Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PeterWeller posted:

It might be a weight thing. I'm pretty sure the hatches are heavier than the sedans.

Focus SE Sedan 2907 lbs
Focus SE Hatch 2920 lbs

Eh by like 13 pounds.

It's probably more of a volume thing. Sales volume, that is. There's already four other trim levels for the sedan and three for the hatch. No need for more variants to make things more complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hmm, figured it'd be more than that. You're probably right then, and it all comes down to volume.

The fuel miser civic is also only available in an automatic sedan.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cream_Filling posted:

Focus SE Sedan 2907 lbs
Focus SE Hatch 2920 lbs

Eh by like 13 pounds.

It's probably more of a volume thing. Sales volume, that is. There's already four other trim levels for the sedan and three for the hatch. No need for more variants to make things more complicated.

This kinda makes sense, if it weren't for the Fiesta offering the SFE regardless of bodystyle. Honestly, I don't get it at all.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

They might be projecting a much more even split between the body styles with the Fiesta than with the Focus. The Fiesta is being marketed as a hip small car, whereas the Focus is targeted at a more mainstream segment, and in America, mainstream means sedans. Honestly, I think the only reason why we're getting a Focus hatch is because all the work has already been done for the European market.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I'm actually very impressed that the new Impreza weighs the same as the Focus but adds AWD and a few inches in length.

Focus SE Sedan 2907 lbs
2012 Impreza Sedan 2910 lbs
Chevy Cruze Sedan 3102 lbs

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 26, 2011

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Cream_Filling posted:

Focus SE Sedan 2907 lbs
2012 Impreza Sedan 2910 lbs
Chevy Cruze Sedan 3102 lbs
This gets me every time I see it. My old '89 Celebrity wagon had seating for eight (if everyone was chummy), an iron block V6, and an enormous four speed automatic, and curb weight was listed as 2888. My '92 Century sedan had an all-iron Buick V6 and sat six (again, friendly) and was 2910. Yes, I know, luxury and safety, but goddamn cars are bloated these days. My minivan weighs less than a base model Charger, ffs. :btroll:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Left Ventricle posted:

This gets me every time I see it. My old '89 Celebrity wagon had seating for eight (if everyone was chummy), an iron block V6, and an enormous four speed automatic, and curb weight was listed as 2888. My '92 Century sedan had an all-iron Buick V6 and sat six (again, friendly) and was 2910. Yes, I know, luxury and safety, but goddamn cars are bloated these days. My minivan weighs less than a base model Charger, ffs. :btroll:

Yeah I can understand the safety luxury stuff too, mostly. But lately some of the "safety" is just retarded - I point specifically to the IIHS's roof strength requirements for cars.
http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/rollover.html

quote:

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 216, Roof Crush Resistance, establishes a minimum requirement for roof strength to "reduce deaths and injuries due to the crushing of the roof into the occupant compartment in rollover crashes." In this test, a rigid plate is pushed into one side of the roof at a constant speed. The roof must be strong enough to prevent the plate from moving 5 inches when pushed at a force equal to 1½ times the weight of the vehicle. The test went into effect in 1973 and remained essentially unchanged until an updated rule was announced in 2009.

The new rule will require that a roof withstand an applied force equal to 3 times the vehicle's weight while maintaining sufficient headroom for an average size adult male. While both sides of a vehicle's roof were required to meet the former standard, only one side was tested on any given vehicle. The new rule requires a second test of the same vehicle's roof on the opposite side. The new standard will be phased in beginning with 2013 model vehicles, and by the 2017 model year, 100 percent of each manufacturer's fleet must comply.

Let's add weight to the top of the car! That won't increase the chance of rollovers at all.

quote:

Vehicles roll over in less than 3 percent of all crashes, but these crashes account for more than a third of passenger vehicle occupant deaths. In 2009, 23,437 passenger vehicle occupants died in crashes of all kinds. Of those, 8,296 died in crashes where their vehicle rolled over.
Rollovers are much more common for SUVs and pickups than for cars, and more common for SUVs than for pickups. In 2009, 56 percent of SUV occupants killed in crashes were in vehicles that rolled over. In comparison, 47 percent of deaths in pickups and 25 percent of deaths in cars were in rollovers.

In other words, SUVs roll over and kill people, therefore we must increase roof strength requirements for cars. And I'm willing to bet that in the fatal rollovers for cars only, a decent percentage of those fatal rollovers took place because of the excessive speed or violence of the crash (i.e. so much energy involved that the car rolled and thrashed around like a race car crash) and thus would receive less benefit from a strong roof.

