Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

What would one call this thing? I've tried various permutations of concrete, bracket and anchor and can't find this on Lowe's or Home Depot's website.

A concrete saddle is what I've heard them called on Holmes on Homes.

Home Depot has a "pier support" bracket that is similar: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100323005/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I didn't find anything similar at Lowe's website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Just go to the store. There'll be a whole bunch of brackets with the deck building stuff, just in from the lumber.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Phummus posted:

I'm installing a Basement Watchdog backup sump pump in my new (new to me) house.

I'm using the existing discharge pipe from the main AC pump, connecting with a Y above both check valves.

When I activate the backup pump, there's a lot of gurgling and gushing in the sump hole, and water sprays out of the vent hole I drilled in the pip below the check valve. However, water does not make it all the way outside. I'm looking at a lift of about 9 feet or so.

Everything discharges fine with the main pump, but the backup one isn't clearing the sump hole. Any thoughts?

Did you install the backup pump's check valve backwards? Is it jammed shut?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

CuddleChunks posted:

A concrete saddle is what I've heard them called on Holmes on Homes.

Home Depot has a "pier support" bracket that is similar: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100323005/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I didn't find anything similar at Lowe's website.

I saw that too, not sure if it would work for my application though. The link jeremiah johnson posted led me to the correct name, which is post base. They carry them at both Lowe's and Home Depot, and are more expensive than one might expect.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I'm putting a bed together my brother had in storage. Parts were missing, and I contacted the manufacturer to get the parts I thought I needed. Underneath the mattress goes 4 wooden boards with holes in the middle, as mattress supports.

Part A (the company sent me) go on the floor. The board goes between parts B and C, then C screws into B. That's the adjustable part, screwing C up/down into B. Somehow B is supposed to attach to A (the floor cup), but I have no idea how, and I may be missing a part. Anybody familiar with these?

CadavericSpasm
Nov 5, 2009
The backsplash in my kitchen is made up of what seems to be unglazed ceramic tile in a sort-of linen/pale terracotta colour. Its porous and rustic-looking but it doesn't go well with the colours I picked for the kitchen. Would I be able to paint over it? If so, can I safely paint over the grout lines and is there a specific type of paint I should be using?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
What makes Ice from Ice Machines smell bad?

I have lived in a lot of different places, and this is not the first time an icemaker has made smelly ice. Usually I just avoid it, but this time I would really like to fix it. What can I do?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

CadavericSpasm posted:

The backsplash in my kitchen is made up of what seems to be unglazed ceramic tile in a sort-of linen/pale terracotta colour. Its porous and rustic-looking but it doesn't go well with the colours I picked for the kitchen. Would I be able to paint over it? If so, can I safely paint over the grout lines and is there a specific type of paint I should be using?

Even better would be to stain the tile. You could mix pigment with a carrier or you could even water down latex paint
Painting it wouldn't be a problem though for the tile but the paint you choose will have to be able to stick to the masonry. Maybe a primer would be best first

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

I have lived in a lot of different places, and this is not the first time an icemaker has made smelly ice. Usually I just avoid it, but this time I would really like to fix it. What can I do?

It picks up smells from the fridge, I think. You could try thoroughly washing the fridge and freezer, then putting a bowl/box of baking soda in both compartments.

And making sure any food in there is covered sealed up tight and not growing fuzz/becoming sentient.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

particle409 posted:

I'm putting a bed together my brother had in storage. Parts were missing, and I contacted the manufacturer to get the parts I thought I needed. Underneath the mattress goes 4 wooden boards with holes in the middle, as mattress supports.

Part A (the company sent me) go on the floor. The board goes between parts B and C, then C screws into B. That's the adjustable part, screwing C up/down into B. Somehow B is supposed to attach to A (the floor cup), but I have no idea how, and I may be missing a part. Anybody familiar with these?

Part B is called an insert nut. Look inside it where you insert the screw, there should be a 6 sized indentation where you use a hex key a.k.a. Allen wrench to screw the insert nut into the hole in part A. You may or may not be missing the hex key to turn it. Usually they're included with the parts bag, but if not you can pick one up at any hardware store. Take the nut with you, it might be some weird metric size.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 28, 2011

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So I live in a tiny apartment (college yay) and I'm trying to sort out my kitchen a bit more. I'd like to move my myriad of cookie sheets out of my cabinets and replace the space with, I dunno, something else.

My plan is to just attach some big fuckoff magnets to the wall with command strips and then slap the sheets on the big fuckoff magnets. Problem is, I'm not sure where to get myself a handful of big fuckoff magnets. Hook me up, dudes.

e: I can do other stuff with magnets on my walls too, but I need magnets.

Would like to add shelves but the walls are loving concrete so I can't really drill into them without wrecking a few bits and probably burning out my old-rear end drill.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 28, 2011

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

My crummy apartment complex was built in the 70s. The water shutoffs are per building, not per unit, so when one of the ancient faucets or shower heads explodes, the entire building goes without water for however long it takes to fix it. Running my tiny microwave and my blow dryer at the same time is hilariously enough to trip a breaker.

