Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I was considering picking up an old Canon 1N body off KEH as I have a number of very nice Canon EF lenses and I really don't have the money to swap over to another system at the moment. Rather spend the spare cash on film and developing gear. Does this sound like a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Sounds like a great idea, go hog wild! What are your very nice EF lenses, by the way?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

pwn posted:

Sounds like a great idea, go hog wild! What are your very nice EF lenses, by the way?

Glad to hear that, was worried there was something broken about the bodies considering how cheap they're going. Any recommendations for a film scanner? Most of my stuff ends up digital and prints are expensive.

28-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L and a 50mm f1.8. I really want to use film to force me to think before I shoot.

EDIT: Scratch that I just found the scanner thread. That being said if anyone lives in Perth Australia and knows a good place to get prints can they tell me?

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 23, 2011

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

XTimmy posted:

Glad to hear that, was worried there was something broken about the bodies considering how cheap they're going. Any recommendations for a film scanner? Most of my stuff ends up digital and prints are expensive.

28-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L and a 50mm f1.8. I really want to use film to force me to think before I shoot.

EDIT: Scratch that I just found the scanner thread. That being said if anyone lives in Perth Australia and knows a good place to get prints can they tell me?

Hey fellow Perthite (well, I'm an ex-Perthite these days), I used to go to http://www.fitzgeraldphoto.com.au/ to get my film processed before I learnt to do it myself, they always did a great job, if a little expensive, but most film based stuff in Perth is expensive. I would guess they're printing would be quite good too, staff are pretty helpful. If you're looking for film, I'd suggest finding an ebay film seller based in SE Asia to get a reasonable price (there are plenty of them), local sellers will gouge you.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is $100 for a stainless 4 reel tank & 3 stainless reels a good price? A seller on CL says it's a good price, but amazon says it's a ripoff. Although she assures me it's the "good" reels, thicker steel with a sprocket mechanism to make them easy to load.

She claims she's selling for what it's worth, so she can afford a plane ticket to fly to California for cancer treatment. Curiouser and curiouser.

Here's a picture of the whole setup she has:

Is this a reasonable deal?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 28, 2019

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

XTimmy posted:

Dunno about prints, but I get all my colour deved at this place, they do dev. only for $2.50 a roll, 120 or 135.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

red19fire posted:

Is $100 for a stainless 4 reel tank & 3 stainless reels a good price? A seller on CL says it's a good price, but amazon says it's a ripoff. Although she assures me it's the "good" reels, thicker steel with a sprocket mechanism to make them easy to load.

She claims she's selling for what it's worth, so she can afford a plane ticket to fly to California for cancer treatment. Curiouser and curiouser.

Here's a picture of the whole setup she has:

Is this a reasonable deal?

The tanks shown are 16 oz and 30oz. To buy them new on Freestyle (w/ PVC/plastic caps as shown) would run you about $50. The reels (2x120, 3x135) would run another $32 new. So $82 for Arista brand tanks and reels. Hewes brand reels w/ sprocket tabs will run the price up as the 135 reels are $20 compared to the $6 Arista reels cost.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Thanks for all the information guys :)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
How would I identify Hewes reels? I got a bunch of stainless ones with my enlarger that I've never used (got like half a dozen reels and only one small tank, had a plastic one already that I liked fine). Two of the 35mm ones are Omega, one of the 120 says it was made in Germany, others don't seem to have identifying labels on them.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I'm at an impasse as to what to use to do some street photography in Provincetown this summer. I've got my Yashica 124G with Fujicolor Pro 400H and my N80 with my 50 1.8 AF-D and Portra 400. All prints are going to be around 13x19. On the one hand the Yashica is less conspicuous because it looks weird and I'm looking down, not at the subject as well as having more detail to make a bigger scan. However, the N80 will have more frames to shoot with, a faster lens and be slightly more comfortable to carry/operate.

The best answer is to get a press camera and give no shits.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

pwn posted:

Adorama's selling HP5 Plus 400 twin packs for $5. I picked up two packs/4 rolls, $13.35 with shipping.

What's the difference between the White and Black box versions of HP5?

charel
Apr 11, 2009
I thought black was 24 exposure only? do they still come with the cool green lids on the canisters?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Well on the site the white box is 24 exposures and the black box is 36. Also the black has a different implementation of the word "Plus" than the white. It looks like one is probably just an old design being phased out and Adorama just happens to have one of each in stock.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

anyone know dev times for luck 400 film? i shot a roll and dunno what HC-110 times are. the massive dev chart and google has me empty handed. i'm guessing 7.5 min sol B?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

guidoanselmi posted:

anyone know dev times for luck 400 film? i shot a roll and dunno what HC-110 times are. the massive dev chart and google has me empty handed. i'm guessing 7.5 min sol B?

