Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Thinking of picking up Dark Fall 2 and the Aquanox games (already have DF1, Spellforce and Painkiller). How "underwater-y" is Aquanox? Does it play like a sci-fi sub simulator, or like Freespace like fish?

Also, people keep saying Aquanox 2 is really bad - why?

It's underwater Freespace. Your ship is so maneuverable that it's like playing a typical first person shooter in a zero-g environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, people keep saying Aquanox 2 is really bad - why?

Actually, I hear the exact opposite that A2 improved and fixed quite a few issues from the first game, but I never played either so take that for what it is.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Gave in and picked up Postal 2 because I've never played it before. It was a lot of fun for the time being.

Then I noticed they had Interstate '76, a game I haven't played since I was a child. I plan on picking that up as soon as possible.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I've only played Aquanox 2 and it's pretty horrible. It has an obnoxious repetative soundtrack, bland graphics (just a few generic visual cues to let you know you're underwater), absolutely abysmal voice acting and cut scenes, and the actual combat is boring and frustrating. and Is 1 really any better?

Edit: I'm looking for some new strategy game and The Guild and Spellforce both look pretty good. Since I know virtually nothing about either one, what should I learn before picking one up?

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 27, 2011

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Welp, I already had Painkiller, and I've just nabbed myself the two Aquanox games, The Nations Gold because it looks :coal:, Spellforce, and well, if JoWood's catalog goes bye bye, I think I'm pretty decently set.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

hypo-crit posted:

Gave in and picked up Postal 2 because I've never played it before. It was a lot of fun for the time being.

Then I noticed they had Interstate '76, a game I haven't played since I was a child. I plan on picking that up as soon as possible.

I believe that despite all of their efforts, the GOG version of Interstate '76 runs terribly. Unless that's been fixed, you should avoid it.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Centipeed posted:

I believe that despite all of their efforts, the GOG version of Interstate '76 runs terribly. Unless that's been fixed, you should avoid it.
I certainly have no performance problems on my GF9800, both the standard and glide version (which runs through a wrapper, of course).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gashroom posted:

I certainly have no performance problems on my GF9800, both the standard and glide version (which runs through a wrapper, of course).

The problems with I'76 are not performance issues, but stability problems. Also, above certain framerates the AI and physics wig out completely.

This is particularly a problem if the glide wrapper doesn't work (as it doesn't for me) and you need to run it in software mode, as software rendering can't be effectively frame-limited.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

al-azad posted:

They filed for bankruptcy in January and are either about to close or be gobbled up by another company.

Oh wow. I wonder what this means for the JoWood games on Steam too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Charles Martel posted:

Oh wow. I wonder what this means for the JoWood games on Steam too.

They might disappear from the store, but chances are they will still remain in the library. A couple of games have done this, as well. I can't recall any game that disappeared from people's libraries.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Have anyone tried Gothic 4? It is has bad has most people say?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm thinking of getting both Dark Fall games, Spellforce, and Painkiller- thoughts?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

C-Euro posted:

Painkiller
Painkiller is awesome, period. It's very unlike Serious Sam in that it encourages moving very quickly in combat. If you really have doubts, look up this excellent LP:

http://lparchive.org/Painkiller-and-Battle-out-of-Hell/

Edit: If you stop jumping, you're doing it wrong.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 27, 2011

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Pretty much poo poo and there is an entire city you cannot go to because they were saving it for DLC. Problem is, they (JoWood) went under and it's unlikely the DLC will ever see the light of day.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, anyone that doesn't have Painkiller Black on DD already needs to get it straight away! Game is loving incredible, as many have said it's pretty much the true sequel to Doom II. Although it does have a strange problem on my laptop where it runs in slow motion whenever it gets busy, so low-spec goons might want to try the demo first.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

I wouldn't recommend you pick up the Guild unless you're the type of person who enjoys a complex web of political intrigue, underhanded chicanery used to outplay you're social and business rivals and ruthless tactics as you kidnap, sabotage and outright kill to put yourself in a position of power... so that you can then write the laws and pass the sentencing against those who might try to wrest control from you.

I just can't imagine that would appeal to anyone.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Risen is essentially Gothic 4. "Gothic 4" was made by some other jokers and is nothing even remotely compared to the others.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Convex posted:

Yeah, anyone that doesn't have Painkiller Black on DD already needs to get it straight away! Game is loving incredible, as many have said it's pretty much the true sequel to Doom II. Although it does have a strange problem on my laptop where it runs in slow motion whenever it gets busy, so low-spec goons might want to try the demo first.

I will check that poo poo out man. I've heard that it's just crazy fun to play from other people before and at that price I just can't say no!

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Convex posted:

Yeah, anyone that doesn't have Painkiller Black on DD already needs to get it straight away! Game is loving incredible, as many have said it's pretty much the true sequel to Doom II.

I don't know why people say this. Granted, I've only finished the first chapter of Painkiller but Doom was awesome because of the great level design and Painkiller is a linear series of rooms in which you stand around, blow up bad guys, and move on to the next room. Does that change later on? It's not a bad game in any way, but I haven't seen anything deserving of a comparison to Doom 2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

I don't know why people say this. Granted, I've only finished the first chapter of Painkiller but Doom was awesome because of the great level design and Painkiller is a linear series of rooms in which you stand around, blow up bad guys, and move on to the next room. Does that change later on? It's not a bad game in any way, but I haven't seen anything deserving of a comparison to Doom 2.