It doesn't help that a lot of these safety standards come in the form of a mandated engineering feature and not as a total reduction in risk. Everything in design is a balance. For example, if you can reduce the chance of rollovers sufficient to counteract a proportionate decrease in roof strength, then you have the same health outcomes with reduced weight.

Also, I'm getting a little paranoid regarding the Impreza weight numbers. Hopefully they didn't save weight by dropping their symmetrical AWD system for some sort of lighter yet inferior system.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 26, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, I'm getting a little paranoid regarding the Impreza weight numbers. Hopefully they didn't save weight by dropping their symmetrical AWD system for some sort of lighter yet inferior system.

It doesn't get much lighter than the Subaru system.

If they change it it'll be for fuel economy reasons rather than weight savings.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well according to their press release they've lightened the interior materials and a few other small things like switch to electric power steering, but I think the big weight saving is the switch to CVT from the old 4AT.

The CVT/4AT AWD is already "reactive" or "part time", which is why the CVT equipped Legacy gets similar if not better fuel economy than equivalent FWD cars.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Too bad that hp/lb is going down for the next generation. Why, oh why, couldn't the next-generation engine have been a direct-inject 2.5L engine instead of a non-DI 2.0? (Yes, I know. Cost. Don't care.)

VVVVVVVVVV
For both manual and the CVT, or is the CVT just better than the (truly terrible) automatic that it replaces?

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 26, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Power went down, but it's actually quicker.

The roof crush test shouldn't add much weight to the actual roof itself, it's all in the pillars.

For reference, the new Impreza can do 4 times its own weight. Also, since the test is based on the weight of the car, they have incentive to cut down weight as much as possible.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Wait, I thought the next-gen subaru boxers were going to have DI? Or is that just the toyobaru?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Man I wish it was September already, so I could get my hands on a 2012 Cruze with the color touchscreen and pushbutton start both standard on upper trims.

Shoulda had them in the first place, GM. :sigh:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
No, pushbutton start is the devil.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cream_Filling posted:

No, pushbutton start is the devil.

Out of curiosity, why? I don't have it in my car, but it's always seemed pretty cool whenever I've seen it (in my parents' cars for example) and I've never seen any problems with it personally.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

For both manual and the CVT, or is the CVT just better than the (truly terrible) automatic that it replaces?

I'm not too sure on that.

Crustashio posted:

Wait, I thought the next-gen subaru boxers were going to have DI? Or is that just the toyobaru?

The new engine is designed with eventual DI in mind, but they are going for a slow evolution of this engine. That's why the WRX and STI are going to remain untouched for the next model year, they want more time before they turbo it. First, complete redesign and then work out the bugs. Then they'll start adding stuff to it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PT6A posted:

Out of curiosity, why? I don't have it in my car, but it's always seemed pretty cool whenever I've seen it (in my parents' cars for example) and I've never seen any problems with it personally.

Yeah, I mean it's not a big deal but personally I dislike it for personal reasons.

The first is the key issue. If the system still uses a key, then you have to insert the key and turn anyway and then press the button. How unnecessary.
Either that or you have to switch to a keyless system, which I've used before in its Lexus/Toyota incarnations but I'm not a huge fan of it and I worry a little about possible security issues as well. I just feel like it's a needless complication. Hell, Nissan's old pushbutton start/keyless system on the Rogue or whatever actually had a little plastic switch located where the ignition lock cylinder was that you had to turn anyway. I bet adding that keyless system costs at least a couple hundred bucks to do properly, and majorly jacks up key replacement costs. I'd rather they spend that money on something like suspension components or better interior materials.

Secondly, it's an issue of interface design, or more specifically how the effects of interface design are amplified unpleasantly. The start button itself is usually a software button, which inevitably means that the interface programming will be weird. I prefer a hard mechanical connection to as many controls as possible, first of all. Press button to start, that I can understand. But what if the engine fails to turn over? How is recranking, for instance, handled? What if I want to only do accessory power? Do I press, release, press again while tapping the brake pedal? Hold for three seconds until the light turns orange? I know they'll have a solution, but the problem is that it will be different for every manufacturer (at least for a while) and it's just pointlessly frustrating compared to "insert key, turn to desired setting".

And the big one, of course, is shutting off the car. One reason you had the runaway Lexus thing is that to turn off the engine, you can't just press the button but you have to actually hold it for like three seconds. It's just another stupid interface thing that you have to learn and remember and hope you can remember under high stress. And since we're all used to buttons that do only one thing and react more or less instantly, having one software button with variable behavior to manipulate multiple controls is kind of lame. Especially when you have to build in safeguards because it's easy to accidentally hit the huge button in the dash versus simultaneously pressing and turning a key tucked into the steering column.

