldn't take very long since it's the second time doing it, and it's not like you even need it in there perfectly with all the trim, just plugged in.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Umph posted:

I'm needing to trade in my Saab, I think the Volvo C30 look awesome. I comute about an hour a day, any of you own one and commute? Do they really get 31 mpg in practice?

I have an S40 2.4i and it gets about 25mpg. In the US the C30 and S40 are only available in T5, but the milage difference between the two is negligible from what I hear.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

TacoHavoc posted:

Hi guys, I need some help.

My brother got a 2001 V70XC and we put a stereo in it this weekend. I was an idiot and didn't read enough beforehand, which led to me not disconnecting the battery and turning the car on with the climate control system out. This popped the "SRS Warning" message and light on the dash. Whoops.

No big deal, we took it to a local European auto place with a good reputation to clear the code. When the mechanic hooked the car up to his reader, he said it couldn't communicate because we'd taken out the factory radio.

Sounds like nonsense. Did you by any chance forget to put both plugs in the climate control? Other than that the car should hook up and talk just fine, and it should allow an SRS reset and an AUD delete. Otherwise yeah, put the stereo back in just to appease the mechanic. If he has a similar problem after that, make sure they don't charge you and take it to another shop.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

dr1verdown posted:

Sorry to continue beating the PCV issue into the ground, but I've been through a few pages of this thread and didn't see anything about the PCV causing a rear main seal leak on the 850 non-turbos. Can anybody set me straight here? I just bought a 97 850 non turbo with 105k for $2500 and aside from the oil being neglected, looks and drives great.

clogged pcv causes increased crankcase pressure, increased crankcase pressure can (and eventually will) cause rms failure

clean the ptc first

im about to go on this journey for the first time myself too

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

LloydDobler posted:

Sounds like nonsense. Did you by any chance forget to put both plugs in the climate control? Other than that the car should hook up and talk just fine, and it should allow an SRS reset and an AUD delete. Otherwise yeah, put the stereo back in just to appease the mechanic. If he has a similar problem after that, make sure they don't charge you and take it to another shop.

Definitely got both plugs in the climate control, and all the climate stuff is working fine so I don't think that's it. The AUD delete is something I hadn't considered though. So if I put the factory stereo back in, get the SRS reset and the AUD delete done, then unplug the battery and put back in the aftermarket stereo, I should be fine? I really don't want to pull the dash apart to swap stereos, but I will if I have to.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

As long as you don't unplug the HVAC you don't even have to disconnect the battery. The wires are long enough to dangle it in the driver's footwell while you do the stereo swap.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Well, if you do sell it let me know.

I've been contemplating doing to my '85 a lot of what you've already done but I hadn't gotten around to it yet/ever, and I live in SoCal as well. Is it likely you can get it to a state where it'd pass smog/be registratable or are you giving up on those hopes? I've got PMs if you want to talk about it there.

Unfortunately these cars do have a ceiling on value, so a lot of what you've done to it might not see you returning much of your invested funds, but a Volvo lover would certainly be the most likely to give you a fair price.

It's not that it can't pass smog; I just don't want to spend any more time or effort into doing so when it costs significantly less to simply go the route of "knowing a guy who knows a guy who owns a smog place". To put a cat on this thing costs as much as just getting some guy to pass it.

I have the entire EGR setup. For a car to attain legality with a swap, it must have all the equipment for EGR that originally came on the car and have the check engine light hooked up as well (wiring diagrams will tell you no problem). Also, it won't pass visual with a catch can, but I have the original turbo intake with the PCV hose attachment so it will.

You're always welcome to come down and drive it for fun. :) I'm always up for meeting new people and you can meet my secretly nerdy Internet mechanic friends.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

zundfolge posted:

Anyone have any tips for replacing motor mounts in a 240? Both of mine are broken, and it's looking like the job will be a giant pain in the rear end.

Got this done with two jacks and a wooden stave.

