Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Revolver, Night train, and The Other Guys are all pretty good.

Some more batshit insane than the others, but still pretty good.

ENTIRE RUN OF THE TWILIGHT ZONE, BOOYA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus Bongman
Oct 12, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

ENTIRE RUN OF THE TWILIGHT ZONE, BOOYA!

Amen. I have the whole series on DVD and I'm still watching them through Netflix just because I can.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I just noticed that Mega-Shark vs Crocosaurus is on Netflix. Is this a sequel to Mega-Shark vs Giant Octopus?

Not same director or anything, but god I hope the Crocosaurus eats a 747.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Please, please, if you are a fan of movies in general and horror in particular, see Suspiria.

My post in the "rate movies" thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184582&pagenumber=74#post390991692

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Here is a gem of a movie I watched last night:
How To Get Ahead In Advertising.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/How_to_Get_Ahead_in_Advertising/60027024?trkid=2430625#height1493

A dark comedy about an advertising executive who has a nervous breakdown after struggling to come up with a winning pitch. Then he grows a talking boil on his neck.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Apr 27, 2011

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I watched a strange little French movie last night called Ricky. Single mother meets man, they have some sex, a baby is produced, and the baby grows wings.

Aeronautical disbelief set aside, it was a fun movie and worth watching.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, entire run of Farscape as well.

Netflix is getting more awesome every day.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
44 Inch Chest is worth seeing for John Hurt's performance alone. Bonus Ian McShane.

bobby.vs.shark
Apr 4, 2007
bears on the attack, but he can lick my ballsack
Just started watching Twin Peaks, and besides the horrible Lifetime Movie music in it, it's getting really weird and interesting.

I love Netflix stream!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

bobby.vs.shark posted:

Just started watching Twin Peaks, and besides the horrible Lifetime Movie music in it, it's getting really weird and interesting.

I love Netflix stream!

Man, I felt the same way about the music when I first started watching it. It grows on you over time. (because they don't add any new musical themes until well into the second season)

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Saint Sputnik posted:

44 Inch Chest is worth seeing for John Hurt's performance alone. Bonus Ian McShane.

This movie didn't get reviewed very well for some reason, but the performances were fantastic and really enjoyed it. Everyone kept trying to compare the writing to Tarantino and said it wasn't as good, which seems ridiculous to me.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I've successfully avoided spoilers for 4 years, and am finally getting to marathon Lost all the way through. It's brilliant, I'm glad I didn't watch this week to week.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I saw a decent sci-fi movie called "Hunter Prey" a while ago that was pretty well done. It had an old school sci-fi novel type feel to it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yay Pudding! posted:

I saw a decent sci-fi movie called "Hunter Prey" a while ago that was pretty well done. It had an old school sci-fi novel type feel to it.

I just watched this today and was coming here to recommend it. It's quite well done although it does drag a bit in the middle. I'm really curious to see what this guy does with a larger budget.

Froglight
Oct 5, 2010

Seconding Trailer Park Boys, just watched 5 seasons in 3 days.

It's a hilarious Canadian show, all seasons are on netflix. It's like watching a grown-up Ed, Edd, and Eddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfq3c4Cf1Fs&feature=related

sample from youtube.

GonzoIsKing
Sep 26, 2004
They have the first four seasons(series) of Doctor Who(The newer version). Sweet!

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
I recently discovered that Netflix has the whole run (as far as I know) of Is It Real? on Instant. I'd recommend this series to anyone who's curious about supernatural phenomena, because it's the only series I've seen that has the motto: "Why turn to supernatural explanations, when there's a perfectly good explanation to be found in reality?" Plus it taught me about some old legends I'd never realized were debunked. My favorite episode so far is probably the one on the Chupacabra; the ending blew me away.

Also, I saw that someone in this thread watched Mushi-shi and loved it, so I just want to mention it again. Check out the first two episodes, at least, if it sounds interesting to you at all.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
They Live is on Instant. I'm pretty sure most goons have seen it but if you haven't, watch it and do not question me.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/They_Live/60030998?trkid=496624#height1396

OBEY.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Sports Night is up, which is a great show.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Two older movies are up that I enjoyed.

The first one is the 1985 classic Lifeforce about space vampires brought back by British astronauts featuring a hot chick and has plenty of Patrick Stewart being awesome.

The second is the 1971 The Andromeda Strain featuring a bunch of people I've never heard of but is pretty cool if you are into microbiology or love laughing at 1970's future tech. The film has some camera shots and an editing style that is pretty impressive for the 1970s. There's an updated version staring Benjamin Bratt and Ricky "Silverspoons" Schroder but it's not on instant watch nor as good. The movie is based off the much better book by Michael Crichton.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm just now watching Wet Hot American Summer for the first time and it's pretty decent. Definitely not up to the hype I've heard, but it's entertaining.

Was that H. Jon Benjamin voicing the can of mixed vegetables?