Obviously I doubt you could build today with that sort of setup, but how would one look up the building code and/or find out what codes can be grandfathered? Is it necessary to buy the book or is it available for reference from the city?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

NancyPants posted:

My crummy apartment complex was built in the 70s. The water shutoffs are per building, not per unit, so when one of the ancient faucets or shower heads explodes, the entire building goes without water for however long it takes to fix it. Running my tiny microwave and my blow dryer at the same time is hilariously enough to trip a breaker.

Obviously I doubt you could build today with that sort of setup, but how would one look up the building code and/or find out what codes can be grandfathered? Is it necessary to buy the book or is it available for reference from the city?

The building code is available at the library, and stuff can be "grandfathered" forever. If nobody's doing major repair or upgrade requiring a permit, a building never has to be reinspected in most places.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

NancyPants posted:

You can usually find building codebooks at your local library. The most recent NEC version is 2011, it has a whole section about multi-unit dwellings.

Sockser posted:

So I live in a tiny apartment (college yay) and I'm trying to sort out my kitchen a bit more. I'd like to move my myriad of cookie sheets out of my cabinets and replace the space with, I dunno, something else.

My plan is to just attach some big fuckoff magnets to the wall with command strips and then slap the sheets on the big fuckoff magnets. Problem is, I'm not sure where to get myself a handful of big fuckoff magnets. Hook me up, dudes.

Would like to add shelves but the walls are loving concrete so I can't really drill into them without wrecking a few bits and probably burning out my old-rear end drill.

Aren't most cookie sheets aluminum and wouldn't stick to magnets?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Corla Plankun posted:

Bacteria. Run a weak cleaning solution through the system every once in a while, shudder at the black gunge that comes out. Check your machines manual first though.

Sockser - where are you & did you check ebay? Also, google magnetic knife holders, they may be cheaper & look better

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Bacteria. Run a weak cleaning solution through the system every once in a while, shudder at the black gunge that comes out. Check your machines manual first though.

Yup, bacteria. Cakefool is right.

If it disassembles consider boiling the tubing once a year or something.

e: Or replacing.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

Running my tiny microwave and my blow dryer at the same time is hilariously enough to trip a breaker.

Microwaves and hair dryers are both pretty high powered devices. Microwaves are generally in the 1000W range, and I was very surprised to learn that my wife's hair dryer is like 1850W. If the two outlets in question are on the same 15A circuit, then that's definitely enough to trip the breaker. Sure, microwaves are supposed to have a dedicated circuit, as is the bathroom, but that may not have been the case when the building was constructed. Shoot, my house was built in the 40s and my kitchen and front of the living room are all on one circuit, and both bedrooms plus garage are on another.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Phummus posted:

I'm installing a Basement Watchdog backup sump pump in my new (new to me) house.

I'm using the existing discharge pipe from the main AC pump, connecting with a Y above both check valves.

That's probably not a good idea, and probably not to code.

Why not just drain the condensate into your sump hole (if that's allowed in your jurisdiction) and pump it out with your sump, using the now-former condensate line to the outside? This reduces the complexity of the system (check valves) and reduces the chance that you're going to end up with a clogged check valve causing problems for you when you least expect it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Microwaves and hair dryers are both pretty high powered devices. Microwaves are generally in the 1000W range, and I was very surprised to learn that my wife's hair dryer is like 1850W. If the two outlets in question are on the same 15A circuit, then that's definitely enough to trip the breaker. Sure, microwaves are supposed to have a dedicated circuit, as is the bathroom, but that may not have been the case when the building was constructed. Shoot, my house was built in the 40s and my kitchen and front of the living room are all on one circuit, and both bedrooms plus garage are on another.

That's what I mean. They should be on separate circuits, but they're not.

And the circuit list/diagram inside the breaker box is all written in pencil. Consummate professionals.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Sockser - where are you & did you check ebay? Also, google magnetic knife holders, they may be cheaper & look better

re: knife holders. Considered, but I figured there was a markup attached to the name "magnetic knife holder" as opposed to "magnet"

Doesn't need to look pretty, there'll be a cookie sheet covering it

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Sockser posted:

Crack open some dld hard drives
Be careful not to crush any fingers

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
We have a closet that has some kitchen-style cabinets mounted to the wall. I am trying to remove those cabinets.

I have unscrewed it at the top and the bottom, and I have also removed a few screws attaching the two cabinets to each other. The strange thing is, these things are still stuck to the wall. They won't budge at all.

Is it possible they are glued in some fashion? In everything I have read in a brief googling about cabinet installation and removal, there is no mention of adhesives.

Am I so dumb that I can't make something fall off a wall after removing all of its screws?!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If the cabinets do not need to survive, get Viking on them bitches.

If they do, what the gently caress man?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Kaluza-Klein posted:

We have a closet that has some kitchen-style cabinets mounted to the wall. I am trying to remove those cabinets.

I have unscrewed it at the top and the bottom, and I have also removed a few screws attaching the two cabinets to each other. The strange thing is, these things are still stuck to the wall. They won't budge at all.

Is it possible they are glued in some fashion? In everything I have read in a brief googling about cabinet installation and removal, there is no mention of adhesives.