It was a tremendous pain, but the engine is much more stable now-I'd say it was worth the effort. It also cleared up a weird vibration under braking that I thought was an unbalanced wheel or a rotor with terrible deposits on it.

I also installed this fun little thing:

For those not in the know, this is the rare power steering pump bracket for B230s that came without air conditioning. I haven't had power steering since I got the car 6 months ago because my A/C compressor was seized; fortunately, I was able to pull this off my old wagon before it moved on to a new owner. It's great to have PS again-I forgot how nice the 240 steering feel is.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 27, 2011

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well, I have asked about the Audi Q7. It was nice and a good vehicle but felt heavy while driving it and didn't quite have the nimble feel to it. So here is my question for all the volvo guys.

Looking at the XC90, I am aware of the GM transmission fiasco, so I know what years to stay away from. We drove a 3.2 and it felt really nice, nimble yet confident. I still need the capability to tow 3000 pounds. Again, how friendly are these for wrenching, and general upkeep?

Any thing else to look out for? Right now the car search has been narrowed down to the BMW X5 with a strait 6 of some flavor and the Volvo XC90.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My XC90 just went off CPO on Monday. It's an '05 with the 2.5 turbo motor and 72k miles.

It's been ridiculously solid. Its CPO paid off well, because in the last year I've had control arm bushings, tie rod ends and sway bar end links replaced. I also made a fuss about the angle gear leaking and they ended up replacing the angle gear on their dime.

Other than front end components that are expected with a heavy truck over 5 years old, I've got very few issues to bring up. It seems like the early problems were sorted by 2005.

I liken driving it to a refrigerator... it's about that fun. For utility, though? It's tough to beat. 7 person seating comes in very handy, with the separate rear air conditioning unit a nice benefit for those in the back. The Rear Seat Entertainment package was one of the main reasons we got the vehicle and it's proven immeasurably valuable. The AWD system works unobtrusively... It's just a solid vehicle.

It's also extremely long in the tooth. I looked at the brand new 2011 version on the showroom floor and, except for exterior trim, they are selling virtually the exact same vehicle today.

I see them everywhere around here. They are not unique, exciting or fun. They are excellent vehicles, though.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
I have a question on whether a particular used beater Turbobrick is a good idea. Here's the info on it:

1995 Volvo 850 turbo wagon with 200K on the clock, leather heated seats, electric windows, sunroof, A/C, all the usual stuff. The seller said the leather is worn, the car may have some rust, the rear wiper doesn't work and the tires will need replacement soon. The kicker is that the car starts runs for a few minutes and then shuts off, pretty much verbatim from the ad.

My guess is there's something off with the fuel delivery, either the pump, clogged filter or maybe the idle control valve. Possibly a vacuum leak or a sensor?

All of this for the low, low price of $900, heh. Would I be getting myself into something unpleasant if I try to buy this, bodge it and drive it home two hours away?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Francis Baconator posted:

I have a question on whether a particular used beater Turbobrick is a good idea. Here's the info on it:

1995 Volvo 850 turbo wagon with 200K on the clock, leather heated seats, electric windows, sunroof, A/C, all the usual stuff. The seller said the leather is worn, the car may have some rust, the rear wiper doesn't work and the tires will need replacement soon. The kicker is that the car starts runs for a few minutes and then shuts off, pretty much verbatim from the ad.

My guess is there's something off with the fuel delivery, either the pump, clogged filter or maybe the idle control valve. Possibly a vacuum leak or a sensor?

All of this for the low, low price of $900, heh. Would I be getting myself into something unpleasant if I try to buy this, bodge it and drive it home two hours away?