Why bother? The current key system is perfectly satisfactory unless you are moving entirely to keyless start. It's just another pointless feature aping race cars/exotics but without any real benefits much of the time. The key ignition used in most modern cars is a relatively elegant solution to the interface problem, and I'm ok with it (SAAB's critique that they smash kneecaps notwithstanding).

Dunno, if I've missed something, i'd be happy to change my opinion, too.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 27, 2011

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Cream_Filling posted:

Press button to start, that I can understand. But what if the engine fails to turn over? How is recranking, for instance, handled? What if I want to only do accessory power?

The digital key on my C300 is the same system as my sister's boyfriend's Cherokee, I think it's shared between Benz and Mopar. Keyless entry is just a bolt-on addition to that system, so you can optionally start it with the key as well, which allows you to crank the car indefinitely if it doesn't want to start. There's also a little mechanical key that you can pull out of the main key to unlock the doors if the battery is dead.

There was a class action lawsuit over the apparent need to gut most the computer system if the smart key was lost on older Benzes, so...

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah, I mean it's not a big deal but personally I dislike it for personal reasons.

The first is the key issue. If the system still uses a key, then you have to insert the key and turn anyway and then press the button. How unnecessary.
Either that or you have to switch to a keyless system, which I've used before in its Lexus/Toyota incarnations but I'm not a huge fan of it and I worry a little about possible security issues as well. I just feel like it's a needless complication. Hell, Nissan's old pushbutton start/keyless system on the Rogue or whatever actually had a little plastic switch located where the ignition lock cylinder was that you had to turn anyway. I bet adding that keyless system costs at least a couple hundred bucks to do properly, and majorly jacks up key replacement costs. I'd rather they spend that money on something like suspension components or better interior materials.

Secondly, it's an issue of interface design, or more specifically how the effects of interface design are amplified unpleasantly. The start button itself is usually a software button, which inevitably means that the interface programming will be weird. I prefer a hard mechanical connection to as many controls as possible, first of all. Press button to start, that I can understand. But what if the engine fails to turn over? How is recranking, for instance, handled? What if I want to only do accessory power? Do I press, release, press again while tapping the brake pedal? Hold for three seconds until the light turns orange? I know they'll have a solution, but the problem is that it will be different for every manufacturer (at least for a while) and it's just pointlessly frustrating compared to "insert key, turn to desired setting".

And the big one, of course, is shutting off the car. One reason you had the runaway Lexus thing is that to turn off the engine, you can't just press the button but you have to actually hold it for like three seconds. It's just another stupid interface thing that you have to learn and remember and hope you can remember under high stress. And since we're all used to buttons that do only one thing and react more or less instantly, having one software button with variable behavior to manipulate multiple controls is kind of lame. Especially when you have to build in safeguards because it's easy to accidentally hit the huge button in the dash versus simultaneously pressing and turning a key tucked into the steering column.

Why bother? The current key system is perfectly satisfactory unless you are moving entirely to keyless start. It's just another pointless feature aping race cars/exotics but without any real benefits much of the time. The key ignition used in most modern cars is a relatively elegant solution to the interface problem, and I'm ok with it (SAAB's critique that they smash kneecaps notwithstanding).

Dunno, if I've missed something, i'd be happy to change my opinion, too.

None of this is of any concern unless you're literally mentally retarded or have that Memento condition and can't remember simple things like a two-step sequence of button presses.

And which "safeguards" do you have to build in to avoid hitting a button on the dash? I mean, I have yet to accidentally hit any button on my dashboard in god knows how many years of driving. Sorry, but I just get this image of someone drooling on himself and screaming incoherently as he windmills his arms around every time he gets in a car.

The point of a keyless system, by the way, is not to ape race cars but to remove the annoyance of manually locking/unlocking your car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Scabrous Teat posted:

The point of a keyless system, by the way, is not to ape race cars but to remove the annoyance of manually locking/unlocking your car.

Which is great, but plenty of cars don't have true keyless entry. You gotta get the fob out and press unlock, and then put it back in your pocket and push the start button. I think that's sheer stupidity and gimmickry.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Nissan Altima Hybrid I had you just pushed a button on the door to unlock. That's cool.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

The Nissan Altima Hybrid I had you just pushed a button on the door to unlock. That's cool.
Yeah, I drove a Lexus HS250h hybrid that had a little swipe pad on the doorhandle that unlocked and a different one that locked it. I think it may also auto-lock once you get far enough away from it, but I didn't test it.