It's in German but this:http://www.mahn.net/DL_MAHN/EtzLucky.pdf says you should use 6 mins for dilution 'B'. Try a roll, see what happens.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

wow, I just guessed 6 min 15 sec (I use half dil B) for 12 min 30 sec and it was right on.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

also, I ordered some acros from adorama which has been backordered for a long time now. looks like the X100 isn't the only product affected :(

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Is there a general concensus on what reels to buy? I use the white patterson-reels with the little ball-bearings for 4 rolls of 120 today and I feel a year older from the experience.

I like them well enough for 35mm but not for 120. I remember 120 being fidgety, but not this much. What do you all use?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Prathm posted:

Is there a general concensus on what reels to buy? I use the white patterson-reels with the little ball-bearings for 4 rolls of 120 today and I feel a year older from the experience.

I like them well enough for 35mm but not for 120. I remember 120 being fidgety, but not this much. What do you all use?
Those. I periodically load stainless ones with no ball-bearing advance for machine processing too, so appreciate the Paterson ones.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Ric posted:

Those. I periodically load stainless ones with no ball-bearing advance for machine processing too, so appreciate the Paterson ones.

So are mine just lovely/gunked up? The bearings kept getting stuck and blocking the film.

Maybe I just need to start developing more often instead of figuring I could do 8 rolls in an afternoon. After not developing anything for 2 years.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Prathm posted:

So are mine just lovely/gunked up? The bearings kept getting stuck and blocking the film.

Sure you let the reels dry? At least my experience has been that loading film (mainly 120) onto damp Paterson reels is drat near impossible.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

nielsm posted:

Sure you let the reels dry? At least my experience has been that loading film (mainly 120) onto damp Paterson reels is drat near impossible.

Maybe, though the first film was the one that was the hardest. I'll try bringing some extra reels next time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

nielsm posted:

Yeah, he needs to blow dry them or else he will have Issues. Also, the newer kind with the 1" flanges are easier to load then the ones with the 1/4" flanges. The wide flange is a little easier with 35mm but it makes 120 a LOT easier.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Hewes is the only maker of reels. :colbert:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I switched to steel reels after finding that I was creasing up/fingerprinting my 120 negatives worse with the plastic ones.

Fiannaiocht posted:

I'm at an impasse as to what to use to do some street photography in Provincetown this summer. I've got my Yashica 124G with Fujicolor Pro 400H and my N80 with my 50 1.8 AF-D and Portra 400. All prints are going to be around 13x19. On the one hand the Yashica is less conspicuous because it looks weird and I'm looking down, not at the subject as well as having more detail to make a bigger scan. However, the N80 will have more frames to shoot with, a faster lens and be slightly more comfortable to carry/operate.

The best answer is to get a press camera and give no shits.

It's been said in the MF thread, but I'd love to pull a huge speed graphic with flash gun out of a messenger bag for maximum street photography comedy value.

Keep the N80 around your neck for walking around, the Yashica is a bitch to set up if you have to snap something quickly.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Hewes is the only maker of reels. :colbert:

Are all the reels standard sizes? Would this one fit in the Paterson Universal tank? It looks kind of weird to load, I guess it just slots in between the bars.

Edit:

Unrelated question - do any of you find UV filters helpful for cutting down on purple fringing/chromatic aberration in your photos? I know they can help with color correction and obviously for lens protection, but this article states it can help with fringing. One of my first 35mm rolls with Portra 400 had some pretty bad examples but they were shot at widest aperture without any UV. Obviously stopping down helps, but some situations call for wide aperture and I don't want CA to ruin the image. I am also deciding on whether or not I should invest in a Bay 60 UV filter for my hasselblad, but new they're like $150 and I'd rather not spend it if it's not necessary. Truth is, I haven't shot enough film to really know the difference yet.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 28, 2011

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

pwn posted:

Well on the site the white box is 24 exposures and the black box is 36. Also the black has a different implementation of the word "Plus" than the white. It looks like one is probably just an old design being phased out and Adorama just happens to have one of each in stock.
What they are selling is the HP5 plus 400 36 exposure, but it looks nothing like the picture on the website. It's a special that ilford did where it was a buy one get one free but in the box. I picked up a couple today (thank you end of passover) and it's two rolls in one box, expires december 2012. A nice deal.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It's been said in the MF thread, but I'd love to pull a huge speed graphic with flash gun out of a messenger bag for maximum street photography comedy value.