The later levels become more labyrinthine in design but it's still "enter room, kill monsters, find switch/key, move on."

e: Some of the later levels are really bad rear end. There's one that takes place in a massive castle and another that has you jumping around floating, disjointed islands as you try to find the loving mouth of hell.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Good to hear on Painkiller, how about Dark Fall, Dark Fall 2, and Spellforce?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I think Yahtzee's take on Painkiller was pretty accurate. It has a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning!

Some of the levels are confusing as poo poo to figure out where you're supposed to be going, but for $4 I can vouch for it as my favourite title from this sale.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Knowing that some people were pretty disappointed when they found out Grim Fandango won't be getting released by GOG anytime in the near future, it's worth pointing out that ScummVM's sister project Residual finally started making noteworthy progress again. Grim Fandango is now completable, but still full of bugs. It's some solace from the realization that Lucas Licensing hates you.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Which one of these promotional games is best for a netbook?
Not Gothic II, right?

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Casimir Radon posted:

Residual finally started making noteworthy progress again. Grim Fandango is now completable, but still full of bugs.

Sweet!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Adam Bowen posted:

Painkiller is a linear series of rooms in which you stand around
You're doing it entirely loving wrong and i don't see how that can work even in the first chapter, unless you play it on easy. Look at the LP i linked earlier.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's been said, but Painkiller is exactly as run-and-gun as it sounds, but if you're just strolling through each level using the same gun over and over, you're doing it completely wrong. The level and character design, the scummy walls and metal soundtrack, all beg for you to execute maneuvers with far more enjoyment than that.

Even without fancy-pants achievements pushing you in the "right" direction, you should really try playing the game with a bit of style: flipping through weapons almost at random, combining different effects of the weapons, loving around with the idiotic enemies and prancing around them to draw them into a group quickly dispatched with a weapon combo, and thrashing at their corpses until they evaporate in a green puff. And most of all, cheating whenever you loving want to with the PowerMad cheat scripts. (http://www.mediafire.com/file/xuwv0jp69cbptm6/Powermad-3.62.exe)

A similar, recent game rewards such style with silly points popups and dumb expressions. Just pretend that style counts in Painkiller and it gets to be a lot more fun.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Adam Bowen posted:

Painkiller is a linear series of rooms in which you run backwards, blow up bad guys, and move on to the next room

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Painkiller is a good game, but some of the design decisions irked me. One, the collection of souls thing instead of just being able to focus on gunning enemies. The tarot card system that forces you to play a level in a certain way to get the bonus. For the completionist in me, that's lame.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Painkiller is a bunch of really, really great weapons stuck in an otherwise mediocre game. Better level design and more interesting enemies would have made it a genuine heir to Doom's throne.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

sethsez posted:

Painkiller is a bunch of really, really great weapons stuck in an otherwise mediocre game. Better level design and more interesting enemies would have made it a genuine heir to Doom's throne.

It's also a pretty decent 1v1 duelling game. It was used as the primary duel game for competitive FPS for a season or two.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

sethsez posted:

The first few levels are bland, but from Part 2 onward I thought the levels were amazing. I liked how the locations' layouts felt realistic (i.e. the opera house, asylum), but they'd still force you to take a windy typical FPS path through them.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I feel like some of them dragged on, but it's been awhile since I played it. Then I ran out of steam somewhere in the "industrial" level and never finished it :\

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
drat it, well, at least I didn't own any of those, so got them all. :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

The first few levels are bland, but from Part 2 onward I thought the levels were amazing. I liked how the locations' layouts felt realistic (i.e. the opera house, asylum), but they'd still force you to take a windy typical FPS path through them.

poo poo, I forgot about the asylum. Really atmospheric design on that one.

I also have to shout out for Necrovision. It too has that unpolished, European game feeling but I can't think of another title that lets me stab a dude in the heart with a bayonet then blow his face away followed by a kick to his lifeless corpse into a horde of other enemies. It's more focused on level-design than Painkiller or Serious Sam so you're trudging through catacombs, flipping switches, finding keys, and throwing swords at anything that gets in your way.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

al-azad posted:

I also have to shout out for Necrovision. It too has that unpolished, European game feeling but I can't think of another title that lets me stab a dude in the heart with a bayonet then blow his face away followed by a kick to his lifeless corpse into a horde of other enemies. It's more focused on level-design than Painkiller or Serious Sam so you're trudging through catacombs, flipping switches, finding keys, and throwing swords at anything that gets in your way.

Yeah, the NecroVisioN series is pretty much the spiritual successor to the Painkiller games. They take a pretty modern system to run, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So I assume that Dark Fall, Dark Fall 2, and Spellforce Platinum are all worthwhile purchases?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

al-azad posted:

Well drat, that sounds like something I'll have to check out.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

al-azad posted:

I like all those old-school mechanics though, finding keys, flipping switches. Will definitely have to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
What are the general opinions here on Panzer Elite, Neighbors from Hell, the Dark Fall games, and Alien Nations / The Nations Gold Edition? Are any of those worth picking up? Those are the only ones in the promo that I'm not familiar with / don't already have.