The neat thing is that if you killed the battery, you could still start it by removing the spring-loaded hidden key inside the keyfob to open the door, and then holding your keyfob against some part of the dashboard while pushing Start.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

I think Clarkson covered this one.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Scabrous Teat posted:

None of this is of any concern unless you're literally mentally retarded or have that Memento condition and can't remember simple things like a two-step sequence of button presses.

And which "safeguards" do you have to build in to avoid hitting a button on the dash? I mean, I have yet to accidentally hit any button on my dashboard in god knows how many years of driving. Sorry, but I just get this image of someone drooling on himself and screaming incoherently as he windmills his arms around every time he gets in a car.

I was talking about push-button start, not keyless entry. Pushbutton start as a feature without keyless entry has no real reason to exist except to ape race cars since you have to have somewhere to insert the key anyway. With keyless entry, you can justify it since there has to be a way to start your car.

There are already safeguards in most button start systems, which is why you have to hold the button down for x seconds before it turns the car off instead of having it turn the car of instantly when pressed. The safety system's in there primarily for liability reasons.

Quick, how do you turn the engine off and then switch to accessory power? I bet it's a different sequence for your car than on another maker's car. It's a minor, trivial annoyance but an annoyance nonetheless.

In regards to the separate issue of keyless entry systems, I would rather have the money it takes to have a secure keyless entry system and smart key fobs spent on something else since I don't see a real problem with mechanical keys on commuter cars.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 28, 2011

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

Cream_Filling posted:

Quick, how do you turn the engine off and then switch to accessory power? I bet it's a different sequence for your car than on another maker's car. It's a minor, trivial annoyance but an annoyance nonetheless.

In regards to the separate issue of keyless entry systems, I would rather have the money it takes to have a secure keyless entry system and smart key fobs spent on something else since I don't see a real problem with mechanical keys on commuter cars.

Its the same for all cars.

Step 1 Hit button once to turn off car.
Step 2 Hit Button once to turn on Accessory mode.
Step 3 Doesn't exist

To start the car you push down on the brake and hold the button for a second. Doesn't matter what the make Ford, VW, GM, BMW, Chrysler, Mercedes, Toyota, Nissan, Fiat, JagLR, whatever.

Physical keys are actually LESS reliable. Step one a complex series of tumblers, springs and pins slide up and down inside the key cylinder. Two a wireless signal is sent to the keys transponder to send cryptographic ID codes. Three turn the tumbler which slowly wears out the wires through the friction of the turning cylinder. Four a mechanical position sensor detects the tumblers position and starts the car.

Keyless? Step 1 Push a capacitive-based push button , Two the car asks for the key to send valid cryptography keys for the car. That's it.

Hilariously, keyless start is actually CHEAPER to implement then key based, but for marketing reasons they charge more for it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wankie posted:

Physical keys are actually LESS reliable.

Keyless? Step 1 Push a capacitive-based push button , Two the car asks for the key to send valid cryptography keys for the car. That's it.

You have to steal the physical key, instead of snooping the keyless entry code out of the air, as has already been demonstrated.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

kimbo305 posted:

You have to steal the physical key, instead of snooping the keyless entry code out of the air, as has already been demonstrated.

You still have to steal the keyless entry fob. Its called public key cryptography. The car sends a message seeded with random number using a public key that ONLY fob can decrypt based on extremely large prime numbers. The fob using it's private key decrypts it sends back the correct answer. Sniffing keys wirelessly doesn't do poo poo, the codes needed change every single time the car asks for authentication.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wankie posted:

You still have to steal the keyless entry fob.
You only have to be near it and repeat its signal over to the guy waiting by the car. Which is far easier than pickpocketing.
http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/27037/page1/

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

I was talking about push-button start, not keyless entry. Pushbutton start as a feature without keyless entry has no real reason to exist except to ape race cars since you have to have somewhere to insert the key anyway. With keyless entry, you can justify it since there has to be a way to start your car.

There are already safeguards in most button start systems, which is why you have to hold the button down for x seconds before it turns the car off instead of having it turn the car of instantly when pressed. The safety system's in there primarily for liability reasons.

Oh I agree, the setups where you have to insert a keyfob into the dashboard (like on A4 I think) are retarded. But come on, it will take you what, two minutes to learn how your button start works? It's not confusing at all.

Yes, the sequence will be different in different cars, and it's also completely irrelevant unless you're Scrooge McDuck and own like 300 different cars with button start. There are also many different ways to operate the AC, wipers, stereo, and cruise control that all vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It's just not a valid complaint in my opinion.