Have done this (not messenger bag), it owns. I just got back from shooting my Speed Graphic at the zoo today, actually.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I need to see some pictures / video of you doing this. Are all of your streetphotos of people with wide open mouths and dumb looks of confused surprise? Bonus points if you wear a fedora or similar hat with "PRESS" tucked into it.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 28, 2011

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Have done this (not messenger bag), it owns. I just got back from shooting my Speed Graphic at the zoo today, actually.
I finally got to spend some time wandering around with the Technika hanging off my shoulder last weekend, and it's surprisingly stealthy. People just assume you're all serious business, you can do whatever you want! Got a few :stare: but that's about it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I need to see some pictures / video of you doing this. Are all of your streetphotos of people with wide open mouths and dumb looks of confused surprise? Bonus points if you wear a fedora or similar hat with "PRESS" tucked into it.

The girl I went to the zoo with was taking some pictures of me taking pictures, if she posts them on FB I'll post them up here. As far as people, it's surprisingly easy:

Finished by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Chuggin' by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Ski Free by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Conversation by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

FasterThanLight posted:

I finally got to spend some time wandering around with the Technika hanging off my shoulder last weekend, and it's surprisingly stealthy. People just assume you're all serious business, you can do whatever you want! Got a few :stare: but that's about it.

Yeah, you can pretty much get away with murder shooting LF. It just wraps around to novel/cool, or at least harmless eccentric :v:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, you can pretty much get away with murder shooting LF. It just wraps around to novel/cool, or at least harmless eccentric :v:

Medium format is kind of like that too, except you get a few "Hey cool, I used to have one of those!" comments, which is nice, like the old German gentleman that got all happy when he saw my Rolleiflex. Hell, half the time people assume there isn't even film in the camera which makes for interesting times when people think that you're just pretending to take their picture.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Mannequin posted:

Are all the reels standard sizes? Would this one fit in the Paterson Universal tank? It looks kind of weird to load, I guess it just slots in between the bars.

Yeah, I should have said Hewes was the only maker of 35mm reels. I haven't found any brand to be better than another when it comes to 120. They all seem to be an equal pain in the rear end. That reel should fit any tank, though.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

HPL posted:

Hell, half the time people assume there isn't even film in the camera which makes for interesting times when people think that you're just pretending to take their picture.

Who would walk around with an empty camera? Why would they assume you're just some loon with an empty camera? Where do you live that it's commonplace? I don't even :psyduck:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FasterThanLight posted:

An urban youth at nearby basketball court called me a nerd when he saw my FM2 as I walked past. Kids today :argh:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Rontalvos posted:

Who would walk around with an empty camera? Why would they assume you're just some loon with an empty camera? Where do you live that it's commonplace? I don't even :psyduck:

I don't know. All I know is that when I'm toting a Rolleiflex or Century Graphic or Mamiya Press or whatever I usually get the odd question if there's film in it. I think it's mostly because people think you can't get that kind of film anymore.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

HPL posted:

I don't know. All I know is that when I'm toting a Rolleiflex or Century Graphic or Mamiya Press or whatever I usually get the odd question if there's film in it. I think it's mostly because people think you can't get that kind of film anymore.
I've had a few relatives and friends in the past month or two surprised that anyone still makes film at all.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Mannequin posted:

Edit:

Unrelated question - do any of you find UV filters helpful for cutting down on purple fringing/chromatic aberration in your photos? I know they can help with color correction and obviously for lens protection, but this article states it can help with fringing. One of my first 35mm rolls with Portra 400 had some pretty bad examples but they were shot at widest aperture without any UV. Obviously stopping down helps, but some situations call for wide aperture and I don't want CA to ruin the image. I am also deciding on whether or not I should invest in a Bay 60 UV filter for my hasselblad, but new they're like $150 and I'd rather not spend it if it's not necessary. Truth is, I haven't shot enough film to really know the difference yet.

I never use one and never have issues. I think it might be a bit different with film, but CCD/CMOS are still sensitive a bit below 400 nm (and the optics might still transmit some) and will probably render UV as purple. A UV filter would cut that.

I can't fathom spending that much for a UV filter, though and I never use one or have problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mannequin posted:

As mentioned, film has fairly specific sensitivities so it probably won't get you anything there. They are another layer of glass that adds air-glass interfaces and diffraction, so there are potential losses especially if it's poor quality. On the other hand, especially with a Hasselblad you may want to protect the glass if you ever intend to resell it.

Why don't you get a Bay-60 -> XXmm thread stepup ring and then some threaded filters? Marumi Super DHG circular polarizers scored at the top of that CPL shootout (as good as B+W and Heliopan) and are very cheap, you could either leave a CPL on or get a Super DHG UV filter.