Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

OT: What do you think of your Saddleback?

Derail: if you're looking for a travel bag, check out the Tom Bihn Tri-Star. I flew with one for the better part of two years and it's bulletproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

primitive posted:

Derail: if you're looking for a travel bag, check out the Tom Bihn Tri-Star. I flew with one for the better part of two years and it's bulletproof.

That looks very similar to the Patagonia MLC I use (the green bag.)

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

BonzoESC posted:

It's loving heavy but amazing; it just feels awesome and durable, and I get tons of compliments on it. I alternate between long strap and backpack on it every other week it seems.

That was the first time I traveled with it, so ask me in a year.

Also OT, but what size did you get? I've started saving for one, but didn't know which size would work best to travel with.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

heyou posted:

Also OT, but what size did you get? I've started saving for one, but didn't know which size would work best to travel with.

Large in Dark Coffee Brown; it's got room to spare with my 13" MacBook packed inside a Zeroshock 3, so a 15" MBP would fit pretty well, but a 17" aircraft carrier probably wouldn't.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
$500 for a travel bag seems steep. What justifies the price?

how was the landing on the MD-11. There has been talk about the aircraft being difficult to land smoothly.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gigButt posted:

$500 for a travel bag seems steep. What justifies the price?

how was the landing on the MD-11. There has been talk about the aircraft being difficult to land smoothly.

It's a big durable bag with a century-long warranty and timeless style. $500 for one great bag is a good deal if it replaces a series of eight or ten decent bags at $100 each.

The MD-11 landings didn't seem worse or better than any other landing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

BonzoESC posted:

It's a big durable bag with a century-long warranty and timeless style. $500 for one great bag is a good deal if it replaces a series of eight or ten decent bags at $100 each.

The MD-11 landings didn't seem worse or better than any other landing.

You have a $500 murse.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Aeronautical Insanity: Post hot handbags and yap about luggage and stuff

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

anyone know of any operating DC3/C47 in so cal that offers rides?

Skydive Arizona in Eloy, AZ has a DC-3 that they fire up for jumping on special occasions. http://www.skydiveaz.com/Skydiving-Facilities/Aircraft.aspx

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
e:gently caress that. im not funny.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

VikingSkull posted:

Aeronautical Insanity: Post hot handbags and yap about luggage and stuff

Still better than arguing about cellphones.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
:science: Smokey Yunick had a hard card* for Eastern Airlines that allowed him to fly wherever he wanted to go at any time. It was issued to him personally by Eddie Rickenbacker.

*not really a card, more of a handshake followed by many angry phone calls at terminals throughout the country, and dozens of Eastern employees being embarrassed publicly by a crusty old man with a pipe

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 27, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

:science: Smokey Yunick had a hard card* for Eastern Airlines that allowed him to fly wherever he wanted to go at any time. It was issued to him personally by Eddie Rickenbacker.
:j: "Sir, you appear to have falsified your baggage weight by 250lbs over your permitted allowance, and customs want to know why you're drinking your duty-free through ten feet of garden hose"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrChips posted:

The entire family, from the original Challenger 600 to the CRJ-1000, share the same fuselage cross-section. Some of it is due to what I mentioned earlier, but it also occurred to me that not only are there none of the dreaded CRJ window seats (where banana-shaped people have their only advantage over the rest of us) in the business jets, but also because there are typically no overhead bins either, which frees up a ton of headroom.

Oh great. I've got about 5 hours in a CRJ twice this coming week. In a window seat no less. :sigh:

Maybe I'll see what a business class upgrade is worth.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I seem to remember that there was some sort of raised siding like a foot off the floor bordering the wall of the passenger cabin on the last CRJ flight I took. As a 6'4" individual, I relished the opportunity to rest my foot on this instead of trying to cram both my legs right in front of me.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

:j: "Sir, you appear to have falsified your baggage weight by 250lbs over your permitted allowance, and customs want to know why you're drinking your duty-free through ten feet of garden hose"

:clint: Hold on a sec while I call Eddie loving Rickenbacker personally.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BonzoESC posted:

$500 for one great bag is a good deal if it replaces a series of eight or ten decent bags at $100 each.