There's no real problem with mechanical keys, but that's also a somewhat silly complaint - it's just gradual introduction of a new convenience feature. It has no drawbacks and some pretty good benefits.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

kimbo305 posted:

You only have to be near it and repeat its signal over to the guy waiting by the car. Which is far easier than pickpocketing.
http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/27037/page1/

You need to read more carefully:

quote:

The researchers tested a few scenarios. An attacker could watch a parking lot and have an accomplice watch as car owners as entered a nearby store. The accomplice would only need to be within eight meters of the targeted owner's key fob, making it easy to avoid arousing suspicion. In another scenario, a car owner might leave a car key on a table near a window. An antenna placed outside the house was able to communicate with the key, allowing the researchers then to start the car parked out front and drive away.

A car won't open or start if the signal from its key takes too long to arrive, so the researchers devised a way to speed communication between their antennas. Most relay attacks require the signals to be converted from analog to digital and back, which takes time. The researchers were able to keep the signals in analog format, which reduced their delay from microseconds to nanoseconds and made their attack more difficult to detect.

This "attack" is retarded. Their connecting by CABLE two wireless receivers one held by someone near the person with key fob and other inside the car in question. If you see a person with a long rear end cable standing next to your car with their hand on the door sensor with a cable connected to another person with an antenna trying to get very close to your pockets/purse be very weary.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wankie posted:

This "attack" is retarded. Their connecting by CABLE two wireless receivers one held by someone near the person with key fob and other inside the car in question. If you see a person with a long rear end cable standing next to your car with their hand on the door sensor with a cable connected to another person with an antenna trying to get very close to your pockets/purse be very weary.

Do you really think that'd be the end of it? Also from the article:
"Francillon says that the materials ... for the wireless attack cost between $100 and $1,000, depending on the electronic components used."
Obviously the cable version was the fastest thing they could rig up to prove it could work.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

kimbo305 posted:

"Francillon says that the materials ... for the wireless attack cost between $100 and $1,000, depending on the electronic components used."
Obviously the cable version was the fastest thing they could rig up to prove it could work.

Note the word "microseconds" capturing the wireless key fob signal, transferring it via wireless then using a transmitter to rebroadcast the signal was too slow (the system expects the correct response instantly) Literally, the attack by the laws of physics can NEVER work wirelessly, its too slow. They get around this keeping the signal analog and using a cable to transfer signal. Not to mention most cars keep checking the that key is in range by sending NEW signals which the attackers CAN'T fake. All you need is a small firmware upgrade to shorten the time window even further, or put the car theft mode if a correct signal is not received every minute.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

You can also break a window and connect the wires or whatever and drive away. There are always ways to bypass any security system, but modern keyless entry systems combined with modern security features are pretty good at deterring most car thieves.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wankie posted:

Note the word "microseconds" capturing the wireless key fob signal, transferring it via wireless then using a transmitter to rebroadcast the signal was too slow (the system expects the correct response instantly) Literally, the attack by the laws of physics can NEVER work wirelessly, its too slow. They get around this keeping the signal analog and using a cable to transfer signal. Not to mention most cars keep checking the that key is in range by sending NEW signals which the attackers CAN'T fake. All you need is a small firmware upgrade to shorten the time window even further, or put the car theft mode if a correct signal is not received every minute.

You'd need some heavy duty gear to have the latency you'd need, but it'd certainly be possible. I'm sure the security can be tightened up, too, but these are the same companies that nickel and dime everything to death.

I don't think it'd ever be worth it or possible to jack someone's Civic using a war cart made from commodity parts. But I could see someone's Ferrari disappearing from between where they parked it at the gate of their mansion if someone got lazy about wireless security implementation.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Quick, how do you do it in a traditional key+ignition cylinder system?
Rotate towards you? Away? Push and rotate? Is power available at the first detent or the second? I've driven cars with at least this many different ways of doing it. I've never driven a car with pushbutton start, but I can't imagine it would be more complicated than a key system.

eames
May 9, 2009

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/28/zagato-unveils-new-tz3-stradale-with-the-heart-of-a-viper-and-th/

Production version of the Zagato TZ3 (Zagato CF Body on a Viper ACR chassis)

Not sure what went wrong there, but I think it looks terrible, like something from the early 80s. :stare:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

It's like an Alfa 8C gone wrong.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It is awesome.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I see nothing wrong with that - it's just a modern Pantera. Pretty Italian body with a big bloody engine. It even has sweet part windows like all good supercars. Like the SVX. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

eames posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/28/zagato-unveils-new-tz3-stradale-with-the-heart-of-a-viper-and-th/

Production version of the Zagato TZ3 (Zagato CF Body on a Viper ACR chassis)

Not sure what went wrong there, but I think it looks terrible, like something from the early 80s. :stare:

gently caress I love the front but it looks like they ran out of money before they got to designing the rear end...