I wouldn't expect to drive it two hours. Could be anything from a clogged fuel filter to a totally overheated/warped engine. In the latter case, it's not worth 900 bucks!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Francis Baconator posted:

Do some googling on the immobilizer and see if this is a symptom of that going south. I seem to remember something like that.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
:wtf: "May have some rust?" :wtf:

Maybe he could go check real quick and get back to you on that? :psyduck:

"May not have an engine." On a '95 850 both would be about the same dealbreaker for me.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
00 V70R
It may have been there all along and it may be normal, but I have become increasingly aware of a clunking sound coming from the passenger side dash/floor area when I start the car. It's a single clunk and it happens about 1-2 seconds after the car starts.
Any idea what it could be?

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

kmcormick9 posted:

00 V70R
It may have been there all along and it may be normal, but I have become increasingly aware of a clunking sound coming from the passenger side dash/floor area when I start the car. It's a single clunk and it happens about 1-2 seconds after the car starts.

post a pic of ur cute lil bby

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kmcormick9 posted:

00 V70R

Left or right side of the car? Seriously, for some of us the passenger side is on the left.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Cakefool posted:

Left or right side of the car? Seriously, for some of us the passenger side is on the left.

Passenger side is the right side.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Cakefool posted:

I still think this is because the negative was reversed on the first photo of a car Britain saw. :v:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I can't find a firm answer on this: Does an S80 2.5TAWD require premium fuel, or is 87 right? After finally getting around to doing a few things, I figured out my car is not a 2.9 6 cyl but a turbo awd 5 cyl. I'm actually kind of annoyed at whoever took the badge off of it, but that's a deal for another time.

The EPA Fuel Economy thing lists every Volvo S80 as using Premium Fuel, the manual says AKI of 87, but the manual also doesn't seem to acknowledge Turbo actually exists.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My turbo's manual states that minimum is 87 but 91 is recommended.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Our 740 turbo gets noticeably better gas mileage with Premium. 2-3 mpg depending on driving. With that and the manual saying it's recommended, welp.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The cars will pull the timing a lot less and you'll get more umph out of it, and in some cases better mileage, if you use high octane.

Do the math and see just how much more it really costs you every week or two, and see if it's really that big of a deal. I fill up with premium and it only costs me an extra 6 bucks a tank or so. I blow more than that on snacks.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Casao posted:

I figured out my car is not a 2.9 6 cyl but a turbo awd 5 cyl. I'm actually kind of annoyed at whoever took the badge off of it, but that's a deal for another time.

You know you can open the hood and count the cylinders... or the plug wires... or take the cover plate off... or how many manifold pipes... or check the engine serial... or the VIN number... or............

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Splizwarf posted:

I still think this is because the negative was reversed on the first photo of a car Britain saw. :v:

I have no witty retort, I'm laughing too hard.

Anyway, gently caress dpd couriers for saying they left my Skandix order "in my agreed safe place in front of the house" I live in a terrraced house. 200 of parts I've now got to prove I never received.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Oxphocker posted:

You know you can open the hood and count the cylinders... or the plug wires... or take the cover plate off... or how many manifold pipes... or check the engine serial... or the VIN number... or............

Yes, I can. And I did? The point was, I got an S80, wasn't told it was a Turbo, didn't have a Turbo badge. I mean, I could also check a hundred other things, but haven't had reason to do so.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
:qq: My free S80 has one less cylinder and one more turbo than I thought it did :qq:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Arzakon posted:

:qq: My free S80 has one less cylinder and one more turbo than I thought it did :qq:

That's only one in a series... first there was:

Casao posted:

Is there any reasons I wouldn't want to take an S60 over an 850? I'm not sure of the exact year, but it's well maintained and in much better condition.

Oh, it's actually an S60, not an S70.

Followed by:

Casao posted:

So, turns out what I'd misremembered as an S60 is actually a 2004 S80 with 55k miles on it, and it's in awesome condition. This thing owns.

Then he finds out there's a turbo hiding under the hood. I'm waiting for the next revelation that it's really a WRX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

meatpimp posted:

That's only one in a series... first there was:

Followed by:

Then he finds out there's a turbo hiding under the hood. I'm waiting for the next revelation that it's really a WRX.

Or a jet turbine... they had those in the 50s didn't they?