Goddamn, 8 or 10 bags? I'd have to include every backpack I owned through childhood to total 10 bags in my lifetime.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Godholio posted:

Goddamn, 8 or 10 bags? I'd have to include every backpack I owned through childhood to total 10 bags in my lifetime.

I can totally understand buying a $500 murse. The craftsmanship and material selection have got to be out of this world. Some people have the money to spend on stuff like that. This is also the reason progressive taxes exist.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Off the top of my head I have 5 different backpacks that I currently use and I'm planning on buying another later today or tomorrow. Only one of those was under $100, and even that went over when you consider that I took it to a tailer and had custom work done to it.

This is also not counting luggage or duffle bags.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Skyssx posted:

I can totally understand buying a $500 murse. The craftsmanship and material selection have got to be out of this world. Some people have the money to spend on stuff like that. This is also the reason progressive taxes exist.

Fair enough...I'm all in favor of people having the freedom to buy whatever ridiculous thing makes them happy (I have my own oddities), but I will continue to mock people with obsessions that baffle me.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

Off the top of my head I have 5 different backpacks that I currently use and I'm planning on buying another later today or tomorrow. Only one of those was under $100, and even that went over when you consider that I took it to a tailer and had custom work done to it.

This is also not counting luggage or duffle bags.

Who the hell takes a backpack to the tailor?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Skyssx posted:

I don't really drive my car, so that gas money has to go somewhere.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Mr.Peabody posted:

It makes more sense than buying a $500 murse. A good professional tailor will do quality work for less money than most people think, whereas the murse was likely made in the same sweatshop as the cheap knockoff purses sold at swap-meets everywhere.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

emf posted:

It makes more sense than buying a $500 murse. A good professional tailor will do quality work for less money than most people think, whereas the murse was likely made in the same sweatshop as the cheap knockoff purses sold at swap-meets everywhere.

Saddleback Leather is made in the US.

I'd rather spend $300 on a Tom Bihn (made in Seattle) or $500 on a Saddleback than buy something $50 and disposable.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Y'all guys sure gots some strong opinions on a purse. :clint:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
The $30 rollaboard I bought 12 years ago still works just great. It's a shame I've had to buy 2 new bags since then due to FAA regulations and airline policies (and incompetence with luggage) that effectively force us to change the way we travel every few years.

$23 rolling backpack works just fine, and despite being the same dimensions as my largest rollaboard, is never forced to get weighed, checked or gate-checked. I HATE airlines that weigh carry-ons and force you to check if they're more than 5 lbs or whatever their asinine weight limit is.

Functional is the height of fashion IMHO. No bag is worth $500.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
so what size stiletto heels do you all prefer

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Heel height or shoe size?

Mr.Peabody posted:

I had a pocket modified to be a proper padded laptop pocket. It's very nice and you can't tell it didn't come that way. I've had that backpack for right at 10 years now and there's not a torn bit on it despite my abuse.

primitive posted:

Saddleback Leather is made in the US.

Saddleback stuff is actually made in Mexico.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

slidebite posted:

Oh great. I've got about 5 hours in a CRJ twice this coming week. In a window seat no less. :sigh:

Maybe I'll see what a business class upgrade is worth.

Biz class ain't worth it in a CRJ because it's still really uncomfortable.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

even the pilots are cramped in a CRJ

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Great. Welp, thanks for saving me the dough.

FullMetalJacket posted:

even the pilots are cramped in a CRJ
OH GREAT.

Look out for my thread in a week or two:

Ask me about developing a DVT

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

slidebite posted:

OH GREAT.

Take baby aspirin. :(

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

slidebite posted:

OH GREAT.

yeah, i've sat in the pilots seats of a cf 18 and a crj-300 series and the hornet's cockpit had more room to move in. getting into the pilots seat of a crj is like getting into a lotus.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
What caused that?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Is that guts I see splattered in that dent?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is that the V 777-ER that had to turn back out of LAX?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That smaller dent must have been the head :wtc:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Usually there's blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Is that the V 777-ER that had to turn back out of LAX?

Unless the pictures are flipped, that's the wrong engine. Flight VA02 (which is what I assume you are referring to) had problems with the left engine, and they are still trying to determine what caused it. On the other hand, I think reason for the problem with the pictured aircraft is somewhat self evident.