Going to watch Sports Night next because I haven't seen it since it originally aired like a decade ago.

Blemish
Jun 27, 2005

RABID MEAT PIES

JLightning posted:

I'm just now watching Wet Hot American Summer for the first time and it's pretty decent. Definitely not up to the hype I've heard, but it's entertaining.

Was that H. Jon Benjamin voicing the can of mixed vegetables?

Going to watch Sports Night next because I haven't seen it since it originally aired like a decade ago.

Yes it is- the man with the golden voice.
DANGER ZONE!

DoorMatt
Dec 14, 2007
Watch The Nose
Season 5 of Doctor Who is finally up which is awesome.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!

JLightning posted:

Aw that's such a great movie - I end up watching it like once a year. Although it's definitely not for everyone.

Last night I just watched Kick-rear end. Fun comic book movie mixed with underdog awkward teen stuff and a violent 10 year old girl. Don't go looking for it if you want some deep emotional superhero fluff, but watch it if you want a silly, action-packed, fun background movie.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Geodude posted:

Aw that's such a great movie - I end up watching it like once a year. Although it's definitely not for everyone.

It's for everyone that ever wanted to see Michael Ian Black banging Bradley Cooper in the rear end. Which is everyone. So it is for everyone.

To contribute, three classics that are on Netflix now and should be watched by any fan of good filmmaking are One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Dog Day Afternoon, and Bonnie and Clyde.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Mystery Team is now available. If you are a fan of Community and/or Donald Glover then do yourself a favor and watch this immediately. Great cameos by the UCB's Matt Walsh and Lutz from 30 Rock.

I also recommend The Good, The Bad, and The Weird. It is essentially a Korean take on the Spaghetti Western. The action scenes are incredible and put American cinema to shame. It is great change of pace from the typical Korean films I watch like Old Boy or I Saw The Devil.

Feb 8, 2008
Watched Easy A last night. Ended up being a surprisingly good teen comedy. Quite witty and had a good message without being preachy. Anyone who had a christian youth group active at their school (or was even part of one) will get a kick out of how scarily accurate they are portrayed. Excellent supporting cast as well. Also Emma Stone is cute as hell and a really good actor.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Just noticed today that all 7 episodes of Michael and Michael Have Issues is available. If you liked Stella (which is also available) give this a shot.
Also I'm almost done watching Party Down, good show, thanks for recommending it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

DoorMatt posted:

Season 5 of Doctor Who is finally up which is awesome.

Holy poo poo, thank you.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Masterpiece Mystery: Sherlock is on instant watch. It's a modern take on Sherlock Holmes. There are only three episodes to the season but they are each 90 min long. I really cannot recommend this enough. It really is fantastic.

Oddly, it doesn't show up on instantwatcher.com.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

matrocious posted:

Masterpiece Mystery: Sherlock is on instant watch. It's a modern take on Sherlock Holmes. There are only three episodes to the season but they are each 90 min long. I really cannot recommend this enough. It really is fantastic.

Oddly, it doesn't show up on instantwatcher.com.

Well I've only just gotten into it and I loving love it. Feels like the actor playing Sherlock is a young Tom Baker. :allears:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Well I've only just gotten into it and I loving love it. Feels like the actor playing Sherlock is a young Tom Baker. :allears:

The only bad thing about the new Hobbit movie is that there won't be a series two of Sherlock since Martin Freeman is busy for the next two years. :(

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
Watched "My Flesh and Blood" last night. Pretty moving documentary about a single woman in her fifties who took in 11 special needs children to care for. Some parts are really sad though :(

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

wheatpuppy posted:

The only bad thing about the new Hobbit movie is that there won't be a series two of Sherlock since Martin Freeman is busy for the next two years. :(

I watched Sherlock on PBS a few months ago, and at the end of episode 3 the announcer said they would be showing season two in August of 2011. Hopefully all the film was shot before he signed to the Hobbit.

For content, all three of the Millenium films (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Played With Fire, Kicked the Hornet's Nest) are now streaming.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

wheatpuppy posted:

Luckily, you're wrong. Series two is filming right now, Freeman is on break from The Hobbit.

zomboid
Mar 2, 2011
Miramax/Netflix deal is offical. Looks like a bunch of stuff will be available in June.

http://www.slashfilm.com/miramax-signs-deal-netflix/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+slashfilm+%28%2FFilm%29

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

feedmyleg posted:

Luckily, you're wrong. Series two is filming right now, Freeman is on break from The Hobbit.

Huzzah! That's the best news I've heard all week.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

casual poster posted:

Just noticed today that all 7 episodes of Michael and Michael Have Issues is available. If you liked Stella (which is also available) give this a shot.
Also I'm almost done watching Party Down, good show, thanks for recommending it.

Stella is amazing. It's like if Animaniacs were live action and for adults.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Nice Wired article about Netflix:
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/17-10/ff_netflix?currentPage=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

feedmyleg posted:

Oh man that makes me really happy.

• Locked thread