Am I so dumb that I can't make something fall off a wall after removing all of its screws?!

the cabinets in my kitchen are caulked to the wall for whatever reason. So, it's possible.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Giving them a couple good knocks with a mallet set them free. They had stuck to the paint. I was hoping to have a nice surface underneath :(. It's only a closet, I guess.

Thanks guys.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

My apartment is on the first floor, and there is no exterior light. I want to paint the edge of the concrete stairs white so they're more visible in the dark, but google has failed me (I only get results for either wooden stairs, or staining concrete for colour).
I know enough not to use glossy paint because it'd be slippery, but other than that I have no clue.
Any suggestions? Could I just use house paint with some sand mixed in to make it a bit grippy?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
There are special epoxy paints for concrete. Big box stores or your local mom and pop should have it
Best to wear a respirator when you're applying; fumes are strong

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Dead Alice posted:

Any suggestions? Could I just use house paint with some sand mixed in to make it a bit grippy?

I don't know how well this would work with house paint, but any resin-based coating (urethane, epoxy) would be great with some coarse sand mixed in.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Dead Alice posted:

My apartment is on the first floor, and there is no exterior light. I want to paint the edge of the concrete stairs white so they're more visible in the dark, but google has failed me (I only get results for either wooden stairs, or staining concrete for colour).
I know enough not to use glossy paint because it'd be slippery, but other than that I have no clue.

You'd better talk to the landlord first before painting up their property.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Go to the paint store and buy Curb Paint or Parking Lot Paint. It's very bright, reflective, and slightly grippy. You can get easily yellow, red, green, blue, and white. I know they sell it by the pint, quart, and gallon. A pint has enough paint in it to paint a Handicapped parking spot, which is two lines and the curb in front.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

sixide posted:

I don't know how well this would work with house paint, but any resin-based coating (urethane, epoxy) would be great with some coarse sand mixed in.

House paint and sand works just fine,

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Is there a good way to dehumidify a room with the following stipulations:

1. Isn't turning the AC on because girlfriend is cold blooded as gently caress.
2. Isn't loud because I sleep like a meth head caught in an artillery barrage.

My apartment is like, the english basement part of the complex building, so it's ground floor and built into a hillside. Great for most aspects like noise and temperature, but it rains a lot here and I'm seriously concerned about things growing in my stuff, or rotting my clothes.

The plug-in dehumidifier I remember from my parents' basement was loud as hell and probably expensive.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just go shopping for a new dehumidifier, cheap ones will be loud, ' silent' ones will cost more but be worth it.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Also electronic (Peltier effect) dehumidifiers are very quiet, though your pocketbook will hate it come time for the electric bill.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Stew Man Chew posted:

My apartment is like, the english basement part of the complex building, so it's ground floor and built into a hillside. Great for most aspects like noise and temperature, but it rains a lot here and I'm seriously concerned about things growing in my stuff, or rotting my clothes.

The plug-in dehumidifier I remember from my parents' basement was loud as hell and probably expensive.

I have a dehumidifier I got from Sears a few years ago. It does make some noise, but it's white noise that is easy to tune out--it's hard to hear from the other side of a closed door even. Mine has a timer of sorts where it will run in three hour on-off cycles. It was around $100 if memory serves.

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

Stew Man Chew posted:

for cheapness, you could try
http://www.damprid.com/
they sell it at HD and Lowes in more humid areas. Its just pellets that attract moisture, so its silent

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

axia posted:

for cheapness, you could try
http://www.damprid.com/
they sell it at HD and Lowes in more humid areas. Its just pellets that attract moisture, so its silent

It'd be extremely creepy if the pellets were noisy. I imagine they'd hum annoying songs.

I don't know what it costs at the stores and that site doesn't seem to have prices listed anywhere, but you could get bulk silica gel online that probably does the same thing. Non-indicating is cheaper than an indicating version, since the second version has chemicals added that change color when exposed to moisture.

artificialj
Aug 17, 2004

You're the gourmet around here, Eddie.
Seems like silica/ other moisture absorbing products are a pretty poor substitute for a good dehumidifier. I mean, I have a dehumidifier running in my basement, set to shut off when the air hits 40% relative humidity, and some days it sucks up 5+ gallons of water. That's a loving lot of silica (or whatever) to be replacing every week.

Granted I live in a fairly moist area of the country, but if you are wondering about this at all, then you probably do too.

Just go to home depot or something and buy a dehumidifier, go for a silent one, and return it if it's too loud (check their return policy first). I got like a $150 one from amazon, and it has made my previously disgusting basement into a really nice area of the house.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Most probably are a poor substitute for an actual dehumidifier, but I'm willing to bet that silica, with the cheaper bulk option and the ability to absorb up to 40% of its weight in water is probably a better choice than a commercial (probably silica anyway) product.

I bet you could get a dehumidifier that isn't too noisy and doesn't cost a ton. Appliances tend to get better and cheaper as technology improves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artificialj
Aug 17, 2004

You're the gourmet around here, Eddie.

NancyPants posted:

is probably a better choice than a commercial (probably silica anyway) product.

Yeah, I'm definitely with you there, much better to buy it bulk than pay for it in tiny labeled packages.